Platoons LS & Ds Feedback and ideas going forward.

Vinny_Vader_Vedi
4626 posts Member
edited February 2018
Not sure where to put this thread as it concerns both TBs. I would also like general feedback and thoughts from the community.

Imo platoons stink. I understand why they are there - for the challenge of completing them and to work as a team with your guild- communication and coordination.

The problem with platoons for me: it faults the player for spending money or farming a toon to 7*. If you are a huge Rose and Holdo fan for example- you paid good money to use those toons. The best way you can use them in Ls Tb is to put them in platoons. Same goes for ds Tb with Sith Marauder and the more toons to follow.
My suggestion is easy- switch them. Have Ls Tb use dark side toons for platoons and Ds Tb use Ls toons for platoons. Keep it the same format phases 1-3 are concrete and known before hand. Phases 4-6 are random.
By switching the affiliation to their opposite Tb needs, players can use these toons in that Tb.

It’s simply not fun or expense savvy to pay for toons and then just platoon them. There has to be a better way and I feel this is a good middle ground or starting point to a conversation that needs to happen.

Replies

• This platoon stuff is no good for the future of the game. Will be like battlefront 2 fail strategy. Just broadly grow hate n reduce popularity.

#fail
  • Or let characters in platoons still participate in the fight, and lower the max number of characters you can contribute per platoon from 10 to 5. This way you can contribute to the platoon, still use those characters in that territory for combat missions, yet still have to think and coordinate as a guild for who puts which characters where.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Lock down adding of toons for platoons, it's not Pay to Play but Pay to make it easier for the not so strong in the guild, then a bad RNG comes along and they still can get any more waves, and you can't use the toon so what's the point of buying it, for other than look I got the toon 7 :star:
    Edit: corrected Auto correct
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • There are so many ideas. And as much as we poo poo the devs, they have been listening. Things are just a bit slower than we would like. This sith raid is a fan service for kotor. And it’s great I’m happy for kotor fans.
    There’s a severe lack of ds toons too, but they are coming in, it just takes time for the cadence.

• There are so many ideas. And as much as we poo poo the devs, they have been listening. Things are just a bit slower than we would like. This sith raid is a fan service for kotor. And it’s great I’m happy for kotor fans.
    There’s a severe lack of ds toons too, but they are coming in, it just takes time for the cadence.

Idk, i'm pessimist about the new raid. What if they put requirement chars there? not only "whoever" chars as long as they're *7 :frowning:
  • RacerDejak wrote: »
    There are so many ideas. And as much as we poo poo the devs, they have been listening. Things are just a bit slower than we would like. This sith raid is a fan service for kotor. And it’s great I’m happy for kotor fans.

Idk, i'm pessimist about the new raid. What if they put requirement chars there? not only "whoever" chars as long as they're *7 :frowning:

The raid should be difficult and challenging. I’m excited. I think there should be 2 character shard drops. One for naat and one for Haat. I digress.

Platoons are the worst part of this game rn. And there are many simple and easy solutions that will go a long way.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The only issue is you make the missions exponentially easier by doing that. The goal behind platoons using needed toons is it creates a strategic situation where you have to think about who you will place there and negotiate that across the whole guild.

No one wants to donate a Finn (well before RJT). Who wants to lose 5 or 6 DT. Run an empire mission without tarkin and TFP.

I'm a fan of change but I feel that would be too much.

I agree, no one is chomping at the bit to bu y a toon to have it look all nice and shiny in a platoon.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    First of all, i don't enjoy the platoon aspect of TB either. Platoons are horrible for players that actually buy these characters.
    That said, your suggestion would take away a large part of the "strategy". For example, do I platoon my TFP, or do i really need him for 4/4 waves? It also makes sure that you usually can't just use the same teams for each battle, wich is pretty much the only thing i enjoy about platoons.
    Personally i'm not that bothered by p2p platoons since i'm not buying any character and most certainly not to shove the character in a platoon. As a guild we do fine without flling the p2p platoons. It's not the end of the world, you don't all of a sudden score 10 stars less and it's certainly not worth the money the needed toons cost.
    Personally i liked it the way it used to be; p2p toons in the 2/6 platoons so that guilds can fill 4/6 without having to pay for toons. This still gives an advantage for p2p guilds, but also prevents guilds from not being able to even get 2/6 for the bonus.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    ^ oh, and extra DS characters that get requested. I've noticed myself being happy about a p2p toon being part of a platoon because that meant i didnt have to deploy 5 imp troopers in that particular platoon -_-
  • Kyno wrote: »
    The only issue is you make the missions exponentially easier by doing that. The goal behind platoons using needed toons is it creates a strategic situation where you have to think about who you will place there and negotiate that across the whole guild.

No one wants to donate a Finn (well before RJT). Who wants to lose 5 or 6 DT. Run an empire mission without tarkin and TFP.

I agree, no one is chomping at the bit to bu y a toon to have it look all nice and shiny in a platoon.

For sure. And I get why they are doing it. But I feel this is not the “right” way, rather there are “better” ways. If they switch it they can increase the difficulty.
    It’s no coincidence that 50/50 people in my guild have tfp and there were 22 tfps needed. It’s a coordination nightmare.
    And super close to say forget platoons from 4-6 because most of the time my guild can fill 1 or 2 at best. (120mil gp)
  • Funderbolts
    223 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Kyno wrote: »

If the goal behind platoons is to rapidly add new characters to them, create a moving target that is rarely ever achieved, all while promoting spending on new characters, then it achieves this goal.

If the goal is to be a strategic and fun addition to a guild event, I don’t feel like it’s even remotely meeting that intent.

Spending > guild communication in order to fill platoons, which is not and cannot be equated to “strategy” (except from a business perspective). Additionally, you’re punishing the very players who go and spend money to get these new characters.
  • Vinny_Vader_Vedi
    4626 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    It’s similar to the 600 issue. How many guilds are using spreadsheets or 3rd party apps to see who has what toon? Just for platoons. It’s too much energy spent for something that all I am doing is putting them in a spot so my teams don’t get an aoe attack that can take out my team.
    There are so many ideas. And as much as we poo poo the devs, they have been listening. Things are just a bit slower than we would like. This sith raid is a fan service for kotor. And it’s great I’m happy for kotor fans.

The raid should be difficult and challenging. I’m excited. I think there should be 2 character shard drops. One for naat and one for Haat. I digress.

Platoons are the worst part of this game rn. And there are many simple and easy solutions that will go a long way.

I think i'm used to feel that the more we are excited about something new, the more they let us down. :frowning:

- LS TB
    It's exciting, guild token, reward, challenging, etc. When i'm so happy i can expand my chars, they reduce TB. Solution for this condition is double shard SM reward. Not double on whole reward.

- DS TB
    I'm exciting, finally can use my DS char into something. But it's broken. The enemies too OP compare to LS TB.

Later on, platoon reduce my excitement about both TB game mode.

- TW
    Bad matchmaking, lot of bugs.. It doesn't fun anymore :frowning:

Sorry if i don't have great excitement about the new raid :disappointed:
    RacerDejak wrote: »

I think i'm used to feel that the more we are excited about something new, the more they let us down. :frowning:

- LS TB
    It's exciting, guild token, reward, challenging, etc. When i'm so happy i can expand my chars, they reduce TB. Solution for this condition is double shard SM reward. Not double on whole reward.

- DS TB
    I'm exciting, finally can use my DS char into something. But it's broken. The enemies too OP compare to LS TB.

Later on, platoon reduce my excitement about both TB game mode.

- TW
    Bad matchmaking, lot of bugs.. It doesn't fun anymore :frowning:

Sorry if i don't have great excitement about the new raid :disappointed:

Haha expect the worst and hope for the best lol.
    Tw I have no problem with. But I guess it’s mind set and reward tier. It’s low stakes. I lose nbd, gimme that zeta!

I love ds Tb - I’ve been waiting for this for so long. I have a Gar Saxon zeta! That’s how much of a fanboy I am for Empire. I can just about run 3 Empire squads in it.
    Wompa looks sooo cool and will destroy Rebels but alas we ll need him in platoons. This is the problem.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I have a Gar Saxon zeta! That’s how much of a fanboy I am for Empire.
    Wow !
    Wompa looks sooo cool and will destroy Rebels but alas we ll need him in platoons. This is the problem.
    Pray he's in the same platoon as a p2p toon your guild doesn't have, that's what i do ;)
  • Or if you really want to make platoons interesting, remove the “this character goes in this slot” concept altogether. Instead of slots, make it GP based. Right now you need 90 characters to complete a platoon mission fully. Instead, say that there are 90 slots of whatever character you want to add, light or dark side, but the GP total of added characters need to hit a certain amount to progress. Just like the deployment totals in a territory, but for platoons.
  • leef wrote: »
    I have a Gar Saxon zeta! That’s how much of a fanboy I am for Empire.
    Wow !
    Pray he's in the same platoon as a p2p toon your guild doesn't have, that's what i do ;)

It makes it much easier to communicate actually. When I saw rose in Ls Tb I was like ok all no platoons for us, go with god. Also don’t get the gar zeta, Leef- you’re welcome.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Or if you really want to make platoons interesting, remove the “this character goes in this slot” concept altogether. Instead of slots, make it GP based. Right now you need 90 characters to complete a platoon mission fully. Instead, say that there are 90 slots of whatever character you want to add, light or dark side, but the GP total of added characters need to hit a certain amount to progress. Just like the deployment totals in a territory, but for platoons.

That idea I actually really like
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Ztyle wrote: »
    Or if you really want to make platoons interesting, remove the “this character goes in this slot” concept altogether. Instead of slots, make it GP based. Right now you need 90 characters to complete a platoon mission fully. Instead, say that there are 90 slots of whatever character you want to add, light or dark side, but the GP total of added characters need to hit a certain amount to progress. Just like the deployment totals in a territory, but for platoons.

That idea I actually really like

Same. This is a convo that needs to keep happening. Needs to be on going. I know devs are busy but we should remain silent on it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

If the goal behind platoons is to rapidly add new characters to them, create a moving target that is rarely ever achieved, all while promoting spending on new characters, then it achieves this goal.

If the goal is to be a strategic and fun addition to a guild event, I don’t feel like it’s even remotely meeting that intent.

Spending > guild communication in order to fill platoons, which is not and cannot be equated to “strategy” (except from a business perspective). Additionally, you’re punishing the very players who go and spend money to get these new characters.

So I guess you missed the month or so we didn't have any toons released, ok. In actuality the target was moved once, they added new toons to the mix of platoons. Once they did that you can settle up on the fact you will or will not fill them right there.

If you don't think filling platoons is a strategy then you should speak to Stormy, who I believe had the job of doing that to achieve the first full star TB.

No one is forced to pay. You can just accept it will take you longer to gain the extra stars and be happier in life not thinking about closing all or even any platoons. Sometimes you get lucky.

So I guess you missed the month or so we didn't have any toons released, ok. In actuality the target was moved once, they added new toons to the mix of platoons. Once they did that you can settle up on the fact you will or will not fill them right there.

If you don't think filling platoons is a strategy then you should speak to Stormy, who I believe had the job of doing that to achieve the first full star TB.

No one is forced to pay. You can just accept it will take you longer to gain the extra stars and be happier in life not thinking about closing all or even any platoons. Sometimes you get lucky.

I think it’s a more a general feeling of not working or not fun. Whatever you want to call it. As it is now, it’s a detriment. And we should always try to make this game better player and devs. It’s a relationship and we all need eachother.
    The devs do listen, and the devs do implement things to better the experience. But just because I can sim gw doesn’t mean we can’t talk about other aspects of the game that can be improved. I think and feel many others think platoons can be reworked.

The target is moved every time a marquee event is released, or in case you missed the recent debacle with Sith Marauder, sometimes it’s moved before the event even occurs.

The cadence laid out for marquee events clearly states that those characters will get shuffled into farmable positions at or around 3 months (which hasn’t always been strictly followed). If the marquee event characters are being added to platoons before that 3 month F2P transition, how can you possibly defend that action as being anything but a P2P move? If we are getting marquee characters every month, that means those who don’t buy into it will ALWAYS fail to hit that target.

So no, I don’t think filling platoons is a game strategy, I think it’s a business strategy, one of which the player base is growing weary.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

The target is moved every time a marquee event is released, or in case you missed the recent debacle with Sith Marauder, sometimes it’s moved before the event even occurs.

The cadence laid out for marquee events clearly states that those characters will get shuffled into farmable positions at or around 3 months (which hasn’t always been strictly followed). If the marquee event characters are being added to platoons before that 3 month F2P transition, how can you possibly defend that action as being anything but a P2P move? If we are getting marquee characters every month, that means those who don’t buy into it will ALWAYS fail to hit that target.

If you are not paying for characters you will not fill platoons, it's a simple yet unfortunate fact. That is the goal post, have all the toons in game or not. Platoons have always been shifting the characters required.

I understand many people feel this way, but other than wicket ,MT, zombie, and spirit who were explained when the events launched that they would not follow the cadence. Can you name a single toon who didn't follow the Candence??

I would also like to point out that the cadence was made to give a timeline going from event to farmable, which even for the toons listed above did happen, just not to the farmable locations listed in the cadence. So they were not even that far off on those.

This is a far cry better than how aurodium pack toons played out in the past. Is it perfect no, but at least they are trying to make things better and more clear.
  • So much better than tournaments as well. Imagine if tournaments were still around and having platoons! That’s a nightmare.
    Again though- I m not going to ask someone who spent money on SM to platoon. And it’s not fair to those that spent money not to use that toon.

If you are not paying for characters you will not fill platoons, it's a simple yet unfortunate fact. That is the goal post, have all the toons in game or not. Platoons have always been shifting the characters required.

I understand many people feel this way, but other than wicket ,MT, zombie, and spirit who were explained when the events launched that they would not follow the cadence. Can you name a single toon who didn't follow the Candence??

I would also like to point out that the cadence was made to give a timeline going from event to farmable, which even for the toons listed above did happen, just not to the farmable locations listed in the cadence. So they were not even that far off on those.

This is a far cry better than how aurodium pack toons played out in the past. Is it perfect no, but at least they are trying to make things better and more clear.

Shifting the discussion to focus on release cadence is missing the point. The release cadence was simply used as a supporting point for my assertion that platoons are not meeting a basic intent for strategy, but rather a way to further impress a need for players to spend money on new characters.

P2P vs F2P is always going to be an ongoing discussion over where the benefits of spending money should end. Personally, I think money spent on a game should be for cosmetic or minor upgrades that don’t give game-changing advantages, but that’s me. I don’t have a problem with being personally excluded from maximum completion on events due to my decision not to immediately buy every character they add to the game. What I do take issue with, is that fact that the entire guild is forced to suffer and that even the players spending that money for the characters are not being able to use them due to a bad system.