Let's talk about shard cooperation

Prev1
I don't know how or when this things started but it seems to be trending now. People are finding their arena opponents and they are joining discord channels where they basically make arrangements to keep themselves higher up in rewards and "snipe" others to lock them down while their friend climbs up.

Unfortunately the situation gets out if control as you go towards higher ranks, where basically you have 10 people ganking up on 1. This is really frustrating for players who put in the work to build a top team that can challenge people for the first spot.

I know it's technically not violating any rules, but I doubt that this is how the game was intended to be played. We need a different system that doesn't allow this ganging up on people and locking them out of rewards.

I don't know how this could be achieved but I know that this cooperation is becoming increasingly frustating and unfair.

Replies

• Join the arena cartel. We have cookies.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Firstly I just want to say if this topic stays on topic and polite, we are ok to leave it open. Once it goes down an unfriendly path we are directed to close it.

One of the biggest problems with any changes comes from things that are not possible due to programming constraints or unfair to the whole shard.

I will find the quote about the technical side in a few minutes.

On my point for the whole shard: in many cases you are looking for a solution against 20-30, for 1-5, that will effect 2000-5000. It's hard to balance that out correctly to actually be fair.

Side note, there are quite a few sports out there that this general tactic is used and it is the norm. So to say it was not intended may not really be the case. It actually could have been an expected outcome and seen as too difficult to prevent.
  • I'm not in my shard chat (if there is one) but honestly it benefits, because if the top 10 want to work together and all have 10 different payout times why not get 1st place rewards??
  • From my experience, shard chats are to get people working together to make arena less annoying. 1 of the most annoying things is seeing someone sniping you in top 10 when you know their payout isnt for many hours and yours is in 10 minutes. This is the benefit of working together, to avoid unnecessary hostility. If I know your PO time and you know mine we can not hit each other when its close to each others PO times. If its not near your PO then its fair game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    B0untryHR7 wrote: »
    [...] I know that this cooperation is becoming increasingly frustating and unfair.

For who though? The fraction of players that can compete for top ranks but is excluded?
    Shardchats have no influence on any player outside of the top50 and benefit more players in the top50 than that get excluded.
    I'm not sure why it's suddenly such a hot topic, but if i were a gambling man it's because alot of players got a competative team all of a sudden. So yea, it sucks to be the new guy for various reasons.
    End of the day, for players who've been ranking top5 for months, been through the whole sniping phase and grew tired of it, shard chats are making arena so much more enjoyable.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • DRV
    173 posts Member
    PiffGuru wrote: »
    From my experience, shard chats are to get people working together to make arena less annoying. 1 of the most annoying things is seeing someone sniping you in top 10 when you know their payout isnt for many hours and yours is in 10 minutes. This is the benefit of working together, to avoid unnecessary hostility. If I know your PO time and you know mine we can not hit each other when its close to each others PO times. If its not near your PO then its fair game.

What this guy said. This is exactly how we run our chat. No blocking, no ganging up on outsiders. Announce your payout, you get added to the list. Check the list and don't attack people within 2 hours of their payout. Simple.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    [...] I know that this cooperation is becoming increasingly frustating and unfair.

For who though? The fraction of players that can compete for top ranks but is excluded?
    Shardchats have no influence on any player outside of the top50 and benefit more players in the top50 than that get excluded.
    I'm not sure why it's suddenly such a hot topic, but if i were a gambling man it's because alot of players got a competative team all of a sudden. So yea, it sucks to be the new guy for various reasons.
    End of the day, for players who've been ranking top5 for months, been through the whole sniping phase and grew tired of it, shard chats are making arena so much more enjoyable.

To add to this, the one shard chat isn't the other. Some are agressively battling anyone outside of their group and some just respect eachothers pay-outs. So you can't really say all shard chats are good, or all are bad.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I personally would like them to remove arena. Find some other means to get rewards. The problem is shard chats aren't all inclusive. A few players decide who gets top rewards and who doesn't. If you are one of the many players left out. You really can't compete. If you cause a ruckus everyone will bump you way down. The only way to stay towards the top is not try for top 10. The fact that it's supposed to be pvp and isn't any longer is the reason it's an outdated and a flawed game mode. The reason for the collusion is simple crystals equal faster progression. There isn't any way to stop everyone from doing this. The only real answer is to get rid of it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    I personally would like them to remove arena. Find some other means to get rewards. The problem is shard chats aren't all inclusive. A few players decide who gets top rewards and who doesn't. If you are one of the many players left out. You really can't compete. If you cause a ruckus everyone will bump you way down. The only way to stay towards the top is not try for top 10. The fact that it's supposed to be pvp and isn't any longer is the reason it's an outdated and a flawed game mode. The reason for the collusion is simple crystals equal faster progression. There isn't any way to stop everyone from doing this. The only real answer is to get rid of it.

While this may be your situation, please read this:

To add to this, the one shard chat isn't the other. Some are agressively battling anyone outside of their group and some just respect eachothers pay-outs. So you can't really say all shard chats are good, or all are bad.

• I didn't mean for mine to come over negatively. There isn't enough payout slots for everyone to be let in. I'm on an old shard and honestly there isn't much difference in quality from 1-100. With so many viable arena squads it's rock paper scissors. Anyone can win. The older your shard gets, the easier it is to make a squad that can be competitive. Especially with the ep Vader reworks. Everyone on older shards have them. Not that hard to zeta ep lead and be competitive anyone that's been around since mods came out has no reason not to have 5 sets of arena quality mods. My point basically isnt a mode that determines quality of squad or anything else. Other things would be a lot more fun and rewarding.
  • Graives
    49 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Personally, I don't want to have to collude with people to cheese Arena payouts. This game already soaks enough time.

They should just rework the way the Arena payouts are calculated. Give you a 24 hour window... and you get rewards based on the highest rank you hit in that 24 hours... regardless if you drop before the window closes.

So if I start the window at, say... 55, but I'm able to hit 28... but end the window at 87.... the payout will give me rewards for that 28. No collusion/coordination necessary. New competitors can break into the upper bubble more easily, and old competitors don't have to juggle payout times on Discord.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Will never happen. Do you know how much more they'd have to pay out in rewards?

I don't understand the point of these threads, they're always the same with the exact same arguments on both sides.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Graives wrote: »
    Personally, I don't want to have to collude with people to cheese Arena payouts. This game already soaks enough time.

Coordination is a substantial time saver.
  • I guess I don't see how it could save time, but then, I don't do it.

From my perspective, you have to do Arena matches whether you're coordinating or not. That doesn't change.

The extra "time" comes into play by having to hunt down shard mates, get on a discord chat with them, and then keep track of different players' payout times, whom to target (the poor sod who's not in the Discord chat), etc.

Maybe it's not like that, but I don't know.

I'd just like to play the game without doing the Discord Arena shard gymnastics, and have as fair a shot as anyone to get max payout.
  • Liath wrote: »

Coordination is a substantial time saver.

This. Most shard chats make it so you don't have to be on at payout every. single. day.

Also, many shard chat groups simply "target" people who snipe others outside of their own payout. A simple rule of thumb - even if you're attacking people because you won't be able to play later is simply to not attack at 5-10 minutes before the hour (especially if you have no idea when their payout is). You run the risk of accidentally sniping them out of their payout.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Graives wrote: »
    I guess I don't see how it could save time, but then, I don't do it.

From my perspective, you have to do Arena matches whether you're coordinating or not. That doesn't change.

The extra "time" comes into play by having to hunt down shard mates, get on a discord chat with them, and then keep track of different players' payout times, whom to target (the poor sod who's not in the Discord chat), etc.

Maybe it's not like that, but I don't know.

I'd just like to play the game without doing the Discord Arena shard gymnastics, and have as fair a shot as anyone to get max payout.

Once you find everyone and once you know payouts you know who to avoid at what times and so do they. You’ll probably still have to refresh but this way you’re not battling back and forth all the time because you’re no longer battling someone who is trying to climb as well. Get into position when you can and nobody will bother you. Time saved.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I guess I don't see how it could save time, but then, I don't do it.

Not having to worry about being sniped means you may not need to do as many battles, you don't need to maximize the length of the battles, and you don't need to try to precisely time when the battles take place.
  • Also instead of trying to cram all your battles into 1 hour you can start early and don't have to worry as much about getting pushed back
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    They should just rework the way the Arena payouts are calculated. Give you a 24 hour window... and you get rewards based on the highest rank you hit in that 24 hours... regardless if you drop before the window closes.

It's been suggested many times before, and as always:

What you suggest would result in a flood of crystals on the market, since everybody will earn higher ranks. It will probably never happen.
  • Waqui wrote: »

What you suggest would result in a flood of crystals on the market, since everybody will earn higher ranks. It will probably never happen.

No it wouldn't.

Currently, with a well spread out discord shard 10-20 players can all get #1 rewards at their different payouts

With an average ranking those 10-20 players would be averaging rank around 6 or so. It would be less crystals on the market.

A few whales would spend lots of crystals to keep refreshing and attacking to get #1 or 2 average. CG gets more money, and whales get the pride of being #1
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Waqui wrote: »

No it wouldn't.

Currently, with a well spread out discord shard 10-20 players can all get #1 rewards at their different payouts

With an average ranking those 10-20 players would be averaging rank around 6 or so. It would be less crystals on the market.

A few whales would spend lots of crystals to keep refreshing and attacking to get #1 or 2 average. CG gets more money, and whales get the pride of being #1

Except the OP didn't say "average" - it said "highest achieved" - so yes, it would be a higher total paid out. The 10-20 would all still hit #1 at some point and many others would get higher ine the "between" times.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Side note, there are quite a few sports out there that this general tactic is used and it is the norm. So to say it was not intended may not really be the case. It actually could have been an expected outcome and seen as too difficult to prevent.

@Kyno Awesome... Could you name a couple??
  • Blizzisme wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Pretty much any racing sport. Distance running, bicycling, car racing, marathon canoeing, etc. Everyone is competing for first place and there can be a lot of cooperation along the way. It's also not unheard of for the winner (usually of a stage, not the entire race) to be determined at some point during the race before the finish line is crossed.
  • @Nikoms565 my mistake. I skimmed a little too fast on that one
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Not just sporting, if you have watched Survivor, Richard Hatch won the first season by forming a Voting Alliance. And this is a pretty extreme case where there is only 1 payout.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    Blizzisme wrote: »

Pretty much any racing sport. Distance running, bicycling, car racing, marathon canoeing, etc. Everyone is competing for first place and there can be a lot of cooperation along the way. It's also not unheard of for the winner (usually of a stage, not the entire race) to be determined at some point during the race before the finish line is crossed.

@Blizzisme :wink:
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

This is why nobody in North America watches bicycle racing, rofl.
  • cuyler41 wrote: »

Nope but they watch Nascar and it happens there too
  • Darthpedro wrote: »
    cuyler41 wrote: »

Nope but they watch Nascar and it happens there too

You do, of course, realize that there is a portion of North America that exists between Canada and the Mason Dixon Line, right?

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

No it wouldn't.

Put on your reading glasses, dude. You are discussing rewards based on average rank within a window, while Graives suggested basing it on the highest rank attained.