Restrictions

I know the title is too vague so let me quickly elaborate. Many characters are restricted by their gear pieces. I realized that while I was using different characters for haat. Dispite being g11 some of my characters had ridiculously low damage and health.

This is a big problem for the game and you can see it with the nightsisters. Dispite how they perform due to plague, they still get trashed by other characters. I mean whenever I hit the acolyte with my raid Han I "eat" through her protection and I take her as low as 35% health. And that's a gear 12 acolyte I'm talking about. Same happens to many other characters like assajj, palpatine, ect. I mean the only way these characters stand a chance is due to an overpowered mechanic (plague) that skips protection and eats percent health.

Another example is my dathcha, when I use him in haat at g10, only 1 piece away from 11, he gets destroyed with just a few hits. His health is very low and even when I boost it with my best health mods, it still feels too low. Same for Sidius, who without his zeta, his health is incredibly low, even at gear 11. He literally gets smashed to the grave by the aat while others are not even struggling.

Same thing happens with Qui Gon Jin who despite having the best leader ability for Jedi in the game, is still severely lacking in survavability and health.

I can name a tom of characters who suffer from this but it would take hours. The point is that by being outdated these characters have incredibly low stats. This isn't only a health thing, it's about damage too. The biggest problem though is that this cannot be fixed because gear pieces cannot be replaced. This mean that these characters will forever be stuck with horrible stats.

This also makes reworking them extremely difficult, as pure stat growth is very hard to do. You would have to beastify their multipliers which I don't know if it's possible.

So what do you do? Do you give them broken mechanics like plague? And if you go down this path then you risk unbalancing the game. Or do you simply leave them in the trashcan to be forever unused?

I really hate those restrictions that the gearing system inherently puts on characters. We need a system thats adaptive and able to be modified all the way to the core. Otherwise as the years pass we will watch ou favourite toons go away and never become playable again, and that is simply unacceptable.

Replies

• What you describe is the natural order of games. Old toons become old and relegated to cannon fodder duty while new toons move to the forefront.

Instead of upgrading old and out dated toons try working on new toons. Plan ahead.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I have really been liking my NS, they use a different mechanic and rely on revive to overcome shortcomings.

I think its working with synergy and new skills, not always relying on brute force. Raid Han is pretty squishy.
  • Haruk
    108 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    My NS team, which is Ventress lead, Talia, acolyte, initiate and Ahsoka currently in the 5th slot is a pretty badass team. With 3 healers, crazy speed (they're basically Dark Side ninjas), and solid damage and protection, they can beat a lot of teams. And on phase 4 of normal tank, easily do 4 million+ damage. Don't know about Haat, as my guild isn't strong enough for it yet.
  • To a certain extent, ewoks use revive a lot.

**** Jedi Rey + bb8 + Jedi Rey burst
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    the game would suck so much more if every character was actually viable/able to compete in top tier arena.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • @leef that's a ridiculous statement that makes no sense explain.
  • @RelentlessEternity that is a blatant lie. That is not the natural order of any game. League of legends, DotA 2, world of Warcraft pick an rpg, constantly rebalances and upgrades characters classes to keep everything semi relevant and playable and to have variety. Why on Earth would you make something terrible and leave it terrible that's just making the game bad overall then ignoring it. I don't know what **** games you're playing that make bad content and go eh **** it next time.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    PotatoShoe wrote: »
    leef that's a ridiculous statement that makes no sense explain.

if characters aren't better than others, why bother farming them? Why panic farm JTR, or any toon for that matter, if you could just use good ol' lumi lead with chewy, consular, sid and geo soldier (read: day 1 toons)?
    Long story short, it keeps the game interresting in the long run.
  • TVF
    36584 posts Member
    B0untryHR7 wrote: »
    I know the title is too vague so let me quickly elaborate.

Sorry you already lost me.

The only thing worse than an accidental clickbait thread title is one done on purpose.

Have a nice day.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

The only thing worse than an accidental clickbait thread title is one done on purpose.

Have a nice day.

Actually if i had to title it accurately it would be a 3 line title. I think the title sums it up well
  • leef wrote: »

if characters aren't better than others, why bother farming them? Why panic farm JTR, or any toon for that matter, if you could just use good ol' lumi lead with chewy, consular, sid and geo soldier (read: day 1 toons)?

Uhh i disagree. Have you seen some of the whales who have all toons unlocked and all maxed gear 12. Do you think they care? They still enjoy the game. Most humans are completionists in their nature and they want all that's out there. A clasic example is pokemon, not all pokemon are the same in terms if power however the moto of pokemon is to "catch them all" and to complete your pokedex.

But let's not sidetrack. What you are describing is that if everyone was great in arena it would end panic farming cause people would just use whatever team they have in arena and wait until the new toon became free to play.

However I never said they should all be meta and arena gods, I specifically mentioned mostly raid examples and I think that dispite how a character performs in arena, they should still have a place in raids. Obviously some kits are more geared towards raid and some are more geared towards pvp. So all characters should be viable at one or the other, mostly raids tho.

When it comes to raids specifically, having more squads and choices/mechanics to chose from is actually much more enjoyable for the player and I'm sure noone would get bored and quit the game because if it. It would also help if raid rewards were universal. This way players wouldn't have to compete intensely for that littlw bit of extra damage in order to gain a possition up or two. This forces players to only use the best and most efficient squads possible and therefore they would only go for the best option available, ignoring all others.

So no, I don't think that if more factions weren't on the trash can, that the hame would somehow be worse, that makes no sense really...
  • B0untryHR7
    663 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    leef wrote: »

My biggest problem is with characters not being able to even topple the tank because of their low damage, and even if they end up topling then they can't even survive a couple of burn phases cause they don't have protection/health recovery mechanics and their low health can't tank many hits. The damage/survavability ratioscannot handle the tank. Also I get the concept of a "glass cannon" but most of these characters are a "glass arrow" cause the damage they put out there is really not even close to compensate for their incredibly bad survavability.
  • TVF wrote: »

Have a nice day.

Didn't lose you enough to waste time posting.

And... omg... clickbait. Worst thing ever! Rivals cancer, the plague, famine, kidney stones & soggy cereal.

Is there a post from from you anywhere on this forum that isnt, in some way, also an insult?

@B0untryHR7
    NS may be squishy, but between plague & their revive mechanic... they hold their own. And then you have Asajj... who can hit for 120k+ off her basic in short order on raids.

I personally like that each toon has strengths & weaknesses. Makes thing more challenging.
  • TVF
    36584 posts Member
    t0neg0d wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Have a nice day.

And... omg... clickbait. Worst thing ever! Rivals cancer, the plague, famine, kidney stones & soggy cereal.

Is there a post from from you anywhere on this forum that isnt, in some way, also an insult?

You're right, I've never answered a question providing information or advice.

Lol.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • t0neg0d wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Have a nice day.

@B0untryHR7
    NS may be squishy, but between plague & their revive mechanic... they hold their own. And then you have Asajj... who can hit for 120k+ off her basic in short order on raids.

I personally like that each toon has strengths & weaknesses. Makes thing more challenging.

Well if you read the post you would know that I did say something about Nightsisters. I said the only way way to make them viable because of their bad stats they had to give them an extremely overpowered mechanic, like plague and of course tons of reviving. But you can't that for every faction to compensate for poor gear stats. It wouldn't make sense for the separatists for example.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Why is that a problem though? Aren't you happy you can get 30m+ scores with just one team in the AAT, or auto the entire rancor in just 7min?
    I'm quite happy i don't have to use my jedi anymore in p1 of the hAAT. Back then i was quite happy if i did 350k dmg.
  • leef wrote: »
    Why is that a problem though? Aren't you happy you can get 30m+ scores with just one team in the AAT, or auto the entire rancor in just 7min?
    I'm quite happy i don't have to use my jedi anymore in p1 of the hAAT. Back then i was quite happy if i did 350k dmg.

And how is that repetitiveness not getting people bored of the game, but having more choices and being able to use other factions, out of choice and personal preference, would make them quit the game? I mean noone forces you to use them, you cab always fall back to your 30 mil super team any time you want.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

And how is that repetitiveness not getting people bored of the game, but having more choices and being able to use other factions, out of choice and personal preference, would make them quit the game? I mean noone forces you to use them, you cab always fall back to your 30 mil super team any time you want.

Point being that it's exciting to do more and more damage.
    The AAT raid has been out for a while, but only recently it has been solo-d by one team. So in that time we were always improving/progressing, wich is the fun part. Now next step is auto-ing the entire AAT raid. The next raid has been announced, so we can start all over with that one.
    To make this possible, some toons get left behind and aren't good for anything anymore, since the new ones must be better in order for players to progress/improve. You can still use them, but you're not gonna do alot of dmg with them. It's all relative ofcourse. Like i said, i was quite happy with 350k dmg back in the day, but if 1 team can solo the entire raid, 44mil dmg or something, that 350k seems like a total waste of time and not "viable". Chances are that the toons you want to use but feel like you can't are the same toons i used to clear hAAT for the first time with my guild.
    I mean, doing 1mil damage isn't much fun if you did 3mil damage the last time, but 1mil dmg is super exciting if your previous max was 200k dmg. Toons becomming "useless" is just collateral damage.
  • B0untryHR7
    663 posts Member
    edited February 2018

Point being that it's exciting to do more and more damage.
    The AAT raid has been out for a while, but only recently it has been solo-d by one team. So in that time we were always improving/progressing, wich is the fun part. Now next step is auto-ing the entire AAT raid. The next raid has been announced, so we can start all over with that one.
    To make this possible, some toons get left behind and aren't good for anything anymore, since the new ones must be better in order for players to progress/improve. You can still use them, but you're not gonna do alot of dmg with them. It's all relative ofcourse. Like i said, i was quite happy with 350k dmg back in the day, but if 1 team can solo the entire raid, 44mil dmg or something, that 350k seems like a total waste of time and not "viable". Chances are that the toons you want to use but feel like you can't are the same toons i used to clear hAAT for the first time with my guild.
    I mean, doing 1mil damage isn't much fun if you did 3mil damage the last time, but 1mil dmg is super exciting if your previous max was 200k dmg. Toons becomming "useless" is just collateral damage.

Bro your arguement doesn't stand, yeah more damage is better only because of how rewards are structured. And again, nothing stops you from going after the super team, but this has nothing to do with other toon's ability to at least be viable. How is it that I use my jedi to get 3 million in p2 negatively affecting the game. If you wanna do 30, go ahead and be my guest, but don't pretend that somehow we have to make everyone else worse in order to make one team better.

There are people who legitimately hate star wars rebels and they don't wanna use Thrawn. Someone may not like BB8. Maybe I have a thing for Jedi and clones and I want to use them exclusively on tank cause I'm a mega nerd and I wanna use toona from the clone wars only.

My point is that it wouldn't affect how you or anyone else plays the game if I am using my Jedi in haat. I never said all factions should be equal and viable doesn't mean they would start soloing phases left and right, but to claim that it's a good thing that you can't survive 2 topples with a specific faction is a good thing, makes no sense to me.

Wanna use your super team, be my guest. Wanna do the absolute maximum damage you can, be my guest. But why should anyone want certain factions to not be viable in any aspect of the game is beyond me.

Lastly, don't make me remind you how rancor has become, might as well sim it at this point. And tank solo runs would tak around an hour and a half and most people don't have the time to do this every 2-3 days. So they end up running one or two teams, getting some quick damage and leaving it there. I understand the initial hype of finding a super team combo and getting massive damage, but that goes away at some point and people like to go back to the teams of their preference. Having more teams included in that list would be great.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Bro your arguement doesn't stand, yeah more damage is better only because of how rewards are structured.
    And again, nothing stops you from going after the super team, but this has nothing to do with other toon's ability to at least be viable. How is it that I use my jedi to get 3 million in p2 negatively affecting the game. If you wanna do 30, go ahead and be my guest, but don't pretend that somehow we have to make everyone else worse in order to make one team better.

There are people who legitimately hate star wars rebels and they don't wanna use Thrawn. Someone may not like BB8. Maybe I have a thing for Jedi and clones and I want to use them exclusively on tank cause I'm a mega nerd and I wanna use toona from the clone wars only.

My point is that it wouldn't affect how you or anyone else plays the game if I am using my Jedi in haat. I never said all factions should be equal and viable doesn't mean they would start soloing phases left and right, but to claim that it's a good thing that you can't survive 2 topples with a specific faction is a good thing, makes no sense to me.

Wanna use your super team, be my guest. Wanna do the absolute maximum damage you can, be my guest. But why should anyone want certain factions to not be viable in any aspect of the game is beyond me.

Lastly, don't make me remind you how rancor has become, might as well sim it at this point. And tank solo runs would tak around an hour and a half and most people don't have the time to do this every 2-3 days. So they end up running one or two teams, getting some quick damage and leaving it there. I understand the initial hype of finding a super team combo and getting massive damage, but that goes away at some point and people like to go back to the teams of their preference. Having more teams included in that list would be great.

I feel like you just don't want to understand what i'm saying. In order for one team to be great, another team has to suck. It's all relative. Getting 3mil dmg with one team was amazing at one point in time, it wasn't possible with just any team you put together. Those were the special teams someone had theorycrafted and everyone worked hard to copy just to get a measely 3mil damage. That's why currently you can't simply do 3mil damage with just any team. Also, if it was possible to do 3mil damage with just any team, the hAAT would have been a joke from the get go.
    You're limiting your own choices because of personal preferences. Part of the fun is finding out what toons work best in wich phase for example, in order for that to be possible there have to be better and worse toons for the job, wich unfortunately for you apparantly means you can't always use your favourite toon/faction and get relatively great results.