Can anyone explain to me the difference between the resistance and the rebels?

Besides the obvious fact that they arent fighting the exact same people

Replies

• https://wikidiff.com/resistance/rebellion

I haven't seen TLJ, but from what I. got from TFA the rebels won and tried to reestablish the Senate. The rebels once they took some degree of power became the established government and rebel fighters became a resistance to the remnants of the Empire forces (who are now rebels, though they seem to consider themselves a government in exile).

Take that with a grain of salt as it could be totally, totally wrong if TLJ provided backstory.
  • From what I gathered from TLJ, the resistance now want to be called rebels
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    JakeC wrote: »
    From what I gathered from TLJ, the resistance now want to be called rebels

Next movie kylo decides they're called the galactic empire instead of the first order.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • The resistance are friends with René and spend time looking for a painting of the fallen Madonna with zeb big ones, I don’t think the rebels do this..

Sorry Monday morning client woes..
  • They’re actually fighting the First Order. A tiny remnant of the Palpatine Empire.
    They are likewise, a tiny remnant of the Rebel Alliance.

TFA begins at a time wherein many of the old alliances, on both sides of the fence, have disolved and the size of the conflict is on a smaller scale. When the First Order uses Starkiller base to destroy the centers of government and commerce, they upped the stakes of the drama sure but, they still didn’t have the resources of the old Empire. Likewise for the Resistance.

Besides, that’s what they called themselves.
  • It is in the Bloodline novel. There were 2 big political parties. one who wanted the power to be more central (centrists) and one who wanted the power to the people (populists). As you could imagine Leia was part of the latter. A extremist part of the Centrists created some small local militia that would be the foundation of the First Order. When Leia discovered the New Republic wouldn't last because of this and the assasination of their candidate for First Senator (Leia couldn't become First Senator because her fathers identity was leaked by a Centrist and public opinion swayed against her). After this realization Leia met up with old friends like Ackbar and Nien Numb and created the Resistance.

The Resistance is practically the same as the Rebellion since they are both created to put an end to the government and they consist of mostly the same main people. It is basically a difference in name and numbers. As for now the Resistance is a lot smaller than the Rebellion since the Rebellin had years to recruit and the Reistance only just started.
  • Like, three decades, and different people...
  • R-E-S-I-S-T-A-N-C-E.

R-E-B-E-L-S..
  • Resistance kicks reworked EP and DV ****. Rebels cant (in most cases).
  • I see it as, the Rebels were rebelling against an already established Empire and the Resitance are resisting the take over of their Government.

Happy Foruming all :)
  • They aren’t really fighting the same exact people just as the resistance isn’t the same exact people. They are new factions. Empire, Rebels, First Order and the Resistance are all different factions coincidentally fighting for the same cause as the previous.

The Rebels never had Leia Organa as a leader but Mon Motha was the Rebel leader. After ROTJ Snooke saw how Empire Palpatine rose into power through corruption and “order” so he decided to start his own faction especially after Kylo started to grow in the dark side. The First Order which pretty much did the same thing the Empire did but newer. So I guess when when Leia found out she decided to take action and make her own faction that of Resistance because the knowledge she gained from being a Rebel.

SPOILER BELOW TLJ SPOILER BELOW

But at the end of the TLJ Luke supposedly says that the Rebel Alliance has been reborn after his passing and when the new Last Jedi is “reborn” so technically I’m episode 9 it would be the Rebels vs the First Order
  • Basically the Resistance is a break off group of the Rebellion. The New Republic that arose after the defeat of Vader and Palpatine chose to declare the empire defunk after the battle of Jakku and ordered the Rebellion officially disbanded. But Leia and a few others knew that a core remnant of the empire still remained and chose to continue the fight under the name of the Resistance. That remnant of officers and generals from the empire were rallied by the appearance of Snoke and formed the First Order.
  • According to the Last Jedi, not a god **** thing
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I see it as, the Rebels were rebelling against an already established Empire and the Resitance are resisting the take over of their Government.

Happy Foruming all :)

Yes but now the First Order have assumed control of the galaxy and now the Resistance are Rebelling against it - so they are Rebels now.

I'm so confused!
  • The whole thing is lame, the FO is just a splinter group, what happened to the New Republic's defense fleet? They have a whole (ok, a big part of a) galaxy of worlds, where did they go? How did the FO take control so easily? WHAT IS GOING ON????

Horrible stories. #notmystarwars
  • To further what was discussed about the plot of Bloodline, the resistance is well known (and its members dont try to hide it) and not illegal. It just doesn't officially have the support of the New Republic, but they aren't going to try and stop them either. The New Republic has no real military to speak of even if they wanted to. The First Order doesn't have the support of the New Republic either, just some of the Centrists (tacitly). When they blew up Hosnian Prime and its whole system in TFA, they became the de facto new government, although they likely blew up supporters at the same time.

The rebels were completely illegal, though had some tacit support from some members of the Senate. They were sort of well known, but their members weren't. They didn't actually have the support of most of the population of the galaxy, but that's more a symptom of the Empire feeding the population really convincing propaganda than the population not believing in the Rebels actual ideals (But they're still a straight up terrorist organization).

They're very different. In fact, legally speaking, the First Order is more similar to the Rebel Alliance than the Resistance is.

Tl;Dr Just read Bloodline. It's spelled out pretty clearly, and it's a good book. It starts a little slow, so give it a chapter or 2.
  • The whole thing is lame, the FO is just a splinter group, what happened to the New Republic's defense fleet? They have a whole (ok, a big part of a) galaxy of worlds, where did they go? How did the FO take control so easily? WHAT IS GOING ON????

Horrible stories. #notmystarwars

Most of the fleet was destroyed by the starkiller attack. The remnants were used by the resistance in TLJ, which are mostly destroyed.

The resistance didn't do a very good job resisting the incoming threat of the FO. Since the FO is in control now, they are rebels. I agree it was kind of dumb to write it that way. They should have just kept them resistance. Labels :(
  • Only in the name. Rebels evolved into resistance, Empire into FO. The Empire is finished, but the plot was still good for milking so they just put it in a different package. Same as the Rebels. It is that simple. It's quite obvious if you immersed yourself just a bit in the new movies
  • The Rebels were formed by groups of people unhappy with the Empire's rule and sought to get rid of it. They were rebels like you'd imagine real world rebels fighting a government.

The Resistance is a private military organization funded by Leia and other members of the New Republic to battle the First Order, as many in the New Republic don't wish to go to war for various reasons ((bribes, fear of becoming like the Empire due to expanding military, etc))
  • The Rebels were formed by groups of people unhappy with the Empire's rule and sought to get rid of it. They were rebels like you'd imagine real world rebels fighting a government.

The Resistance is a private military organization funded by Leia and other members of the New Republic to battle the First Order, as many in the New Republic don't wish to go to war for various reasons ((bribes, fear of becoming like the Empire due to expanding military, etc))

Oh man @JurassicKing, you brought this thread back from the dead!
  • Oops! Sorry >.< I just really like talking about Star Wars with people...not many people I know like it as much as I do.
  • No its fine, just thought this thread wouldve been buried by now