Speed problem

This may not be as big an issue on more mature shards, but I’m in a November shard where most are in the low 80s approaching 85 and just now getting zetas. Since no one in that recent a shard has JTR or even CLS, Empire teams are now ubiquitous in the top 20 of the arena. They destroy NS, and there is no real counter to them available once Palp gets his leader ability zeta. The problem is, this has made arena stale because whoever has the fastest Vader always wins. Go first, Force Crush, Cull, allies get 100 percent turn meter, game over.

This feeds into a larger issue that I’m sure has been discussed as nauseum, but speed is seemingly the only stat that matters in arena, particularly with all the turn meter manipulation abilities. This game is in desperate need of some counter mechanics to speed. Passive abilities that punish toons who take frequent turns, abilities that boost evasion or other important stats scaling with opponent speed. Something. As it stands, it appears my shard will be “fastest Vader wins” for a few months. It’s a problem with the mature meta as well. This game desperately needs different ways to win to keep things from getting so stale.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Turn meter manipulation actually IS the counter mechanic to speed. Punishing characters that take frequent turns is something already present on the team you are running. Boosting evasion also exists - zMaul was meta for a while and many of us were miserable because evasion is awful.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Same story different characters.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Same story different characters.

Yep. My shard used to be all Wiggs and fastest Biggs won.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    @Liath
    There is no counter to speed.
    If you have two turn manipulation teams, the faster tram wins.
    If you have two evasion trams, the faster team wins.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mobewan wrote: »
    @Liath

Of course... but if you have a fast team with no turn meter manipulation, a slower team that does have turn meter manipulation can win. That’s what a counter means. The concept doesn’t apply to effective mirror matches.
  • Options
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    This may not be as big an issue on more mature shards, but I’m in a November shard where most are in the low 80s approaching 85 and just now getting zetas. Since no one in that recent a shard has JTR or even CLS, Empire teams are now ubiquitous in the top 20 of the arena. They destroy NS, and there is no real counter to them available once Palp gets his leader ability zeta. The problem is, this has made arena stale because whoever has the fastest Vader always wins. Go first, Force Crush, Cull, allies get 100 percent turn meter, game over.

This feeds into a larger issue that I’m sure has been discussed as nauseum, but speed is seemingly the only stat that matters in arena, particularly with all the turn meter manipulation abilities. This game is in desperate need of some counter mechanics to speed. Passive abilities that punish toons who take frequent turns, abilities that boost evasion or other important stats scaling with opponent speed. Something. As it stands, it appears my shard will be “fastest Vader wins” for a few months. It’s a problem with the mature meta as well. This game desperately needs different ways to win to keep things from getting so stale.

Use rex lead mate.
  • Options
    FO with Zylo lead can win against NS and Zader teams. They are even easy to farm for F2P
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    @Liath

Everyone get on the tram!
  • Options
    The problem is, this has made arena stale because whoever has the fastest Vader always wins. Go first, Force Crush, Cull, allies get 100 percent turn meter, game over.
    You can still win if the other Vader goes first. I did yesterday, a few times. Yay for bad AI!
    This feeds into a larger issue that I’m sure has been discussed as nauseum, but speed is seemingly the only stat that matters in arena.
    Yes, speed is the most important, but speed alone does not win. I mean, TFP was supposed to be the chosen one, but he is mostly a nomad in search of a real home.
    Passive abilities that punish toons who take frequent turns ...
    Wouldn't that be something? Take massive damage just for taking a turn. Something like an undispellable Thermal Detonator stack, applied similar to Nihilus' Health Down debuff. Oh, you want to take a turn? Here's an automatic time bomb. If any stack reaches 3, all stacks on all enemy characters explode for double damage, ignoring protection. Slowest team wins. The only winning move is not to play.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Hahaha I can't wait for the upcoming Slow Meta.
  • Options
    @Liath

I would argue that plague is the anti speed. If I get plague on the enemy team and they go over and over then they are just killing them selves. Its happened to me many times using RJT vs NS.
    Of course like anything else there are ways to deal with it, and it also does rely on getting that plague off in the first place which if the other team is really that much faster you may not be able to.
    But Im just playing devils advocate here cause I agree, speed is king and will continue to be. I always found it interesting that in anime/manga you see the strongest people are considered the strongest most of the time based on how fast they are. The small skinny fast guy is gonna own the slow lumbering giant most of the time.
  • Options
    Welcome to the top of Arena. It's always been this way. Or at least ever since mods came out. Do they use SithAssassin in the setup? That should boost Vader and get your force crush off quickly.
  • Options
    @PiffGuru
    I see your points about plague, and that you need to change up your team and strategy to deal with it.

My point to Lief is that speed isnt a strategy, it's a necessity to have a tough team, no matter what team you run. Some teams are more forgiving, but the faster they become, the tougher your team becomes.
  • Options

Use rex lead mate.

Assuming an Empire squad is properly modded, Rex will never go first against Vader. He can’t get his ability off before Palp AOE stun.
  • Options
    EPMAN wrote: »
    FO with Zylo lead can win against NS and Zader teams. They are even easy to farm for F2P

Zylo doesn’t have a leadership ability? Do you mean Kylo Unmasked? I’ve been running them, and they cannot match a Palp squad. Vader always goes first, Force Crush, Cull, and the entire Empire squad gets 100 percent turn meter. AOE Palp stun, Shoretrooper taunt and group crit immunity, Thrawn shatter. You will lost half your squad before you even get a turn.
  • Options
    Regarding Plague, Palp squads have ended Nightsisters. There were several in my shard running them before the rework. They have all abandoned.
    TVF wrote: »
    Hahaha I can't wait for the upcoming Slow Meta.

This is the real problem. People just seem willing to accept the game’s crappy balancing. A properly balanced game should give you multiple options for squad makeup as long as gear is at comparable levels.

The underlying problem is that when speed is the only stat that matters and squads aren’t properly balanced, everyone has to chase the same squad, and it’s just a question of who has that extra point of speed.

In a shard like mine, where no one was high enough to get JTR, there is literally no counter to Palp/Vader. So now everyone is running them and it’s gotten stale and boring. If you are in a more mature shard where JTR beats Palp and Palp beats NS and NS can beat JTR, you at least have some variety.
  • Options
    problem is that mods are imbalanced. the when comparing the secondary stats to each other, speed obviously provides a larger benefit than other secondaries.

that's should be the main purpose of 6 and 7 star mods, if they are to introduce them.

if the developers are to address this "issue", then they should increase speed by a small amount for 6 and 7 star mods while increasing the other secondary stats by a large amount e.g. maybe the highest speed secondary being 35 and other secondaries increasing to something like 17-18% protection or offense or something for 7 star mods.

while i don't know what the exact balance for the trade off of each secondary stats will be, this may be in the right direction
  • Options
    Han solo is anti fast character with his shoot first
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Use rex lead mate.

Assuming an Empire squad is properly modded, Rex will never go first against Vader. He can’t get his ability off before Palp AOE stun.

Rex lead will still feed TM to your team when they are criticaly hit.

How do you fare in LS territory battles? ROLO lead is great against empire. TM when getting debuffed and foresight when damaged by empire enemies.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    This is the real problem. People just seem willing to accept the game’s **** balancing. A properly balanced game should give you multiple options for squad makeup as long as gear is at comparable levels.

There ARE multiple options. In fact I have rarely seen so many options as right now.

Furthermore, there are a variety of business models. This game is not based on balancing the various characters, but instead on letting power creep making it necessary to always farm/buy the new/reworked toons that are going to be the new shiny thing. And the game providers do quite well at this.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    rex and raid han have been making inferior teams win on offence for quite a while.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    rex and raid han have been making inferior teams win on offence for quite a while.
    Rex with powerfull chars can counter Palp-Vader : each crits from Force Crush will give 15% TM to Rex so he'll have 100% TMat the same time as Vader if he's fast enough and with Tenacity Up the Sith and Epmpire are a lot less threatening
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Maybe thrawn lead can make up for speed. Palp lead against slower opponent, Thrawn lead against faster opponent.
    Thrawn works perfectly fine at 5* G11
    This game is in desperate need of some counter mechanics to speed. Passive abilities that punish toons who take frequent turns, abilities that boost evasion or other important stats scaling with opponent speed. Something. As it stands, it appears my shard will be “fastest Vader wins” for a few months. It’s a problem with the mature meta as well. This game desperately needs different ways to win to keep things from getting so stale.

"Passive abilities thay punish toons who take frequent turns." Guess what, you have it: Palpatine. Zader also qualifies for that.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Man, if only that were true i'd hold rank so much better. I was getting beat eventhough i was faster so gosh darn often. Currently i'm not even fast in comparisson, but i'm doing better than before.
    Rex cheese woohoo
  • Options
    @leef
    I am talking about the same team composition. Of course a similar team that is slightly slower can beat you if they play smart, but not if they have +0 extra speed from mods.

If you run rex, try running fast rex.
    You'll see what i mean.
    Winning will become much easier and beating you will become much harder.

The real problem is that teams like jtr, ns, and now empure can beat the snot out of rex and cls teams with really bad mods....oh well.
    But of those new meta teams get faster (+120 or +130 speed) they will become nearly unbeatable.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef
    I am talking about the same team composition. Of course a similar team that is slightly slower can beat you if they play smart, but not if they have +0 extra speed from mods.

You'll see what i mean.

The real problem is that teams like jtr, ns, and now empure can beat the snot out of rex and cls teams with really bad mods....oh well.
    But of those new meta teams get faster (+120 or +130 speed) they will become nearly unbeatable.
    @Mobewan
    Point is you can counter speed, wich doesn't mean that more speed isn't almost always beneficial. You can also counter crit dmg, but more crit dmg is still beter than less.
    There are plenty of teams that don't need to be fast to win. Some teams do significantly worse when facing a mirror team with more speed, some teams only do slightly worse. AI is horrble though, so in most mirror matches the human controlled team wins, especially if it's a team that only does slightly better with more speed.
    Rex cheese beats those +120/+130 teams btw. The only character with more than +100 on my team is rex (+110) and i'm doing fine, on offence aswell as on defence. Ofcourse the team will be even better with more speed, but i really dislike modswitching.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @leef

Yes, any team will be even better with more speed.

Yes, some types of teams can beat other types of teams (even if they are faster) if their skills give them turn meter advantage.

We are in conplete agreement
  • Options
    Vet Chewy is actually an awesome example of a counter to speed. The slower he is the more powerful he is.

Unfortunately he has no synergy with top characters and alone (or with Han) just isn’t good enough to make an impact.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    leef

You'll see what i mean.

@Mobewan
    Point is you can counter speed, wich doesn't mean that more speed isn't almost always beneficial. You can also counter crit dmg, but more crit dmg is still beter than less.
    There are plenty of teams that don't need to be fast to win. Some teams do significantly worse when facing a mirror team with more speed, some teams only do slightly worse. AI is horrble though, so in most mirror matches the human controlled team wins, especially if it's a team that only does slightly better with more speed.
    Rex cheese beats those +120/+130 teams btw. The only character with more than +100 on my team is rex (+110) and i'm doing fine, on offence aswell as on defence. Ofcourse the team will be even better with more speed, but i really dislike modswitching.

There isn’t an arms race for mods with higher crit damage. A mod isn’t worthless in arena because it doesn’t have crit damage on it. Speed is far and away the stat that defines virtually every arena match.