Can you explain how shards work? [confused]

After playing the game for a while I just realized that some of the players in my arena shard were not in my fleet shard. In fact after watching both top 50s I only say a couple people that who were the present in both arenas.

This was very confusing because I was under the impression that once you create an account you immediately get paired with people and then you stick with them forever.

Now that I am thinking about it it would be a little strange because if you were thr first to hit level 27 or 28 and unlock arena you would be number 1 automatically and sit there until everyone catches up. Same for fleet, hitting level 68 or whatever fleet is now, and you sit in 1st until everyone catches up.

I'm not sure how many people create an account daily and how shards work so if anyone has the knowledge I would appreciate the input. I'm not trying to listen to speculations only facts. Thanks!

Replies

• TVF
    36586 posts Member
    B0untryHR7 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to listen to speculations only facts. Thanks!

I actually started to type up how I understand things to work, but since there is some speculation in there, never mind.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    You are placed in either arena when you unlock that feature.

You start at the back of the pack, in both.

A new shard opens when they hit the limit.

Arena limit is 20k.

Fleet arena limit, I don't know.
  • Players are automatically placed in arena shards when they hit level 28, there's people who make hoarding and burner accounts, shards start from 0 again after 20,000 in arena so they send in burner accounts and hit level 28 when it's incredibly fresh to hold top arena spots. Ships have a different amount per "shard" but same thing, when you hit level 60 you get lumped into a group of players until it hits [whatever number] and restarts again
  • B0untryHR7
    663 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Kyno wrote: »

Arena limit is 20k.

So if i start an account on the same day as another person and we start leveling at the same time, we both are 1 level away from unlocking arena and there are 19999 spots taken and only 1 spot left. That means whoever levels up will be placed at 20000 and the other one will be 1st placed of the next shard???

That's almost scary, lol. Also if you are the first person in that shard then you technically sit in 1st until more people join???
  • Yes and yes. When I unlocked fleet, I lost my first battle and was ranked a whopping 50th.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • I mean it's scary to think how easily you can get the short end of the stick. If it's all so RNG based then you can get lucky and end up with a high rank or you can be in the 15000+ with no actions of your own. Given the payout system steep curve then you may take months to catch up, which will put you at a dissadvantage in perpetuity due to the others having more time to farm mods, credits and spare shars for gear than you.

Also in addition to that you may end up with a good arena rank and be set, but then you reach fleet and your rank is completely messed up.
  • Basically - which is why all these perfect start guides talk about stalking shards and jumping in right at new account creation.
  • B0untryHR7 wrote: »
    I mean it's scary to think how easily you can get the short end of the stick. If it's all so RNG based then you can get lucky and end up with a high rank or you can be in the 15000+ with no actions of your own. Given the payout system steep curve then you may take months to catch up, which will put you at a dissadvantage in perpetuity due to the others having more time to farm mods, credits and spare shars for gear than you.

Also in addition to that you may end up with a good arena rank and be set, but then you reach fleet and your rank is completely messed up.

The only thing that's random about arena placement when you first enter is how many people are playing and level to 28 (or 60) and in what order. Since it's entirely dependent on how many people are playing it has nothing to do with RNG. Now if it gave you a random placement (real RNG) anywhere among the ranks of people who are already in the shard then that would be unfair to people who get bumped down who entered it before you.

Feel free to give a suggestion for a better system you can come up with.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Arena limit is 20k.

So if i start an account on the same day as another person and we start leveling at the same time, we both are 1 level away from unlocking arena and there are 19999 spots taken and only 1 spot left. That means whoever levels up will be placed at 20000 and the other one will be 1st placed of the next shard???

That's almost scary, lol. Also if you are the first person in that shard then you technically sit in 1st until more people join???

Basically yes.
  • Meerava wrote: »
    I mean it's scary to think how easily you can get the short end of the stick. If it's all so RNG based then you can get lucky and end up with a high rank or you can be in the 15000+ with no actions of your own. Given the payout system steep curve then you may take months to catch up, which will put you at a dissadvantage in perpetuity due to the others having more time to farm mods, credits and spare shars for gear than you.

The only thing that's random about arena placement when you first enter is how many people are playing and level to 28 (or 60) and in what order. Since it's entirely dependent on how many people are playing it has nothing to do with RNG. Now if it gave you a random placement (real RNG) anywhere among the ranks of people who are already in the shard then that would be unfair to people who get bumped down who entered it before you.

I guess my only suggestion is that you give a flat reward to eveyone over 1000 rank equal to that of finishing 1000. The rewards should start scaling under 1000. This way they don't fall far behind from those who were lucky to get a higher initial placement.

In addition shards must have a timer and stop taking in more members after a certain amount of time. This will not hurt players who start the game at a non busy month. I don't have the numbers of how many new players start each dat and thus I can't say for sure but if a shard opens and doesn't fill up fast, after so long it locks with fewer than 20000 players. This way you don't give people much time to build a head start over players who joined a few days later.
  • You already see that in arena - the reward tiers are pretty spread out at the "lower" payouts - 5000-10000, 10000+.
    Fleet is even more generous - 500+ is the lowest. Though we don't know what the limit is.
  • B0untryHR7 wrote: »
    Meerava wrote: »

I guess my only suggestion is that you give a flat reward to eveyone over 1000 rank equal to that of finishing 1000. The rewards should start scaling under 1000. This way they don't fall far behind from those who were lucky to get a higher initial placement.

In addition shards must have a timer and stop taking in more members after a certain amount of time. This will not hurt players who start the game at a non busy month. I don't have the numbers of how many new players start each dat and thus I can't say for sure but if a shard opens and doesn't fill up fast, after so long it locks with fewer than 20000 players. This way you don't give people much time to build a head start over players who joined a few days later.

Nope ,