Mod farming- Waste energy or credit to get one?

The percentage of a good mod is very slim.
And there are two main ways to get it
1. Waste thousands of cantina energy on mod challenge
2. Waste millions of credit buying potentially good mods in store

Which do you think is better?

Replies

• Options
    How often do you see a good mod in store? If you see it buy but it's rare that I see one.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It is rare. But refresh cost is low enough to make up for that. Problem is I haven't had enough credit to buy one. Thinking I should hoard it from now on
  • Options
    It is rare. But refresh cost is low enough to make up for that. Problem is I haven't had enough credit to buy one. Thinking I should hoard it from now on

Agreed. I try to keep 5-10mm saved up. A good mod will cost around 4-5mm credits. I farm a few a day and check the shop. IMO not worth the credits to refresh the shop tho. You could use them for mod farming and the like.
  • Options
    Take a break from farming cantina toons once a month for a week or one day per week. Mod farming is a crapshoot but will payoff
  • Options
    Do both, farm through energy, sell the worthless for credits and buy from the store
    Res non verba
  • Options
    You could save crystals and buy the mod bundles
    Hit the gym.
  • Peer
    299 posts Member
    Options
    You could save crystals and buy the mod bundles

I bought a couple of bundles and the results were disappointing. Farming from challenges is way better. I farm mods regularly and sell every grey mod and every other mod if it does not have a speed secondary. I kept many good mods that are fully levelled and can stuff them on toons in case I have to.

Since speed rules everything do not level mods without speed secondary. Sell them and farm new ones.
  • Options
    I have farmed speed set mod for a while now, say, roughly 40 refreshes. And 90% is grey mod and 9% is green mod without speed. Other 0.9% is blue/purple/gold without speed. 0.1% had speed on it but they didn't upgrade the speed one bit. Is this normal or absurdly bad luck?
  • Options
    I have farmed speed set mod for a while now, say, roughly 40 refreshes. And 90% is grey mod and 9% is green mod without speed. Other 0.9% is blue/purple/gold without speed. 0.1% had speed on it but they didn't upgrade the speed one bit. Is this normal or absurdly bad luck?

Par.for.the course.

I'd like to know what the game changers luck is with their rltest accounts. I bet they aren't allowed to.speak of things like this because of said horrible drops and rolls
  • Options

Sorry to break it to you shardmate, but that seems about right, sadly. 40 refreshes really is peanuts :smile:
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options

https://create.piktochart.com/output/22614458-mod-drop-rate-analysis
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

Sorry to break it to you shardmate, but that seems about right, sadly. 40 refreshes really is peanuts :smile:

Arrrrghhhhh
    ReyCharles wrote: »

Par.for.the course.

I'd like to know what the game changers luck is with their rltest accounts. I bet they aren't allowed to.speak of things like this because of said horrible drops and rolls

Arrrrghhhh 2.. That kind of video would be really helpful too!
    TVF wrote: »

https://create.piktochart.com/output/22614458-mod-drop-rate-analysis

Wow who made this? This is amazing. I might ask you some questions too. Thanks!
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    Who made it? Not me. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Using credits can be worthwhile for rare mods with speed secondary. By rare mods i mean like crit damage triangle, protection/potency/offense crosses, etc.

But if its purple with low 3 speed secondary, and square or diamond (common) and no other useful stats for that character, i wouldnt waste money on it.
  • Options
    I spent about a month just farming mods. I bought one refresh per day and got mostly garbage. However, I got three or four 15+ speed secondaries that made it all worth it.
  • Options
    I remember being able to farm mods. thanks for putting needed both vets in cantina...
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Keep 3 mil in credits on standby for when a speed primary arrow appears for credits. Almost all my speed arrows were acquired that way. I’ll go 6-8 weeks not seeing one and then 3 will show up over the next week.

That infographic is really great and not dissimilar to the results I got when I tracked 300 mod sims. The problem is that arrows, triangles, and crosses drop rate is so low you can’t get an accurate sample size. I wish they would just post the programmed probability to receive certain attributes.

One key thing missing from that graphic, IF you land a color mod it has a 12.5% chance to have a speed secondary visible. That means in all those mythic events that drop color mods, you only have about a 1/8 chance of landing one with speed visible.

Last suggestion, use the weekly cantina energy guild day to farm mods. Creates a habit and you’re likely to do 1 or 2 refreshes that day anyway.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Missing option 3.
    Save the crystals and buy mod packs.
    Currently I do 3 refreshes on Sunday and the buy one mod pack during the week, 1299 crystals a week on mods or 185 crystals a day.
    Yes you miss out on the other things from the challenges but not a big deal imo.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Missing option 3.
    Currently I do 3 refreshes on Sunday and the buy one mod pack during the week, 1299 crystals a week on mods or 185 crystals a day.
    Yes you miss out on the other things from the challenges but not a big deal imo.

Does it give some good mods? How often do you not get any useful mods? And what set do you buy? @scuba
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Missing option 3.

Does it give some good mods? How often do you not get any useful mods? And what set do you buy? scuba

I have gotten some useful ones. I tend to switch back and forth between speed and crit chance. Nice thing is no Grey mods so even if they don't have speed secondary could be useful on a b squad and you can see the secondary stats.
  • Options
    Missing option 3.

Does it give some good mods? How often do you not get any useful mods? And what set do you buy? scuba

I have gotten some useful ones. I tend to switch back and forth between speed and crit chance. Nice thing is no Grey mods so even if they don't have speed secondary could be useful on a b squad and you can see the secondary stats.

I have purchased I believe 10 mod packs and from.what I remember 4 of which were pretty bad. Don't quote me on numbers as my memory is getting worse by the second. I have landed a few of my best mods from packs tho
  • Options
    I don't have the best speed secondaries by any means let's get that straight first. But from the packs have landed a couple +14 several +13 and several other over 10. If you have the crystal income and are.lacking in mods, I think it's the best thing you can buy with them personally regardless of my above post and about a 50/50 shot at disappointment. Last two packs I bought were horrible tho do remember that much
  • Options
    I don't have the best speed secondaries by any means let's get that straight first. But from the packs have landed a couple +14 several +13 and several other over 10. If you have the crystal income and are.lacking in mods, I think it's the best thing you can buy with them personally regardless of my above post and about a 50/50 shot at disappointment. Last two packs I bought were horrible tho do remember that much

Same here. Best mod I got from farming is +10speed. I have about 4 mods of 10 speed. The best mods of all mods I have came from mythic events. +14 and +12
  • Options
    I have 2 mods with 20+ speed secondary both from standard farming
  • ReyCharles
    279 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have 2 +16 and one 15. 15 was.from.r2 mythical and I have no clue where the 16 one came from. No clue

I landed a+14 the other day farming and my Thrawn is taking over now. Hahah. +14, +14 +12 +10 +11 on him, best modded toon for speed that I own. Not bragging at all because I know how much better there are out there
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

That is an important part to remember you can't go with just one as an example. I have had probably similar results. While farming from challenges I might get 1 good mod every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Somone posted a long time ago to farm mods with weekend cantina energy on Sat and Sunday. It works for me.

Also, many of the best mods I have gotten are from the mythic events. I think I got 4 speed secondries last time? A good reward for a good challenge.