What is the best strategy for defense in TW

Prev1
Let’s hear it with scores gp and reasoning to back it up

Replies

• Meta walls. At least one each of CLS, GK-zarris, zaul, zep possibly, jtr if available. The issue is having a balance of defense and offense.
  • Not sure I want to share info on our strategy ;)
  • You may not get much better tactics from a thread on the forums that everyone can read. If a guild has found something that works they most likely won't share it.
  • Of course meta walls are high end and most people have the same stuff. If you are lower a gp guild, have fun trying to get info from people.
  • The 139M guild we just fought decided that ships were all that mattered and put junk in every territory except ships, where they put their best stuff. They were wrong and their ships did not hold, but they did manage to muster enough offense to clear our board for the riveting last-place tie.

#weaksauce
  • The 139M guild we just fought decided that ships were all that mattered and put junk in every territory except ships, where they put their best stuff. They were wrong and their ships did not hold, but they did manage to muster enough offense to clear our board for the riveting last-place tie.

#weaksauce

At least with the update the junk defense strategy should go away. If you are going to put in junk defense, why bother doing anything at all. You'll get the same rewards either way so it's not worth the effort.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Kalano wrote: »
    Not sure I want to share info on our strategy ;)

We put in nothing but 35k teams lead by either CUP or ME. Feel free to steal this strategy.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Stack territories with similar teams. They will either run out of counters and have to use top teams or someone who is only on for 15 minutes will have to use all his teams which can be bad if your similar teams wall are good.
  • Ships
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    No strategy, just skills.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Ships

Yeah but they cheat by only covering 20% of the board. I'd like to see them do well at 80%.
  • We're not an end-game guild, and lack roster-depth (of the ~40 of us there's only 7 85's), but we tend to: front load defense, set power thresholds and quotas on territories, and use a focused attack.

We endeavor to do our best to fill the first four territories (set higher power squads in the top territories in an attempt to bait the enemy guild to go for the bottom territories), the mid, and the first fleet territory. We don't always manage on the last two, but we've been pretty successful on the first point so far. We spread the rest of our defense pretty evenly and try for at least 5 squads in each of the other territories.

We haven't really tried the whole "fill one territory with one kind of squad" strategy yet (I'd like to try it, but the guild isn't convinced and not everyone has the same teams); instead we tell people to set teams they find annoying to fight, tend to underestimate, or that the AI controls decently well. Wish I had a better idea of recommendations to offer for all my mid-game folks, besides Phoenix. In attacks we just prohibit attacks on the bottom territory until top/mid is cleared.

We're at 4-3 so far, which was mostly down to roster disparity between the guilds.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I recommend zFinn teams on defense, as many as possible. The AI is deadly with those.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I recommend zFinn teams on defense, as many as possible. The AI is deadly with those.

Your joking right?
  • Nice try. Not today.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Your joking right?

you weren't?
    Ships

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Your joking right?

The only way to be sure is to try it yourself.
  • Strong teams lol
  • I keep telling people in my guild not to put Resistance on D and every single week I see numerous g10+ resistance teams on D.

Resistance are almost guaranteed win on O and almost guaranteed loss on D. With my g10 resistance team with Poe at 225 speed, they have not lost on attack against far superior teams. They are really good against maxed G12 Vader teams because they nerf his speed buff unique.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    When I see a few zFinn teams in the first two territories I already know we will win.
  • Not giving up strategy on forums that your opponents could use against you during tw is a good start for a defensive strategy.
  • JermChu
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    My guild is currently at 110M GP and we started TW at the tier below this one. we've only lost one match so far because we have a wicked defensive "ace in the hole" strategy which is.... I'm not telling! Are you freaking kidding?!
  • Most guilds do the same thing and it’s all about to change with new point system anyway. This isn’t the CIA.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Most guilds do the same thing and it’s all about to change with new point system anyway. This isn’t the CIA.

Obviously this isn't the CIA. The CIA wouldn't have asked, they would have infiltrated.
    Anyway, you're the one asking, so i guess if it's worth knowing, it's worth not telling.
  • Alright alright.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The only strategy that works is to do your research and understand the game.

Once you find out who you are playing against, check out swgoh.gg. figure out all the teams they could use, then place more specific teams then they have counters for. And hope they run out of offense before you....
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

Once you find out who you are playing against, check out swgoh.gg. figure out all the teams they could use, then place more specific teams then they have counters for. And hope they run out of offense before you....

dang @Kyno
    what guild are you in? that sounds like alot of effort.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

dang Kyno
    what guild are you in? that sounds like alot of effort.

Yeah, i dont do that part of it. I am working on making the spreadsheet more automated.

I like data analytics, I'm sad to say, I have thought about building a SQL data base and a program to handle a lot of this, but that's too much like work.
  • Quit and wait for zeta.
  • Most guilds use the put the best teams in front and worst in the back. Try a different approach.