[Inquiry] Please provide clarification on "Link a Device"

Prev1
kaitco
14 posts Member
edited March 2018
The processs of moving an Android account to an iOS device is unclear.

If I have an iOS account, kaitco, and an Android account, octiak, and I'd like to play octiak on an iOS device, using the generated code states that kaitco will be deleted.

Is this by design? Is there no way to keep both accounts going, or is there a way to move accounts back and forth at will through the Link a Device option.
Post edited by CG_RyDiggs on

Replies

• I would like to know this too.
  • It's technically over writing rather than Linking. You need to create a new account on the new device.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Linking is just that , you cant choose which alt to swap whenever. When you link ios to android its a mirror.

If you want to have alt and main matches you would would need 2 separate accounts for each 1 on each platform.
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • But... Can you play the same account on either platform, or does it actually copy it to the new platform creating a new ally code/player ID? If it copies it to the new platform, can you still play on the original?

My main account is on iOS, and I have an alt on Android. I want to be able to replace my alt on Android so that I can play my main account on either iOS or Android.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    This is the in game description
    e5avn04syj83.png
    You define what is the old (acct to be copied) and the new device where you will overwrite

Once done it is final
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    SandurzGoH wrote: »
    But... Can you play the same account on either platform, or does it actually copy it to the new platform creating a new ally code/player ID? If it copies it to the new platform, can you still play on the original?

My main account is on iOS, and I have an alt on Android. I want to be able to replace my alt on Android so that I can play my main account on either iOS or Android.

You can play the same account on both. This has been the case for a while, you just previously had to get the link done by CS instead of being able to do it yourself.
  • If I linked my iOS to, say an Android tablet, would I be able to do it again to a new tablet if my old tablet broke?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    RKenobii wrote: »
    If I linked my iOS to, say an Android tablet, would I be able to do it again to a new tablet if my old tablet broke?

Yes. Once it’s linked to google play, it will be there on any device on which you log in to that google play account.

ETA: Rather than “yes” I should say you wouldn’t need to.
  • RKenobii wrote: »
    If I linked my iOS to, say an Android tablet, would I be able to do it again to a new tablet if my old tablet broke?

Yes. I’ve done from Android to iOS and also Android to Android.
  • So, if I'm reading this right, the only way to truly "link" devices and maintain multiple accounts is to have a separate Apple ID to link to a Google Play account?

I've got an iPad, but actually 2 alt accounts outside of my main, so sounds like I'd need to create 2 new Apple IDs, one for each alt, connect Play account A with Apple ID B, Play account B with Apple ID C, and then flip in between Apple IDs B and C on the iPad, leaving Apple ID A with my main account on my phone as-is...?
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    kaitco wrote: »
    So, if I'm reading this right, the only way to truly "link" devices and maintain multiple accounts is to have a separate Apple ID to link to a Google Play account?

I've got an iPad, but actually 2 alt accounts outside of my main, so sounds like I'd need to create 2 new Apple IDs, one for each alt, connect Play account A with Apple ID B, Play account B with Apple ID C, and then flip in between Apple IDs B and C on the iPad, leaving Apple ID A with my main account on my phone as-is...?

You got it!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    0. Create a new Google (Play) account.
    1. Play as 'guest' on your new device.
    2. Get a code from the old device
    3. Enter the code on the new device to link.
    4. Sign in to the newly created Google Play account to save the game.

Done! That's what I did. It worked like a charm.
  • shubang
    12 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    No response after typing the DELETE in my new device. I'm using ios and want to use the same account on my android device. Any help?

https://imgur.com/gallery/tK37p

• I hands down love SWGOH (Ignoring my *small* GW grudge) and playing it when i'm out is a fantastic idea to me! However, Google Play stops that from happening by refusing to log me in even though my data network is stable and fine. GP works fine on other games and keeps achievement track and progress but gets sniffy when I want to collect some energy when I don't have an internet connection. I'm guessing this is more so on GP than it is with anything in the game, but I don't want to slug through all my levels and progress all over again on a guest account when i'm happy with the main.

Hopefully there is a day when GP stops being fussy or I can unlink GP from the main and have the main as a guest and swap back when I have a solid internet connection.
  • For those planning on using this feature to perhaps link an Alt account to another device such as an iPad for example, DO NOT do this if you happen to have your main account logged into multiple iOS or multiple Android devices. Using this feature to transfer my alt from Android to my iPod, my main account was logged into my iPod as well as my iPhone where I usually use my main. Upon linking my alt to my iPod, I found out that it had totally replaced my main account on iOS Game Center and now my alt is on both iOS devices. For anyone in the same situation prior to linking the account, I recommend deleting the app from the device you want your other account on and run through the game as a guest before using the link a device feature. It should prevent you the headache of dealing with EA Help support to try and get your account back...
  • On your phone go to settings, app, heros, data usage, click on use mobil data
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Would deleting the app realy be necessary? Wouldn't signing out to play as guest on the new device before linking suffice?

I linked to android successfully yesterday.
  • Usually when you delete and reinstall the app it will start as if you are a new player and you can play as a guest. Though after this screw up it is not working in that way for some reason whereas when I had to reinstall earlier to fix the crashing from new update it did start me off as a guest before I clicked the "Have an account?" button. For iOS I do not think you can sign out of Game Center like you can on Android with Google Play unfortunately for whatever reason or else I would have done that :(
  • Silenzeio
    40 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    @Darth_cowboy Nothing there to do either GP or Heroes. In fact, there's nothing in my apps section in settings to use data on certain apps. Unless there's background data stuff.

@Waqui The account was linked when I first got the app.
  • I just did this. The device you are going to needs a new fresh game on it to over ride. So when I went to put it on my iPad I made a new account link and it was override. Now if you want to from a friends iPad to you. You need to link it first to a none Apple product to unlink it from Game Center. Then relink to the iPad. One more step is not bad. It’s a good way to and easier way then bothering them to do it
  • Caz
    19 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Can someone confirm something before I link?

I currently play on an Android tablet and want to also play on my iPhone. Once I link, will it continuously sync both devices including crystals? So if I play on my iPhone and finish dailies + earn crystals, then later at night I log into my Android tablet, will all progress and crystals be saved?

I know in the past, if you switched to a new device + new platform, it would transfer character progress, but not crystals.

Thank you!
  • kaitco wrote: »
    The processs of moving an Android account to an iOS device is unclear.

If I have an iOS account, kaitco, and an Android account, octiak, and I'd like to play octiak on an iOS device, using the generated code states that kaitco will be deleted.

Is this by design? Is there no way to keep both accounts going, or is there a way to move accounts back and forth at will through the Link a Device option.

Cv
  • kaitco
    14 posts Member
    In case others were curious, I did exactly what was mentioned earlier to enable playing my accounts on my iPad.
    1. Created Apple ID B and Apple ID C
    2. Logged into Apple ID B and Game Center B and restarted the game
    3. Allowed the intro steps to play until the "Have an account" button appeared
    4. Opened the game on the tablet using GooglePlay ID A
    5. Retrieved a code via the "This is the Old Device" button
    6. Enetered that code on the iPad with Apple ID B
    7. Allowed game to "DELETE" the Lvl 1 intro game started
    8. Logged out of Game Center B (it's not necessary to completely change the full Apple ID account each time, just the Game Center account)
    9. Logged into Game Center C
    10. Opened the game and allowed it to run through the intro
    11. Repeated Steps 4-7 again with Game Center C and GooglePlay ID B
    12. The game can now switch in between both alt accounts on the iPad by signing in and out of Game Center
    13. Can also still play the alts on Android devices as well
    14. Could probably switch in and out on my main device and Apple ID, but I'd prefer to just leave that as-is

The setup process was a little cumbersome, but for someone like me who is trying to manage multiple accounts, being able to do this on a device that is more familiar to me is a Godsend. Cheers!
  • shubang wrote: »
    No response after typing the DELETE in my new device. I'm using ios and want to use the same account on my android device. Any help?

https://imgur.com/gallery/tK37p

Same here, why cant connect
  • Caz
    19 posts Member
    Caz wrote: »
    Can someone confirm something before I link?

I currently play on an Android tablet and want to also play on my iPhone. Once I link, will it continuously sync both devices including crystals? So if I play on my iPhone and finish dailies + earn crystals, then later at night I log into my Android tablet, will all progress and crystals be saved?

I know in the past, if you switched to a new device + new platform, it would transfer character progress, but not crystals.

Thank you!

If anyone else is curious, I ended up just trying it and everything worked as planned. I followed the instructions and when I logged into my iPhone (new device), it loaded all of my data from my Android tablet (old device). Character progress & crystals were in tact.

I then played a bit and earned my daily crystals. I force quit/closed my iPhone game (it says you can only play on one device at a time). Then I opened the game on my Android and everything synced as expected.
  • I am an ios player and have been feeling left out when google play had offers that where not avail on itunes... if i create a gp account and link it to my it account, will i be able to buy crystals / packs theough both it and gp? Meaning i could get access to any deals available on either platform?
  • DDthe3rd
    1 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I wish I had read a bit more on this and use my tiny brain as well... I actually wanted to try linking my old android account to my second iOS device, which I did, to later on realize how **** I was, as it did not link the android device to my second iOS device but rather overwritten my Game Center account all across all my iOS devices, meaning I lost my account.
    Don’t be as ignorant as me, because there is no way to reverse this!
    So be careful with this new feature.....

Br,
    A dumb player
    Post edited by DDthe3rd on
  • So for us poor iOS user that cant play on a computer with an emulator, if I find an old android device and link my account to it, I will be able to keep playing on my iOS devices and emulate from a computer since I will be linked to an droid device?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Wolfcast1e wrote: »
    So for us poor iOS user that cant play on a computer with an emulator, if I find an old android device and link my account to it, I will be able to keep playing on my iOS devices and emulate from a computer since I will be linked to an droid device?

You can just straight away create a Google Account on that emulator and then link it. Why’d you need an old Android device for?
  • Wolfcast1e
    526 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Wolfcast1e wrote: »
    So for us poor iOS user that cant play on a computer with an emulator, if I find an old android device and link my account to it, I will be able to keep playing on my iOS devices and emulate from a computer since I will be linked to an droid device?

You can just straight away create a Google Account on that emulator and then link it. Why’d you need an old Android device for?

Did not know you could do it that way, I will try it, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.