Questions and Advice Request from New Player

I began playing SWGOH about a month ago, got hooked and started doing some research that led me to the various farming guides. Realizing that I wasn't "optimized", I decided to reroll a couple of new accounts. So now I have my original account, a 2nd account with Old Ben and Teebo, and a 3rd account with Lando. So, now to the questions/advice section of the post :)
Original account, level 46: This is my play for "fun" account. I am currently playing catch-up and trying to get most of the Phoenix squad, only missing Ezra which I am working on getting now.
https://swgoh.gg/u/javibog/collection/
1 - Saw the credit heist event pop up for the first time. Should I stop working on phoenix, focus on scroundrels, then back to phoenix?
2 - For Arena and GW, im running Hera, Kanan, Chopper, Zeb and Jedi Counselor. I do ok in Arena (i think) and have no issues in GW. Should I keep using Jedi Counselor or switch him out?
3 - How do i know if I am in a good guild? Been in one for almost 3 days, and only saw the Rancor Raid on the first day. I generate 600 tickets per day.
4 - I struggle with deciding on what abilities I need to focus on leveling first and on who. Any tips, or any guides out there that offer that advice?
5 - I linked my account above, any other advice on what I should be focusing on?
- 2nd account, level 11: Following the hoarding leveling guide and focusing on getting Phoenix. Got Old Ben from a Chromium data card and Teebo from a Bronzium one:
6 - I replaced Teebo once I got Talia. Should I bother with leveling up Teebo or meh?
- 3rd account, level 11: Also using the hoarding leveling guide. I got Lando from a Chromium data card.
7 - Since I got Lando, should I also focus on getting Phoenix, or is there something else that i should focus on instead? Rebels, scoundrels, etc.
I numbered the questions and kept them in sequence, hopefully it makes it easier to respond :) Thanks in advance for your help!
Also... my Ally code is 887-921-698 feel free to add me if you want to help with your higher level characters :)

Replies

• Bruh, lando cromium is lucky
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Lando is a good pull. First of all he is 4 star, any phoenix members would be 2 star. You can rely on lando to really carry you in the first few credit heists.
  • catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    JABCGamer wrote: »
    1 - Saw the credit heist event pop up for the first time. Should I stop working on phoenix, focus on scroundrels, then back to phoenix?

You'll want 5 Scoundrels.

The optimal strategy would be unlock Phoenix, change gears to unlock a team of Scoundrels, return to Phoenix and farm them to 7 stars. You won't need your Scoundrels to have a higher star rating until you're preparing/gearing up for the Critical Chance Mod Challenge, farther down the line. For now, just level and gear them that they're strong enough to beat the heists.
    2 - For Arena and GW, im running Hera, Kanan, Chopper, Zeb and Jedi Counselor. I do ok in Arena (i think) and have no issues in GW. Should I keep using Jedi Counselor or switch him out?

Get Ezra and drop your Jedi Consular.

If you're having issues balancing farming Hera and Ezra... What I tend to do is alternate between two characters on each star level (so unlock Hera, unlock Ezra, get Hera to three stars, get Ezra to three stars; so on and so forth).

You may want to keep your Consular handy for fleets down the line.
    3 - How do i know if I am in a good guild? Been in one for almost 3 days, and only saw the Rancor Raid on the first day. I generate 600 tickets per day.

Determining whether you're in a good guild is as simple as figuring out whether your needs are being met. Is your guild doing raids you qualify for? Are they making enough tickets to raid regularly? Are they organized and prepared for guild events as you get closer to mid-level? Is the guild-exchange active, or abandoned? Are your guild members communicative and willing to share tips and their own experiences?

Your highest star rating, at the moment, is four stars so you'll want a guild that does IV Rancor (unless you're okay forgoing rewards if it means you can get in on higher-tier raid rewards the moment you have a character that qualifies). There are guilds that--should you have characters that qualify for their raids, and contribute tickets/other ways you can--are just fine letting you get in on those raid rewards, which will be beneficial to you long-term.

Once you're 65+ you'll want a guild that has enough members to do Territory Wars, and has a decent showing in Territory Battles.
    4 - I struggle with deciding on what abilities I need to focus on leveling first and on who. Any tips, or any guides out there that offer that advice?

Generally, you want to invest in the ability levels of any characters you're going to be using. For most people that boils down to three teams: light side, dark side, and scoundrels. They get harder to invest in after ability level three, and it might suit you to alternate levels, ability levels, and gear on whichever teams you're using.

You'll want to prioritize in this order: Leader (only your leader character; others are irrelevant), uniques, heals/revives, basics, and any other abilities.
    5 - I linked my account above, any other advice on what I should be focusing on?

Get Scoundrels, finish Nix, work on other legendary teams.
    6 - I replaced Teebo once I got Talia. Should I bother with leveling up Teebo or meh?

You'll probably be dropping both of them pretty quick.

Teebo's popular in murderbear teams and as a TMR raid option, but that's a far-down-the-line consideration.
    7 - Since I got Lando, should I also focus on getting Phoenix, or is there something else that i should focus on instead? Rebels, scoundrels, etc.

Lando's a great pull. Use him for your Scoundrels team and until you get a full Phoenix squad. Phoenix really is the go-to team for starting out.
  • Phoenix has a lot of obvious advantages especially for when you're starting out, but don't feel like you HAVE to have them to be successful. The only thing you really can't do without them is get Thrawn.

I recently started a second account (about a month in), don't have any Phoenix, and have no problem keeping top 25 in the arena and top 30 in fleet. In fact, I also have 3 accounts, and the only one that actually does have a full 7* Phoenix crew is the farthest behind. Granted, part of the reason I got Phoenix in the first place was because that account was in complete disarray and I got them to try to right the ship (here's a tip: if you get Lobot and Pao in early chromium/bronzium packs, don't make them your primary focus regardless of how funny you think it might be).

But to answer your questions:

1- If Phoenix is your focus, see it through. Get them finished and then move on to the next thing (like scoundrels). There are going to be lots of events that come up, and you won't be able to participate in all of them right away, but they come back, so don't let them distract you from your main focus, which is Phoenix in your case.

2- The key to Phoenix is their shared unique abilities, and the key to them sharing their uniques is Hera as the lead. Once you have her though, Ezra is Phoenix's main damage dealer so you're not going to get far without him. If you're farming Hera, put that on pause and get Ezra. He's the one you want levelled up the most to have success with Phoenix.

3- Check the guild name. If it doesn't say GreedosBurritos, you're in the wrong guild. :wink:

4- Like most things, your arena team should be priority. In the case of Phoenix, upgrade their unique abilities first.

5- You can go a lot of ways here, but you're going to need a good dark side team, and you already have some empire characters that you'd do well to get upgraded. Tarkin and Tie Pilot are great Empire toons, and you'll want them upgraded for when you get ships anyway. Not only that, but Phoenix will help you get two of the best once their events come around again.

6- Teebo is good in raids, but not a priority right now. Talia loses her usefulness in a hurry too unless you get a full NS team around her, and even then, the best NS teams don't have Talia in them. I would hold off and focus on the team you're going to want to run in the arena. If you're doing Phoenix, stick with them. But Old Ben is a really good character to have at any stage of the game and works well in lots of rebel crews.

7- If you have 2 accounts with Phoenix and you plan to play all 3, I would use this opportunity to go a different direction. Farming 3 separate Phoenix squads on 3 accounts all at the same time is bound to get stale in a hurry. Lando/Boba/STHan can all be farmed at the same time in separate locations and give you 3 solid scoundrels for credit and droid heists, plus they're all good characters to build a competitive arena team around.
  • Thank you all for the replies, super helpful!

I immediately dropped my Jedi Counselor for a 2 star Ezra, and I am doing much better even though the Jedi was a lot more powerful. Also, on my main account I paused farming Kanan and Chopper in order to get Boba and STH, that would give me 3 scoundrels to start with.

Another question for you all, does the difficulty or level of the LS/DS Battle affect drop rates or is there a relationship between the gear level and the LS/DS Battle level? I ask because when im farming for gear, it sometimes feels like lower level battles drop what im looking for more often, then again it may just be a coincidence. I'm assuming that if it doesn't matter, might as well just play the cheapest battle right?

Im pretty impressed with how responsive and helpful this community is, its a pretty rate thing, so thanks again for your help!
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Drop rates are the same at all levels. The only real advantage to going with the higher level is that you get more credits and training droids per energy spent. In the cantina nodes, you also get more store currency per cantina energy at the higher levels. XP is 1-1 in all levels, so it makes no difference from that standpoint.

So if your goal is to maximize gear/salvage, farm from the lowest available. If credits are what you're after, go for the higher.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Another question for you all, does the difficulty or level of the LS/DS Battle affect drop rates or is there a relationship between the gear level and the LS/DS Battle level? I ask because when im farming for gear, it sometimes feels like lower level battles drop what im looking for more often, then again it may just be a coincidence. I'm assuming that if it doesn't matter, might as well just play the cheapest battle right?

Ive a list in my head of gear pieces I look for as a secondary drop.

I always try to look for a semi useful second gear drop item.

Even if I don't need it now I know what gear salvages I will need again so I might as well pick a second useful piece up.

Thats my rule for gear farming. I try to get 2 for 1 even if i am farming the one from a more expensive node.
  • JABCGamer wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies, super helpful!

I immediately dropped my Jedi Counselor for a 2 star Ezra, and I am doing much better even though the Jedi was a lot more powerful. Also, on my main account I paused farming Kanan and Chopper in order to get Boba and STH, that would give me 3 scoundrels to start with.

Im pretty impressed with how responsive and helpful this community is, its a pretty rate thing, so thanks again for your help!

Actually...
    I've been experimenting with this for the past month and it seems that some levels drop gear more often. And doing stuff right after reset almost guarantees horrible droprates. While doing it 3 hours before yields great results. But it is just speculation based on little data I have gathered so dont take it as a fact. Maybe try it for yourself. It holds to the game way of life- dont be impulsive, wait for the right moment.