Best Way ever to counter the power creep!

I fully understand that a character cannot be viable in top of arena forever. This is the sad reality of game like this one. If a character, say CLS was always capable of reaching top of arena then everyone would eventually get him and then they would have no incentive to progress they arena squads further.

These new Siths will put CLS away forever as they basically counter every aspect of his kit.

I think TB and TW serve the role of a trash can in my opinion, instead of becoming depressed over not being able to use our past characters, we at least got TB and TW to dump them in.

However this isn't optimal, we spent too much time and effort to simply let go of these past squads we need to find a way to counter the power creep and allow for a variety in arena.

I think I have a solution that may serve players. Someone mentioned a long time ago in one of my posts that arena should have daily bonuses for specific factions that would rotate.

I took this very interesting idea and I developed a similar one and here is is:

We bring a system in the game that seasonal. Depending on the season we change eras between "the old republic era", "the clone wars era", "the empire/rebelion era" and "the first order vs resistance era".

For example Spring is the old republic era, summer is the empire/rebelion era, fall is the clone war era and winter is the first order/resistance era.

During each era the corresponding factions get a big boost in stats that basically bolsters their stats compared to the other factions making them way more powerful in arena.

Characters that go cross eras will gain bonuses in either season. One example is hermit yoda, old ben, kanan and Ezra. Dispite being empire/rebelion era they will gain the bonuses of clone war era for being jedi, just so that you can use them in a jedi team.

Characters like boba Fett being empire/rebelion era would also gain a hounty hunter boost during clone war era. Palpatine and Vader would gain boost during old republic era to synergise with sith but also during empire/rebelion era as Empire.

This is a system that would require alot if work to come together but it could be worth looking at.

Replies

• Options
    I liked my idea of daily terrain and bonuses/penalties depending on the characters inhabiting it
  • Options
    ZephimyrAC wrote: »
    I liked my idea of daily terrain and bonuses/penalties depending on the characters inhabiting it

Well if it's daily it's hard to plan ahead. Also I doubt it would have much impact outside of the very old shards. Something that lasts for 3 months and you know what comes after is much better for preparation and it will have a huge impact
  • SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    Options
    I just want to see Grievous and Separatist or Full Bounty Hunter squads in arena! I'm gonna build my own eventually
  • Options
    Characters like CLS will never be considered trash can fodder. The meta is ever changing and once the sith/dark side trend has passed they will release some new shiny character on the light side that will swing the light side back in the spotlight. And personally I'd rather have CLS waiting in my roster when that happens.

Plus the arena isn't everything, a large percentage of players focus on TW where just about every level 85 character has its uses.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The main problem with things like this is that it hurts newer players. Not just low level, but just new. It would be hard to define a cutoff where things like this could be added, as everyone develops rosters differently with different goals.

This also pulls development further out of people's hands, there are a lot of complaints about feeling like you have to do X or Y to keep going in this game. This would be another dev imposed condition like that and may not be well recieved.
  • Options
    TL:DR
  • Anrath
    216 posts Member
    Options
    Perhaps a simplier mechanic like fall/winter gives bonuses to the Dark Side toons, and Spring/Summer gives bonuses to the Light Side.

This way the meta may change more frequently, and it would not force peole to do X then Y much since lots of fractions in both LS and DS, and I don't see this hindering low level or new players much. ?
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options

But then no one could ever beat Obi-Wan since he'd always have the high ground.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

But then no one could ever beat Obi-Wan since he'd always have the high ground.

He's earned it
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    The main problem with things like this is that it hurts newer players. Not just low level, but just new. It would be hard to define a cutoff where things like this could be added, as everyone develops rosters differently with different goals.

This also pulls development further out of people's hands, there are a lot of complaints about feeling like you have to do X or Y to keep going in this game. This would be another dev imposed condition like that and may not be well recieved.

You are right however new players will compete with other new players too. So it will even out in a way. It's simply gonna reward those who plan ahead
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    B0untryHR7 wrote: »

You are right however new players will compete with other new players too. So it will even out in a way. It's simply gonna reward those who plan ahead

But new players are already being pulled in many directions trying to keep up with events, now you are trying to add another element to that. I'm just not sure that will be well received.
  • Options

Well if it's daily it's hard to plan ahead. Also I doubt it would have much impact outside of the very old shards. Something that lasts for 3 months and you know what comes after is much better for preparation and it will have a huge impact

For a while I’ve been suggesting random arena bonuses/penalties on certain days. The point is to encourage a deep roster that can adapt to whatever the meta is for that day. As someone who loves to theory craft, I would enjoy being able to brainstorm new team ideas every day based on random bonuses to certain factions/classes/etc. It would make arena much more exciting instead of the stale mode it has become.

Mod management tools would be a must for this though.
  • Options

But new players are already being pulled in many directions trying to keep up with events, now you are trying to add another element to that. I'm just not sure that will be well received.

Because we are being pulled to different directions this system will help them find use for squads that seemed useless before. For example if you aren gonna farm FO for BB8 you will be able to use them during the winter.

The impact that this will have on newer players is really gonna be minimal cause their competition is also new players. It may help whales a bit more at the start i guess
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Because we are being pulled to different directions this system will help them find use for squads that seemed useless before. For example if you aren gonna farm FO for BB8 you will be able to use them during the winter.

The impact that this will have on newer players is really gonna be minimal cause their competition is also new players. It may help whales a bit more at the start i guess

True, but you would be forcing huge ups and down swings for new players. One "season" they are prepared the next they are not and since it keeps changing they will have a hard time keeping up.

Right now there are some relative paths to success in the "growing up" phases with working toward somewhat static goals, Phoenix, thrawn,cls,empire,and RJT. And good factions (not seasonally dependent), that can help hold ground as you develop.

I think the meta challenge is enough of an in game evolution, but it's a different game now then when I was down there and I could be wrong, but I just don't think it would be helpful or a welcome change.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    No.. no.. no.. it's like saying: "farm everything in this game, and we will give u nice reward"

:dizzy:
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    Options
    Basically this would exterminate diversity in arena. We're at a great place right now with lots of team variety. Sure, CLS is losing viability but he's still a raid killer and an all around great toon. In this system, as the factions are not enormous, one or two teams for each era would emerge that everyone would build and shoot for.
  • Options
    New arena mode is my suggestion. Complete with new shop and currency.

Alignment Arena - Squads must be comprised of either all light or all dark side characters. No mix and match.

New shop with characters that are not available in other shops would temporarily fix the staleness of the current shop farming situation (for long time players).

Have the new arena mode unlock at player lvl 85.
  • Options

I like the more simple idea of : "use only (insert faction) this week in all arena battles and get triple arena crystal rewards! Or similar idea

But I agree, they need something other than
    a) keep making toons stronger and stronger
    b)"using" full roster for TB GP dumb

Ps, I disagree that bottom roster is viable for TW. It actually punishes you to have a full roster since your GP will match you with better players with top heavy rosters, and most players only use a handful of teams in TW . Especially since the new banners awarded for successful defenses /multiple attacks. Bottom tier toons now are a liability in TW instead of a fun way to use them
  • Options
    @RevanComingSoon Couldn't agree more. The rush to level 53 to inflate GP for TB turned into a massive liability for some rosters once TW rolled around. I think a more interesting implementation of TW would be to put maximum GP restrictions on some territories. For example, you have your two ship territories, 4 unbounded territories, then 6 more territories that are bounded by some GP maximum (either toon or squad, I could see benefits to both) depending on guild GP. This would also help even out some of the matchmaking problems and stop things like a 40M GP squad getting matched against a 50M GP squad (that's currently two full territories worth of arena caliber squads...)