Language Filters

I understand why they wouldn’t want foul language in the in-game chat, but the implementation is so bad. They blank out all the words the same, which creates worse meanings because you have to guess what was said. And any time a “bad word” can be found inside another word, you get weird censorship.

For instance, if your guild wants to weed out the lazy players, they’ll be ****ing those players out. Nice.

My French-speaking guildmates have found that “serieusement,” contains a prohibited word, and I wonder how, “****,” even made the list.

But the most egregious piece of censorship in the game is the word, “penetration.” If they didn’t like the word, why would they name a skill after it? I’m tired of reading about armor ***********. Rant over.

Replies

• catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Disney/CG thinks people are going to be lewd in public chats open to 50 people; a lot of words related to... that.. are censored.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Best part is they give us bobas ship and name it but we can’t type it in chat.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Yeah I really hate it when ****** and ************* and ********** and **** are censored ;)
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    I would assume it's to protect the children (above age 13) who play this game.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • The funny thing is that when a guild member is typing out something completely innocent and a word gets censored, the first thing I do is go down a mental list of the most vulgar words I can think of to try to figure out what they're saying.

• “Basement” is also censored. I would never have even bothered to disassemble that word if it didn’t become a bunch of asterisks.
  • Lol can't say basement
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Moved to proper feedback channel. I understand the sentiment. Not sure they'll lift any of it, but good to know there's more folks noticing strange words that made the star (***) list.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    I found it odd that I couldn't say in the chat that a certain character stat (I believe it was Anakin's crit chance back when he was good) was modded to a number higher than 68, but lower than 70. I checked recently, and it still stars that out. I'm speechless how ridiculous the filter is. It's just a number. Some kid will have no clue what that means, but will go do an internet search to figure out why it's blocked.

On the other hand the filter has stopped chopping up the word assist. So we can actually discuss all the characters that have those type attacks in the chat. So that's an improvement.

As a little aside, if you're trying to say something perfectly legit, and the silly, useless, overly protective, tyrannical, freedom-hating chat filter chops it up, then just put spaces between the letters. It can still be worked around.
  • RevanComingSoon
    333 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    CaptainRex wrote: »

People under 18 can't see chat anyway, that is what is insane
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    No skill name should ever be censored.

Also if you censor chat surely you should censor player names. Someone in the top 20 of my shard when I started went by the name **** ****.

I know that will censor out but I just want to give the player name.

Is it just me or is that insane.
  • Admiral_Wh1skers
    1352 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Lots of young kids swear, as early as grade 5 it I recall correctly. I’m not too fond of kids now a days because of this
  • Don't forget Slave 1. The ship is in game, come on!