Professional Polling Suggestion

Why don’t you have a weekly or monthly poll take place here on the forums?
Polls can likely consist of:
- Faction/Character Rework Requests
- New Character/Ship Requests
- QoL Requests
- Game Mode Requests (Death Star/Ship Raid, Hero’s Journeys, Villain’s Downfalls, Story Modes, etc.)

Would this not be a good business suggestion? If not, please tell me how it wouldn’t! I believe it would make the community actually actively involved here rather than just complain. You know what we want so earn your money and make it for us, we’ll pay you. It would keep people excited to see who or what is next and it would encourage older burnt out players to stay because they know a character rework or introduction is coming. Or maybe even mod management alone in a QoL update would make them stay.

The reason I bring this up is because last summer we had a rework poll and Separatist, Bounty Hunters and Jedi were among the top yet we got Ewok and Nightsisters reworks shortly thereafter. Why!? You know that the majority of the community wanted Separatists so why did you and do you continue to ignore them? I know if takes time to conceptualize and program a character or game feature, but why not at least work on what we want as a community rather than characters like Holdo, Rose, Sith Marauder or game modes like Territory Battles that, literally, nobody asked for. It just seems like bad business mentality to me.

Replies

• Edward
    651 posts Member
    Why don’t you have a weekly or monthly poll take place here on the forums?
    Polls can likely consist of:
    - Faction/Character Rework Requests
    - New Character/Ship Requests
    - QoL Requests
    - Game Mode Requests (Death Star/Ship Raid, Hero’s Journeys, Villain’s Downfalls, Story Modes, etc.)

Would this not be a good business suggestion? If not, please tell me how it wouldn’t! I believe it would make the community actually actively involved here rather than just complain. You know what we want so earn your money and make it for us, we’ll pay you. It would keep people excited to see who or what is next and it would encourage older burnt out players to stay because they know a character rework or introduction is coming. Or maybe even mod management alone in a QoL update would make them stay.

The reason I bring this up is because last summer we had a rework poll and Separatist, Bounty Hunters and Jedi were among the top yet we got Ewok and Nightsisters reworks shortly thereafter. Why!? You know that the majority of the community wanted Separatists so why did you and do you continue to ignore them? I know if takes time to conceptualize and program a character or game feature, but why not at least work on what we want as a community rather than characters like Holdo, Rose, Sith Marauder or game modes like Territory Battles that, literally, nobody asked for. It just seems like bad business mentality to me.

Your are a little naive. If they do that and we say we want this and that, they don’t have plausible deniability to ignore our suggestions anymore.

However, when us players post this and that, they can select from the suggestions they actually want.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    You are a little naive. If they do that and we say we want this and that. They don’t have plausible deniability to ignore our suggestions anymore.

However, when we post this and that, they can select from our suggestions that they actually want.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    2 main issues.

- 1 - Polls are limited, which means that not everyone's choice will be there. and if you leave them open there is no consensus, because everyone has a different opinion
    - 2 - the development cycle and just the inability to carry out some actions for various reasons, this would leave the community complaining they aren't listened to and that things dont happen, even if they are being worked on. then by the time the project is done, people dont care and are onto the next thing.

The dev team can't just drop what they are currently working on to make community requests happen, I'm sure they have a schedule and timeline that changes all the time due to new things coming up and delays while developing. I dont see this working out in the long run. IMHO
  • Edward wrote: »
    You are a little naive. If they do that and we say we want this and that. They don’t have plausible deniability to ignore our suggestions anymore.

However, when we post this and that, they can select from our suggestions that they actually want.

That’s exactly my point. Why should it be “what they actually want”? They should be asking us what we want. We tell them. They make it. We buy it. That still creates longevity, community happiness, and involvement.
    And they absolutely would have plausible deniability to ignore our suggestions (if they think that’s smart) because they set up the polls. They would keep characters like Revan and Jango out of the polls to save them for special releases due to their immense popularity. But I’m talking like polls that only include 1-5 things maximum, not all characters or all faction passes/reworks.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Edward wrote: »

That’s exactly my point. Why should it be “what they actually want”? They should be asking us what we want. We tell them. They make it. We buy it. That still creates longevity, community happiness, and involvement.
    And they absolutely would have plausible deniability to ignore our suggestions (if they think that’s smart) because they set up the polls. They would keep characters like Revan and Jango out of the polls to save them for special releases due to their immense popularity. But I’m talking like polls that only include 1-5 things maximum, not all characters or all faction passes/reworks.

yea, but...
    "the community" wants everything now and for free.
    Pacing content is one of the things that keeps us playing over an extended period of time, but polls will never reflect that.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno wrote: »
    2 main issues.

- 1 - Polls are limited, which means that not everyone's choice will be there. and if you leave them open there is no consensus, because everyone has a different opinion
    - 2 - the development cycle and just the inability to carry out some actions for various reasons, this would leave the community complaining they aren't listened to and that things dont happen, even if they are being worked on. then by the time the project is done, people dont care and are onto the next thing.

The dev team can't just drop what they are currently working on to make community requests happen, I'm sure they have a schedule and timeline that changes all the time due to new things coming up and delays while developing. I dont see this working out in the long run. IMHO

Solutions:
    - 1 - limit polls to a few characters per poll, shuffling around characters in different monthly polls who weren’t implemented into the game yet. Listen to player feedback on forums to get desired consensus. Eventually, everyone’s choice will be there. Why wouldn’t they be, by the end of it all (in years to come)?
    - 2 - pleanty if people are already complaining that they aren’t listened to, but this would at least assure that the majority are listened to, which would also generate a good income because people would invest in those new characters and reworks. Also, I understand that not everyone is on the forums, but shouldn’t the ones who are deserved to be listened to if those who don’t come on here never give the devs any feedback? Who’s to say they would even mind at all what the forum “votes” in if they don’t even know it’s happening? They would still be ignorant, yet happy.
  • leef wrote: »
    Edward wrote: »

yea, but...
    "the community" wants everything now and for free.
    Pacing content is one of the things that keeps us playing over an extended period of time, but polls will never reflect that.

I never ever even implied that I or the community wants it now or for free (although, who wouldn’t want it for free - to some degree). I understand the devs need to make money. Do I really have to spell it out to you guys?

Okay, EA/CG set up a poll that starts on April 1st 2018. In this scenario, let’s say the poll is a
    “New Character Request”
    1) Padme Amidala
    2) Ki-Adi-Mundi
    3) CT “Jet”
    4) Droideka
    5) (a 4th Tusken - implying there will be a 5th)

The devs would release an in-game and forum announcement encouraging all to cast their vote on the forums page. The community then votes and the poll closes on, say, April 10th. When we get the May calendar, we notice there is an event called “Droid Attack on the Wookies” where we unlock Droideka at ONLY 3* because he was the highest voted character.

This same concept would apply for QoL update Requests, Reworks, etc. This creates longevity because now the next poll on May 1st would be a new Game Mode ideas. Maybe they preface that poll that it won’t be released until August, but then come June 1st they do a rework poll and we vote and they come up with that faction’s rework for July. By the time August came around, we would go back to the “New Character Request” and still have Padme, Mundi, Jet, a 4th Tusken, and a New Character to choose from. Or maybe even choose 5 new characters altogether! And by now Droideka is farmable. This creates years of longevity and the community can know what they are getting and know it’s what they want. This wouldn’t interfere with whatever the devs have in plan as they continue to add whatever they like. They can always preface that the polls may never come to fruition if they find their intention was too difficult to achieve. But I just think it would be smart on their behalf.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    So basically only poll topics that don't really matter?
    You must realize that the outrage on the forum is rarely about wich character gets released or what QoL upgrade has been pushed. So being heard on trivial matters won't help at all if the players still feel shafted when they get challenge gear in reads or something similar.
    You must realize that the outrage on the forum is rarely about wich character gets released or what QoL upgrade has been pushed. So being heard on trivial matters won't help at all if the players still feel shafted when they get challenge gear in reads or something similar.

Tell me, what would you like to see added to the game?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

mod management. Luckely for you that's a QoL update.
    leef wrote: »

mod management. Luckely for you that's a QoL update.

Yup. But unfortunately for us it’s a QoL update. Too bad we only get those once per year.
  • When I played star wars force collection they occasionally had in-game polls mostly for new characters. The fan favorite was then inserted into the game a month or two later. We had a few choices in the poll, it wasn't an open discussion. Eventually the other characters were inserted in the game, but people got to choose which one came first. They could do something similar.
  • They could but they wont.