US players PSA

Replies

• RubAto
    70 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I personally appreciate DST. Never really understand why people get so angry about it.
    They don't understand why it exists.

The purpose of Daylight Saving time is to shift the active portion of your day to when the sun is out. People are more likely to walk, less likely to use artificial lighting, and less likely to commit crimes when the sun is out. It's a very minor amount of electricity and gas saved per person, but spread out over millions of people it's substantial.

That used to be the case for DST. However, world is nowadays very different place and multiple researchers have concluded, that there’s no savings in modern world, but lot of expenses because of changing the time twice a year. Also, if you happen to live in very northern or very southern parts of the world, DST really messes with your health.

EU is in the talks to get rid of DST because of aforementioned reasons (and some others), they try to get it done ASAP but not gonna happen this year.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    RubAto wrote: »
    I personally appreciate DST. Never really understand why people get so angry about it.

The purpose of Daylight Saving time is to shift the active portion of your day to when the sun is out. People are more likely to walk, less likely to use artificial lighting, and less likely to commit crimes when the sun is out. It's a very minor amount of electricity and gas saved per person, but spread out over millions of people it's substantial.

That used to be the case for DST. However, world is nowadays very different place and multiple researchers have concluded, that there’s no savings in modern world, but lot of expenses. Also, if you happen to live in very northern or very southern parts of the world, DST really messes with your health.

EU is in the talks to get rid of DST because of aforementioned reasons (and some others), they try to get it done ASAP but not gonna happen this year.

I'm sure there are conflicting researches available on both claims.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • RubAto
    70 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

That used to be the case for DST. However, world is nowadays very different place and multiple researchers have concluded, that there’s no savings in modern world, but lot of expenses. Also, if you happen to live in very northern or very southern parts of the world, DST really messes with your health.

I'm sure there are conflicting researches available on both claims.

I’m sure there is when talking about savings in gas etc. It doesn’t change the fact that world is very different today than it was when DST was introduced.

However, concerning health issues in areas, where there can be no sun at all for few months, and then having sun up 24h/day, it is very well studied fact that moving clocks either way is harmful and can cause especially heart problems and insomnia.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    In vacuum :)

Edit: 1/10,000,000, not billionth.
    Lol, oops, got carried away with the 0s :P The real sad part is that when I was typing it I was, like, "It's one-one-millionth, that looks like the right number of zeroes for a million. Sure why not." So I was wrong in both directions!
    love the reasoning behind standard being better for anything. Same reasoning applies to why americans used the word "sidewalk" instead of "pavement". ;)

Well, yeah! Roads are paved, too, so pavement doesn't describe the sidewalk any better than the part on the side where you walk!
    Fürkész wrote: »
    Celsius is more logical and much more comfort to people.

Really? How so?

Ultimately temperature's the one that matters the least since they're both already decimalized. The only real difference is is what 100 degrees means. Celcius defines it as the boiling point of water, while Fahrenheit defines it as the temperature of the human body (which is actually 98.6 degrees, because we can measure more accurately these days). Fahrenheit gives you a better useful range when expressing the weather--you can talk about 10F and 90F and feel uncomfortable, but alive, in both. You'll feel significantly worse in 90C.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    Got to love how my post about the exact same thing but in Europe got buried within 5 minutes @Kyno yet this has been in "general discussion" for over 5 hours and not been touched.
    So if its Europe DST its not for general chat but if its for USA then it is?
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/141430/yes-your-payout-time-changed#latest
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »
    Krokovich wrote: »
    Its gonna be easier to convince whole world to get rid of daylight savings

Just like convincing the whole world to give up the imperial measurement system. Oh wait I guess the US will not be leading the charge lol.

No malice intended just poking fun guys
    Fahrenheit is better for measuring temperature and its relative comfort for people.

Fahrenheit gives you a better useful range when expressing the weather--you can talk about 10F and 90F and feel uncomfortable, but alive, in both. You'll feel significantly worse in 90C.

whut !?
  • Options
    Goodgil wrote: »
    Daylight saving never changers your arena payout. Nor does changing your timezone. To many possibilities for exploits. This has always been the case.
    Besides, the US may be moving the clock, but it's not a coordinated global thing. Why should I, as an Israeli player, have to change my PO because the US changed their clock? Why should a German or Japanese player do that? There are other countries and other players out there.

Just some perspective on the subject,

1.Germany was the first country to enact daylight saving time.

2.Englishman William Willett led the first campaign to implement daylight saving time.

3.Daylight Saving Time is now used in over 70 countries worldwide and affects over 1 billion people every year

4.I hate it with a passion !! , really screws with my sleep patterns as I suffer from insomnia.

5. Yes I plagiarized a lot of these facts..... https://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-daylight-saving-time

• Options
    LynnYoda wrote: »
    Got to love how my post about the exact same thing but in Europe got buried within 5 minutes @Kyno yet this has been in "general discussion" for over 5 hours and not been touched.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/141430/yes-your-payout-time-changed#latest

'Merica!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Got to love how my post about the exact same thing but in Europe got buried within 5 minutes Kyno yet this has been in "general discussion" for over 5 hours and not been touched.

You do realize I'm not the only mod, and didn't move that post.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    That used to be the case for DST. However, world is nowadays very different place and multiple researchers have concluded, that there’s no savings in modern world, but lot of expenses because of changing the time twice a year. Also, if you happen to live in very northern or very southern parts of the world, DST really messes with your health.

You're right about the extreme northern and southern parts. There's no one-size-fits-all solution, and every area is different.

Ultimately time (little-t time, as in clocks and hours; not big-T time) is a human construct, we can do whatever we want with it. If what we're doing doesn't make sense, then do something else--but if there's a practical benefit for one group to move their clocks forward an hour so they wake up when it's sunny, and another group's going to have 23 hours of sunlight because they're so far north or south, then, yeah, do different things.

This game doesn't care if the sun even exists, let aone if it's out or not. So it doesn't need to change its internal clock to match ours. I like Daylight Saving, but I don't mind at all that the arena payouts and such don't change with it.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Got to love how my post about the exact same thing but in Europe got buried within 5 minutes Kyno yet this has been in "general discussion" for over 5 hours and not been touched.

OMG I am not prepared for that.... (I mean the forum, nor the time change )

Moved to correct sub forum.

i do beg to differ and i have a full "message" convo of why you moved that post to arena sub forum @Kyno
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

OMG I am not prepared for that.... (I mean the forum, nor the time change )

Moved to correct sub forum.

i do beg to differ and i have a full "message" convo of why you moved that post to arena sub forum Kyno

Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to a recent thread.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

I plugged this into Google Translate and it spat back: “People are having fun, how can I both stop that and make this about me?”
  • Options
    [/quote]Really? How so?

Ultimately temperature's the one that matters the least since they're both already decimalized. The only real difference is is what 100 degrees means. Celcius defines it as the boiling point of water, while Fahrenheit defines it as the temperature of the human body (which is actually 98.6 degrees, because we can measure more accurately these days). Fahrenheit gives you a better useful range when expressing the weather--you can talk about 10F and 90F and feel uncomfortable, but alive, in both. You'll feel significantly worse in 90C.[/quote]

@NicWester

That's only because it's what you are you are used to. Since at -40 degrees they are the same thing I can talk about -12C and 32C and make the same point. As for human body temperature that's going to land at 37C.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Just like convincing the whole world to give up the imperial measurement system. Oh wait I guess the US will not be leading the charge lol.

Fahrenheit is better for measuring temperature and its relative comfort for people.

Fahrenheit gives you a better useful range when expressing the weather--you can talk about 10F and 90F and feel uncomfortable, but alive, in both. You'll feel significantly worse in 90C.

whut !?

Yeah, I didn’t really explain that very well, sorry.

Basically, both systems are the same when it comes to measuring, right? It’s not like feet, which are in base 12, and meters, in base 10. Right? Both Celsius and Fahrenheit are in base 10. They increase at different rates, but the relation between the two systems is constant—there’s a simple formula that will always accurately convert one to the other. So, point being, they’re both good systems, it just depends what one you’re used to.

Fahrenheit is better for measuring weather, though, because it has a wider range of temperatures that humans are used to. It’s more detailed, right? If both Celsius and Fahrenheit were meter sticks, for example, the Celsius stick would have decimeters marked off on it, but Fahrenheit’s stick would have centimeters.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Really? How so?

That's only because it's what you are you are used to. Since at -40 degrees they are the same thing I can talk about -12C and 32C and make the same point. As for human body temperature that's going to land at 37C.

That’s sort of the point I’m making, though. The Celsius meter stick (see above) would run from roughly -10 to +37, while the Fahrenheit meter stick would run from 0 to 100.

Long story short—metric is better for precision measurements that science needs. Standard is better for practical eyeballing.
    Post edited by NicWester on
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    @NicWester I gotta say, you are on fire in this thread. You're doing God's work. Keep it up!

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I gotta say, you are on fire in this thread. You're doing God's work. Keep it up!

Thanks! I understand why non-Americans are skeptical of how Americans talk about Imperial measurements--they're straight up called Imperial still, after all, and normally the people defending them tend to come at it from a jingoistic point of view, like our way is better somehow just because it's OURs.

There's a reason Imperial measurements are dying out, and when it eventually dies for good that's fine, but I just think it's important for folks to realize that there's a practical upshot. A lot easier to measure out an impromptu soccer pitch, for one!
  • Options
    @NicWester

Right but in temperature it's actually the other way around Fahrenheit is actually more precise and Celsius is more practical.

The more points of reference on a scale dictates prescision. So using a few values, we know that -40 is the same in both formats and 40C is the same as 104F. So on that scale celsius has 80 points of reference while Fahrenheit has 144. That makes farenheit a lot more precise especially going down to the decimal point.

To look at it In a more practical way if your standing outside there isn't much of a difference between 50F and 55F. There is a much more noticeable difference between 10C(50F) and 15C(59F) because you don't feel external temperature changes as much
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    This topic has gone, well... "Off Topic". Please by all means carry on.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Right but in temperature it's actually the other way around Fahrenheit is actually more precise and Celsius is more practical.

The more points of reference on a scale dictates prescision. So using a few values, we know that -40 is the same in both formats and 40C is the same as 104F. So on that scale celsius has 80 points of reference while Fahrenheit has 144. That makes farenheit a lot more precise especially going down to the decimal point.

To look at it In a more practical way if your standing outside there isn't much of a difference between 50F and 55F. There is a much more noticeable difference between 10C(50F) and 15C(59F) because you don't feel external temperature changes as much
    I see what you're saying. I think, to me, it just grocks as more practical to have 100 be body temperature (Well... 98.6, but that's because we can measure better now than when the scale was set! :smiley: ) than to have it be the boiling point of water. But, then, if I were born in Canada or Singapore or Chile I'm sure I'd think water is more intuitive, and that 30C is really hot, and if we're talking 40C then we know we're talking really, really hot.

But we're all agreed, Kelvin can go straight to hell, right?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

whut !?

Basically, both systems are the same when it comes to measuring, right? It’s not like feet, which are in base 12, and meters, in base 10. Right? Both Celsius and Fahrenheit are in base 10. They increase at different rates, but the relation between the two systems is constant—there’s a simple formula that will always accurately convert one to the other. So, point being, they’re both good systems, it just depends what one you’re used to.

Fahrenheit is better for measuring weather, though, because it has a wider range of temperatures that humans are used to. It’s more detailed, right? If both Celsius and Fahrenheit were meter sticks, for example, the Celsius stick would have decimeters marked off on it, but Fahrenheit’s stick would have centimeters.

Too eleborate of an explanation, i should have specified my "whut?".
    What i meant was that i don't understand how it's easier to have 10 to 90F instead of -12 to 32C. Below 0 is freezing, wich makes it not being a positive number usefull instead of anoying. Come to think of it, C fits 'americans" much better than F. ;)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    A lot easier to measure out an impromptu soccer pitch, for one!

obviously you went with "soccer pitch", haha.
    A yard is however basically the same as a meter.
  • Options
    Yes Kelvin can go back to whatever hole it came out of lol
  • Options
    Rmaxtpmx wrote: »

'Merica!

God_Bless_America%21.gif

• Options
    like our way is better somehow just because it's OURs.

Implying it's not.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Pk2Q8qJ.jpg

This one is technically too early.

giphy.gif

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

whut !?

What i meant was that i don't understand how it's easier to have 10 to 90F instead of -12 to 32C. Below 0 is freezing, wich makes it not being a positive number usefull instead of anoying. Come to think of it, C fits 'americans" much better than F. ;)

10-90F is an 80 point range. -12 to 32 is only a 44 point range (almost half as many). The larger number of "points" in a given range make for a more detailed picture of the situation.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

whut !?

10-90F is an 80 point range. -12 to 32 is only a 44 point range (almost half as many). The larger number of "points" in a given range make for a more detailed picture of the situation.

certainly, but i don't feel the difference between 5C and 6C when i'm taking a stroll down the beach, it's both rather cold ;)
    Measuring body temperature on the other hand, or other activities that require more precision, F would definately be preferable (unless you're used to C obviously and vice versa).
  • Options

whut !?

certainly, but i don't feel the difference between 5C and 6C when i'm taking a stroll down the beach, it's both rather cold ;)
    Measuring body temperature on the other hand, or other activities that require more precision, F would definately be preferable (unless you're used to C obviously and vice versa).

Cold??? That's shorts weather.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

whut !?

Cold??? That's shorts weather.

you crazy man, where do you live? the North pole ?!? ;)