[Dev Post] Matchmaking clarification post: 3/15

Replies

• jstehly
    108 posts Member
    Yeah, this is still really, really broken. We were able to clear one territory and our opponents cleared six. We lost 12,249 to 7049.

I think the TW idea is great, it just isn't implemented in a way that is any fun. When you have to go through 30-40 CLS teams you have nothing left for later territories.

I also think GP is a poor indication of squad strength. An 85,000 Jedi team is really easy to roll, whereas a 70,000 Phoenix or NS team can be really, really tough.
  • SaintJames wrote: »
    Huge issue I keep seeing but have seen no response, Why do the rewards change in regards to GP? Why are the rewards not the exact same for all winners and all losers? All this is doing is making the stronger guilds even stronger, and taking the lower guilds that much longer to catch up, if that would even be possible. It makes no sense to have tier based rewards, it should be the same across the board. If you are the winning guild, you get this, if you lose you get this. Make it fair across the board! If matchmaking is on similar guilds, rewards should be the same for every guild that wins. It's very discouraging to see the higher guilds raking in rewards, when my guild is putting in the same amount of time and effort for the Win. Can you please address this, and hopefully change it? You will have alot more satisfied customers who grind daily to be as good as they can get. Thank you for you input!!
    SaintJames

I still didn't get an answer to this
  • I got all excited that the algorithm had improved, but then realised the date.
    Last TW we did ok on the first match up, but in the second one our guild didn't clear a single zone but the opponent cleared ALL of our zones.
    We gave up because there was no hope, as they were almost all g12, whereas we have few g12 between us.
  • I personally thought this was the best mode of the game. Now its just a constant frustration of being put with guilds that totally walk over us.

We constantly get put against guilds that have a LOT bigger rosters than we do but have less players so they have similar active GP. This means nothing when you they have 3 defence territories with maxed meta CLS / SITH / PALP teams (that we can see) yet still have enough power to walk through our defence territories when we can only just struggle past one.

I have directed the guild to put in their defence to register a score and that's it from here as the time investment is not worth it
  • I hope you guys change the way you get equipment for Your Heroes. It gets very frustrating spending hundreds of dollars on this game and don't get what you need. Because I have hundreds of equipment stuff that I don't need, I wish there was a way to sell the equipment that I don't need.
  • Markyj
    13 posts Member
    Broken, broken, broken. We are 20m lower and they are at 100 million gp, we have zero chance of getting through even to their second row. The algorithm is not working. It is hard enough trying to get the guild to sign up but why should we when we don't have a chance to compete.
    You need to go by gp alone, there is no other fair way then some secret algorithm that is beyond broken
  • Our guild doesn't fight this time. We set some defense teams, that's all. It is an easy way to get the reward for the 2nd place.
  • Best thing is:the winner gets the reward for a 100mil guild, the 2nd the reward for a 80mil guild.
    it should be: the winner gets the first price for a 80mil guild,
    the loser the price for 2nd place of a 100 mil guild.
  • Best thing is:the winner gets the reward for a 100mil guild, the 2nd the reward for a 80mil guild.
    it should be: the winner gets the first price for a 80mil guild,
    the loser the price for 2nd place of a 100 mil guild.

Finally a constructive suggestion in this thread. The only issue is having a 150 mill + guild of 20 krakens getting matched into a 130 mill guild and getting lower rewards for the stomp. Krakens get outraged, threaten to stop buying, you know the drill.
    Having both guilds get the winner/loser rewards for the max GP one would be fair.
  • Markyj wrote: »
    Broken, broken, broken. We are 20m lower and they are at 100 million gp, we have zero chance of getting through even to their second row. The algorithm is not working. It is hard enough trying to get the guild to sign up but why should we when we don't have a chance to compete.
    You need to go by gp alone, there is no other fair way then some secret algorithm that is beyond broken

Same boat here. We are 25mil lower than our match up. Can't see how they fixed anything.
  • UTmfUT
    47 posts Member
    Ours is also not working as intended. Our last two TW immediately after the fix were very similar. This matchup is very unbalanced. Were at 96 mil vs probably around 110 mil. More than that, our collections are very, very different.

As stated in your blog post, matchmaking would be based on:
    • The squad power of participating individuals in each guild should be near the same average power.
    • The strongest possible squads of both participating guilds should be near the same average power.

However, based on what we can find our opponents have an average GP of 2.5 mil and we have almost exactly 2 mil avg per member. Their top 8 players have more gp than our number one. They have 6 more players with more zetas than our highest guild member. Further, we have lost one our highest g12 holder this TW due to vacation.

The hard numbers we can find:

My guild (48 registrants, numbers reflect all participating guild members)
    7* 6* G12 G11 G10 G9
    3460 402 306 571 434 467

Opponent (43-45 registrants, numbers represent only 37 guild members, missing 5-8 participants)
    7* 6* G12 G11 G10 G9
    5959 717 482 963 771 806

We have at least 2,499 less 7*, 315 less 6*, 176 less g12, 392 less g11, 337 less g10, 339 less g9. Again, this doesn't count the number of guild members for the opponent that do not have information we can find.

As a guild that genuinely enjoys TW, we find this type of matchup frustrating and less enthused as normal. Further, if you're going to continue to match up guilds with lower GP against those in higher brackets, the smallest thing you can do is give the lower GP the potential for the rewards in the higher bracket.
  • UTmfUT
    47 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    -deleted-
  • UTmfUT
    47 posts Member
    Ours is also not working as intended. Our last two TW immediately after the fix were very similar. This matchup is very unbalanced. Were at 96 mil vs probably around 110 mil. More than that, our collections are very, very different.

As stated in your blog post, matchmaking would be based on:

The squad power of participating individuals in each guild should be near the same average power.
    The strongest possible squads of both participating guilds should be near the same average power.

However, based on what we can find our opponents have an average GP of 2.5 mil and we have almost exactly 2 mil avg per member. Their top 8 players have more gp than our number one. They have 6 more players with more zetas than our highest guild member. Further, we have lost one our highest g12 holder this TW due to vacation.

The hard numbers we can find:

My guild (48 registrants, numbers reflect all participating guild members)
    7* 6* G12 G11 G10 G9
    3460 402 306 571 434 467

Opponent (43-45 registrants, numbers represent only 37 guild members, missing 5-8 participants)
    7* 6* G12 G11 G10 G9
    5959 717 482 963 771 806

We have at least 2,499 less 7*, 315 less 6*, 176 less g12, 392 less g11, 337 less g10, 339 less g9. Again, this doesn't count the number of guild members for the opponent that do not have information we can find.
    As a guild that genuinely enjoys TW, we find this type of matchup frustrating and less enthused as normal.

Further, if you're going to continue to match up guilds with lower GP against those in higher brackets, the smallest thing you can do is give the lower GP the potential for the rewards in the higher bracket.

I'll also add, my guild loves TW. For the members of our group that are active in our communication platform, it is absolutely our favorite part of the game. We love seeing how everyone's teams do on defense, we love talking the strategy of taking on a team on defense. It's a lot of fun for this. So to see the regression back to heavily slanted matchups is disappointing.
  • jeiaden
    34 posts Member
    https://swgoh.gg/g/36901/outcast-wtc/ versus https://swgoh.gg/g/2439/xanatos/ ty for great matchmaking system, minus 20m GP. We hear you!!!!
  • UTmfUT
    47 posts Member
    As an update, we experienced the highest ever average gp in row 1. We cleared one section.

They set 223 g12 in these first three sections, we have 306 g12 in our entire guild. Their top 2 players have 69 g12 toons and both registered and actively played this tw.

Again, we usually love playing TW. We've played guilds with 10 mil higher active gp and won, but that was at the 80/90m level. We've had matches that have come down to the final 10 minutes. We have only been the higher active gp twice. But simply matching 98 active gp against a guild in 110s is not fun and makes me less enthused to play the game, generally.

It seems the 90 to 100m area is really where bad matchups seem to occur regularly. I hope you will work to ensure your algorithm matches guilds so they a chance at winning a tw.
  • Again the same story: first TW okay, similar guilds. Second TW, horrible matchmaking...

They said that one important element in their matchmaking was the presence of certain important characters... if some of those characters are GK or JTR or Wampa, then it is not working. Very different numbers
  • jedilord
    337 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    matchmaking isn´t still working:

our guild, best 20 players : 1736 toons on 7*; 205 toons with g12; 289 toons g11; 245 toons g10; 215 toons g9

opponent best 20 player: 2014 toons on 7*; 242 toons with g12; 423 toons g11; 274 toons g10; 277 toons g9;

on average they are 20% stronger than us

our best 20 player have 252 zeta toons, their have 325 zeta toons!!!

and the hero toons:
    jedirey: 14 (they) vs. 3 (us)
    cls: 37 (they) vs. 29 (us)

the matchmaking is still completely unfair
    Post edited by jedilord on
  • Alinoe
    68 posts Member
    Again the same story: first TW okay, similar guilds. Second TW, horrible matchmaking...

They said that one important element in their matchmaking was the presence of certain important characters... if some of those characters are GK or JTR or Wampa, then it is not working. Very different numbers

yeah , I logged into TW and tbh don't know if I'll even try fight this time. One uber guy in our 30 mil guild got CLS and our opponent 50 mil GP got 4 in every area LOL... that's really frustrating crap.
  • CalicloneDTD
    2 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Third super lopsided matchup in a row. Last time, our 85M guild was matched with 120M! Couldn't clear one zone and they nearly wiped us completely. One can't possibly expect that their TW squads are going to be similar to ours. They had over twice the JTRs as us and theirs were all g12. Only half of ours are. All their CLS were g12 and only half of ours are.

This time, we're matched againt a 106M guild who has 9 g12 EzPz. We don't have even one. Their average GP/team appears to be 10k more than ours.

This new algorithm is so incredibly, utterly, painfully broken. Come on, devs, please listen to us.
  • Puddles_Kisser
    54 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    Did i understand the logic of the matchmaking wrongly?:
    Does the matchmaking assign a value based on only the strongest characters a participant has? I this case, if a whale has a full roster of 145 gear 12 characters, will the strength of this player be based on only a (e.g.10%) subset of the strongest characters and ignoring the rest?

Unfortunately, I won't answer that question

Q: How do you identify the strongest squads?
    A: We're not going to divulge that algorithm.

Again, unfortunately, I can't give you a number that would not divulge the algorithm. :(
    CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    Thank you all for the great FAQ questions. I answered what I could, but we are going to have some parts that are 'mystery'. I hope it still helps!
  • Puddles_Kisser
    54 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    The "algorithm" is either defective or broken. The last 3 TW my guild has participated in we were absolutely destroyed by Top 100 Raid Teams (and we are not even in the top 1000) with GPs anywhere from 10-30mil GP higher. So I am curious to know how the devs feel their magic algorithm of secrecy for TWs is working correctly if one team has no chance to win?

As a player...it something that really makes the game look bad and defeats the purpose of a TW if all its meant to do is pad Top 100 Guilds to stay in the Top 100 and give lower ranking guilds no chance to earn gear or even TW wins? Devs may not care about guilds losing unfair wars but I assure you...the people paying your checks by playing the game do! We just want a fair fight! Keep your secrets...just make the TW fair to everyone!

• UTmfUT
    47 posts Member
    For another update this TW. We were set up against a guild with over 10m more active GP. There were a 114m gp overall guild (we were 100.5 around lock). We had all 50 guild members sign up.

This guild had very limited information online and we could only see the profiles for 16 of the 49 opposing guild members. We set 24 of defense, so we're assuming they were down 2 as their guild average gp per person was right around 2.3 mil. They had a resident whale with 3.67 gp and 75 g12s (our guild's highest GP is 2.9m gp and our highest g12 holder has 23). We could see the rest of their guild had much lower numbers so we were optimistic heading in.

That optimism was rewarded because we beat them (that's how we know they had 110+ active gp). It was close most of the first night and we pulled away when our second shift came in.

I think the issue of TW rewards needs to be addressed. If your algorithm allows match ups in separate brackets, both guilds should be eligible for the higher rewards. This rewards guilds that are committed to working together if they pull the "gp upset" and helps take the sting out of situations when you're extremely outmatched.
  • rv492
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    My guild has got 45 members (all active in the last three Territorial Wars) and 46 GP. Last TW, we fought with a guild with 77 GP. They beated us without effort. We didn't play that TW and we won't play TW if the difference is more than 30 GP. TW are a **** for now. We fought with 60 GP and we won them, is not a strategy problem. But if you are fighting with guilds with 30 RJT, and people who has 20 characters on tier XII... It's impossible to enjoy the game.

And the last thing, we need 17-18 defensive squads... if we complete all areas, we can't attack later because we haven't enough squads.
  • I'm going to have to jump on the band wagon as well and say that something doesn't feel right. Currently our GP for those who signed up is just a tad bit over 70M. We are matched against a guild that is 97M GP. In the first territory I've already seen three G12 GK's who are 7 stars. How many 7 star GK's do we have at this point? One. And I haven't even looked any further because my eyes are bleeding from all the yellow G12 I see in this one territory.

I am all for a tough fight but it just seems like the last few TW's, the fair fights have been few and far between. I would provide further information but

1. Against TOS to provide details (since even though I'm trying to say we are out-matched I can't show who we are up against)
    2. I don't see what good reporting this is going to do. Maybe I'll feel better after finishing this post. Or maybe not...
    SWGOH Guild: Peace Is A Lie SWGOH Profile: Boofpoof Discord: Buffpuff#3065
  • Dose
    3 posts Member
    How is it possible that our 52M guild was matched with a 126M One???

Their worst player has a biggest GP than our second best player...

Clearly your alghoritm isn't working as it supposed to work. Can you please give us some feedback on how this could happened?

Our guild is being cheated and of course we're aren't happy about this situation.
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Dose wrote: »

Clearly your alghoritm isn't working as it supposed to work. Can you please give us some feedback on how this could happened?

Our guild is being cheated and of course we're aren't happy about this situation.

Do you actually think they care about this?About all of our problems and complaints?They are probably laughing their souls out right now reading all of our complaints. :-j
  • rv492
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Dose wrote: »

We could fight against your guild. 52 vs 48 but not, Capital Games makes strange things and this algorithm is the worst thing I know.

Another TW lost. Now, my guild has got 45 members and 48 M GP. We have fought with a guild with 73 GP. They beated us without effort. We fought that TW but we won't play TW if the difference is more than 30 GP again. TW are a joke for now. It's impossible to enjoy the game.

Is not the first time, once, when we had 30 M GP few months ago, we had to fight with one guild with 100 M PG. There is a problem and people will leave playing the game.
  • CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    Hello Territory Warriors,

But it's still broken!

We understand recent Territory Wars had guilds matched up at a wider ranges than design intended. As an appreciation and recognition for all the great player feedback and patience as we continue to improve the game:

We will be distributing 500 Crystals to all players on 3/16 in their inbox
    Details to be posted in the Game Update section of the forums.

DETAILS

We have made some improvements to the matchmaking system in this week’s server update. Starting with this weekend’s Territory War, you should be seeing results closer to the original design intent.

In order to help you understand that intent, here are some additional details about the system.

Matchmaking seeks to create the most fair matchups, with two primary goals in mind:
    • The squad power of participating individuals in each guild should be near the same average power.
    • The strongest possible squads of both participating guilds should be near the same average power.

To achieve this, matchmaking uses multiple parameters.

As a primary consideration, matchmaking identifies the strongest characters/ships expected to be used by each participant in the Territory War and assigns a value to each roster. Then it looks for the single strongest squads and compares them to each other. Matchmaking then aggregates these criteria for the guild and finds the opponent that is most similar.

Comparing Guild Galactic Power (GP), Active GP, or # of participants can be misleading.

Rewards are determined solely by Active GP of the participants. Active GP refers to the total Guild Galactic Power of the guild at the time that each person has joined the Territory War. Galactic Power is locked at that point to ensure that matchmaking is calculated off a fixed number and can’t be drastically changed over the course of the Territory War.

Finally, to promote a variety of opponents, we seek to avoid matching with recently fought opponents, however this can still happen if opponents meeting the above criteria are sparse.

Thank you all for your great feedback as we continue to improve the Territory Wars feature. As with all areas of the game, we will continue to monitor the feature to ensure it is meeting target design goals.

CG_RyDiggs

• But it's still broken...
This discussion has been closed.