Where/If To Change Up Arena Team

TVF
36519 posts Member
https://swgoh.gg/u/tvf/
(April 2017 shard)

My arena rank, which climbed into the 95-130 range after getting CLS in December, has recently started to slide more to the 200 range. I fall to 300-350 some days and have to fight to get back under 200 at payout.

It's not entirely unexpected given that I've not improved my arena team in a while, and also given that Wiggs has been on the way out for a while now.

The obvious solution would seem to be that I need to change my team up...however I'm not sure that would improve things much. My reasoning is that I see plenty of teams in my range with the other combos I could see doing. CLS/Chaze. NS. EP or Vader. JTR. The good news is that there's a lot more diversity now then when every team was CLS R2 Han Chaze, the bad news is I'm not sure making a switch will help me since all these other options inhabit the same place in arena as I do right now.

So what do you guys think? Worth investing in one of the other teams, or not worth the bother? I feel like I have ok speed mods but not great and maybe that's the problem. Or maybe that I'm unwilling to refresh to climb higher. It just seems like I could gear up JTR BB8 Old Ben GK (for example) and it wouldn't change a thing, because I'm sitting at #300 right now and I see one at #275.
I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

Replies

• Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Your team now needs a tank, but the rey team you mentioned would be alot better on defense imo.

You just need more speed. For top 20 imo you need atleast a few 100+ speeds on your toons or you will get blitzed.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Oh I have no doubt I have no chance at top 20 given my middling speed mods, I'm just wondering if I can get back to consistent top 200 by changing up. I just wonder if adding a tank would help because if it would, then shouldn't these other teams I'm seeing be higher too, instead of at my level? Maybe they have even worse mods?

I'd just hate to gear several (if not five) new toons to 12 and have the impact be basically negligible.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Oh I have no doubt I have no chance at top 20 given my middling speed mods, I'm just wondering if I can get back to consistent top 200 by changing up. I just wonder if adding a tank would help because if it would, then shouldn't these other teams I'm seeing be higher too, instead of at my level? Maybe they have even worse mods?

I'd just hate to gear several (if not five) new toons to 12 and have the impact be basically negligible.

Yeah, if you are seeing a JTR, gk, bb8, r2, old ben squad at rank 200+ it's most likely bad mods. That is a rank #1 worthy squad.

I would put in gk and thrawn/old ben over wiggs. As of now you have no one protecting your squishy rebels. R2 smoke screen is acting as your swuedo taunt, but he is only 225. Either they can zolo stun him or even outspeed and fracture him.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    So what gear level would I need to get them to? Current gear levels are bad (Thrawn 7 GK 7 Ben 9) and Thrawn/GK are only 5 star as well. I can't imagine this would hold better than G12 Biggs / G11 Wedge, in fact I assume I would sink further.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Of your 8 best speed secondary mods 4 are on your arena team. Id do a full mod rework before I considered changing things up.

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Naraic wrote: »
    Of your 8 best speed secondary mods 4 are on your arena team. Id do a full mod rework before I considered changing things up.

I can look at that but going from a 10 speed to 15 speed mod on a couple of toons doesn't seem like it would do much.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    So what gear level would I need to get them to? Current gear levels are bad (Thrawn 7 GK 7 Ben 9) and Thrawn/GK are only 5 star as well. I can't imagine this would hold better than G12 Biggs / G11 Wedge, in fact I assume I would sink further.

Of course they would sink you at thier current gear levels lol. But you gotta gear some other toons for arena at some point unless you always plan to run g12 wiggs.

I can look at that but going from a 10 speed to 15 speed mod on a couple of toons doesn't seem like it would do much.

You would be surprised. Arena is all about speed wars.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member

Personally I run a Palpatine lead team and whichever player has the fastest Vader almost always wins in a mirror matchup.

I'd imagine getting cls to go first would mean that cls would open with the second special and go again and remove all of someone's turn meter. If your raid Han also stunned someone with shoots first and someone else with dead eye you deny the other team 3 of their first moves. Sometimes an ai will win on defense if you put yourself in that position.

So the goal is to have the first 3 moves in a battle be be raid Han cls and raid han. If you are in that position the ai will win on defense a decent proportion of the time.
  • Gotta pump those speed secondary mods bro. Pump those numbers up! I believe in you.
    Hit the gym.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    So here's another question. I'm due for some serious mod farming soon, should I keep farming crit damage mods to try to improve the speed on Han and CLS, farm crit chance mods to try and pair with their current crit damage mods, or go for speed mods?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Mullato wrote: »
    Your team now needs a tank, but the rey team you mentioned would be alot better on defense imo.

You just need more speed. For top 20 imo you need atleast a few 100+ speeds on your toons or you will get blitzed.

You can do with 90+. I reached 1st on two accounts (yes, on my alt as well) and I've still never reached +100 speed on any too..
  • I would probably just work on mods. The meta will probably shift again by the time you had an arena viable squad.
  • Idk if you do this but take at least one day a week to farm mods. Speed, critical damage, potency, etc. Doesn't matter. Just take some time out of your week to do mods.
    Hit the gym.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Mods are gear that are transferable. You bring a character to G12 and the meta changes, you’re stuck with a useless investment. You get some good mods and the meta changes, you just pay some credits and switch to the latest investment.

Speed wins. Farm it.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Mods it is. Thanks all.