Galactic War - really?

Prev1
Currently lvl 63, running a Phoenix Team (Hera 5* G8, Ezra 7* G7, Kanan 6* G7, Chopper 6* G7, Zeb 7* G7) as my main team. Modded not too bad but not too good either since credits are rare at that level.

I had no issues with GW until yesterday last node: DNihil(L) 4*, DMaul 6*, DSidious 7*, DVader 5*, TFP 7* all lvl 78 G8 and arena mods (speed arrow, attack incr. etc). Bam. They wiped the floor with me.

I do understand that GW should be a challange but it is *IMPOSSIBLE* for me to beat a top geared DN lead team 15 lvls above me. Also I do not yet have 3 or more other teams as a backup.

This is really frustrating as GW is currently my one and only income provider. I hope this gets better at higher lvls.

Whats your experience? Do you think it is OK to have this kind of team as last node that is practically impossible to beat?

On a side note: The RNG here is really bad. I do not mean bad in the sense of that I had deserved better results...but bad in the sense of the algorithm behind. I noticed (also from previous fights) that if you do the same thing from the very start, you almost always get the same results. E.g. in this case Zeb was the first to hit at the beginning of each encounter. I tried 50+ times to get a first hit on one of the opponents in order to get a stun. I tried all of the opponents, but all of them dodged in all 50+ tries. And the actions that followed were also basically the same. So to say there was a pattern.

Replies

• CamaroAMF
    1282 posts Member
    GW you will get the same result every time if you do the same thing. Have to do something different to switch it up, like changing toons, different ability, something.

GW does get better at higher levels.
  • First RNG is like the name says Random, so one day you can get a team that has no synergy and is easy to beat and other day you can get meta, Second the GW was easy and people complaint and now is too hard, so there is no grey point there, so you will have to be patient, try to get as much as you can from what you can win and wait till you have better teams to clear it and reach lv 85 so the difficulty stops increasing...
  • are you using the first set of easy nodes to build TM for different teams? If not, do that.

Send Phoenix in first node. Get TM up.
    Send an Empire team (or one you have strong) in second node. get TM up.
    Send Rebel team in third node. get TM up.

Finish GW with phoenix.

If you run into problems in last couple of nodes, switch to the team that is the best counter and try to knock out 1 or 2 of the toons. Send in other teams as necessary.

Repeat.
  • There is a big difficulty spike around level 60-65 mostly because of mods and abilities you don't have access to yet. This forces players to strategize and branch out and branch out from the one squad strategy most players start with, which is a good thing. Keep building and you'll be beating it again in no time.
  • I ran into almost this exact scenario a few days ago.

Phoenix team, all 7* G8/G9 level 76.

End team was: 7* 84 EP (L) 7* 82 Vader 7* 83 Maul 3* 85 Shoretrooper 5* 82 Thrawn. Guy had almost maxed abilities on all.

Because of the predetermined nature of the opening moves, I could never kill EP before things unraveled. I was about to give up.

Then I threw a scrap team in to soak specials (fracture, shore taunt, vader dots/saber toss). They died without doing much. Sent Phoenix in. Still had issues. Sent another scrap team in to soak the rest. Sent Phoenix in - won without losing a toon.

Preloading is good if you have several evenly matched teams. But if all you've got is one good team, this may help you over the hump.

That being said, especially as you approach the point where the end teams are all 85 with omega/zeta, you'll have to accept there are days you just can't win. These days will become fewer in number as you continue to grow, since the enemies can't really get stronger, but your team(s) will.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Dude it'll be challenging for a while, but what you just described is far from a top end team.

It'll get easier once you get stronger and have more teams that can sustain well
  • Rebel_yell wrote: »
    are you using the first set of easy nodes to build TM for different teams? If not, do that.

Send Phoenix in first node. Get TM up.
    Send an Empire team (or one you have strong) in second node. get TM up.
    Send Rebel team in third node. get TM up.

Finish GW with phoenix.

If you run into problems in last couple of nodes, switch to the team that is the best counter and try to knock out 1 or 2 of the toons. Send in other teams as necessary.

Repeat.

The only team I have as a backup is indeed an Empire/Sith team (DVader 5* G7, DNihil 5* G7, DSion 4* G7, Tarkin 4* G6, Count Dooku 4* G6) but only at lvl 53 since I always lack credits (but working on my scoundrels for credit heist).
    I usually did go from node 1 to node 11 with the Phoenix team and used the Empire/Sith team on the last node to do some cleanup before I entered with the Phoenix team and cleared the last node. This used to work but that DN team basically sniffed both teams.

I will definitely try the TM build up trick. Thanks for that info. But I do not think that would have helped in that case.

How do you all keep up with multiple teams (besides whaling)? I find it really hard to keep up with a second squad. I have to focus on the Phoenix (for EP, Trhawn and arena) as well as on characters and ships for fleet arena. I am aware that there are characters that fit into multiple areas in the game (Tarkin, TFP,...) but keeping 20+ characters on par is insanely difficult
  • I ran into almost this exact scenario a few days ago.

Then I threw a scrap team in to soak specials (fracture, shore taunt, vader dots/saber toss). They died without doing much. Sent Phoenix in. Still had issues. Sent another scrap team in to soak the rest. Sent Phoenix in - won without losing a toon.

I had tried this too, but ended up with the opponents still being at full health and DN being able to instantly nihiliate one of my toons and boom :)
  • Xerrath
    177 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Hate to sound negative but GW is 100% easier than it used to be. It’s a simple leveling issue just keep leveling past the wall. Before th change at your level you would be happy with getting past stage 6

Power up an empire team and you be likely to see better results as well.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Cyclonick wrote: »
    How do you all keep up with multiple teams (besides whaling)? I find it really hard to keep up with a second squad. I have to focus on the Phoenix (for EP, Trhawn and arena) as well as on characters and ships for fleet arena. I am aware that there are characters that fit into multiple areas in the game (Tarkin, TFP,...) but keeping 20+ characters on par is insanely difficult

Later on the growth curve slows and your roster diversifies. Once you get thrawn and Palpatine you will have a very good second team and you will start to build them up as a new arena team.

The problem with galactic war is that it rates a meta team that's 20% stronger than you the same as a random collection of characters 20% stronger than you.

Ie Palpatine Vader Thrawn Nihilus sion is the same for the algorithm as lumi Chewie aayla resistance pilot and foo

Also speed doesn't show up in power calculations the way it should.
  • Cyclonick wrote: »
    I ran into almost this exact scenario a few days ago.

I had tried this too, but ended up with the opponents still being at full health and DN being able to instantly nihiliate one of my toons and boom :)

Ah yeah. Nihilus does pose a problem there. Some days you're just not going to get that last node. I've been playing since Jan 8, and In the 68 Galactic Wars I've seen I've cleared 65 (with Phoenix).
  • Ever since I opened GW I've lost one fight. Just one. It was a similar situation like yours where my phoenixes were just not getting trough the exact team I run today (Palp, Vader, Thrawn and 2 empire/sith toons). The thing was these guys were running zetas when I was level 60 something. I was fine tunning RNG for 2 hours untill I faced the fact that it was not doable. It still haunts me but it's just one fight. It's very rare that you meet a unbeatable team in GW so relax. You aren't likely to meet another by the time you start simming it, which is 150 rotations.
    If I was setting my teams up like people suggested up top I could be 100% sure I will beat every GW every day. Now I am 99% sure. I run my phoenixes on auto and step in with my arena palpateam if needed, or just to watch the control mayhem.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

No you didn't.

Annihilate's cooldown resets at the start of every battle.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »

No you didn't.

Annihilate's cooldown resets at the start of every battle.

If he let a scrap team go in and Nihilus used his specials to reduce cooldown, after the scrap team dies and the good team goes in Nihilus should be primed to attack. Retreat will reset the encounter but a defeat won't.
  • Did some research and found this.
    Is this also true for teams residing in the nodes? If yes I had a different impression.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your opinions and stories. This kind of felt like a GW support group...
  • I'm surprised at all of you guys who are praising GW for how easy it is. Since the last update, my experience has been the exact opposite. I'm running a team of 5 Jedi, all level 75 or 76, fairly well modded with 7 stars each. I have a secondary team of Ewoks+CW Chewie that can usually get me through the first few nodes. Before the update, I was practically waltzing through GW, completing every node.

Since the update, I have only completed GW once. I usually face an impossible team at node 5 or 6. I just lost a battle to a Nightsister team, all at level 80 or above, with the darn zombie that taunts after every attack. They wiped my Jedi team out in less than a minute.

If GW is so easy, why am I getting put against teams that are impossible for my A-team to beat? And yes, I've swapped around the order of toons before the battle and tried different combinations of moves to try to crack the opposition's algorithm, but these match-ups wipe my team out no matter what combo I try. Even if I have a decent backup team, they're going to get wiped out as well because every rematch gives the opposing team a full round of turns before I get to go... and on down the line until my entire roster is depleted.

I'm aware that most video games are designed to increase the challenge as you progress. Between these impossible GW match-ups and the insane number of units required to upgrade gear past Gear Level VIII (50 of a single item, with battles only awarding what you need once out of at least 15 tries?!), this game appears to be PUNISHING me for progressing. Am I missing something?
  • GW is just fine. I've lost maybe once in the last two months.
  • Anything under level 85, GW should be looked at as practice mode throwing 2-3 teams at it strategically. I think I beat 80% of them with the losses getting stuck at the final node. Especially Phoenix (which I used as well) it is easy to run into an unbeatable team.

Now I run it on auto and breeze through ever node. Just waiting to get to my 150 so I can sim it.
  • 3 things

1. Jedi are not very good

2. Chewbacca is not very good ewoks can be with the right ones

3. Nightsisters are a very strong synergy squad and to beat them you need heavy aoe to get around the zombie or a low damage dispel and buff Immunity to prevent her taunt

If you post a link to your swgoh.gg account maybe we can help you out some
  • I'm surprised at all of you guys who are praising GW for how easy it is. Since the last update, my experience has been the exact opposite. I'm running a team of 5 Jedi, all level 75 or 76, fairly well modded with 7 stars each. I have a secondary team of Ewoks+CW Chewie that can usually get me through the first few nodes. Before the update, I was practically waltzing through GW, completing every node.

Since the update, I have only completed GW once. I usually face an impossible team at node 5 or 6. I just lost a battle to a Nightsister team, all at level 80 or above, with the darn zombie that taunts after every attack. They wiped my Jedi team out in less than a minute.

If GW is so easy, why am I getting put against teams that are impossible for my A-team to beat? And yes, I've swapped around the order of toons before the battle and tried different combinations of moves to try to crack the opposition's algorithm, but these match-ups wipe my team out no matter what combo I try. Even if I have a decent backup team, they're going to get wiped out as well because every rematch gives the opposing team a full round of turns before I get to go... and on down the line until my entire roster is depleted.

I'm aware that most video games are designed to increase the challenge as you progress. Between these impossible GW match-ups and the insane number of units required to upgrade gear past Gear Level VIII (50 of a single item, with battles only awarding what you need once out of at least 15 tries?!), this game appears to be PUNISHING me for progressing. Am I missing something?

Missing several things. Least of which is your roster sounds like it needs some focussed building. And what squads are you using, sounds like your using the wrong squad, especially for your NS example, aoe is key there.
  • I pretty much run through all the nodes with 7*Palp lead, 7* Vader, 6* Thrawn, 5* Sion, and 7* Raid Han. At times I got to throw in Rogue team to finish it off. My Jedi team has never got the job done.
  • FedUpSinceVII
    3 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I appreciate everyone's willingness to try and help me out. I've been on this game for the past couple of months, pretty much flying by the seat of my pants. I breezed through most of it up until this last update. Just to further my point, today's 6th GW node is as follows:
    Wedge Lv80 7*
    Biggs Lv80 7*
    Lando Lv78 7*
    Baze Lv82 4*
    Chirrut Lv82 7*

I know without even trying that this is going to be a wipeout. Baze will taunt and will be virtually unharmed, if I do chip away at his energy, Chirrut will restore it, and Wedge will blast my team off the map. These are the kind of impossible scenarios I'm being given. It's not that I can sacrifice a backup team to weaken the opponents first; this is (to me) an unbeatable adversary. If anyone is willing to look at my team and give me some pointers, I'm all ears: https://swgoh.gg/u/falkenverillium/.

On the other hand, I guess kudos to "The3rdAss" for building such a strong team. :)
  • xeynx
    38 posts Member
    I've had the same problem occasionally. (Not necessarily that group, just in general.)

Unfortunately, given your roster, I don't really see a whole lot of hope against that particular team.
    You really need to work on empire (or maybe even a phoenix). Anything that either puts on buff block (like Tie Fighter Pilot), or strips buffs (bunches of chars) to remove the taunt, or boba to block specials and he ignores taunt.
  • I find empire best because you really need to ability block chirrut so he can't cleanse the buff block/daze from baze
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Currently lvl 63, running a Phoenix Team (Hera 5* G8, Ezra 7* G7, Kanan 6* G7, Chopper 6* G7, Zeb 7* G7) as my main team. Modded not too bad but not too good either since credits are rare at that level.

I had no issues with GW until yesterday last node: DNihil(L) 4*, DMaul 6*, DSidious 7*, DVader 5*, TFP 7* all lvl 78 G8 and arena mods (speed arrow, attack incr. etc). Bam. They wiped the floor with me.

If you are using a Phoenix team against Vader in a Sith/Empire team you are supposed to get your **** kicked. Your result is as expected.

• Same issue here. When you can't sim it yet GW is sometimes brutal.

The really old one was challenging but beatable. Then they changed it to easy, which was fine. But now it op.
    Since the update its the 5th time i didn't beat GW.

Had today to fight against a team which did around 800k dmg in a basic attack and healing all damage almost instant.
    Even they should be slower than my team they attacked super fast and annihilated my team in a few rounds.

Not sure how it is supposed to beat such teams when they are a few month ahead of everything you have to counter them.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I appreciate everyone's willingness to try and help me out. I've been on this game for the past couple of months, pretty much flying by the seat of my pants. I breezed through most of it up until this last update. Just to further my point, today's 6th GW node is as follows:

The problem you are finding is that 'power' is used to scale gw. If you take someone like Palpatine and Vader they are better characters than someone at the same level and gear and what looks like the same power.

Jedi are a middle of the road faction in this game and you only have two of the best 5 jedi in your squad. One of which is a tank whose best factor is that he buffs his team when he dies. Also you have two healers. Healers have been considered a bad class to use in this game since they added protection.

I'm going to be harsh here and I'm sorry about it. Your team is bad so you are supposed to struggle. You simply have the dps to break a tank with heal over time on him like baze.

Your mods are insanely poor as well for your level and stage of progression. At your level I had all 5 dot mods and speed secondaries (remember galaxy of speed wars not galaxy of heroes) of some sort on half of them.

You say you have been struggling at gw since the update. I bet you have been struggling since your characters and theirs started having protection and your healers went from useful to much less so.
  • I think a lot of you are missing the point. Yes, if you're level 85 and have options for counters, Galactic War is easier. The complaint is, if you're not, then you already have very few income sources as it is. We should not be seeing geared, level 85 nightsister teams on the last node if we're not level 85. It's ****. We shouldn't need a hard counter to clear a war. It should be a little challenging but not impossible.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Callyx wrote: »
    I think a lot of you are missing the point. Yes, if you're level 85 and have options for counters, Galactic War is easier. The complaint is, if you're not, then you already have very few income sources as it is. We should not be seeing geared, level 85 nightsister teams on the last node if we're not level 85. It's ****. We shouldn't need a hard counter to clear a war. It should be a little challenging but not impossible.

A few things. Those of us who are level 85 have all been there. We're not missing the point.

Secondly, you will need to build your roster like a pyramid not an elevator shaft. When you get into a guild and are participating in raids, Territory Battles and Territory Wars your going to need several solid teams - all well geared and modded.

Third, the fact that the same thing happens if you send in the same team and do the same thing is by design - and to your advantage. Use it that way. Bad rng? Retreat and swap someone out, or attack a different enemy.

Finally, you shouldn't be able to clear GW with a single team. It's called "Galactic War" not "Galactic Battle". It's entire purpose is to test the depth of your roster (and encourage you to improve that depth). The fact that you can't complete it is a hint to develop more teams - not an indication that the game mode is broken.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Callyx wrote: »
    I think a lot of you are missing the point. Yes, if you're level 85 and have options for counters, Galactic War is easier. The complaint is, if you're not, then you already have very few income sources as it is. We should not be seeing geared, level 85 nightsister teams on the last node if we're not level 85. It's ****. We shouldn't need a hard counter to clear a war. It should be a little challenging but not impossible.

Why not? Why can't it be challenging? You will reach level 85 eventually and develop your roster to the point where GW is easy to complete every day. CG never promised anyone that GW would be easy all the way to this point.