Will the BF2 change translate to SWGoH?

I_WANT_YODA
540 posts Member
edited March 2018
With the news of EA unlocking all characters and ships in BF2, does that set a precedence for other games involving real money that is converted to crystals that are then used on chance for power gains?

I don't care to pay a little each month for crystals I use to farm shards and gear pieces, but that adjustment in BF2 has to affect other games you would think...right?
Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...

Replies

• Cal00054
    158 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Bf1 didn’t so I doubt bf2 would
  • BF1 didn't have states and countries trying to ban a piece of the game though.
  • If it does, I doubt the effect will be positive.
  • Bf2 people paid $50+ for upfront. This is a free game if you want it to be. Very different games
  • Bf2 people paid $50+ for upfront. This is a free game if you want it to be. Very different games

Very true, however that isn't what the masses and officials where gping after. It's the mechanic of loot crates, which is present is various games under EA and others.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but was not the issue re bf2 that "loot crates" could drop something between zero items and xx items.? While here in swgoh there is always items received. Money packs have clearly stated exact contents , and crystal packs have a min xx to max xx item per purchase,
  • From what I read, the issue Belgium and Hawaii have with loot boxes is the gambling piece that becomes addictive and minors are subject to. I don't believe the rates were the driving factor.

I do remember a post not that long ago by a former SWGoH top guild player who wrote about the addictive nature of these mechanics, push from guild leaders to spend more, and players who lost everything because of their addiction. I'm NOT saying don't financially invest in the game, we all have seen how that conversation goes...
  • Those guild leaders are. . . . .well can't really express my thoughts in polite company there.

Thanks tho, I thought I had heard that the issue was atleast partly a zero item chance hence why it was gambling cuz you could receive nothing, whereas here in swgoh , you always get xx item,
  • Jeric
    271 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    No. The solution to the HI legislation is rather simple, and the solution is actually one that already exists in mobile apps thanks to COPA. Simply determine the age of player through voluntary disclosure. If 21 or older BUA. If < 21 impose restrictions, not open the game further. The difference between the two protection laws is mostly advertising and data collection storage, not the implementation of age determination.

There have been quotes from HI State Reps that their main concern are AAA console games anyway. If CG and EA protects those under the targeted age, it protects them from letigation. BF2 decision was a PR risk management decision.

The proposed age is a possible issue for appeal.