Have we really hit a balanced arena?

Seems to me that the game has hit a point where, as long as your team can hit 5 out of the 6, it's top 100 viable?

1. Turn meter gain/removal
2. Speed
3. Debuff enemies
4. Cleanse
5. Health/protection regeneration
6. Stun/ability block

Am I correct to assume this now? Lots of oddball teams in the top 50 now.

Replies

• ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    I definitely vote, the more of those you have, the better you do.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Phoenix can check all 6 boxes, and isn't really top 100 material.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    There is a little more to it than that, but i do feel like we have a fairly diverse meta right now. similar to right before CLS came out...
  • Ciomagaru
    41 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    your arena shard is not representative.
    visit https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/ for a more comprehensive report.

if you check the report above right now there is a 3 teams meta: Palp, JTR and Rex leading titans.
    Overall the meta is very unbalanced because at rank 1 Palp lead teams have a 42% rate, but if we take top 20 instead that 42% becomes quite fast something like 60% or more.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    There is a little more to it than that, but i do feel like we have a fairly diverse meta right now. similar to right before CLS came out...

I agree with this. There are still teams that don’t work well in arena even with abilities that check all these boxes (Phoenix doesn’t hit hard enough, for example), but there are a variety of squads that can beat just about anything absent terrible RNG. A number of ZPalp squads work, Titans, Rex leads, JTR. And some sneaky lineups with good synergy.
  • Killbot5000
    714 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hmmm... never took that into consideration... wonder why they fail? The damage output seems ok with Ezra and sabine.
  • Options
    Hmmm... never took that into consideration... wonder why they fail? The damage output seems ok with Ezra and sabine.

Because they don’t have the passive TM buffs that some others get, and it’s too easy to control them. They have no way of resisting or countering enemy TM manipulation or debuffs in general. They do get cleanses, but they generally never get a chance to use them. Kanan is slow, and Chopper is easily ability blocked or stunned. They don’t have a pre-taunt to keep faster enemies from targeting whomever they choose. Ezra and Sabine can do decent damage, but they get quickly focused down because of the issues above. Phoenix is built to feed off hits from the opponent with protection regen and punish with counters. But the better arena squads have too much control and do way too much damage for that to work. It works great at lower levels before other squads get the upper tier abilities that really make them synergize. It just doesn’t work anymore once the higher tier abilities and legendary characters start to show up in arena.