Dev Blog - Communication on Galaxy of Heroes - 3/27/18 [MEGA]

Prev13456
ShaolinPunk
3486 posts Moderator
edited April 2018
CG_Carrie wrote: »
Intro
I joined the Galaxy of Heroes team in mid-2016 to ensure the Ships feature launched on time. By the time I joined much of what makes Galaxy of Heroes special to the players was already defined. Since then, I became the Lead Producer on Galaxy of Heroes, and I’ve focused my efforts on the aspects of our development and processes that needed the most work.
Coming from an MMO background, I find myself often making comparisons between MMOs and mobile games. You’re always on the clock. Everything you make has to consider the state of every person and every account on a live server with players from all over the world - and a reach that extends farther than my dreams …I’m looking at you, single player in Vatican City. And, another similarity, the community wants to hear from you. A lot.
Over the past few months, it has become increasingly clear that one of my new priorities, and something I can help with given my past in MMOs, is how we communicate as a studio.
Q&A
Last week a few of the Producers and I did a Live Q&A last minute. It was absolutely in response to feelings from the community, which have been bubbling up with passion, and sometimes anger, more and more frequently in the past few weeks, but particularly in response to something we had done wrong the night before. I made a commitment then to communicate more, and specifically communicate our intentions. The first piece of which I would like to outline here.
In response to those questions, we have grabbed everything that was asked in the first 13 1/2 pages of the Q&A thread and intend to answer every question over the coming weeks. We won’t always be able to give the response that you’re hoping for; still, the team and I are committed to doing our best effort to explain the decision-making process, our prioritization, and the road ahead.
Quality of Life
February was our most recent Quality of Life update, but it wasn’t all of the Quality of Life improvements we have planned for this year. The February QoL update represented a lot of needed changes that had to be made to the underlying core of the game – and which required an update to the game client. There are however numerous changes we intend to make inside of the game which do not require a client update.
We’d like to share some of those planned changes with you now as part of our intention to improve communications – to explicitly state our intentions, and to show how those intentions turn into meaningful change.
Each day for the next week we will tackle some big topics and provide an additional login incentive in game for your time. For today, this is our Communication Plan. Topics in the coming days include:

Wednesday – Daily Login Improvements
Thursday – Community Improvements
Friday – Character Release Cadence Update
Monday - Raid Rewards Improvements

In the first week of April, it is my plan to release the Road Ahead for the next couple of months. The Road Ahead falls at the beginning of each fiscal quarter (approximately every three months). On top of at least four Road Ahead blogs a year, we will also be doing periodic State of the Galaxies, which are intended to address hot topics in the community, and are reactive to something that may be pertinent at the time. There are also going to be, as always, regular communications from our community team that usually correspond to hotfixes and patches.
Finally, we want to provide some additional Q&A opportunities in the style of the Reddit AMA. We will do our next one on Friday April 6th at 12PM PDT after we’ve had a chance to address some of the existing questions and for you to have a chance to come up with some more.
There are other communications that come through our Game Changers, Beta Program, and other channels. We have been talking about how to use those programs most effectively and will be talking about opportunities for improvement in the near future. In the meantime, if you have any thoughts about communication or styles and topics you’d like to see, please post it in the thread linked below.
More tomorrow, and as always, we’ll see you on the holotables,
-Carrie

From Dev Announcement (LINK)
**Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
Post edited by Carrie on

Replies

• ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Reserved.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Thank you for taking some time to reflect about communication on your side.
    And also considering future exchanges from players to your team.
    It doesn't solve recent issues that turned into a lot of anger and ugly things in the game, but it shows your will to do better.
    I appreciate that.
  • Thanks Carrie. I think you will find communication will go a long way towards keeping the player base happy. Not knowing what is going on is probably the most frustrating player experience.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    :)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I think this is exactly what the player base wants and needs. Looking forward to it
  • Thanks for the communication! Quick question:
    Each day for the next week we will tackle some big topics and provide an additional login incentive for your time.

Do you mean an incentive for logging into the forum or an incentive for logging into the game?
  • Carrie
    122 posts Member
    Thanks for the communication! Quick question:
    Each day for the next week we will tackle some big topics and provide an additional login incentive for your time.

Do you mean an incentive for logging into the forum or an incentive for logging into the game?

Good question. In game. I'm going to edit the post to clarify.
    Senior Producer, Galaxy of Heroes
  • Daily login improvements? Whats wrong with daily login? Seems fine as it is to be honest, i suppose the character release cadence is what probably half the community is out for and the other half wants better raid rewards (assuming this is for the sith triumvirate one)
  • That gigantic in-game pop up was a nice touch.
  • Thank you
  • Thanks for letting us know, it must be hard and frustating when everything has to be approved by Disney, including us the player base.
  • Dash_Cullen
    1 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    As a long time player i used to enjoy the extended notice of upcoming events(i.e. 30 days). That has changed drastically to the point now that you get couple of days to 0 notice of the events. As well as a predictable rotation of legendary character events.
  • Carrie
    122 posts Member
    Daily login improvements? Whats wrong with daily login?
    Come back tomorrow to find out! ;)

Senior Producer, Galaxy of Heroes
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    As a long time player and occasional complainer, I have to say this is a solid step in the right direction. Thank you.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • KolhammerTime
    65 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    This looks like a good step forward. Let's hope it's something with a solid follow-through.
  • I_WANT_YODA
    540 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    From a player who's been in the game 2+ years. It's relief seeing Carrie take on this initiative. We look forward to hearing from You!
    Post edited by Kyno on
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • I'd love to "Carrie" on reading replies here as this sounds like an enormous improvement in Comms but as it's well past midnight, sleep beckons..
    However, I'll be back !! (Oops, wrong franchise)
  • Sounds good!
  • Now this is an improvement. I will be waiting to see what is coming in the next week. But this post is a huge improvement over what we have had in the past. Glad to see it.
  • QJinX
    219 posts Member
    Was a long road getting here but glad to see some giant steps in the right direction!!

Communication is the key, every time, in every instance, in every part of life.
  • Yes, this looks promising. I'm sure we won't like all the answers/communication that we will be given, but I would still very much prefer that over the uncertainty, inconsistency and (relative) silence we've had over the past ~year.
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Looking forward to this!
  • I’ve got a good feeling about this.
  • Azza
    245 posts Member
    Sounds great! Thanks!
  • Thanks for the 75k credits, freebie for logging into the game... :)
  • As a chronic critic of the devs, I’ll tip my hat to them for a giant step in the right direction. This is how you do it. Systematic communication each day means that this is all being planned out meticulously and not rushed. Major announcements each day about burning topics is also very welcome.
    This is going to quell a lot of anger that’s been going around @CG_Carrie Thank you for hearing us and finally taking the time to revamp communications and parts of the game that sorely need it.

Just wondering, though, since your background is MMO, it wouldn’t perhaps be tied to WoW would it?
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Do this right and my wallet may open again. Please, do not pull punches. Be real with your answers and don’t hide behind weak excuses(looking at you “people were mad because they sold gear they needed, so we took the sell option away from EVERYONE”)
  • That 75k credits really helped today! Made lots of progress in game... Hopefully each day will only get better!