Dev Blog - Character Release and Event Cadence - 3/30/2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• So any word about legendarys becoming every other month like yoda and palp were after the first 2 or 3 runs. Thought this was happening for every legendary?
  • Any word about FO executioner? He was released back in January, so he should be available for farming, considering it's almost April now.
  • Gwonk
    239 posts Member
    Will there be mythic versions of the 3 legendary events in April?
  • J_Raphs wrote: »
    passive aggressive nonsense removed

You also need to change "excitement" to "stress"

There is no excitement whatsoever that comes from a one week notice, just frustration.
  • egtrip
    23 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Thx for the post ; )
    We have content releases approximately every two weeks.
    @CG_TopHat can you share the date of the last content update [21/03/2018?] or the next content update?
    Is the next content update expected, m/d/y, 04/04/2018?
    We would like to approximate when Mother Talzin, Wicket, Nightsister Spirit, and Nightsister Zombie will be moving to farmable locations.
  • This sort of clear cadence and basic notification of major events will really help players set their priorities and not feel blindsided when an event comes up. Thank you. This is exactly what we needed.
  • [*] From the day the unit moves to the Chromium Pack or Fleet Pack, and Shipments, approximately four to six weeks later the unit will move to a location in the game.
    • These locations are limited to (at the moment): Cantina, Hard Light Side, Hard Dark Side, Guild Store, and Guild Event Store.
    • As per the recent Q&A we are no longer adding characters to the Galactic War Store, Cantina Store, Fleet Arena Store, or Arena Store. Our intention here is that once these stores are exhausted, they are intended to be a source of shard shop currency for our very well established players.

This pattern is unacceptable, imho. When you made this post over a year ago, explaining release cadences, the only characters released to shops were the phoenix, cassian and ship, and a couple other Rogue one toons (pao, bistan, bohdi). You promised more, yet never delivered.

Now there is a running joke in the upper end guilds that revolve your true cadence for character releases:
    Monday - marquee event for toon
    Tuesday - give players 24 hours to refresh their wallets
    Wednesday - announce event that requires new toon
    Thursday - require several 7* new toons in platoons for TB
    Friday - Developers defend the backlash the community gives on the forum, promise change, and repeat the same process over again on the next marquee event.

I understand the motive behind these releases, you want people to open their wallets. However, disguising under a veil of "excitement" is an insult to the gaming community as a whole, and it makes me wonder if you notice how many people are leaving the game as a result or your opaque "transparent" marketing efforts.

Now that Apple has demanded loot rate drop percentages, and EA has discontinued lootboxes in Battlefront 2 because of several countries banning the game, I worry about the future of this game.

Please consider your position on putting toons in easily farmable locations, it makes a statement that you simple do not care about free to play gamers, and are willing to break any promises made if there is any profit to be had. After so many broken promises, how can the community trust you?

Sincerly,
    - Dave
  • jeiaden
    34 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Ty for informative post. I have only one question. What is the reason no adding a character or ship to stores(GW, fleet shipment etc)? There is a shard shop we know but we also need new characters for TW and TB. A lot of characters exist in the game and no time to farm everyone of them by energy or crystal.
    You guys doing very god job about character design but also very tight about giving us that really good characters.
    Kylo ren unmasked is a good example what you are capable of . Really that was very satisfaying node!!!
  • I'm trying to give credit where credit is due here, all of these blogs have been well thought out and written. However...
    we don't have any INFORMATION at all about any of the real questions yet. We have long-worded, detailed information on how certain things work behind the scenes, but ZERO concrete answers. NOTHING.
    For example, @CG_TopHat , you mentioned (for the third time), release cadence, everyone is asking about NIGHTSISTER zombie/spirit. Another poster asked the question as well. There's no mention of, "hey, we messed that up, it's coming," other than a future update. Really? How far into the future.
    I mentioned this in a post before, you guys have got to deliver INFORMATION- not lip service. Admit you made the mistake and what/when you will fix it. Start with this example.
  • KolhammerTime
    65 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    egtrip wrote: »
    Thx for the post ; )
    @CG_TopHat can you share the date of the last content update or the next content update?
    We would like to approximate when Mother Talzin, Wicket, Nightsister Spirit, and Nightsister Zombie will be moving to farmable locations.

Not who you were asking, but 3/21. :)https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/163658/content-update-3-21-2018
  • @CG_TopHat:

First and foremost -- Thank you for taking the time to communicate with the player base. I know there's many other things you could be working on, the post is greatly appreciated.

That being said (and I know I'm not the first), I would just like to express my discontent with the decision to not update the GW and Arena shops further. New players still have the option to farm the current characters, but there are day 1 characters still just on hard nodes. Baze and Shore came out almost two years ago and they are still gated. I don't understand why Lobot can't be thrown into the arena store to give us long time players something.

When I first started, and up until recently -- There was a great sense of excitement for me when a new character hit. I always knew that I'd be able to farm it up about as fast as the other people if I focused it. It's just a bummer to hear that there's no chance that will be a thing again in the near future.

Thank you again for the communication.

Kind regards,
    Sc4tter
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    So this means that the next time JTR and CLS will be back will be in roughly 3-4 months, correct?
  • Nauros wrote: »
    CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Thanks for the great update @CG_TopHat! Quick question: will the AT-ST, Ghosts of Dathomir and Defense of Dathomir events be discontinued after Talzin and crew move to “traditional” farmable locations? I’m not sure if that is what you meant by this:

“Releases of characters through a Marquee event into a farmable “Heroic Event” will no longer occur (looking at Mother Talzin and Wicket, here).
    - Mother Talzin, Wicket, Nightsister Spirit, and Nightsister Zombie will be moving to farmable locations in the next content release.”

Rather, I think this means that we shouldn’t expect to see similar AT-ST and Dathomir-styled events in the future, correct?

Great question. We have no intention of retiring the Endor Escalation or Defense of Dathomir events at this time. If we make any changes to them (including their regular scheduling or retirement), we'll let you know ahead of time!

As far as future, new Heroic events, there are no new ones planned at this time.

That's a shame, I am enjoying them and would welcome new ones. The only thing in need of adjustment was imo the amount of shards recieved (or the frequency of the events). I think it is a great way to release characters a bit differently and the only fault of the current version is that it is far too slow.

Agreed! I really enjoyed these new "heroic events". My biggest problem with them was both the frequency and the number of refreshes per event. If they had always been 2 times per month and allowed for 2 refreshes, people would have been much more receptive.
  • CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Thanks for the great update @CG_TopHat! Quick question: will the AT-ST, Ghosts of Dathomir and Defense of Dathomir events be discontinued after Talzin and crew move to “traditional” farmable locations? I’m not sure if that is what you meant by this:

“Releases of characters through a Marquee event into a farmable “Heroic Event” will no longer occur (looking at Mother Talzin and Wicket, here).
    - Mother Talzin, Wicket, Nightsister Spirit, and Nightsister Zombie will be moving to farmable locations in the next content release.”

Rather, I think this means that we shouldn’t expect to see similar AT-ST and Dathomir-styled events in the future, correct?

Great question. We have no intention of retiring the Endor Escalation or Defense of Dathomir events at this time. If we make any changes to them (including their regular scheduling or retirement), we'll let you know ahead of time!

As far as future, new Heroic events, there are no new ones planned at this time.

@CG_TopHat You bet.... Don't retire Dathomir/Endor zeta events cause I (and some other thousands players too) spent tons $$$ to 7* those characters just to improve the zeta income. Take note on this. We expect these events for at least couple years. Thank you.
    Do or do not...
  • Would it be possible to get an official list of characters, ships, and gear that rotate through specific locations? Given that it's fairly crowded in each store, an official list would help us strategize on how and where we farm specific items. (this does not need to include Arena or Cantina since those two are static)
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    Toxique wrote: »
    You mentioned Mother Talzin and Wicket coming to a farmable location soon, but then indicated it will be in tandem with the next content release. Can you provide an approximate time frame of when this is? 30/60/90days so that we may plan accordingly?

This is critical information since these characters are well past their intended availability to all players
    Thanks Tox
    CG_TopHat wrote:
  • oh boy, who would believe that the release of marvels strike force would have such an impact on the way the devs handle this game..
  • JKRevan
    156 posts Member
    This blog says nothing new, only reaffirms what has been said long ago, and wasnt respected back then

i guess knowing Talzin, Wicket and Zombie/spirit are going to be farmable next update is something....
  • @CG_TopHat So just to confirm, cantina and fleet shops will also not be updated? I think GW and Arena were the only ones listed in the Q&A.
  • @CG_TopHat you mention the Live team ... “We plan and design characters and ships, events, and raids, are responsible for the tuning of the game, and a myriad of other things.”
    You should take a look ate the drop percentage for equipments and packs. It is really outrageous how much time/effort/crystals/money we need to spend for an item... sometimes it’s as bad as 16 battles x 1 equipment frag. Char Packs “between 5-330” actually average at 7 frags (many videos out there proving the point), and this is also outrageous.
    I have played since the game was launched and have already been through every “phase” of it, and in that aspect it is getting worse and worse every time. And after a couple of years I am starting to feel disappointed (yeah, I am slow) at how you guys are just milking us over and over and not providing quite enough value to “more established” players. I feel I am just another number in your list. Is that how you want us to feel?
    Please, fix the drops. They are unfair to state it mildly.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Thank you for the post, it's always appreciated yet I have to say that I absolutely dislike the idea that no new character will join the arena, the guild war, the fleet or the cantina stores. Just let me decide if I should use my currencies to farm character shards or shard shop currency. If the decision behind this is that players now have accumulated so many currencies for those shops that they might immediately seven star a character that would join any of these shops, that's on you because you didn't update them for so long. Those currencies haven't been stolen, they have been earnt so let people get the value they want with them. Your approach is upsetting and it will make the guild and guild event stores a mess. We will be even more subject to rng. And packs of course because that is what's hidding behind. You made an effort with communication but only spill half the truth unfortunately.
  • I guess this means no RJT again until June? or maybe July? Or maybe after that if they have to change the schedule for any reason?
  • whaywar1 wrote: »

Thanks for the question! We will be updating the April calendar shortly!

Shortly as in today? Or shortly as in “soon”
    [/quote]

It's just updated.
  • Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated.
    Side note-will a mythic thrawn event come with him in April?
  • Morgrain
    4 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    "Originally, our intent with Marquee events was to give new characters a more flashy entrance into the game, [...] Marquee releases have been integral to the long-term stability and richness of Galaxy of Heroes"

I beg your pardon.. this.. is a joke.

I will be so blunt and rephrase your statement into.. the truth.

"our true intention, however, was to get 400 bucks from each of you star wars nerds - every time, we release a new character - to triple our income and harvest your money. we know the amounts are absolute madnes and by releasing overpowered chars, we force you to buy them, but you **** are paying anyway, lets roll! afterall, this is a wonderful time for game creators. in recent years we only earned about 15 bucks as a monthly fee, now - with mobile games and lootbox systems - we get twenty times that amount! for less effort! and you guys are actively helping us! bloody awesome! now open up your portemonnaie. sincerly, your gaming industry"
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Think about it; if nothing comes to me from arena shop, why am i doing arena battle? Is that make any sense?Everyday struggling to be in first 100,why? No new characters. Like darth nihilus phase in that new raid. You havent RJT then no damage, well turn-on auto because no debuff or no damage from basic attack.
  • jeiaden wrote: »
    Think about it; if nothing comes to me from arena shop, why am i doing arena battle? .

Umm... Crystals?