Dev Blog - Character Release and Event Cadence - 3/30/2018 [MEGA]

12346Next

Replies

• Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    @CG_TopHat

At the risk of sounding rude, as that's not my intention, but I think the developers would earn a lot more respect and trust if we had not just communication, but honest communication. Increase in communication doesn't mean much if it's not honest.

As an example:
    * First, we believe that there is a tremendous amount of excitement when a Legendary or Mythic is first announced and we want to preserve that ability to surprise our players.
    * Second, in the initial two runs of the events, we believe players that have invested widely and made preparation for the event should be rewarded for their diligence.

Let's be honest here, the reason that the first couple runs of legendary and heroic events are not announced more than a week ahead of time (if that) is because it is a monetization factor. CG and EA need to make money to earn paychecks and satisfy stakeholders. Short announcement periods allows for people to pay money to panic farm.

You can word it better than "panic" farm to have a more positive connotation, but be honest that it is one of CG's means to monetize the game and the players will respect you a lot more than if you just pretend that it is "to preserve the ability to surprise".

Edit: I just realized that's SWGOH's form of "sense of pride and accomplishment".
    Post edited by Dretzle on
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    Is there a content update tomorrow? I though I saw it somewhere and just wondering cause if there is. Then mother talzins, zombie and spirit along with wicket are supposed to be moved to farmable locations.
  • GW store needs either a rework or the option to add new characters I have no more to farm there and GW tokens stacking up I don't need them for shard store so please do something with it
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    I don't need them for shard store

You've geared all your characters?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • tanki60o
    118 posts Member
    RekiemD wrote: »
    "The first two runs of a Hero’s Journey we consider New and will give at least a week’s notice before their launch."

Yet you gave NO notice for rey. Is this a kind of a joke? Nothing you just wrote will be believed until you PROVE it.
    Players don't trust you no more, sir.

That's why they made these changes! BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE **** ABOUT REY! They mean in the future.
    I AM the High Ground
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    tanki60o wrote: »
    RekiemD wrote: »
    "The first two runs of a Hero’s Journey we consider New and will give at least a week’s notice before their launch."

Yet you gave NO notice for rey. Is this a kind of a joke? Nothing you just wrote will be believed until you PROVE it.
    Players don't trust you no more, sir.

That's why they made these changes! BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE **** ABOUT REY! They mean in the future.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: the original post is not the first time in the game's history they have outlined their plan for a "character release cadence" - that's why people don't trust these "changes".

Maybe this time it'll be different. Maybe they'll actually stick to their own "cadence". We'll see. But I certainly understand the caution - much more than the derision for expressing it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • When Visas Marr and Darth Sion will be farmable? :#:/
  • Wasn’t “the road ahead” specifically supposed to tell us when and where Talzin and Wicket would be farmable???
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    No one will get offended if you state the truth and add "make easy money" to the motivations for marquee characters. Furthermore, no one will get angry if you make them DECENTLY farmable after some time. Believe me, you'll have bunches of shoppers spending a lot of money on them anyway. They do it mostly to have it *ed before everyone else.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Drazhar wrote: »
    No one will get offended if you state the truth and add "make easy money" to the motivations for marquee characters. Furthermore, no one will get angry if you make them DECENTLY farmable after some time. Believe me, you'll have bunches of shoppers spending a lot of money on them anyway. They do it mostly to have it *ed before everyone else.

Hi. You must be new here. Marquee characters are the most free-player-friendly way to release a character short of just giving it to you. While, yes, it's true that they've released characters for free on their launch, it's always been world-beater meta-changers, like Pao or Bodhi Rook.

If you look at the top slots of your Arena leaderboard you will see two other characters that weren't just given to you on release, you got them from the daily login and then they did a month-long event where you would get an extra shard a day. Those characters would be Chopper and Bistan.

That event was added to soothe the playerbase after the outrage of Dengar being released only through the daily login.

Marquee events are the best way to release a character bar none. Before marquees, characters would be introduced via Aurodium Datacards, which were the same crystal price as a regular Chromium Datacard, but only had shards for the three or four most recently-released characters. At least I think they cost the same as a Chromium, I'm not certain because I was never given the chance to buy one--in order for Aurodium Datacards to show up in your store, you had to first spend over $125 on crystals. So if you weren't a spender, you weren't even allowed to look at the old packs, let alone buy them.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    AggelosV82 wrote: »
    When Visas Marr and Darth Sion will be farmable? :#:/

Not soon. I don't remember when they were released, but probably two or three weeks ago? So we're looking at another two or three weeks before they get put into shipments and stores, then another six to eight weeks before they become farmable. So anywhere from eight to eleven weeks, most likely.

The second wave Last Jedi characters (Holdo, Rose, Executioner) should be made farmable soon, though.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Roahn wrote: »
    Is there a content update tomorrow? I though I saw it somewhere and just wondering cause if there is. Then mother talzins, zombie and spirit along with wicket are supposed to be moved to farmable locations.

April 11 is what they said in Ahnold's video...
  • DARTH_TED wrote: »
    Wasn’t “the road ahead” specifically supposed to tell us when and where Talzin and Wicket would be farmable???

No, the road ahead is for big picture things that will be coming up in the next three months to get players excited for what to expect soon(tm).

Specifics like "what node will they be on?" should be in the release notes for the content update. Don't expect too much from the devs in terms of exactly which content release it will be in until the release is scheduled.
  • While I can understand the desire to have a process in place for releasing new characters I don't think there is quite enough release paths yet. Wicket and talzin are more significant and desirable than the other ewoks and night sisters that were released with them but I cannot see how the new cadence differentiates their release path. I agree that neither wicket nor talzin should be either legendary or a hero's journey but there should be some other path than unnamed toons.

Will these end up with different paths or the same?
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Based on this cadence, First Order Executioner (FOE) should be released with tomorrow's content release, alongside the promised Zombie, Spirit, Talzin, and Wicket. The FOE Marquee was 1/11, he was put in shipments 3/2/18 (8 weeks, which is outside the 4-6 week window), and so 4/11 is approximately 6 weeks after he was put in Shipments.

Sith marauder is currently overdue, even with this current communication. His Marquee event was 2/13, so 6 weeks after would have been ~3/27. Ironically that's right around this communication, but instead of reaffirming this additional mistake, it's being ignored. I expect to see him put in Shipments with tomorrow's content, however.

Darth Sion and Visas Marr had Marquees 3/1/18, so this week is also ~6 weeks and they should be put in shipments tomorrow. They've already missed their "one week advance notice of changing the cadence", so if they don't put them in shipments with this content update, it'll already be breaking the promises in this Dev Blog.

Rose & Holdo were put in shipments 3/21/18, so should become farmable the first week of May.

• To make Wicket or Talzin farmable would nullify the need to do their events. And those 2 recurring events are the best in the game
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    To make Wicket or Talzin farmable would nullify the need to do their events. And those 2 recurring events are the best in the game

They already said the events will remain. It doesn't nullify the events because shop shard currency.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    To make Wicket or Talzin farmable would nullify the need to do their events. And those 2 recurring events are the best in the game

They've also already confirmed that those four characters will become farmable in a traditional location in the next content update. I can't take the time to find the link right now, but it was confirmed on these forums by one of the Devs.

The others that I cited come from the recently reaffirmed cadence.
  • To make Wicket or Talzin farmable would nullify the need to do their events. And those 2 recurring events are the best in the game

If they each get like a single hard node then the recurring events will still be a good way to speed up the farm.
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    I wonder will the content update occur at 3am est or will it be later in the day on 4/11?
  • right now I wonder if we get one today at all...
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Roahn wrote: »
    I wonder will the content update occur at 3am est

Lol no.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    right now I wonder if we get one today at all...

It's way early still, they typically happen late afternoon California time.
  • Can we get an Emperor's Demise the first week in May? Asking for a friend.
  • Yodas mythic tier 3 is crap. From the second I start playing I’m handcuffed for at least 10 turns.
    It sucks.
  • Please release a Leia Booster pack to help with the Luke Hero's Journey!