What's the point of the AA 6* challenge's difficulty?

As a disclaimer - I have beaten this challenge on another account. However, as I embark upon the challenge again, with an account that is a year old and maintains fleet rank in the 20s, I've forgotten how miserable this challenge is. This particular account runs Mace as a capital ship because it's fun, so it's not the typical Biggs + DS target lockers. I remember asking my guild mates about it the first time through and almost every one of them said 'yeah, just run it over and over and hope for RNG', which I ultimately ended up doing and it ultimately ended up happening. The question is...why? It's been a year? And why the imbalance? The Executrix is attainable about 3 months after playing, if not sooner?

Just, aggravating.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's not really the challenge that's difficult it's that all the other capital ships are offensively focused and AA is not. You need to be more strategically minded in that battle and the limited number of ships available doesn't help that fact.
  • Options
    Kyno, I don’t think that’s really the issue. It seems like HO can put out some decent damage with high crit rebel teams plus the out of turn bonus damage...

I think it has more to do with the massive volume of HP present in all the ARCs combined with multiple methods of recovering HP/Prot and the bouncing taunt. Those 3 things combined are what make this battle ridiculously difficult. If they were to do something like reduce the # of ARCs available to start and as reinforcement, it seems like that would make it more achievable...
  • Options
    The game is just telling you that AA is a bad capital ship and that Execrutix is really good.

The key to AA is to get ships that passively apply buffs. The challenge is that these types of ships tend to be the hardest to farm or are accompanied by a useless PvP / PvE character. I was lucky to have a G10 Plo (don't ask) that made clearing it easier, but it was still the toughest of the 3. FIves' ship is also important.
  • Options
    Dude you aren't kidding. I've been throwing myself at things challenge over and over again. I'm tired of watching an unending stream of shield recovery, 30-40k crits, and anything else the computer can pull off to make me want to break my phone. Breaking game rules to make challenges difficult isn't fun. It's incredibly lazy design.