Does Anyone Enjoy Territory Wars?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    Tournaments 2.0? maybe. It’s fun though, like a chess match where everyone writes down all their moves before the game. Lots of good yelling and gnashing of teeth, and with a little luck some great smacktalk in the Discord server. Most intense part of the game! I think if you don’t like it, your guild is probably doing it wrong.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    Options
    I like it, and I think I think most members of my guild do too. We like the strategy and coordination required to figure where to place our toughest defenses, where to attack, etc. I like that it gives 2/3 of my roster a reason to exist and be cared about. It's exciting, even when we lose.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tw is my favorite part of the game. Tb are too easy and too predictable. Tw actually evolves. It's different each time.

The guild im in spends countless hours planning where to set deployments and which deployments to set. We've defeated guilds with as high at 13m GP above us.

My guess is, if your not having fun, maybe it's cuz not everyone your playing with enjoys it too. When all 50 members are with the same thought process, it is much better for the whole.

@Nikoms565 i disagree with the you on the scoring change. If it were straight wins again at 25/zone, we'd have ties again. This doesn't happen any longer and that is a good change. In regards to the 35/zone, it was a neat idea implemented incorrectly. I didn't feel it was fair to square off vs an opponent who had 15m+ GP fewer than my guild and they still had to field 35 squads. CG sure didn't figure out how to properly set that up. It's probably worth a revisit in the future.
  • Options
    TW is my absolute favorite part of the game. Our guild really comes together for them. We are tight group and many of us know each other in the real world. We’ve had some amazing matches that have come down to the wire! I can’t get enough of them.
  • Options
    @Nebulous couldn’t agree more.
  • Options
    TW is a lot of fun when your guild cares about it. If you get people who like to strategize, and come up with new ways to beat as many teams as possible with as few attempts on each defense it becomes a lot of fun. At least that’s how it is for me. I’ve enjoyed bonding and creating strategies with my creative guildmates to win nearly all of our TWs. Plus most of our guild doesn’t mind spending gear/time/zetas on toons to help the guild do better. When you have guild mates like that, TW becomes a fun mode, and not just a dreadful GW revamped.
  • Options
    Not really. But happy it exists can you get good rewards for doing nothing
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    Tw is my favorite part of the game. Tb are too easy and too predictable. Tw actually evolves. It's different each time.

The guild im in spends countless hours planning where to set deployments and which deployments to set. We've defeated guilds with as high at 13m GP above us.

My guess is, if your not having fun, maybe it's cuz not everyone your playing with enjoys it too. When all 50 members are with the same thought process, it is much better for the whole.

@Nikoms565 i disagree with the you on the scoring change. If it were straight wins again at 25/zone, we'd have ties again. This doesn't happen any longer and that is a good change. In regards to the 35/zone, it was a neat idea implemented incorrectly. I didn't feel it was fair to square off vs an opponent who had 15m+ GP fewer than my guild and they still had to field 35 squads. CG sure didn't figure out how to properly set that up. It's probably worth a revisit in the future.

Honestly, I think you disagree with what you think I mean, not what I actually mean. :) I actually think you and I agree.

I was not suggesting going back to a 25/zone straight win system. That system is also not ideal for the reasons you mentioned - specifically, ties. As you clearly state, the larger number of teams required was a neat idea, it was just implemented incorrectly. Largely because the algorithm for matchups still seems off at times and because the numbers required/zone were too high at lower GP levels.

My only complaint about the current scoring system as plays out in actual TWs is that you have two things that make it fairly "dull":

1) Most guilds, for expedience and strategy, set most zones with all of 1 team (i.e. 25 CLS, 25 GK/Zarris, 25 zPalp, 25 Phoenix, 25 JTRey, etc.) Most of these teams have an "ideal" counter team - one that can take out the entire team whilst minimizing losses leading to a max banner win.

2) To maximize banners (and knowing you have 50 guild members to do so), most guilds and smart players send in their 1 "ideal" counter team, take out 1 enemy team....and wait. They wait until 24 other guild members do the same. Because getting creative, or sending 2 "sub-optimal" teams in combination costs in overall banner. This "fight once and sit around and wait" period can be even longer in multi-national guilds where players are in multiple time zones.

The current system also has another flaw which is a little more "gamey" - that is, score wise, if there is only one weakened enemy unit left is better to send in a max number of units to "overkill" for the bonus points for surviving units rather than just enough to finish the job.

I also agree with your final point - the scoring needs to be revisited. While I agree that ties are not preferred, neither is a system that rewards complacency and punishes action and creativity.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Nikoms565

I don't think you have to send in a full squad on mop up to get full banners you get points for empty squad positions. I can get 20 banners with a 4 man resistance squad.
  • Options

That's the worst part. It makes me want to stick forks in my eyes.

• SuperTrooper2005
    7 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    We enjoy territory wars. We are 20-0-1 (85 mill GP)but we stay active. It is the only game concept that is guild vs. guild. If anything we need more activities or game modes or changes, that really make it player vs. player, rather than the play against the computer or static force.

We also are looking for new members: TheNerfHerders
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    6The6Bull6 wrote: »

So just do what the others tell you to do then.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    We also are looking for new members: TheNerfHerders

Get your shameless recruitment out of this thread.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    6The6Bull6 wrote: »

This could be tough and this is supposed THe be a causal game and not an mmorph. But I find the strategic value stimulating. I guess we are just a little bit different.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Honestly, I think you disagree with what you think I mean, not what I actually mean. :) I actually think you and I agree.

I was not suggesting going back to a 25/zone straight win system. That system is also not ideal for the reasons you mentioned - specifically, ties. As you clearly state, the larger number of teams required was a neat idea, it was just implemented incorrectly. Largely because the algorithm for matchups still seems off at times and because the numbers required/zone were too high at lower GP levels.

My only complaint about the current scoring system as plays out in actual TWs is that you have two things that make it fairly "dull":

1) Most guilds, for expedience and strategy, set most zones with all of 1 team (i.e. 25 CLS, 25 GK/Zarris, 25 zPalp, 25 Phoenix, 25 JTRey, etc.) Most of these teams have an "ideal" counter team - one that can take out the entire team whilst minimizing losses leading to a max banner win.

2) To maximize banners (and knowing you have 50 guild members to do so), most guilds and smart players send in their 1 "ideal" counter team, take out 1 enemy team....and wait. They wait until 24 other guild members do the same. Because getting creative, or sending 2 "sub-optimal" teams in combination costs in overall banner. This "fight once and sit around and wait" period can be even longer in multi-national guilds where players are in multiple time zones.

The current system also has another flaw which is a little more "gamey" - that is, score wise, if there is only one weakened enemy unit left is better to send in a max number of units to "overkill" for the bonus points for surviving units rather than just enough to finish the job.

I also agree with your final point - the scoring needs to be revisited. While I agree that ties are not preferred, neither is a system that rewards complacency and punishes action and creativity.

As far as what I think you mean, it was stated that the scoring change reduces creativity. Thus, not good in the context of your other statements.

I also don't think tw needs to be a practice room. It's not really the time for trying to be creative. It's time to defeat your enemy. There are, I presume, 49 other players wanting to win too. I'd suggest practice in arena and execute in tw.

You are correct in that the accepted best defense is 25 carbon copies in each zone to slow the enemy down. This leads to the 25 best counters for maximum points. And yup, that is what we do too. But you can get deeper than that.

Do you place the 50 squads in north and south. Do you place them back-to-back and then which part of the map do you place them? For defense, it's a lot more proactive than the reactive offense is forced to do. But that is part of the strategy of doing that. THe gambit is, will my opponent lose patience and use suboptimal squads and risk losing some points. That is why this strategy is actually the correct choice. Regardless if my opponent finds it boring or not. I want them to find it slow so they get reckless.

Also, you can send in fewer than 5 for max points. The empty slots count as points so long as they were empty when the match began.

• TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Why would you practice in arena? You don't value your crystals?

Also you don't get any extra points for putting in less toons, you get one point for empty slots but also one point for surviving units so it's the same either way.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Also you don't get any extra points for putting in less toons, you get one point for empty slots but also one point for surviving units so it's the same either way.

You don't need to field 5 for a win sometimes and you can use them in another battle if needed. Also, if one dies for what ever reason, you just lost a point you may not have. So while the points could be the same (you may lose a hero), the strategy is not the same.

As far as valuing crystals, sure they are valuable. But arena is your own time and your own resources. TW isn't so much about the individual as it is about the guild. So I'd say, since gw has changed and we don't have sandbox, arena is the best avenue to where one can practice vs top tiered heroes.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    It's probably my guild's favorite part of the game. Sith raid participation is slipping hard, but TW is the one time everyone gets on and rallies together.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options

You don't need to field 5 for a win sometimes and you can use them in another battle if needed. Also, if one dies for what ever reason, you just lost a point you may not have. So while the points could be the same (you may lose a hero), the strategy is not the same.

As far as valuing crystals, sure they are valuable. But arena is your own time and your own resources. TW isn't so much about the individual as it is about the guild. So I'd say, since gw has changed and we don't have sandbox, arena is the best avenue to where one can practice vs top tiered heroes.

I don't understand a single thing you said.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

He must be in the TFP guild
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

If you don't ask for clarification on my points, then it doesn't matter enough to you. I'll consider this the end of the discussion.
    Post edited by Nebulous on
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

I don't know what the duck tfp guild is, but i am in the top guild in the game and I am just trying to help explain why tw is fun at the pinnacle level of the game.
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

I don't know what the duck tfp guild is, but i am in the top guild in the game and I am just trying to help explain why tw is fun at the pinnacle level of the game.

Tfp guild was from a different post no one new what it was. Kind of an inside joke.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

If you don't ask for clarification on my points, then it doesn't matter enough to you. I'll consider this the end of the discussion.

Good move. I don't know why it's supposed to matter to me. You clearly have a different arena experience than I do. I mean, good for you, but I would expect you're in the extreme minority of people if you can throw away battles.
  • Options
    I do. Territory Wars are my absolute favorite game mode they've added to this game. It's tremendously increased our guild participation and morale. Even when we lose, it's close and fun throughout. TW adds so many more dimensions to this game that were previously lacking. I'm having so much fun playing in competitive matches with characters and teams I had almost never used in the past. I don't see any downside at all. You don't have to participate and it literally does not affect your guild at all (as long as you didn't sign up).
  • Options
    No, where we needed an event that added enjoyability we got another grind. It kills morale, it destroys guilds. Fix matchmaking....

How could you possibly call TW a grind? From start to finish they take 3 days, only 1 of which requires active participation. Even then it could be as small as a few battles worth depending on your defensive deployment. Things like the Sith Raid are a grind. 4 battles worth of 6 waves of snowtroopers for 6 days is a grind. Farming DN is a grind. TW are not, and even if you dislike them you can omit them with no consequences for your guild.
  • Ulic_24
    106 posts Member
    Options
    I enjoy TW, it’s a nice break from the weeklong slog of TB, and the zeta/omega are nice. There’s also something satisfying about beating a guild 21M higher GP than yours :)