Change Arena Payout time - have they looked into this?

Prev1
Sklar_Fore
1 posts Member
edited April 2018
I've been playing the game for about four months and I'm wondering what history, if any, there is with negotiating Arena payout times with the developers.

I assume everyone's payout is at the same time relative to their timezone, so 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. currently. But then obviously payout times are different for someone in the US vs someone in Europe or Asia. For me personally, the payout times are really inconvenient. I've got a family with children and I don't want to be spending time on this after work before they're in bed. I also imagine that being locked into your payout times would screw someone who moved overseas, for example.

There are two ways I think the developers could improve this.

1) Allow players to pick a convenient payout time - I know some will cry that it could be manipulated, but if you put in place a maximum of one time change per month or 3 months, it would solve that issue. People wouldn't be able to change time payout daily and collect multiple payouts per day.

2) If the developers won't budge on the first option, then I'd recommend moving the payouts back at least one hour, and possible two. I'd personally prefer 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., but even 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. would be much better. I can't imagine anyone would not prefer the payouts starting at 8 p.m. over 7 p.m.

Is this something the developers have ever addressed. There seems to be a lot of goodwill right now, and the recent changes have been awesome. This is something I'd really love them to address, but given that I'm new I'm wondering if I'm beating a dead horse here.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    you're pretty much beating a dead horse.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    We need a dead horse subforum.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef wrote: »

All right. I appreciate the response. Hoping they're more open to something like this in the future but won't get my hopes up.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »

Only pretty much?

I don't think you can find a more dead horse on the forum.

They may or may not have looked into this. But they have not made any official statements about this topic, not that I can recall.
  • A one time ability to change your time zone on your 1 year anniversary would be a huge help to everyone while not being abusable.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    A one time ability to change your time zone on your 1 year anniversary would be a huge help to everyone while not being abusable.

The issue with that is that then a shard chat divides up the day and you go from 20 people being in 3 hours, to 20 people spread out over 12-14 hours and put a lockdown on a shard.... then you can't do anything for a whole year.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Dead horse? I’m thinking minced meat at this point.
  • Purée anyone?
  • AntiHeld
    237 posts Member
    a dead horse, but an important dead horse for many players it seems. So it's totally ok to to beat it from time to time.
    Saving a players arena rank every full hour and at payout time rewarding the best saved rank of the day would still be my suggestion to solve this. Maximum flexibility for the players. No net increase oft the rewards for CG.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    AntiHeld wrote: »
    a dead horse, but an important dead horse for many players it seems. [ ... snip ... ]
    secretariat ?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    a dead horse, but an important dead horse for many players it seems. So it's totally ok to to beat it from time to time.
    Saving a players arena rank every full hour and at payout time rewarding the best saved rank of the day would still be my suggestion to solve this. Maximum flexibility for the players. No net increase oft the rewards for CG.

Not necessarily true. Do you have a person at the top every hour for PO? It would probably increase PO for top 3 spots by 50%. Our chat has 8 hours representing 36 or so players. 3 hours account for 26 of those players. Most peoples days are 12-16 hours long (average awake time) I'm sure we could coordinate that so the group would take top 3 every day and that's not accounting for the people who we dont know and work there way up to the top. Just as an example.

Not saying it's not a bad idea or that it doesn't need to be looked at, but we need to keep in mind they do want to have some "exclusivity " to top rewards and not just hand them out.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member

Everyone beating this horse is just wasting their time, but ok.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Literally everyone in this game is wasting their time, that's the point.
  • AntiHeld
    237 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    but we need to keep in mind they do want to have some "exclusivity " to top rewards and not just hand them out.
    you are in a chat. "exclusivity" gone. reward just handed out already :).
    But yes, you are right that it could increase PO if the top spots don't change often during the day anyway. Especially with coordination in chats. Tbh i don't monitor the top 10 very much since I normally only fight my way up to the top 50 or top 20 if I have a lucky day.
    But still. Since it is possible already, that evey hour those spots are paid out to someone It is still half way WAI.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    but we need to keep in mind they do want to have some "exclusivity " to top rewards and not just hand them out.
    you are in a chat. "exclusivity" gone. reward just handed out already :).
    But yes, you are right that it could increase PO if the top spots don't change often during the day anyway. Especially with coordination in chats. Tbh i don't monitor the top 10 very much since I normally only fight my way up to the top 50 or top 20 if I have a lucky day.
    But still. Since it is possible already, that evey hour those spots are paid out to someone It is still half way WAI.

Considering its timezone based, it has nothing to do with the design "WAI". It's about physical location and the population density.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    A one time ability to change your time zone on your 1 year anniversary would be a huge help to everyone while not being abusable.

The issue with that is that then a shard chat divides up the day and you go from 20 people being in 3 hours, to 20 people spread out over 12-14 hours and put a lockdown on a shard.... then you can't do anything for a whole year.

while I agree with the premise of maintaining competitive shards (i.e., not allowing a group of 20 to gain a competitive advantage by exploiting payout adjustments) I personally think that's a difficult conclusion to reach. It assumes that all members of the chat are competitive enough to hold those positions when they have fewer allies in their payouts. Plus, it really only interferes with other people in the shard chat. In my time in the game, I've never seen someone at the top rank that wasn't in the shard chat, regardless of payout time. There isn't some magical time of day where all of a sudden non-shard chat players are taking the top 5 spots.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

while I agree with the premise of maintaining competitive shards (i.e., not allowing a group of 20 to gain a competitive advantage by exploiting payout adjustments) I personally think that's a difficult conclusion to reach. It assumes that all members of the chat are competitive enough to hold those positions when they have fewer allies in their payouts. Plus, it really only interferes with other people in the shard chat. In my time in the game, I've never seen someone at the top rank that wasn't in the shard chat, regardless of payout time. There isn't some magical time of day where all of a sudden non-shard chat players are taking the top 5 spots.

We have 2 separate hours where that happens. 3 in one and 2 in the other.

If you think about it though if you had 20 people in a constant rotation it would be harder for anyone to penetrate. Our group doesn't mess with anyone if we dont have to. I drop all the time until I start to move up. But if a few from the group are moving up each hour that's a lot harder to get up there unless someone knows you are coming.

In each hour holding isn't an issue of how many, since you would be shielded by th moves of the previous groups the hours before.

Edit to add : yes I realize I am generalizing, just my experience and trying to make a constructive thought out process.

It's not always easy to see why things can't always be changed.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

We have 2 separate hours where that happens. 3 in one and 2 in the other.

If you think about it though if you had 20 people in a constant rotation it would be harder for anyone to penetrate. Our group doesn't mess with anyone if we dont have to. I drop all the time until I start to move up. But if a few from the group are moving up each hour that's a lot harder to get up there unless someone knows you are coming.

In each hour holding isn't an issue of how many, since you would be shielded by th moves of the previous groups the hours before.

Edit to add : yes I realize I am generalizing, just my experience and trying to make a constructive thought out process.

It's not always easy to see why things can't always be changed.

I agree with that. Higher probability of non-shard chat members simply sniping each other on the way up if there are 3 colluding to protect one another, but if the current non-shard chat members started to collude they'd outnumber the ones that moved.

You're also right that it's tough to know why things can't be changed. Could be a technical thing, could be a gameplay thing. I tend to look at this from a biased position because I moved from west coast to east coast and now it costs me more crystals to keep up with the 600 because the last bonus energy drops after bed time. Also, my shard doesn't play nice and won't let me into the chat or the top 20, but that's a non-issue for me. I just want the bonus energy.

Is the horse extra dead yet? :)
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    It’s turned from minced meat into purée into atoms by now thanks to you.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Huatimus wrote: »
    It’s turned from minced meat into purée into atoms by now thanks to you.

We are nothing if not thorough.
  • i wonder about the possibility of basing rewards on your highest rank over the past 24 hours instead of the rank at a singular time. if they did that, payout time wouldn't matter, and sniping and such wouldn't be an issue.
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    Its been suggested but Because so many people would be able to take 1st place they would be giving out way more rewards. That would lead to loweing rewards and make climbing to 1st probably not worth the effort
  • fair point, though i still view it as an improvement over the current system.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    i wonder about the possibility of basing rewards on your highest rank over the past 24 hours instead of the rank at a singular time. if they did that, payout time wouldn't matter, and sniping and such wouldn't be an issue.

the answer from the Q&A
    Dr_Alan_Grant: Is there any thought about having a players highest rank throughout the day count for their payout?
    [NR] The answer is no. This sort of system ultimately doesn't reward the play pattern we believe drives competition, which is players should battle for the top spot at a specific payout time. This also likely facilitates collusion behavior that we think is detrimental to the game.

• metal_samurai
    172 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    i see. thanks for that, kyno.

i frankly can hardly believe that's their answer; i don't think i could disagree more. are they saying collusion isn't exactly what we have now? the top spots are determined not by competition, but by arrangement.
    Post edited by metal_samurai on
  • I think the point is that currently. Even tho a chat may exist with folks generally staying out of each other's way, the point is, you still need to have a good solid squad in order to actually climb, any old junk won't cut it.

Now mebbe I'm too simplistic , but think about it, if all you need to do is hit rank one or whatever for a minute at any point in the day, that will lead to massive chats , here it your turn, hit one for a minute, or five, then it's the next etc etc , the specific time for payout does make it harder because there are xx amount of people on that time, you can't just have a chat and expect to tank with junk, cuz there is always folks that aren't in a chat that are playing as well,.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    i see. thanks for that, kyno.

i frankly can hardly believe that's their answer; i don't think i could disagree more. are they saying collusion isn't exactly what we have now? the top spots are determined not by competition, but by arrangement.

They can't control payout coordination and cooperation outside the game. They can control/prevent inside the game by denying any payout time shuffling within the game.
  • i wasn't suggesting they shuffle the payout time. i was suggesting essentially that they make the payout time inconsequential.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Which they have also stated they’re not intending to do that.
  • xeynx
    38 posts Member
    i wonder about the possibility of basing rewards on your highest rank over the past 24 hours instead of the rank at a singular time. if they did that, payout time wouldn't matter, and sniping and such wouldn't be an issue.

the answer from the Q&A
    Dr_Alan_Grant: Is there any thought about having a players highest rank throughout the day count for their payout?
    [NR] The answer is no. This sort of system ultimately doesn't reward the play pattern we believe drives competition, which is players should battle for the top spot at a specific payout time. This also likely facilitates collusion behavior that we think is detrimental to the game.

The problem is this happens in all shards already, it's being "denied" as detrimental to the game, yet the current method facilitates just as much collusion right now! I don't get what the difference is?

I also made a post about a PVE option, which, would prevent collusion, because well, it's PVE =p.

They want competition, but with the number of threads and calls for changing the arenas as there are, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of competition.

The current design doesn't discourage collusion, in fact, it encourages it just as much as the "highest in 24 hours". Maybe even more so because you have to "defend" your spot.

Absent changing how the arenas work, there probably isn't a good way to discourage nor prevent collusion.
    My PVE idea would at least give people a chance at some better rewards, even if they can't get the "top of the shard" rewards.