Turn-manipulation cores

Turn-based RPGs have always to some extent been about speed, as I'm sure we all know. Where an RPG goes, you can be sure that closely behind will come the community compiling great lists of speed tiers. It doesn't matter how hard you hit, you ain't doing nothing if you get one-shot killed before you can move. Or two-shot to your one.

We have speed tiers here too. So we have debates over the merits of QGJ and Dooku and so on. But this game presents an interesting side-step to the speed dynamic by having the ability to manipulate turn meters.

I was intrigued by the opportunity to exploit this so I started to consider teams that could take advantage. As in any squad based RPG, it's all about building around a core. So what could be the turn-manipulation cores in GoH?

Here's my attempt, but I would be interested to see yours.

I start with what to me seems the master turn manipulator, which is Stormtrooper Han. He forces people to hit him and every time they do, you get a bump to all your turn meters. On top of that, every time he moves, he can reduce the opposition meters. It's the ideal character to build turn manipulation around.

So now I need to complete the core with some synergistic DPS to take advantage of the turns given and do some manipulation of their own.

My solution was to turn to a leader that manipulates turn meters and supports an assassin to take advantage of it. That's HK-47 and IG-86. With HK as lead, IG-86 is critical hitting almost every time it goes. And with HK as lead, every time IG crits, it increases its turn meter. Meanwhile, it hits like a freakin' truck. To top it off, it even has a chance to call HK with its special move, almost guaranteeing /both/ of them a crit and thus turn meter increases. This three man core therefore sets up IG-86 to hit multiple times before the opposition can really get into its groove.

So that's the core. I find GS goes well with it because it also has a decent crit chance and increases its turn meter if it does crit. Also its speed off the bat helps to eliminate potential problems early in the game.

And then, since this is a team that needs a round to set up, I think you do ideally need a healer. Although there is an argument for some like Phasma to increase the chaos.

That's my attempt to take advantage of turn meter manipulation. What's yours?

Replies

• Might think stun as well. It my not actually manipulate the turn meter, but it does make them skip a turn so it is kinda like a 100% turn meter reduction. Dooku, Daka, or RG... I think Eeth Koth has a pretty reliable stun...
  • Kalo
    123 posts Member
    Currently running Phasma, Poe, St Han, Daka and Dooku. It's fun but lately about 50/50 against the speed meta teams on offense. Mainly goes as RNG goes. QGJ/Yoda/GS/Rey/Dooku is pretty popular right now on my leader board.
  • The problem is your looking at speed in the wrong way. It's not the turn meter manipulation that is the most important, it is the base speed. None of the manipulation can happen until that character actually takes their turn, and doesn't matter once their dead. In that team set up, IG-86 would never make it to his first turn, as people will simply throw their Dooku, sidious, GS, QGJ, Rey, Leia, Yoda etc. at him long before he will ever be able to hide behind Han, and there is no healer fast enough to save him. You could try Daka and get lucky with a revive but that's not really a safe bet. Once he is dead, having HK-47 as leader becomes pointless, buffs himself which is nice but it's basically a waste of a leader skill. After that, if the other team has Poe, which they probably will, the only person on that team who will go before him is GS. GS might kill someone sure, but after that the other 4 on the team will get their turn meter reduced and now even if IG-86 somehow does survive, he has to get through Poe first, and if he was able to survive to his first turn, he certainty won't make it to his second even with the turn meter from crit.

To put it simply, the team is to slow. Turn meter manipulation is great to go with high base speed, but doesn't really stand on it's own.
  • Phasma and Poe/ Han work well together and grant enough turn manipulation for the team.

Ackbar is an interesting pick if you have some glass cannons who can get extra shots off.

Ani is another really good pick if you use glass cannons

Maul can be really cool with Daka and GS/ QGJ to call in assists and chance a revive.

There are a ton of characters with turn meter manipulation... GS, Luke, Han, Hoth Scout, Yoda, Sid, etc etc. I think most teams should have at least two of their guys with some form of turn meter advantage