Don’t Make Us Watch Videos

Prev1
Can we please halt the new trend of giving information exclusively in videos? I hate videos unless they are necessary (ex: raid tactics are great in a video). I’d much rather read my information. Plus 80% of the time I’m doing something SWGOH related I’m not somewhere I want to have sound coming from my phone.

Replies

• Totally agree
    Anyone who made good videos are long gone anyway
    Just shills remain
    I just watched a video by ahnald...
  • Can we please halt the new trend of giving information exclusively in videos? I hate videos unless they are necessary (ex: raid tactics are great in a video). I’d much rather read my information. Plus 80% of the time I’m doing something SWGOH related I’m not somewhere I want to have sound coming from my phone.

This right here ^^^ fifty times over.
  • Can we please halt the new trend of giving information exclusively in videos? I hate videos unless they are necessary (ex: raid tactics are great in a video). I’d much rather read my information. Plus 80% of the time I’m doing something SWGOH related I’m not somewhere I want to have sound coming from my phone.

As I respect your opinion on this. I've got to disagree somewhat. I've found the videos very helpful to learn new things. Sometimes on here, it's gets buried under nonsense. At least on those videos I can go directly to it, and not wade through everything.

As I respect your opinion on this. I've got to disagree somewhat. I've found the videos very helpful to learn new things. Sometimes on here, it's gets buried under nonsense. At least on those videos I can go directly to it, and not wade through everything.

Just cuz I have to ask, what exactly are you "wading " thru, the dev posts are always top of the thread, and easy to read.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I'm not sure this is a trend. They were utilizing the gamechangers to get answers out there from the first Q&A.
  • Falen_Lacer
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree. I live in an area with pretty low data caps. Watching video in hopes of actually learning whats coming up is not how I want to use the precious few GBs I get.

That said, I have nothing against it being available in video format. But I really wish it were available in a text post somewhere convenient as well.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is a trend. They were utilizing the gamechangers to get answers out there from the first Q&A.

Were these last 2 video pop ups in game not giving exclusive info that couldn’t be found anywhere else? The first one contained a lot of new info. I actually haven’t been able to watch the 2nd one yet, but it appears to have info I haven’t seen based on the preview.
  • I agree. I live in an area with pretty low data caps. Watching video in hopes of actually learning whats coming up is not how I want to use the precious few GBs I get.

That said, I have nothing against it being available in video format. But I really wish it were available in a text post somewhere convenient as well.

Exactly. I have no problem with the videos being available, but I’d like a written form of communication to go with it.
  • I agree, sometimes videos are nice, but I don't always want to watch a 15+min video for something I could read in a minute
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    Yeah why not both, the vid and a summary on the form

Just cuz I have to ask, what exactly are you "wading " thru, the dev posts are always top of the thread, and easy to read.

Stuff like this. I'm allowed to have my opinion

Huh? The dev info posts have their own section. You literally don’t have to wade through anything other than other dev posts. I don’t even see these last 2 videos posted on the forums (they might be, but I didn’t easily find them). They were just linked in game. The last one I had to go to Reddit to find the link.

Huh? The dev info posts have their own section. You literally don’t have to wade through anything other than other dev posts. I don’t even see these last 2 videos posted on the forums (they might be, but I didn’t easily find them). They were just linked in game. The last one I had to go to Reddit to find the link.

Things get lost in translation when they post. So many questions asked because there was no clarity, or people didn't understand what it was they were trying to get across in the post.

In a video they can articulate what they trying to say more, and the interviewer asks a follow up question if something isn't clear. In a post you either have to wait to get a response to a question, or sometimes never get clarity.

Like I said, I respect your opinion. It's all good

Lol, wow, someone's touchy, have an opinion boyo, none said you can't was just asking what you meant.

Things get lost in translation when they post. So many questions asked because there was no clarity, or people didn't understand what it was they were trying to get across in the post.

In a video they can articulate what they trying to say more, and the interviewer asks a follow up question if something isn't clear. In a post you either have to wait to get a response to a question, or sometimes never get clarity.

So post the literal word for word Q&A from the video then. It’s not difficult. A large chunk of the user base is annoyed because we have to watch a lengthy video to have the latest info. There’s no reason for that, other than being able to sell video ads.

So post the literal word for word Q&A from the video then. It’s not difficult. A large chunk of the user base is annoyed because we have to watch a lengthy video to have the latest info. There’s no reason for that, other than being able to sell video ads.

I don't want to get in trouble for saying this, but I think the other reason they do the videos is they want the game changers to be relevant.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I agree with this. I want to spend two minutes reading a post. I don't want to spend 20 minutes watching a video, especially when I'm in a place I can't do so.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    i totally agree.
    Or just post it twice like with character kit releases (forum post and a gamechanger vid). Everybody wins.
    Save water, drink champagne!

I don't want to get in trouble for saying this, but I think the other reason they do the videos is they want the game changers to be relevant.

I said ad revenue, but that was poorly thought out. You are right, it’s game changer exposer. Game changers are advertising for SWGOH. It’s meant to feel natural, but we all know it’s not. We’ve seen game changers removed for not being positive enough. So yes, you are correct, it’s a way for them to increase advertising.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Were these last 2 video pop ups in game not giving exclusive info that couldn’t be found anywhere else? The first one contained a lot of new info. I actually haven’t been able to watch the 2nd one yet, but it appears to have info I haven’t seen based on the preview.

They were answers to the list of questions that didn't get answered from the first QA, they let the game changers pick a few and did the interviews.

I dont know if this will be a trend from here on out, as they have not stated anything about the regularity of QA sessions.

This was not done as a "new way" to get info out in lieu of other means, but as an addition too, from my understanding.

Not that this helps in all circumstances but I have been told there is a website that will turn any YouTube video into an audio only file, which may be easier to listen to and download to listen at your leisure.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    That sure seems like a lot of work versus two minutes to read a post.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • urtil
    73 posts Member
    I totally agree.

I don't want to have to watch a 15 min video to get maybe one minute of worthwhile information. In a written post I can quickly scan if the information provided is interesting for me or not.

If you want to do the videos I don't mind. Some people might prefer that format. But please do also post any relevant information here in a written format. Not only will it save me lots of time it will also make it much easier to share information with my guild mates that neither watch videos nor visit the forum often. I can simply copy&paste the relevant pieces of information which I cannot do with the video.

@CG_Carrie: See it as another QOL update to provide all the information needed for the game in one spot that is easy to access and digest: the dev post section.

Many thanks!
  • Kyno wrote: »

They were answers to the list of questions that didn't get answered from the first QA, they let the game changers pick a few and did the interviews.

I dont know if this will be a trend from here on out, as they have not stated anything about the regularity of QA sessions.

This was not done as a "new way" to get info out in lieu of other means, but as an addition too, from my understanding.

Not that this helps in all circumstances but I have been told there is a website that will turn any YouTube video into an audio only file, which may be easier to listen to and download to listen at your leisure.

That’s all great, but that’s a classic straw mans response. None of that addresses the complaint that is pretty widespread here. They released and promoted game information exclusively in video format. I really don’t care how the content came to be, if it was from unanswered questions from the Q&A session or not. I don’t care if it isn’t a designed way to release info, that’s exactly what it ended up being. It’s all super annoying for a ton of us.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Another pop-up vid today that i can't seem to find on the official forum.
    spoiler: whining.
    I did manage to find to vid using youtube search, wich isn't that much of a bother. Regret doing so because i listened to 20min of vid in the back ground without any usefull information. I might have missed it because i subconsiously tuned out when i heard Carrie and Nick introduce themselfes for the 3rd time in just as many vids. tl:dr: not a fan
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • urtil
    73 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    leef wrote: »
    Another pop-up vid today that i can't seem to find on the official forum.
    spoiler: whining.
    I did manage to find to vid using youtube search, wich isn't that much of a bother. Regret doing so because i listened to 20min of vid in the back ground without any usefull information. I might have missed it because i subconsiously tuned out when i heard Carrie and Nick introduce themselfes for the 3rd time in just as many vids. tl:dr: not a fan

yes, same experience here. Had to search for it which took a while. Then 20min video and the only worthwhile information for me was that they are thinking about 6 dot mods. Then you can actually see at the bottom of the video that tehre is another 5 min video that the guy did not put in there because he wanted to boost his channel subscribers. Got from that they don't like collusion and might or might not do something with the shards.

So, 25 minutes wasted. I don't intend to watch any of this anymore.

• xtended2l
    85 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Absolutely agree on this. Third party videos are redundant. Good old forum posts are great.
    The balance? Never heard of that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

That’s all great, but that’s a classic straw mans response. None of that addresses the complaint that is pretty widespread here. They released and promoted game information exclusively in video format. I really don’t care how the content came to be, if it was from unanswered questions from the Q&A session or not. I don’t care if it isn’t a designed way to release info, that’s exactly what it ended up being. It’s all super annoying for a ton of us.

I was simply explaining what is going on in a way to help ease the minds of those who are having issues with this. As it would be a huge deal I'd this was the start of a new trend vs something they did on the fly to help get additional information out there.

As a side note, please understand that after my initial comments I flagged this and passed it to the people who deal with such things.

Gripe all you want about it, but I am here trying to make good changes for everyone and just trying to make sure we all have accurate information, i.e. this is not a "new trend" that we are aware of and was just an isolated movement that the dev team saw fitting as it's much easier to say and answer questions verbally then it is to write out a response to some of the move complicated issues. They can also have a conversation with someone live which allows for clarity to be asked and answered on the spot.
  • I also hate those videos... They are not only time consuming, also as a non-english speaker i can read english fairly well (using a translator sometimes) but can't understand almost anything in a video :S
    So any info into a video means no info for me :S
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I agree with the sentiment here. In-game links to forum posts and "official" information are great. In-game links to 3rd party YouTube videos where we have to sit through a 20 minute video (if we are somewhere we can watch it) to catch 1 minute of the "promoted" information is a poor communication.

Please stop doing this.

It's inefficient, inconvenient and unprofessional.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I like the videos.

I don't think they covered much that wasn't already in the forums. I see it from their perspective where they are trying to reach a very large audience, not all of which come to the forum.

QOL suggestion, push the forum update and video to the inbox and stop doing popups. People can simply delete the video update.