Should I bother pushing for Thrawn 7*?

Prev1
OK, I have been prepping for the upcoming Thrawn event and I'm at a point where I'm unsure if I'll be able to pull off a 7* win. So I'm debating about cutting my loss now and switching back to farming gearing other people.

I've calculated it and I know I can get everyone to 7* before the event is done.

I will be able to Omega a couple of basic abilities (thinking Zeb and Ezra). The rest of the abilities are a mix. All unique abilities are lvl 5 or higher, still time to improve abilities, but probably not everything to lvl 7.

Everyone is gear 8 and I'll be able to gear 9 Chopper and either Ezra or Hera.

I'll probably be lvl 79 during the event, maybe 80 near the end.

Here's a swgoh.gg link to my team, pay no attention to the mods currently on them I'd switch out my arena mods, but they're not amazing (+60 speed is my highest kit). https://swgoh.gg/u/jayzen/squads/61295/

I'd love some opinions if people think I could push for it and maybe get the win, or if there's no hope and just be happy with a 6*.
Thanks

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Honestly level doesn't matter that much at that point, unless you had plans to zeta one of them.

And besides any other advice, I would say, dont let it be a waste of you have been focused on it, follow through and then even if you miss you will know how close you got, and where you should focus.

• Options
    My advice is thus: finish your Phoenix team then move on. If you push, but don't get Thrawn to seven stars this time, at least you tried (and will be prepared for him the next time he comes).

Now, as far as your preparation goes: if you're not leveling your uniques first in a Phoenix team your priorities aren't straight. Hold on to those omega abilities and push towards level 80--and save enough credits to level your Phoenix team to there, too--so that you can omega four of the five's unique abilities (everyone but Chopper). You're also going to want to level several of these other abilities; start with the uniques, then the basics, then the special attacks (including assists), and then the support abilities (BUP and Chopper's taunt near the top of that list).

If your best speed mods are on your arena team, you'll probably want to consider stealing them when the event starts (wait till after your pay out if you must).
  • caldera
    109 posts Member
    Options
    I did this with the Rey event in December. I got taken by surprise with the Vet Smugglers, wasn't anywhere close to ready. I spent all the time between then and when she re-appeared in March still working on Rey. I had to skip a Thrawn cycle, but I was more than ready for Rey when she came back around.

After that I immediately started working on Thrawn, and I'll be ready for him this time.

Unless you're a whale, you can't pile up legendary characters that quickly... instead of panic farming for the current one, free-farm for the next one.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Since there is a chance, you can make it, I would go all in.
  • Options
    Keep your focus on Phoenix team, it will benefit you not only for Thrawn event but also for Palp as well :)

It's not a bad team to have improved until reaching endgame.
    Name: Chris / Guild: Daft Plague (Casual/Progressive) / Title: Member /Recruitment Status: OPEN (PM me)
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    Options
    Chrisling wrote: »
    Keep your focus on Phoenix team, it will benefit you not only for Thrawn event but also for Palp as well :)

This.

And you will also 3 star clear all of LS9 hard with it.

Might as well get Thrawn at 7* if you can do it, you'll need those phoenix for the LS9 hard nodes any way.
  • Options
    Looking at your swgoh, I'm going to go ahead and say I think 7* is out of reach. Unless you're sitting on a treasure trove of credits, super mods, and ability materials (including omegas), you're just too far out. You'd need 2.5 mil just to 7* them, and then another 3 mil or so EACH to get them to 80. Then there's the gear issue, the mod issue, and the ability level issue. Keep working, but with a focus on being ready for 6*. He' still going to be awesome at 6*.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    7* Thrawn is a necessity in this game if you want to keep advancing. If you have a shot at getting him, then you would be cray cray not to go all in. Either way, Phoenix is a squad that you will be able to run both in HAAT and HSR so they are a long term asset so not a waste by any means to level and gear them.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Options
    Empiric1 wrote: »

This.

Might as well get Thrawn at 7* if you can do it, you'll need those phoenix for the LS9 hard nodes any way.

I'm still working on my Phoenix as well so I can't say with any authority, but I've heard that LS9 hard nodes are almost impossible to do with Phoenix until you start putting zetas on them. If that's true, that seems like a bit too much of a commitment to a team that doesn't need to be that far developed to get Thrawn. Especially if Thrawn is the main goal for getting Phoenix in the first place.

I'm a little bummed out that I won't have an opportunity to get a 7* Thrawn this time around (I'll be a few days short on Kanan shards), but my advice to the OP would be to keep promoting, gearing, and levelling them to the point where they can get you the 7* Thrawn even if it doesn't happen during this event run. Get the highest Thrawn possible and get them ready to get that last star down the road so that you can move on and stop worrying about them.
  • Options
    YKMisfit wrote: »

I'm still working on my Phoenix as well so I can't say with any authority, but I've heard that LS9 hard nodes are almost impossible to do with Phoenix until you start putting zetas on them. If that's true, that seems like a bit too much of a commitment to a team that doesn't need to be that far developed to get Thrawn. Especially if Thrawn is the main goal for getting Phoenix in the first place.

Eh, I 3-starred the entirety of the map within two battles/node with my G8, mostly level 80 Phoenix team (I forget if I upgraded Chopper to get his unique omega'd before I did or not). Just make sure you have some solid allies--even if it's just all the Wedge-leads from your arena shard that've friended you--and hit up the Borrow a Hero threads if you don't. CLS helps a lot for 9B (did it the first time with my guild leader's gold zCLS), and I'm sure GK will help too if you have to resort to the Borrow A Hero threads.
  • Options
    7* Phoenix will get you 7* Palpatine, which I'm expecting will come in May. So definitely keep pushing on them. If by chance you get both 7* Thrawn and 7* Palp, you're also already ready to get 7* R2 next time he comes around.
    And worst case scenario, you miss 7* Thrawn, but you get 7* Palp, and you're ready for 7* Thrawn next time. No reason not to keep farming.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Options
    Yeah, tier 9 light side hard nodes are all about your ally and how often you can get them involved. Phoenix allows Hera and Ezra to request assists, and with a good ally, that’s all it will take
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to push for it and update how it goes. I've got 4 million credits saved so I'll be able to get them to 7* no problem. Hopefully a Credit Heist will help with some leveling as well.

Next question, if I need to, who should I Gear to 9 Ezra or Hera? Ezra is obviously better elsewhere in the game, but Hera is essential to keep alive...
  • Options
    I'm no expert, as I have yet to try my luck at 7* Thrawn, but I put my G9 on Ezra.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Options
    I'd also go with Ezra; he's quite squishy at G8. If you can get another stungun in time for Hera, do her next.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    7* Thrawn is a necessity in this game if you want to keep advancing.

Helpful yes, necessity no. Mine is only 5*.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Yeah, I'll be happy with Thrawn at 6*, I know he'll still be good. But I could really use his help in Heroic Raids. :-)
  • Options
    can you get the chimaera?
    if that’s the case,go for Thrawn with all you got
    One of the best arena characters,one of the best characters for.raids,a great empire leader and the best capital ship
    so if you can get chimaera this time,try to get it this time, he is one of the best characters of the game in all areas
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    YKMisfit wrote: »
    Empiric1 wrote: »

This.

I'm a little bummed out that I won't have an opportunity to get a 7* Thrawn this time around (I'll be a few days short on Kanan shards), but my advice to the OP would be to keep promoting, gearing, and levelling them to the point where they can get you the 7* Thrawn even if it doesn't happen during this event run. Get the highest Thrawn possible and get them ready to get that last star down the road so that you can move on and stop worrying about them.

I 3 starred all of them at first try and a couple of attempts on the last one.

I borrowed a maxed CLS from a guildie, it's definitely doable and much better than farm a resistance team from scratch if you don't have one already ( i dont even have Finn unlocked so wasn't an option for me)

Edit: My team was G10 Ezra, g9 hera and chopper, kanan and zeb g8. All uniques omega'd. You will need this for Thrawn any way, I'm just saying it's a double whammy to clear all of LS9 straight away and start farming shoretrooper + tie reaper.
  • Options
    @Empiric1 interesting, I have a similar Phoenix squad (g10 ezra, rest g8, all uniques omega) and it was really demoralising unlocking 9 a few days ago and then getting crushed hard on 9A. I might have to hit up a maxed CLS!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    I won't be able to get The Chimaera this time since all my ship effort went into being able to farm Zeta's the minute it opened for me. That will be my next focus for ships and certainly be ready the next time it rolls around..

Yeah, good ally toons are always the way. :-)
  • Options
    @Empiric1 interesting, I have a similar Phoenix squad (g10 ezra, rest g8, all uniques omega) and it was really demoralising unlocking 9 a few days ago and then getting crushed hard on 9A. I might have to hit up a maxed CLS!

The reason why this thread exists. You might also be interested in Kenobi. I had some success a couple times just using arena allies' wedges.
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

9A is really hard because of IG88 AOE.

I actually thought the hardest was 9D and 9A , 9C was really easy and 9B was alright, not as hard as A or D imo. I think they probably do that to scare you into overgearing your toon, like IG88 oneshots everyone and you're like oh snap I need g12 now lol.

Edit: the first time I tried 9A I used a g8 phoenix team with no omegas, lvl 80 and no mods, did really well in first 2 stages and then you can imagine how the last stage went lol
  • Options
    Well, I've pushed about as far as I can go... closest I've gotten so far is down to Thrawn and one ST commander. I guess I'm at the keep playing a million times until you get lucky stage.

I managed to get;
    Chopper (S 196) and Hera (S 160) to Gear 10
    Ezra (S 180) to Gear 9
    Kanan (S 137) and Zeb (S 156) are Gear 8.

I've got Omega's on Zeb and Ezra's basics and an Omega on Kanan's unique. I just made lvl 80 and may be able to Omega Hera's unique before the event is done. Some special abilities are still not leveled high enough and that may be my downfall along with not having godly mods.

Wish me luck :-)
  • Options
    If you get enough omegas for another unique do either Ezra or Zeb's next; Hera's lead only requires 3 so it's a good way to get some extra turn-meter if you're running out of time.

Report back when/if you get him, m8.
  • Jayzen
    7 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I DID IT! Thanks to everyone who suggested I push for it. **** was it hard.

I got lucky with a Territory War win and refreshed the Omega Battle and was able to Omega Ezra's Unique as well as Hera's. I also found after watching some YouTube vids of other people's wins that I just wasn't killing guys quick enough so I really focused on pushing my offence mods more.

I'll be leaving my squad alone for a while if anyone wants to see them for reference.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/jayzen/squads/61295/
  • Options
    Congratulations, Jayzen!
  • Options
    I might try today since it is the last day of the event. When it first came out the other day I auto 6 star but got hammered at 7 star(mostly do to the mods and speed). Ezra is the only one at gear 9 the others all 8 but every omega is there. If I adjust mods should be able to handle the speed and potency needed. As FTP player just do not want to farm for gear for Phoenix as trying to focus on others like CLS.

My question is there a major difference between 6 & 7 star on Thrawn?
  • Options
    One Main difference is he is valuable in heroic raids.
  • Options
    Zuckuss12 wrote: »
    One Main difference is he is valuable in heroic raids.

I am currently in a throw together guild that is not doing heroic yet.