A few questions

Hi all, still quite new to this game and I was hoping some of you good folk would be kind enough to offer some advice. Here's my account: https://swgoh.gg/u/poodletron/collection/

My main goal is get Thrawn and Chimera ready. I obviously won't be done in time for this event so I guess I've got another 3 months to finish up Phoenix and my rebel fleet. I'm hoping I can Phoenix to a solid enough level for 7* palp as I believe that's due next month and I'm working on my Scoundrels on the side. What I'm a little lost on is where else I should be focusing.

Should I be putting resources into building other teams for mod challenges? Jedi seems to be the easiest one to go for first and would give me a team for Yoda.

Should I be worrying about teams for TB/TW? If so; where to go first?

I was planning on building an Empire team next to go for R2 then onto CLS. Would I perhaps be better off just going for FO & BB-8 first? Then Resistance for JTR?

In short; out of all the directions the game is trying to pull me which will be the most efficient?

Replies

• Hello there. Great start you got off, just by glancing I can tell you will be able to get a 5 star thrawn, maaybe 6 star. Do not think he wont be viable just because he is not maxed. I use him in my arena and I place top 10 for the last month as f2p.
    Do not focus on a team for mod challenges. HP mods will carry you a long way, speed secondaries and speed arrows are all that matter right now. In time you will passively unlock more teams for arena mods, which have some great achievements tied to them. If you have a good scoundrel team you might want to deviate to crit change mods which I think are a lot better than HP mods and do not require a huge investment, but that is up to you.
    Noticeable changes in your TB performance will be at a much later stage, when you are 2 mill and up. Do what you can, especially special missions if you are able. Those count a lot since even smaller players can do them and they provide currency for the big boyz that get you that sweet Hrancor and HAAT. As for TW, quality over quantity. Meaning it will take even longer than TB to have good established teams. Make sure you put a defensive phoenix squad and you are good, but do not slack if you can do something else (like with ships, you can probably take out a fleet and make space for your guild mates to clean it up)
    Building phoenix into empire is a meta way of doing things, and a good way. I did it, I am very satisfied. I deviated from that path for KRU and his silencer ship which are a sure way to get top 5 (I am finishing top 2 every day, only fighting another whale, mostly thanks to KRU which is my MVP ship). R2 is also a resistance toon, and one of the most versatile toons in the game, so well worth investing into him.
    You already unlocked fleets and I think you should focus primarily on that for now. Fleets are the poor man's top 10 arena opportunity, since whaling here is very limited. They are a great crystal source, the best zeta source, and also give you access to heroes like Chirrut, Vader etc. I went with phoenixes and developed my fleet around biggs/silencer. Now building up my TIEs and I will retire my phoenixes after the Thrawn event in favor of TIEs.
    So you either have a option of going for fleet, pure empire for R2 and FO for bb8 transitioning into CLS and JTR, or a mix of the 2. I've had huge success following just some basic advice such as written here, so if you have any more specific questions just ask and I'll get around to them. Good luck!
  • poodletron wrote: »
    Hi all, still quite new to this game and I was hoping some of you good folk would be kind enough to offer some advice. Here's my account: https://swgoh.gg/u/poodletron/collection/

My main goal is get Thrawn and Chimera ready. I obviously won't be done in time for this event so I guess I've got another 3 months to finish up Phoenix and my rebel fleet. I'm hoping I can Phoenix to a solid enough level for 7* palp as I believe that's due next month and I'm working on my Scoundrels on the side. What I'm a little lost on is where else I should be focusing.

Should I be putting resources into building other teams for mod challenges? Jedi seems to be the easiest one to go for first and would give me a team for Yoda.

Should I be worrying about teams for TB/TW? If so; where to go first?

I was planning on building an Empire team next to go for R2 then onto CLS. Would I perhaps be better off just going for FO & BB-8 first? Then Resistance for JTR?

In short; out of all the directions the game is trying to pull me which will be the most efficient?

NUMBER ONE piece of advice:
    If thrawn and chimera are your number one goals, I strongly suggest you get ready for them ASAP. You stated that you won’t be ready for this event so you have 3 months to prepare - don’t asume that!
    Get that team ready as your top priority before moving on to other goals.

In fact, that’s the best advice I can offer: pick a goal and build the full team you need for it before moving on to the next.

Also your thinking about getting a jedi team for mod challenges/Yoda unlock is on the right track...if andactionncan be used for multiple uses, they are a good starting point. Except jedi are not very powerful in this game so they might not be your best focal point lol

And as above, I wouldn’t worry about building specific tw/Tb teams at this point. That will come naturally as you build your other teams around your priorities until you have a pretty decent roster, at which point you can start to think about a few specific Tb/tw teams.
  • Thanks for the replies! Glad to hear I'm thinking on the right track :)

My Scoundrels are pretty weak and really a backburner right now, at least T1 of Credit Heist gets me more creds than nothing. I will have Greedo unlocked from this months login rewards, STH was most of the way to unlock from last months login rewards so I diverted from Kanan for a couple of days to unlock him, Chewie is a starting character and Dengar is on slow farm from the guild store. I was planning on at least unlocking Boba when Chopper's done with Cantina tokens as I can use Boba in fleet as well. I guess I'll leave the jedi for when I have less urgent needs :)

Finishing Zeb has allowed me to use my GW tokens for working on Biggs and his ship and I've been using fleet arena tokens for Phoenix ships. I was planning on moving onto Wedge and Bistan (and their ships co-pilot etc.) when my Hera farm is done so I can keep pushing for the Chimera.

I was a little concerned that blindly pursuing this goal would make me miss some other opportunities along the way. Which does lead me to one more question; would it be worth building a decent base of light and dark fighters for the fleet arena over focusing on Rebels for chimera? I guess what I mean is should I be prioritizing the fighters over the capitol ship?
  • kello_511 wrote: »

If thrawn and chimera are your number one goals, I strongly suggest you get ready for them ASAP. You stated that you won’t be ready for this event so you have 3 months to prepare - don’t asume that!

Replying specifically to the bold bit; I assumed these events were on a schedule and it's been 3 months since last time so assumed it would be the same again. I'm guessing I'm actually very wrong about that; are these purely random or on a loose rotating schedule?
  • LaksonVell wrote: »
    Building phoenix into empire is a meta way of doing things, and a good way. I did it, I am very satisfied. I deviated from that path for KRU and his silencer ship which are a sure way to get top 5 (I am finishing top 2 every day, only fighting another whale, mostly thanks to KRU which is my MVP ship). ...
    KRU ship is an easy farm, but far from a guaranteed win. I've been sitting top 5 without it in the lineup, and the fact that everyone else has one doesn't keep me from beating them at payout.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I think there's like one or maybe two people using it at the top of my shard. Most everyone uses TF FOTF Vader Biggs Reaper.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    poodletron wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »

Replying specifically to the bold bit; I assumed these events were on a schedule and it's been 3 months since last time so assumed it would be the same again. I'm guessing I'm actually very wrong about that; are these purely random or on a loose rotating schedule?

Just a couple of weeks ago the forums were full of complainers who didn’t get jtr because she came back sooner than they expected based on a similar assumption as you are making (i.e. 3 months between last events is a predictor of the future).
    The events can return at any time so you are best to be ready for it before anything else. Splitting or diverting your focus is a bad idea in this game!
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    I will echo what everyone else said, never assume a set schedule. Focus on what YOU want to do and what is FUN for you. That is my piece of advice. This is a game. You want to have fun. Focus on what makes stuff fun for you and finish one thing at a time.

If you want Thrawn, focus on your Phoenix team. I managed the event with G8 Phoenix but I had god mods and it was extremely and brutally difficult. Thrawn is an excellent toon and Phoenix is useful even as a veteran I use them to take down zKRU teams in TW.

Like others said, you don't need to dedicate a team to mod challenges but you should know by now that speed rules this game and I don't think that will change anytime soon. If you like resistance, the speed mod sets are of course amazing as are resistance toons.

Thanks for the replies! Glad to hear I'm thinking on the right track :)

My Scoundrels are pretty weak and really a backburner right now, at least T1 of Credit Heist gets me more creds than nothing. I will have Greedo unlocked from this months login rewards, STH was most of the way to unlock from last months login rewards so I diverted from Kanan for a couple of days to unlock him, Chewie is a starting character and Dengar is on slow farm from the guild store. I was planning on at least unlocking Boba when Chopper's done with Cantina tokens as I can use Boba in fleet as well. I guess I'll leave the jedi for when I have less urgent needs :)

Finishing Zeb has allowed me to use my GW tokens for working on Biggs and his ship and I've been using fleet arena tokens for Phoenix ships. I was planning on moving onto Wedge and Bistan (and their ships co-pilot etc.) when my Hera farm is done so I can keep pushing for the Chimera.

I was a little concerned that blindly pursuing this goal would make me miss some other opportunities along the way. Which does lead me to one more question; would it be worth building a decent base of light and dark fighters for the fleet arena over focusing on Rebels for chimera? I guess what I mean is should I be prioritizing the fighters over the capitol ship?

Thrawn's ship is on a different level compared to the other capital ships, so it is worthwhile to make it a priority over all other ships, especially considering that you're still building. If you want to do well in the fleet arena, then you will need to make sure that you pilots are maxxed, not just their ships. Vader and Biggs are rather important, but outside of those two I would try to match up your powerful characters with their ships. Having a few powerful ships will do far more good for you than having a roster full of mediocre ships.
  • Starting with Phoenix with Thrawn in mind is a very good plan, and early game is the best time to do it.

However, I would focus on you DS ships (and Biggs) before worrying about Ghost/Phantom and unlocking Chimaera. The reason is, that while Thrawn's ship is definitely the best capital ship in the game, you want to finish high in fleet arena right away, and doing so with the rebel ships you'll need for Chimaera might not be the easiest way to do that.

That's not to say you can't go with Ackbar and rebels in the fleet arena, but I certainly don't see any of those in my shard.
  • I've got 2 ackbars in my top 10:

One has JC/Silencer/Poe/Vader Tie/Slave One
    Other has Ghost/Biggs/Phantom II/Silencer/Wedge

So you can run Rebels I suppose, but while it will help set you up for Chimera when it comes back, it's going to leave you unable to do zeta challenges when they open at 82.
  • YKMisfit wrote: »

That's not to say you can't go with Ackbar and rebels in the fleet arena, but I certainly don't see any of those in my shard.

I'll say it for you. You can't compete if you go with Ackbar's capital ship in the arena. Anyone with somewhat decent teams with Thrawn's ship will win easily. Mace's ship is a far better alternative for the arena if you can't get Thrawn's right away. At least with Mace's ship you can break the top 100. I can't even tell you the last time that I've seen an Ackbar capital ship in my fleet arena shard. Either way, if you can manage to get Thrawn's ship its a game changer both short and long term for your fleet arena team.
  • Alright 2 things to add:
    1. Having some experience in the game I can spot old players from new just by the way they look as t things. TIE is a ok adition for a old player that has a TIE reaver but it is a incredible adition to a new player. And TIE is not a defensive ship, it is mainly for controlling the flow of battle on offense. Ergo, it wont guarantee you a save from dropping but you will be able to beat fleets a lot stronger than yourself. Ackbar with TIE is the ultimate offense, a guy with that and a 180k fleet is beating a 260k whale in my shard.
    2. From day 1 I focused on phoenix ships. They were my main investment and I got to rank 1 no problem. So you dont have to choose between good LS side and phoenixes, you can have both.
    3. If you focus yourself on chimera properly, and you still aren't ready the next time it comes, chances are nobody else is. So dont stress yourself about falling out for that reason.
    4. Guess that was 3 things.
  • Trystan_Spyder
    1300 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Just curious @LaksonVell , not trying to disagree, but how is Ackbar more offensive than Tarkin? Running Executrix I was able to best an Ackbar fleet with 30k more GP than me. Thank you TIE.

Totally agree on Chimera - I was sweating that I wasn't going to get it this time around, but then looked at my 10 top and realized none of them are either.

The big issue with Phoenix is it's 6 characters (including bloody Sabine) for 2 ships. They were my best two ships initially, and while they still have the highest GP, they've been relegated to reinforcement status, and will likely soon be phased out completely.
    a 260k whale in my shard.

/cry
    Can I come play in your shard? :smile: I haven't seen anyone under 370k in a LONG time.

TIE Reaper is useful, but Vader's ship being able to do away with taunt and getting Biggs to taunt makes a BIG difference. Plus, Vader is useful in other aspects as a character, so you don't have to waste tons of time/effort building up a ship and characterS that would take forever to get to the same level.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Just curious @LaksonVell , not trying to disagree, but how is Ackbar more offensive than Tarkin?

It's not. He's clearly not in a mature shard if a whale is only 260k.
  • Just curious @LaksonVell , not trying to disagree, but how is Ackbar more offensive than Tarkin? Running Executrix I was able to best an Ackbar fleet with 30k more GP than me. Thank you TIE.

Totally agree on Chimera - I was sweating that I wasn't going to get it this time around, but then looked at my 10 top and realized none of them are either.

The big issue with Phoenix is it's 6 characters (including bloody Sabine) for 2 ships. They were my best two ships initially, and while they still have the highest GP, they've been relegated to reinforcement status, and will likely soon be phased out completely.

It's offensive, meaning you VS the AI. I would say my shard is mid game now, with solid fleets being formed but not complete.
    In midgame Ackbar is king over Tarkin. Cry wolf (Imperial assault being the wolf) all you want, as long as ackbar keeps calling assists on silencer he will do incredible damage (every crit is amplified 25% and more, and TIE gets some great shields to boot) and you can call assists with 2 ackbar abilities, ghost, biggs, consular etc... I am well aware that this is not a popular strategy in endgame, but do not assume that things are the same in my shard/his shard/endgame shard. and AI is not going to say "hey that ackbar is beating us with silencer lets take it down first" and instead he will just keep eating glue. Same the other way around when ackbar is just following his barrage/dispell/reinforce all on random targets and using barrage even if he has 0 buffed fighters.
    TVF wrote: »
    Just curious @LaksonVell , not trying to disagree, but how is Ackbar more offensive than Tarkin?

Does my game have any less value than yours just because it started later? It's a fact that a guy from my shard finishes top 3 consistently every day with ackbar lead. And he is by far the lowest GP in the top 10, maybe even top 20. Just because it's not written in the sacred texts that we all have to run Thrawn/TIEs from day 1 or quit fleet does not make it so. There are other strategies that only work in lower levels. And it's these strategies our friends needs right now.
  • Naminef wrote: »
    LaksonVell wrote: »
    a 260k whale in my shard.

/cry
    Can I come play in your shard? :smile: I haven't seen anyone under 370k in a LONG time.

TIE Reaper is useful, but Vader's ship being able to do away with taunt and getting Biggs to taunt makes a BIG difference. Plus, Vader is useful in other aspects as a character, so you don't have to waste tons of time/effort building up a ship and characterS that would take forever to get to the same level.

You are more than welcome :smile: it was about 2 weeks ago that my shard was the most diverse, when people started bringing in mill falcons. Just when you took out biggs and getting ready to go for a big hitter and it's a falcon and you are all "oook ok lets change back to this buff monster". Right now in top 10 I have all 3 leads, Ashoka 7 stars, consulars, strange enough only 1 decent umbaran, even CLONE SERGEANT. I do not see any ships not in use save for the U-wings. It was very fun not knowing what reinforce you might get.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    LaksonVell wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Does my game have any less value than yours just because it started later? It's a fact that a guy from my shard finishes top 3 consistently every day with ackbar lead. And he is by far the lowest GP in the top 10, maybe even top 20. Just because it's not written in the sacred texts that we all have to run Thrawn/TIEs from day 1 or quit fleet does not make it so. There are other strategies that only work in lower levels. And it's these strategies our friends needs right now.

Yes, strategies that work at lower levels. Exactly my point.

Ackbar is fine but is far less viable than Tarkin as your shard matures (never mind Thrawn), so saying Ackbar is more offensive than Tarkin doesn't make much sense.

It's offensive, meaning you VS the AI. I would say my shard is mid game now, with solid fleets being formed but not complete.
    In midgame Ackbar is king over Tarkin. Cry wolf (Imperial assault being the wolf) all you want, as long as ackbar keeps calling assists on silencer he will do incredible damage (every crit is amplified 25% and more, and TIE gets some great shields to boot) and you can call assists with 2 ackbar abilities, ghost, biggs, consular etc... I am well aware that this is not a popular strategy in endgame, but do not assume that things are the same in my shard/his shard/endgame shard. and AI is not going to say "hey that ackbar is beating us with silencer lets take it down first" and instead he will just keep eating glue. Same the other way around when ackbar is just following his barrage/dispell/reinforce all on random targets and using barrage even if he has 0 buffed fighters.

On offense maybe? Then again when you're controlling any capital can be good.

Silencer is always the fist ship I kill, excepting the command shuttle if it's around. Ackbar can't call a dead ship. The AI does wierd things, but I will actively pursue Ackbar over Windu and especially over fellow Tarkins. Though with a strong TIE and the fastest Executrix I'm not too worried about getting iWinned.

• I can’t really give you a lot of advice, because this game is extraordinarily complicated for new players. I can give you two general comments though, both of which aren’t reliable pieces of advice lol:

Don’t take the game too seriously. Try to play teams that you can be reasonably successful with. I’ve been playing the game for awhile and have a fairly robust roster, but I run a team composed of Commander Luke Skywalker, General Kenobi, Kylo Unmasked, Thrawn, and Hermit Yoda. It’s a struggle to hold top 50 with the team on defense with the current teams in arena, but I use it because I love Kylo Unmasked and Hermit Yoda, and the team is mixture of a common held team composition that allows me to enjoy arena and have an okay reward. I’m now farming characters I like to play, rather than characters for more teams that will only help me not be able to keep up with whales regardless of what I do (Lol). That’s something you’ll have to access and decide though. Are you willing to spend a lot of money on this game? If not, you’ll most likely never be top 10 at an advanced level, you’ll always get legendary characters the 2nd or 3rd time around, and you’ll always be left behind in new events.

The second point evolves from the first; don’t be scared to make gambles. Iconic characters get reworks because reworks are demanded of them. I love Anakin, Grievous, and Kylo Ren. When Kylo (normal) got his rework, he was one of the best and most used characters. I had already farmed and geared him up. That gamble paid off, and in a very fun and rewarding way. I love Anakin and Jedi, we know that Jedi Rey and Jedi Luke will come out at some point in the future, and probably a Jedi rework with them. Since I’ve geared, modded and leveled my favorite Jedi, I will be ready for that rework and in a great place when it happens.

In short, have fun. You have to remember that this is a Star Wars game. We’re all here because we LOVE Star Wars. Why wouldn’t you play the game the way that will allow you to enjoy it most?
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I've unlocked Thrawn at 5 stars and I'll definitely be ready for 7 stars next time. What level does the Tarkin zeta challenge unlock at? I'm wondering if it's worth getting ready for that and then turning my attention back to my rebel fleet for chimera; seen some conflicting advice on this one.
  • kello_511 wrote: »

Very wise words.

Something I've figured out in the last few months - if you want a character then farm to get them absolutely regardless of when you think the event is coming. Put it from your mind. Farm like it's a few days away.

Get everything in place so when the event drops, fingers-crossed, you should be 100% ready for it. No stress, no panic-farming.

Those who chase events are destined to fail- with all the demoralisation and unhappiness that brings.

If it comes early, so be it - you might miss it that time. But rest assured, you'll get it next time. The alternative is switching farms every time you think an event is on the horizon, more often than not missing it, switching to a new farm...rinse and repeat. It's horrible. And you get nowhere.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've unlocked Thrawn at 5 stars and I'll definitely be ready for 7 stars next time. What level does the Tarkin zeta challenge unlock at? I'm wondering if it's worth getting ready for that and then turning my attention back to my rebel fleet for chimera; seen some conflicting advice on this one.

78. It's the last tier of the ship ability challenge. Need 8 5* ships to enter.
  • Thanks all. Phoenix are still my priority until all omega'd and G9 (at least) but my second priority is now to focus on being ready for the Tarkin Zeta challenge. When that's done I can re-**** where I'm at :)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've unlocked Thrawn at 5 stars and I'll definitely be ready for 7 stars next time. What level does the Tarkin zeta challenge unlock at? I'm wondering if it's worth getting ready for that and then turning my attention back to my rebel fleet for chimera; seen some conflicting advice on this one.

78. It's the last tier of the ship ability challenge. Need 8 5* ships to enter.

To clarify on this: you need Tarkin at 5* to enter this challenge, and to get Tarkin to 5*, you need 5 5* DS ships (a 6th for reinforcement helps). If you don't have your DS ships built up very far, it will take some time to get there.

Also, Thrawn was on a 2-month cycle up until the Sith raid. I doubt events will come more frequently than two months, and there's no way I'm going to have all my Rebel ships ready in May, but they're my sole focus until June. If it comes back in June, I'm ready. If it doesn't, I'm still ready, and I can move onto the next thing.

You might have to decide if zeta mats or Chimaera is more important to you; that's a lot to do in 2 months. Here's a couple of tools that can help you figure out ship farm times:
    http://www.swgoh.life/ships.html
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19cZAkx9ukzrMrjmG1kzdaYcYFnYrE45hDs5p3yWch5o/edit#gid=1267500422