Mod Management Decision and more.

So after watching the game changer videos, a lot was talked about and asked but not much answered. There was a lot of “we can’t answer that at this time” or, “we can’t speak to that right now”. With answers like that it leaves a lot of open ended discussion which is nice, but giving us a ball park would have been nice.
My glaring take away though is the decision on mod management. On the interview with HalfFace01, the devs said that mod management would come with a massive update, probably with the release of 6dot mods. I think that’s a terrible decision. The fix is already in the game. Take the blueprint for pre saved teams and apply it to mod sets. Waiting for a massive update like that is only going to upset players as the requirements for all these game mods requires massive shuffling of mods between characters and is a huge time and resource sink.

Replies

• Revi
    573 posts Member
    Agree, they should release management separate to 6 dot... 6 dot shouldn't be anywhere near being released yet.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    they said it in the vid, mods aren't meant to be shuffled. While that statement rubbed me the wrong way.for various reasons, i'm actually using mods the way they invisioned they would be used. Not switching/shuffling mods makes playing this game a whole lot less annoying. I can advice everyone to do the same.
    That said, the sooner mod management is improved the better. If that means we get 6* mods, so be it. Prosponing the enevitable will just result in farming more soon to be less usefull/useless mods in the meantime.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • The problem they have with your copy and paste idea is that they have made so it costs credits to remove mods and reassign them. I assume that is the major obstacle as it probably involves some difficult coding to apply that type of mod management and instead requires something completely new
  • leef wrote: »
    they said it in the vid, mods aren't meant to be shuffled. While that statement rubbed me the wrong way.for various reasons, i'm actually using mods the way they invisioned they would be used. Not switching/shuffling mods makes playing this game a whole lot less annoying. I can advice everyone to do the same.
    That said, the sooner mod management is improved the better. If that means we get 6* mods, so be it. Prosponing the enevitable will just result in farming more soon to be less usefull/useless mods in the meantime.

Yes but they said that the majority of what they intend never happens because the player base does it a different way. Their intention may have been to not have mods swapped around, but given their insanely high cost to purchase and upgrade, switching is necessary with all the different team compositions needed for different areas of the game. Not to mention those insanely high costs being worth it or not are RNG dependent. Sure a crit triangle with a crit damage bonus is great but you don’t spend 3.98 million credits/ 1.93 million ship material just for that. You do it for the speed secondary and hope it rolls past its base of 4. Well to see if that happens you need to spend another 200k credits and hope it rolls at least 2/4 times.
    That being said they need to stop being stubborn. Mods are what they are now. They can implement an original idea later with ship hardware (soon TM).
  • DarthShax wrote: »
    The problem they have with your copy and paste idea is that they have made so it costs credits to remove mods and reassign them. I assume that is the major obstacle as it probably involves some difficult coding to apply that type of mod management and instead requires something completely new

Then perhaps it’s time for those trivial costs to end. There’s no need for people to spend 15k credits a toon in order to reassign mods.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »

This.

I do move mods but only as a last resort.

I understand the thinking that we "can see" how they could implement mod managment, but to say the fix is already in the game is just not true. They have to code things, test them and overall make sure they make sense and can be used with some level of intuition. This is no easy task, as any programmer can tell you.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

Yes but they said that the majority of what they intend never happens because the player base does it a different way. Their intention may have been to not have mods swapped around, but given their insanely high cost to purchase and upgrade, switching is necessary with all the different team compositions needed for different areas of the game. Not to mention those insanely high costs being worth it or not are RNG dependent. Sure a crit triangle with a crit damage bonus is great but you don’t spend 3.98 million credits/ 1.93 million ship material just for that. You do it for the speed secondary and hope it rolls past its base of 4. Well to see if that happens you need to spend another 200k credits and hope it rolls at least 2/4 times.
    That being said they need to stop being stubborn. Mods are what they are now. They can implement an original idea later with ship hardware (soon TM).

stubborn how exactly? They already made aquiring mods easier twice. I expect aquiring 6* mods is going to be a whole lot more difficult again, and probably more expensive aswell.
    Why they haven't improved modmanagement yet is anyone's guess, my guess is not enough ROI and the excuse about mods not meant being shuffled is only partially true. People farming additional mods wasn't hurting ea/cg either. Cheaper refreshes were only "temporary" untill they realised the average crystals spending went up after the change. I'm willing to wager that alot of players refreshed their cantina energy an additional time just to get enough mods to not have the need to shuffle/swap that much anymore. I know i did it for that reason (and obviously for the off chance of actually getting an arena worthy mod.) I "wasted" a fudge ton of energy and credits on mods, but given the circumstances (horrible mod management) i regret nothing. Those extra toons i could have farmed and brought to lvl85 would have been nice, but not having to swap mods and having above average mods in arena is alot nicer (imo).
    moral of the story is that i think ea/cg is always looking to balance making money with making the game enjoyable. It's a freemium game, so the money has to come from somewhere. I find it best to just addapt and make the best of the current situation since ea/cg is unlikely to give up a revenue stream just to please the players. i'm rambling, haha.
  • Kyno wrote: »

This.

I do move mods but only as a last resort.

I understand the thinking that we "can see" how they could implement mod managment, but to say the fix is already in the game is just not true. They have to code things, test them and overall make sure they make sense and can be used with some level of intuition. This is no easy task, as any programmer can tell you.

Nobody is saying the coding is easy but the structure of mod management (IE what it looks like in game) is already there. Programming is never easy but neither is the concept of how it should look in game.
  • leef wrote: »

stubborn how exactly? They already made aquiring mods easier twice. I expect aquiring 6* mods is going to be a whole lot more difficult again, and probably more expensive aswell.
    Why they haven't improved modmanagement yet is anyone's guess, my guess is not enough ROI and the excuse about mods not meant being shuffled is only partially true. People farming additional mods wasn't hurting ea/cg either. Cheaper refreshes were only "temporary" untill they realised the average crystals spending went up after the change. I'm willing to wager that alot of players refreshed their cantina energy an additional time just to get enough mods to not have the need to shuffle/swap that much anymore. I know i did it for that reason (and obviously for the off chance of actually getting an arena worthy mod.) I "wasted" a fudge ton of energy and credits on mods, but given the circumstances (horrible mod management) i regret nothing. Those extra toons i could have farmed and brought to lvl85 would have been nice, but not having to swap mods and having above average mods in arena is alot nicer (imo).
    moral of the story is that i think ea/cg is always looking to balance making money with making the game enjoyable. It's a freemium game, so the money has to come from somewhere. I find it best to just addapt and make the best of the current situation since ea/cg is unlikely to give up a revenue stream just to please the players. i'm rambling, haha.

But ask yourself, how many people actually still farm mods with cantina energy anymore through challenges or mod nodes? That’s why a separate energy source was talked about but they downplayed the idea because it doesn’t fit their model.
    Their stubbornness in my mind is like them pouting and stamping their feet because their intention wasn’t exercised in game. But here’s the thing, mods have been a game changing feature because it didn’t go their way. They even said that their original ideas may not have been the best ones and luckily we (the players) found a better one.
    And the release of the 6 dot mods demands a mod management system. If those are at a premium and will be insanely difficult or expensive to get, you’re going to want to move them around to utilize as best as you can. Having to find, sort, apply, resort, re apply is going to get old. Having mod sets that can be changed between different characters without that hassle will make players happier. Happier players means more trust in the team. More trust in the team means more revenue.
    I get that the game is freemium. I’ve spent a few hundred on the game myself since it launched. Am I proud of it? Actually no. My investment has not netted a proper return which is why I selectively spend and that’s very very rare when I do nowadays with my gift cards. They go between here, marvel strike force and Duel Links. Duel links has actually been winning out more and more lately.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    But ask yourself, how many people actually still farm mods with cantina energy anymore through challenges or mod nodes? That’s why a separate energy source was talked about but they downplayed the idea because it doesn’t fit their model.
    Their stubbornness in my mind is like them pouting and stamping their feet because their intention wasn’t exercised in game. But here’s the thing, mods have been a game changing feature because it didn’t go their way. They even said that their original ideas may not have been the best ones and luckily we (the players) found a better one.
    And the release of the 6 dot mods demands a mod management system. If those are at a premium and will be insanely difficult or expensive to get, you’re going to want to move them around to utilize as best as you can. Having to find, sort, apply, resort, re apply is going to get old. Having mod sets that can be changed between different characters without that hassle will make players happier. Happier players means more trust in the team. More trust in the team means more revenue.
    I get that the game is freemium. I’ve spent a few hundred on the game myself since it launched. Am I proud of it? Actually no. My investment has not netted a proper return which is why I selectively spend and that’s very very rare when I do nowadays with my gift cards. They go between here, marvel strike force and Duel Links. Duel links has actually been winning out more and more lately.

separate energy for mods is just a bad idea. I like that i hate having to chose between mods or shards. If that choice is taken away, there's nothing to be gained from doing things differently than others since there's no way to do things differently than others.
    Obviously it's also a source of revenue for the devs, but trust me when i say that if the devs gave us everything we asked for, the game would totally suck. Not everything that brings in revenue is bad for the players and/or the game, most of those things actually make the game interresting.
    This seems very counterintuative, but it's more fun to have too few of something than having too many of something. For example. it's awesome when you get 3 zeta's on challenge day, but no one even notices when they get max blue mats. Strangely enough (not that strange obviously) people whine about the poor zeta droprate all the time, but never about the blue mat drop rate. Same goes for the droid heist vs credit heist. Credit heist is one of the most anticipated events ingame, where as no one gives a flying fudge about the droid heist.
    As for mod management, i believe it made ea/cg more money by being horrible than it would have made them if it was awesome. Happy players aren't necessarily spending players. I do hope they implement it soon though, but i doubt it will result in additional revenue.