Ships update?

Prev134
When I opened the game the other day there was something that flashed on the screen about new content for ships and a blog or something. I accidentally closed it before I could figure out what it was.

Is there a link to the new ship stuff coming?

Thanks
I 'd love to be a Jedi... But I sure as hell would use the dark side too...

Replies

• Options
    They basically just said it was coming, nothing very specific yet.
  • Options
    It was just a video from a YouTuber that interviewed CG developers, vaguely describing we will be getting a ship overhaul along with a ship table very soon. Didn’t miss much.
  • Options
    Ok. Thank's guys. Been waiting a long time for a ships overhaul.
  • Options
    If we're getting a bunch of new ships, I hope they'll add the Squad Select feature like what we have for our Toons.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Options
    I really hope we get a ton of new ship content. Game has gotten really boring. Its just a daily grind for me. 2.7GP- i've paid my fair share- need something to spark the fire again.
  • Options
    Hopefully the ship improvements aren’t as awesome as the STR improvements
  • Options
    In August they said ...
  • Swordd
    161 posts Member
    Options
    I hope they change ships very little. Easiest way to get 400 crystals each day. Last thing I need is for this game mode to get fun so that more folks get competitive.
  • Options
    Swordd wrote: »
    I hope they change ships very little. Easiest way to get 400 crystals each day. Last thing I need is for this game mode to get fun so that more folks get competitive.

Seriously?
  • Swordd
    161 posts Member
    Options

Seriously?

Yes. There is plenty of content without ships. I spend about 6 minutes a day to get 400 crystals. I don't need ships to be engaging and time consuming. There is plenty to do as is, and the easy crystals are awesome.
  • Options

Seriously?

Yes. There is plenty of content without ships. I spend about 6 minutes a day to get 400 crystals. I don't need ships to be engaging and time consuming. There is plenty to do as is, and the easy crystals are awesome.

I get top 5 every day too but it isn't fun and there should be other options for people to have fun in this game rather than just arena. Ships is also too rng dependant and everyone can beat anyone because everyone has maxed out their ships in older shards.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Hopefully the ship improvements aren’t as awesome as the STR improvements

Oh no, they will be as awesome as T3 Thrawn mythic.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    Fleet arena is a mess. Totally RNG dependent with unpredictable results from wildly mismatched teams. They need to activate the ship mod feature (astromech droids or whatever) that’s sitting there waiting to be switched on. It gets old when you repeatedly lose to a team with identical ships but much less power just because you can’t land target lock or dodge but they magically can.

There is no strategy to fleet arena, just coin flipping. That’s not fun. At all.
  • Options
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    Fleet arena is a mess. Totally RNG dependent with unpredictable results from wildly mismatched teams. They need to activate the ship mod feature (astromech droids or whatever) that’s sitting there waiting to be switched on. It gets old when you repeatedly lose to a team with identical ships but much less power just because you can’t land target lock or dodge but they magically can.

There is no strategy to fleet arena, just coin flipping. That’s not fun. At all.

Agreed. I thought we were supposed to get a Separtist cap ship? Otherwise why the heck are there THREE nearly identical useless Genosian ships? It's just disappointing.
    I could get Number 1 if I wanted to. I just don't want to do 5+ battles to get back to first place. So I hover in the low teens and occasionally dip under 10. My shard is extremely competitive. I had first place for over a year with ZERO crystals. The late late crystal payout really put me off. Otherwise i'd have an additional 140k of crystals at my disposal... that would have been nice.

First Order needs a cap ship. Separtists need a cap ship.

Id take new ships over broken mechanics any day. At least it would be something to look forward to.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options

Seriously?

I get top 5 every day too but it isn't fun and there should be other options for people to have fun in this game rather than just arena. Ships is also too rng dependant and everyone can beat anyone because everyone has maxed out their ships in older shards.

Yep, this. And this is why it's bad for PvP content to go stale for long periods of time. They've reworked heroes constantly, but only Executrix was ever reworked, and they've only released 1 cap ship and a handful of new ships over a year and a half. There is so little diffentiation that plummeling in rank is a really serious problem, and on offense winning 5 in a row against nearly exactly similar fleets can be tough to pull off due to fickle rng.
    Once you've maxed out our fleet there's no way to improve further.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options

Seriously?

I used to like ships, but not anymore because everyone runs the same fleet, and how RNG dependent it is with so much reliance on crits and target locks.
  • Options

I agree it's too rng, there are a few where I'm nearly 100k more gp than them but rng always screws me so I just avoid them (we basically run the same fleet so no idea why rng consistently hates me).

That said I don't want the astromech feature added if it just adds another speed meta dependent on another rng. It's not really fun loosing in the arena just because they had better mod rng than you ( I've also beaten teams that out geared me purely because my team took 2-3 turns to their 1). If they make the feature offer different strategies rather than rng dependent improvements it could be fun though. Porting the current mod rng meta to ships though will just make fleet arena rng worse.
  • Options
    Wish I was getting top 5 lol, my entire top 125 in my shard is Max thrawn capital with, Max fotie ogtie TieX1 biggs and Reaper, with a variety of reinforcements so its more just everyone trading places all day
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    That said I don't want the astromech feature added if it just adds another speed meta dependent on another rng. It's not really fun loosing in the arena just because they had better mod rng than you ( I've also beaten teams that out geared me purely because my team took 2-3 turns to their 1). If they make the feature offer different strategies rather than rng dependent improvements it could be fun though. Porting the current mod rng meta to ships though will just make fleet arena rng worse.

I'm hoping that all they do is to increase your crew power, and thus bump the crew-specific stats for that ship. But I suspect they'll probably act more like a mod, and we'll be back to "who can get lucky farming the best mod". Far more likely is that the slot will forever remain "coming soon". :)
    Wish I was getting top 5 lol, my entire top 125 in my shard is Max thrawn capital with, Max fotie ogtie TieX1 biggs and Reaper, with a variety of reinforcements so its more just everyone trading places all day

Do you have your pilots at g11 minimum? Almost all of the top 20 on my server is full g12 pilots, and they tend to stick better than those with less developed pilots. They may look similar, but if you dig a little you might be able to find players with weaker pilots and hammer on those.

• Options

Isn't all PvP the same in the game. It is all P v AI and results are based on RNG.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options

Isn't all PvP the same in the game. It is all P v AI and results are based on RNG.

Yes, but it's more pronounced in Fleet. The ship is affected by the ship rating, crew rating, and its abilities. Since everyone has the ship level and abilities maxed (as much as they can giving the lack of ship omegas), it comes down to just the star level (which everyone has maxed, with reaper as the occasional exception) and the crew rating. And since the crew rating is influenced by mods (6x 5*, easy), level (85, easy) and gear level, it really just comes down to gear level of the pilot. There are no mods to influence speed , protection, health or damage.
    So in most cases it's a coin flip as to whether your ITF goes before the other guy's, and if it target locks (70%) and sticks. Generally speaking, if you can't land a target lock in the first 2-3 turns, you're done.
    At least regular arena has a few viable meta teams (JTR, Emp, Thrawn, Rex, CLS to a much lesser degree), and mods add some variability.
  • jjkriv
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Akbar,Mace,even Tarkin need a major upgrade to even compete with Thrawns ship.More ship(s)content is severely needed.I almost have every ship completed.
  • Options
    I don't believe RNG is the biggest problem. I believe it is the lack of diversity.
    The biggest problem stems from not only do you have to star and level up your ship. You have to level and gear up the associated toons.
    This often leads people to lean towards the exact same toons used in ships. The toons that can cross over to every other aspect of the game. TFP anyone?
    Command shuttle has been in how long? No one goes for it. 2 of the 3 toons were not really useful in arena or raids until recently. Arguably phasma still doesn't have a place.
    Mace Windu's Capital ship? I personally think this could compete with chimaera but no one is going to gear up mace windu. Not unless you have a boatload of gear lying around to ignore every other aspect of the game.
    How about the tie reaper. What a great ship. You don't see a lot. It takes a long time to grind to 7 stars. Then you have to gear up the deathtrooper and shoretrooper. While they had a small time in the sun it wasn't long enough to make it to the next meta. Now you are starting to see more of them because deathtrooper and shoretrooper are finding places in meta teams.

Because let us all be honest. You can't put in the tie reaper without having the DT/ST leveled/geared up. Otherwise it gets one shot and seems like an enormous pile, which it is not.

Sorry for wall.
    TL:DR
    Ships tied to non meta toons create an enormous lack of diversity, since ship power is immensely tied to that toons power.
  • Options
    As a follow up, I would love to try genosian spy/fighter/sun fac as well as mace capital with FO loadout. Taunt on Kylo = insanely fast FOTFP, which = a lot of dead ships...maybe.

• TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    IIRC the Geo ships are very slow so having three in there could be a problem.

I do run Geo Soldier off the bench but mainly just because I brought him to G11 before I knew what I was doing. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I fell off of ships almost from their introduction in the game, and I was fine with that until there was suddenly decent rewards to be earned, and I've been failing to catch up ever since.

I really want to like them better, but for some reason the mechanic of ship battles is really just not clicking for me, which seems really weird because they're basically the same as the rest of the game. Maybe that's the problem? Maybe there's not enough distinction to make it feel like it's really a unique part of the game, at least for my weird brain.

( ex. being able to 'stun' a ship just ... doesn't feel right. If it was called 'disrupt' instead I feel like I'd have a better time getting it? I dunno, like I said, I'm weird. )

And a lot of other people have made good points - it's too random, there's way too few ships just in general, and it's been mostly entirely neglected since it launched. I wouldn't mind if they spent a lot of the coming year just working on ships, honestly. Well, ships and stuff from the coming Solo movie.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    MCThr33pio wrote: »
    ( ex. being able to 'stun' a ship just ... doesn't feel right. If it was called 'disrupt' instead I feel like I'd have a better time getting it? I dunno, like I said, I'm weird.)

I get this, but I bet you still do the tank raid even though the tank can dodge an attack. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    MCThr33pio wrote: »
    ( ex. being able to 'stun' a ship just ... doesn't feel right. If it was called 'disrupt' instead I feel like I'd have a better time getting it? I dunno, like I said, I'm weird.)

I get this, but I bet you still do the tank raid even though the tank can dodge an attack. ;)

LOL true, but I can at least see a ship dodging an attack! Or, oh wait, should we call it evading? Wait, isn't there already evasion in this game? I think there is. Dang it, this is harder than it looks.

Anyway, I did say it was an irrational urge ha ha ha. Also I now want to see someone 'stun' a tank.
  • Options
    It’s almost like they don’t know what the Ion guns on ships are for