I want to discuss this matchmaking Algorithm..here

Prev134
I believe this warrants a discussion in the General Discussion and NOT in the feedback section. We should be allowed to discuss how exactly the TW algorithm is supposed to work and the "desired outcome"

I want to at least hear an answer from someone on this.

Our guild is now contemplating putting 1 toon on D in protest and let them win, which we know can't be the "evenly matched" outcome you guys want.

At least we get to have fun on offense, since you guys just kittened us on Defense.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    They will not give more details than they already have about the algorithm. They honestly shouldn't, people will play the system more than they play the game the more info they get about how matchmaking is done.

• Kyno wrote: »
    They will not give more details than they already have about the algorithm. They honestly shouldn't, people will play the system more than they play the game the more info they get about how matchmaking is done.

Huh? Are you saying they shouldn't explain to their player base the matching algorithm? I believe as customers of their product they should explain how there is a direct contradiction to what they explained and what they are applying.

• TVF
    36578 posts Member
    If they explain it, it's easier to exploit. So no, they shouldn't.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Huh? Are you saying they shouldn't explain to their player base the matching algorithm? I believe as customers of their product they should explain how there is a direct contradiction to what they explained and what they are applying.

Correct they should not explain the matchmaking system in too much detail, because that give players a chance to play the system for better matching. This could also throw off the data for how the matching is done and make it harder for them to make proper adjustments to the algorithm.
  • TVF wrote: »

LOL, what do you think the player base is doing now? And if they aren't exploiting it, then it's definitely broken if the criteria is based on "the strongest possible squads".

Matchmaking seeks to create the most fair matchups, with two primary goals in mind:
    The squad power of participating individuals in each guild should be near the same average power.
    The strongest possible squads of both participating guilds should be near the same average power.

I think this does require an explanation of how a guild with 800 more G12 toons is an even matchup.

• Kyno wrote: »

Correct they should not explain the matchmaking system in too much detail, because that give players a chance to play the system for better matching. This could also throw off the data for how the matching is done and make it harder for them to make proper adjustments to the algorithm.

I am not looking for the exact secret sauce on how this works. I am looking into an explanation on how they think our matchup is "evenly matched" when our opponent has over 800 more G12 toons than we do.

• TVF
    36578 posts Member
    LOL the more we know the easier it is to exploit. How much they're exploiting now is not the point.
  • Tro6dor
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Kyno can you explain what you mean? I don’t see how the matchmaking could be any more broken then it is? You want fact. Here’s some facts. We have NEVER faced a guild with less gp then us. Which isn’t even what we are upset about by the way just a fun fact. We don’t mind a challenge. But when we are consistently being paired with guilds that are 10 mil gp or higher then us (in this case 20) then it’s not a challenge. It’s not fun for anyone. Not them, not us. It’s a waste of everyone’s time. Now if this was a 1 time thing that would be one thing. But it has been 100% consistent since the start of tw. I wish my zeta drop rate was as good as the drop rate of horrible tw matchups. That’s all I’m saying lol
    They should fix it rather than explaining. 169M GP vs 150M GP is one-sided, unchallenging, unfair, even if top squads of all 50 players are close.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    They should fix it rather than explaining. 169M GP vs 150M GP is one-sided, unchallenging, unfair, even if top squads of all 50 players are close.

We smash guilds in our same range. When we're 10-20m GP underdogs, it's much closer, and we win more than we lose. So from my perspective nothing needs to be fixed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    Tro6dor wrote: »
    We have NEVER faced a guild with less gp then us.

Neither have we. We're 16-4.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Kyno can you explain what you mean? I don’t see how the matchmaking could be any more broken then it is? You want fact. Here’s some facts. We have NEVER faced a guild with less gp then us. Which isn’t even what we are upset about by the way just a fun fact. We don’t mind a challenge. But when we are consistently being paired with guilds that are 10 mil gp or higher then us (in this case 20) then it’s not a challenge. It’s not fun for anyone. Not them, not us. It’s a waste of everyone’s time. Now if this was a 1 time thing that would be one thing. But it has been 100% consistent since the start of tw. I wish my zeta drop rate was as good as the drop rate of horrible tw matchups. That’s all I’m saying lol

What I am saying is that, if this is the algorithm and not people working the system now, they can fix it.

If they give it details about the matchmaking and this helps people figure out a way to "force" a match. Then you could always be forced into playing matches at that range (always 10M+ or higher) and they cant "fix it" without changing the algorithm. Right now they can make changes and dial it in (in theory), without major changes.

Edit to add, I'm not saying it's not broken, I just dont think a deeper understanding on the player side of how the matches are made doesn't help us get to a better place, it could actuall make the road bumpier.
  • Ambassador wrote: »

especially when each player has to play 3/4 teams on defense...who do you think we are using for the rest of the TW...the rest of our squads....this isn't rocket science.

Here is some math for you guys...an additional 800 G12 teams form can form 160 squads. If each squad only takes out 1 toon of the opponent that means they could clear out 32 additional teams before we even get to being even.

Where is that in the calculation...oh wait..we are evenly matched because I have 1 arena team equal to theirs.

We smash guilds in our same range. When we're 10-20m GP underdogs, it's much closer, and we win more than we lose. So from my perspective nothing needs to be fixed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    10-20M GP for guilds in the 60-100M ranges is not as serious a deficit. When you’re at 150M, you already have several max squads - each additional million represents 50 g12 fully-modded toons. Ten squads, usually with the required zetas. Maxed toons with god mods on defense, and enough firepower to cruise through the ten territories.
    We have NEVER faced a guild with less gp then us.

Neither have we. We're 16-4.

and you think that is WAI? Facing a guild that is 20M more GP with 800 more G12 toons?
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member

10-20M GP for guilds in the 60-100M ranges is not as serious a deficit. When you’re at 150M, you already have several max squads - each additional million represents 50 g12 fully-modded toons. Ten squads, usually with the required zetas. Maxed toons with god mods on defense, and enough firepower to cruise through the ten territories.

Well just join our guild then. :p
  • If it doesn’t need to be fixed and people don’t mind fighting guilds 20 mil gp bigger then them then just start letting us be the guild that’s 20 mil bigger. I’m fine with that lol
  • Ambassador
    1653 posts Member
    edited April 2018

What I am saying is that, if this is the algorithm and not people working the system now, they can fix it.

If they give it details about the matchmaking and this helps people figure out a way to "force" a match. Then you could always be forced into playing matches at that range (always 10M+ or higher) and they cant "fix it" without changing the algorithm. Right now they can make changes and dial it in (in theory), without major changes.

Edit to add, I'm not saying it's not broken, I just dont think a deeper understanding on the player side of how the matches are made doesn't help us get to a better place, it could actuall make the road bumpier.
    If everyone knows the matchmaking criteria’s, everyone will be able to do it, and it’ll render the tricks void. The abuse you speak about would only occur if a single guild (or a couple) discovered the criteria’s through analysis and tests.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

If everyone knows the matchmaking criteria’s, everyone will be able to do it, and it’ll render the tricks void. The abuse you speak about would only occur if a single guild (or a couple) discovered the criteria’s through analysis and tests.

The problem I foresee there is that then the algorithm becomes void also. It makes it difficult for them to gauge its effectiveness if it's all background stuff the guilds are doing that makes the match and not just the algorithm.

I think the reverse is true -- the lower the GP the bigger the issue is. As you said, when you're at 150m gp, everyone has several maxed (and generally meta) squads. That one guild also has 50 g12 lobots is irrelevant. For sub-100m gp guilds, however, those GP differences reflect additional meta squads, not additional characters-that-no-one-other-than-whales-max-out.

I think the reverse is true -- the lower the GP the bigger the issue is. As you said, when you're at 150m gp, everyone has several maxed (and generally meta) squads. That one guild also has 50 g12 lobots is irrelevant. For sub-100m gp guilds, however, those GP differences reflect additional meta squads, not additional characters-that-no-one-other-than-whales-max-out.

Remove GP argument for a minute and let's talk about the 800 G12 toon advantage. They even explained that GP is not the overall deciding factor (even though it is a passive indicator).

No - because at lower GP, you might in fact have a smaller GP, but a better range of top squads. At higher GP, you certainly already have a series of maxed squads, so you can’t have better squads than a higher(++)-GP guild. Lot of 60-100M GP guilds have far from efficient teams, so those who have, have an advantage - even against a 10-20M GP deficit.
  • In an earlier post, I went off on a rant about the broken TW matchmaking algorithm and wanted an explanation from CG on how they could even remotely see this as fair.

In my post I quoted our opponents as having 800 more G12 teams than we did and thus was the basis for my argument on why this could not possibly be even. I just learned I was wrong and gave deceitful and false information.

Our opponent actually has 1,000 more G12 toons than we do. For not representing the data correctly, I apologize.
  • You forget to tell about the zetas. You did not mention the zetas, the first time. ;)
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    Our opponent actually has 1,000 more G12 toons than we do. For not representing the data correctly, I apologize.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • LukeDukem8
    608 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    You forget to tell about the zetas. You did not mention the zetas, the first time. ;)

I gave up after 100.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

:)
  • LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    You forget to tell about the zetas. You did not mention the zetas, the first time. ;)

I gave up after 100.

I haven’t finished yet.
    And then there’re the mods. I just checked one of them, and the mods I have at the end of my second page of mods, I find the same (speed secondaries) on his 7th page... :'(
  • So wait the moderator is in your guild? COLLUSION!
  • So wait the moderator is in your guild? COLLUSION!

We’re everywhere.

BTW, I’m not in this thread as a Mod. ;)