Powercreep: how is swgoh handling it?

Replies

• JacenRoe wrote: »
    How about we wait until she is actually in the game before pronouncing with such certainty that the sky is falling.

Supposedly some folks from a high end guild posted they have her already and everything points to Sion, Tray and Nih can handle all metas by themselves.

Since they are Sith, they still fall into the EP Vader meta, so they can’t break the meta since they are the meta.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Cossin wrote: »
    Still my impression.... I bet Bossk will be a Sithraid Monster behind a massive pay/playwall
    No characters are locked behind paywalls.

This game actually does an exceptional job of not locking characters behind paywalls.

There is a brief period where the impatient can pay to get him early, but just like every other character, give it a month or so, and you can buy from shipments. Give it another month or so, and you can farm just like anyone else.

Everyone who wants Bossk will be able to get Bossk.
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    No one remembers KOTOR specifically for Traya, but now she is the best toon in the game hands down.
    Kreia is, quite possibly, the single best-written and most interesting character in all of Star Wars. In fact, she's the one thing that sticks out to me the most about KOTOR.
    Yep. Also new toons are coming with the Solo movie.
    A good chance the counter will have a Rex lead. Lolol
    Calling it now. Therm Scissorpunch. Most OP toon.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Still my impression.... I bet Bossk will be a Sithraid Monster behind a massive pay/playwall

This game actually does an exceptional job of not locking characters behind paywalls.

There is a brief period where the impatient can pay to get him early, but just like every other character, give it a month or so, and you can buy from shipments. Give it another month or so, and you can farm just like anyone else.

No one remembers KOTOR specifically for Traya, but now she is the best toon in the game hands down.
    Kreia is, quite possibly, the single best-written and most interesting character in all of Star Wars. In fact, she's the one thing that sticks out to me the most about KOTOR.

I’ll take that bet!
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

It’s all a matter of opinion. I personally think she’s a boring cliché, compared to the other antagonists. Just listen to their names, reflecting their characters: lord of hunger (nihilus is basically a robe and mask that eats people life force to survive, a unique thing) lord of pain (Sion is basically a corpse that is kept alive by hatred, kind of like Vader, but on a much larger and more unique scale) lord of... betrayal (Traya was once a Jedi,( where have I heard that one before) and betrays people and is generally evil and such. Actually, she is basically Sidious or Talzin but with more tired, overused themes, and no group of awesome female warriors and dark side magic or a truly horrifyingly sadistic and diabolically hilarious personality. Also, where have we seen betrayal between bad guys before? Maul and sidious, sidious and dooku, Vader and sidious, sidious and talzin, starscream and megatron, your team mate in a pvp game with team killing, (insert sith apprentice) and (insert sith master), roodaka and sidorak (or literally any bionicle bad guys), and the list goes on. There’s also her most interesting scene (getting beat up by Sion) and her fighting style (floating blades, actually kind of cool, but aesthetics shouldn’t be the center piece of any character) and lastly the cover of the game. The bad guy is always looming and the back, so naturally the most imposing villain would be in that place. Who do we see there? Nihilus. Where do we see Traya? Nowhere. I rest my case.) shoot, that got off topic. At least I don’t seem like a fool now... oh wait...
  • Bastilla’s force ghost would be a great counter to Traya.
  • I'm impressed with how diverse the meta is right now. Each new character rework has created an alternative team to use, but not quashed other teams from competing totally (on my shard at least).

Man come on, first of all "brief" depends on how you look at it. Mother Talzin was p2p for like 6 months. If you call that brief then idk what to tell you. Shipments are not a f2p farmable location if that's what you mean. The game used to follow the 3 month then free model. Now it's 3 months then shipments and then after like another 3 months it becomes free.

This makes it approximately a 6 month premium period which isn't brief by any stretch of the imagination. Holdo and Rose are still premium, which I'm they should be free by now.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    PeteSolo wrote: »

Man come on, first of all "brief" depends on how you look at it. Mother Talzin was p2p for like 6 months. If you call that brief then idk what to tell you. Shipments are not a f2p farmable location if that's what you mean. The game used to follow the 3 month then free model. Now it's 3 months then shipments and then after like another 3 months it becomes free.

This makes it approximately a 6 month premium period which isn't brief by any stretch of the imagination. Holdo and Rose are still premium, which I'm they should be free by now.

Normal character release cadance:
    Marque -> 4-6 weeks to chromium/shipments -> another 4-6 weeks farmable location (granted, this location could be a single hard node)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • They only care about meta. Whales > everyone.
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Never have we seen a more blatant and overpowered counter to nearly every team in arena.

Except Droids+Poe when the game first started... and Dooku lead with Rey shortly after... and Wegde+Biggs after that which eventually morphed into the Danger Zone squad... and the Palpatine meta that killed that off... and the Zaul meta that emerged after Zetas came out... and the triple cleanse that mostly killed that off... and the CLS+R2 meta that finished the job... and the JTR meta... and the most recent Zeta Palpatine meta.

So basically 90% of all major arena shifts have been OP, and gutted most other squads to some degree. Anyone remember Chirrut and Baze beating other meta teams 2 vs 5 with no leader ability? Yeah that wasn't fun. But we will adapt, survive, and overcome.

Many of those metas weren't blatantly overpowered like traya appears to be. Dooku/Rey was more annoying than overpowered, and wiggs could be beat by droids, Rex, and Jedi teams.

Traya looks like she's similar to how chaze was but at least when chaze came out they also released zeta abilities at the same time, so people who were smart with farming zetas could keep in step. I don't see anything like that so far

How about we wait until she is actually in the game before pronouncing with such certainty that the sky is falling.

Also several of those metas were far, far worse than you are admitting. There was a time when the top 50 of my arena was 47 Dookus, and 3 QGJs. Rey was the only instakill in the game doing 2-3 times the damage of any other attacker. It wasn't, "annoying." It was THE only viable team.

CLS was the worst in the history of the game as far as I recall. The SWGOH.gg meta report looked like a blue Packman eating all other teams.

And Chase could literally 2 vs 5 anything in existence at the time they were released.

So if Treya destroys the meta I won't be surprised. It's happened repeatedly. But it's not some new, shocking event that's never occurred before. And I actually want to see it happen before I believe it. Once she's in the wild, players will find the cracks in her armor if any exist.

Total exaggerations. What made dooku/Rey annoying is that you would kill Rey only to have her get revived by daka for no reason, or get stuck behind royal guards auto taunt, because your best dispelled was qui gon Jin who was on cooldowns. In other words it was simply an rng fest, just like now

And CLS was not the worst meta ever, not even close. CLS teams had glaring weaknesses that a smart player could exploit. At the height of the CLS meta, you could run CLS teams, kenobi/zarris, ackbar/hoda, KRU first order, ewoks, or several different nightsister variants and still compete for top tier arena. Thats much better diversity than most arena metas we've seen
  • They only care about meta. Whales > everyone.

Well it’s a little more than that but This game really isn’t bad towards ftp. Also I’m sure whales are probably feeling that things have been more in favor of ftp lately. If people choose to spend their money on something that’s their right. Which also creates an environment for so many ftp to hang
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

It’s all a matter of opinion. I personally think she’s a boring cliché, compared to the other antagonists. Just listen to their names, reflecting their characters: lord of hunger (nihilus is basically a robe and mask that eats people life force to survive, a unique thing) lord of pain (Sion is basically a corpse that is kept alive by hatred, kind of like Vader, but on a much larger and more unique scale) lord of... betrayal (Traya was once a Jedi,( where have I heard that one before) and betrays people and is generally evil and such. Actually, she is basically Sidious or Talzin but with more tired, overused themes, and no group of awesome female warriors and dark side magic or a truly horrifyingly sadistic and diabolically hilarious personality. Also, where have we seen betrayal between bad guys before? Maul and sidious, sidious and dooku, Vader and sidious, sidious and talzin, starscream and megatron, your team mate in a pvp game with team killing, (insert sith apprentice) and (insert sith master), roodaka and sidorak (or literally any bionicle bad guys), and the list goes on. There’s also her most interesting scene (getting beat up by Sion) and her fighting style (floating blades, actually kind of cool, but aesthetics shouldn’t be the center piece of any character) and lastly the cover of the game. The bad guy is always looming and the back, so naturally the most imposing villain would be in that place. Who do we see there? Nihilus. Where do we see Traya? Nowhere. I rest my case.) shoot, that got off topic. At least I don’t seem like a fool now... oh wait...

Do you actually know anything about the character? She is the only one of the triumvirate, and one of the few Star Wars characters overall with any depth. Nihilus eats people... cuz he's hungry. Sion is mad... but like REALLY mad.

Treya left the Jedi essentially because all her students left to go fight when the galaxy was threatened, and the Jedi Counsel didn't approve. She didn't just get mad and fall to the dark side, but she embraced the dark after leaving the Jedi because she wasn't welcome. She wasn't evil, while there, and she didn't tell anyone to go off, and disobey the Counsel. She just trained students to think for themselves, and that's not permitted in the Jedi order. So she left.

And as a Sith Lord she was surrounded by sadistic, violent cutthroats who betrayed her. She came to believe that both Jedi, and Sith were mindless adherents to narrow ideologies.

She isn't driven to take over the world/galaxy/universe for no reason at all like Palpatine/Sideous, and every other boring two dimensional cartoon villain. She isn't even evil strictly speaking. She actually scolds you in KOTOR 2 if you are mean for no reason. She actually wants to train the Exile to decide what she wants/believe on her own, to think independently, and to train others to do the same after she's gone.

And she also has as an ulterior motive the death of the force itself. The "will" of the force is a common theme in Star Wars, and she detests the idea that it controls or influence her. Which is why she is so taken with the Exile who severed her own connection to it. She seeks a way to end the influence of the force through the Exile who seems to be able to use the force, but isn't a slave to it's will.

So the centerpiece of her character is that she is nether Jedi nor Sith. She's been both, and outgrown both. She is an existentialist philosopher with lightsabers who's personal mission is to end the pointless cycles of light and dark.

Now, if that's not interesting to you that's fine. You can think that's boring. That's also fine. Just actually know why you don't like her instead of doing what you did which is say a bunch of stuff that totally false, because you glanced at her and think that tells you all you need to know.

Do you actually know anything about the character? She is the only one of the triumvirate, and one of the few Star Wars characters overall with any depth. Nihilus eats people... cuz he's hungry. Sion is mad... but like REALLY mad.

Treya left the Jedi essentially because all her students left to go fight when the galaxy was threatened, and the Jedi Counsel didn't approve. She didn't just get mad and fall to the dark side, but she embraced the dark after leaving the Jedi because she wasn't welcome. She wasn't evil, while there, and she didn't tell anyone to go off, and disobey the Counsel. She just trained students to think for themselves, and that's not permitted in the Jedi order. So she left.

And as a Sith Lord she was surrounded by sadistic, violent cutthroats who betrayed her. She came to believe that both Jedi, and Sith were mindless adherents to narrow ideologies.

She isn't driven to take over the world/galaxy/universe for no reason at all like Palpatine/Sideous, and every other boring two dimensional cartoon villain. She isn't even evil strictly speaking. She actually scolds you in KOTOR 2 if you are mean for no reason. She actually wants to train the Exile to decide what she wants/believe on her own, to think independently, and to train others to do the same after she's gone.

And she also has as an ulterior motive the death of the force itself. The "will" of the force is a common theme in Star Wars, and she detests the idea that it controls or influence her. Which is why she is so taken with the Exile who severed her own connection to it. She seeks a way to end the influence of the force through the Exile who seems to be able to use the force, but isn't a slave to it's will.

So the centerpiece of her character is that she is nether Jedi nor Sith. She's been both, and outgrown both. She is an existentialist philosopher with lightsabers who's personal mission is to end the pointless cycles of light and dark.

Now, if that's not interesting to you that's fine. You can think that's boring. That's also fine. Just actually know why you don't like her instead of doing what you did which is say a bunch of stuff that totally false, because you glanced at her and think that tells you all you need to know.

Yeah, these arguments are pretty lame. The story of the sith triumvirate is a really strong one. The idea that nihilus essentially underwent a nuclear blast and survived, but came out completely changed and evil is a great theme and has a lot of relevance to modern society

The whole story of KOTOR 2 is about whether or not a war can be just, and what the costs of going to war are
  • leef wrote: »

Normal character release cadance:
    Marque -> 4-6 weeks to chromium/shipments -> another 4-6 weeks farmable location (granted, this location could be a single hard node)

Can you say the same for Talzin and the other night sisters?
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member

1) Talzin and Wicket were an experiment. A failed experiment.

2) Talzin was not pay gated. She was initially available in packs, but that never came back. After that, it was just the event. It wasn't a gate to make more money; they weren't making any more money, because they weren't concurrently selling Talzing packs.

3) They're farmable right now, free. Have patience.

As to Holdo? I'm sure she'll get into a node shortly.
    Still not a he.

1) Talzin and Wicket were an experiment. A failed experiment.

2) Talzin was not pay gated. She was initially available in packs, but that never came back. After that, it was just the event. It wasn't a gate to make more money; they weren't making any more money, because they weren't concurrently selling Talzing packs.

3) They're farmable right now, free. Have patience.

As to Holdo? I'm sure she'll get into a node shortly.

Poor wicket. Released at the wrong time and the wrong format. I remember cap saying he wanted to make Ewoks more viable or required for more things. Idk if that still holds true.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    edited April 2018

That’s like the same thing as Revan, qui gon, dooku, Ashoka, or anyone else who I missed. They might have come later than her, but there’s a key difference; those people win. Trays get her butt kicked time and time again. And when I said she was a generic bad guy, I meant a generic antagonist, having a motive or something or other. Also, palpatine had a motive (stopping the vong) but thanks to Disney he just wants to have a big empire now. But to me, a villain is only as good as their successes, and Traya doesn’t stand up to the competition. Her motives and what not are cool, but she’s just so blah. I do not and will never think that Traya should be as powerful as she is in this game. Leave it to a villain that has more than motives to back up their character (the wampa is a great example of this)
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

That’s like the same thing as Revan, qui gon, dooku, Ashoka, or anyone else who I missed. They might have come later than her, but there’s a key difference; those people win.

Let's see QGJ got run through by Maul, Dooku got decapitated by Anakin, and Ahsoka would have been killed by by Vader if it weren't for time travel. I'm still trying to get over that last one. The only winner you mentioned was Revan, who was taught to be a winner by Treya who was the first one as you say.

And Star Wars is an epic that spans long periods of time. So if you cover lifetimes you get to see characters win, then eventually get to see them lose. Every character has won, and lost except the ones that haven't died yet. But just wait for the next movie. Palpatine... dead. Dooku... dead. Vader... dead. Maul... dead. Nihilus... dead. Mother Talzin... dead. Snoak... dead. The only bad guys who are worthwhile by your metric are Kylo, and Hux... until the next movie. Also Wampa probably died after getting his arm cut off because nature is a cruel mistress.
  • Nerf her unique and periodically rework off meta toons to counter newer toons a bit? Like giving older toons zetas and omegas (except gk).
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Never have we seen a more blatant and overpowered counter to nearly every team in arena.

Except Droids+Poe when the game first started... and Dooku lead with Rey shortly after... and Wegde+Biggs after that which eventually morphed into the Danger Zone squad... and the Palpatine meta that killed that off... and the Zaul meta that emerged after Zetas came out... and the triple cleanse that mostly killed that off... and the CLS+R2 meta that finished the job... and the JTR meta... and the most recent Zeta Palpatine meta.

So basically 90% of all major arena shifts have been OP, and gutted most other squads to some degree. Anyone remember Chirrut and Baze beating other meta teams 2 vs 5 with no leader ability? Yeah that wasn't fun. But we will adapt, survive, and overcome.

Many of those metas weren't blatantly overpowered like traya appears to be. Dooku/Rey was more annoying than overpowered, and wiggs could be beat by droids, Rex, and Jedi teams.

Traya looks like she's similar to how chaze was but at least when chaze came out they also released zeta abilities at the same time, so people who were smart with farming zetas could keep in step. I don't see anything like that so far

Also several of those metas were far, far worse than you are admitting. There was a time when the top 50 of my arena was 47 Dookus, and 3 QGJs. Rey was the only instakill in the game doing 2-3 times the damage of any other attacker. It wasn't, "annoying." It was THE only viable team.

CLS was the worst in the history of the game as far as I recall. The SWGOH.gg meta report looked like a blue Packman eating all other teams.

And Chase could literally 2 vs 5 anything in existence at the time they were released.

So if Treya destroys the meta I won't be surprised. It's happened repeatedly. But it's not some new, shocking event that's never occurred before. And I actually want to see it happen before I believe it. Once she's in the wild, players will find the cracks in her armor if any exist.

And CLS was not the worst meta ever, not even close. CLS teams had glaring weaknesses that a smart player could exploit. At the height of the CLS meta, you could run CLS teams, kenobi/zarris, ackbar/hoda, KRU first order, ewoks, or several different nightsister variants and still compete for top tier arena. Thats much better diversity than most arena metas we've seen

CLS WAS the worst meta. For one, 50/50 top arena teams had his lead at one time. Second, it wasn't so much earned, but for those who had the right toons at the right time. Ppl who never had a shot at top arena suddenly jumped to the top. The last reason is that all of your counters are pretty ridiculous: you're talking about toons like hoda and krum? Who had those guys back when CLS was meta? Not sure hoda was even out yet, but either way you're talking about mega whales who weren't struggling anyway.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Every time a meta shifts, there are odd units you don't normally think about who suddenly become relevant and folks start working on them.

Heck, if introducing a character makes other, existing characters more relevant, then it's done something right, even if it hasn't done everything right. I remember a short period where B2 Battle Droid started seeing some field time due to the rise of nightsisters.

Introduce anything relevant and folks are gonna hopefully start farming that counter they hadn't worked on yet, 'cuz otherwise there isn't a game.
    Still not a he.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    i'm not sure why people are always up in arms over this, powercreep is one of the reasons we're all still interrested in this stoopid game.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    i'm not sure why people are always up in arms over this, powercreep is one of the reasons we're all still interrested in this stoopid game.

Pretty much, if the meta status quo stagnated most players would do a runner as they'd end up chasing small fractions of percentages to make their meta team a little better than the other guys all but identical meta team. Those players are usually the mega whales i.e. CG/EAs target demographic.

The regular do what they feel like players don't care about power creep as they make teams that suit them knowing they aren't competitive at higher tiers.

Power creep is only annoying to the crowd that really want to be competitive but haven't got the dollars to do it as by the time they've chased the meta, the meta has moved on.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

CLS WAS the worst meta. For one, 50/50 top arena teams had his lead at one time. Second, it wasn't so much earned, but for those who had the right toons at the right time. Ppl who never had a shot at top arena suddenly jumped to the top. The last reason is that all of your counters are pretty ridiculous: you're talking about toons like hoda and krum? Who had those guys back when CLS was meta? Not sure hoda was even out yet, but either way you're talking about mega whales who weren't struggling anyway.

Let's be honest, diversity is pretty weak right now too, and I doubt it'll get better once traya becomes common. I'm also not sure how you're comment about CLS not being "earned is relevant". They'd been dropping hints for three months about needing characters like farmboy to help unlock CLS, so smart players farmed him up. People that unlocked CLS on the first try definately earned it

Lastly, ackbar/Hoda and KRU first order are definately my farmable now (my shard had 2-3 people running an ackbar/yoda squad back then as well). My comment was meant to say that they should have let that meta run its course by releasing/reworking characters that could compete with it, but not blow it up like they actually did. It's better to have a meta based around a team that crits hard but doesn't heal itself than it is to have a meta based around landing stuns and rng that determines who moves next, cause there's 4 characters at 100% tm
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    GK Zarris R2 DN was a hard counter to CLS...
  • Gen Veers, Krenic, DT, Snow Trooper, IST, are a pretty good Luke counter. Col Starck in there for good measure with Wampa and IPD is not bad either.

It’s just obtaining them and having end goals
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    As always. They fix a broken op toon by selling an even more broken op toon.
  • Georgemi6 wrote: »
    I personally think she’s a boring cliché, compared to the other antagonists. Just listen to their names, reflecting their characters: lord of hunger (nihilus is basically a robe and mask that eats people life force to survive, a unique thing) lord of pain (Sion is basically a corpse that is kept alive by hatred, kind of like Vader, but on a much larger and more unique scale) lord of... betrayal (Traya was once a Jedi,( where have I heard that one before) and betrays people and is generally evil and such. Actually, she is basically Sidious or Talzin but with more tired, overused themes, and no group of awesome female warriors and dark side magic or a truly horrifyingly sadistic and diabolically hilarious personality. Also, where have we seen betrayal between bad guys before? Maul and sidious, sidious and dooku, Vader and sidious, sidious and talzin, starscream and megatron, your team mate in a pvp game with team killing, (insert sith apprentice) and (insert sith master), roodaka and sidorak (or literally any bionicle bad guys), and the list goes on. There’s also her most interesting scene (getting beat up by Sion) and her fighting style (floating blades, actually kind of cool, but aesthetics shouldn’t be the center piece of any character) and lastly the cover of the game. The bad guy is always looming and the back, so naturally the most imposing villain would be in that place. Who do we see there? Nihilus. Where do we see Traya? Nowhere. I rest my case.)

Outside of the Bible and Shakespeare, you'd be hard pushed to find any original stories.

• I suggest you read Dante if believe that...
    Ally code 428-543-243
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I personally think she’s a boring cliché, compared to the other antagonists. Just listen to their names, reflecting their characters: lord of hunger (nihilus is basically a robe and mask that eats people life force to survive, a unique thing) lord of pain (Sion is basically a corpse that is kept alive by hatred, kind of like Vader, but on a much larger and more unique scale) lord of... betrayal (Traya was once a Jedi,( where have I heard that one before) and betrays people and is generally evil and such. Actually, she is basically Sidious or Talzin but with more tired, overused themes, and no group of awesome female warriors and dark side magic or a truly horrifyingly sadistic and diabolically hilarious personality. Also, where have we seen betrayal between bad guys before? Maul and sidious, sidious and dooku, Vader and sidious, sidious and talzin, starscream and megatron, your team mate in a pvp game with team killing, (insert sith apprentice) and (insert sith master), roodaka and sidorak (or literally any bionicle bad guys), and the list goes on. There’s also her most interesting scene (getting beat up by Sion) and her fighting style (floating blades, actually kind of cool, but aesthetics shouldn’t be the center piece of any character) and lastly the cover of the game. The bad guy is always looming and the back, so naturally the most imposing villain would be in that place. Who do we see there? Nihilus. Where do we see Traya? Nowhere. I rest my case.)

Outside of the Bible and Shakespeare, you'd be hard pushed to find any original stories.

Shakespeare is too new, you have to go deeper. Like, Greek and Nesopothamian mythology and stuff like that. But yeah, in principle, all stories have already been told long ago and we can get only remakes.