New player looking for general advice

Hello! Started playing recently, having a blast so far! After some time I realized the depth of the game and importance of farming strategy, squad composition, etc. I checked starter videos and found it helpful and now looking for more specific advice.

More input:
1. https://swgoh.gg/u/vladushka/
2. Paying player, 100 bucks per week
3. Want to be as much competitive as I can

Please advice:

1. I see Phoenix teams dominate arena. Can I reliably counter them with what I have? If so what should I focus on?

2. Is farming my own Phoenix team essential? Should I switch to it or have it as a side project?

3. What you consider the best options to spend $ for paying players? So far I spend to cantina energy, general energy and some random packs from the store.

4. Looking for active helpful clan to join which runs low level raids as well.

5. Any other advice based on my profile is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have fun!

Replies

• Options
    1 Phoenix teams are only good in arena for the first 2 months of a shard then they slowly yeald to meta and synergy team

2 but do invest in them . I hate them but you need them to 7* Thrawn and can be used to 7* EP

3 best bet. buy crystal packs. use the crystals for energy refreshes
    maybe get some hard to farm gear with the crystals from shipments.
    unless you have a lot of disposable income i sould avoid the packs. better bargin to refresh energy and farm.

4 joining an active guild is paramont. Use this forum to source a suitable guild.

5. you want dark side ships so farm empire and first order. . A good scoundral crew for credit and droid hiest. boba fett, clone wars chewie, st han, lando and a fith scoundral of your choosing. i would go cad bane as he stunns.

get biggs and wedge. get nightsisters. but dont try to do them all at one. pick a couple of toons to work on at a time. its a long grind for everone
    even whales
    they just do it a little quicker.

have a plan and stick to it.

• Options
    @Vladushka . also. DL discord. add me for further advice if you like.

discord - @Panamax#7623
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    1—2:
    The usual recommendation is either to go all in on Phoenix from the start or to go the Biggs, ST Han, Lando, Boba + 1 rebel (eventually Wedge). The Phoenix dominance will wear off when you close in on lvl 85. The Biggs etc. option has the benefit of developing scoundrels for credit heist. The Phoenix option has the benefit of unlocking Thrawn earlier.

3. Energy refreshes gives you the benefit of leveling faster. Good.

5. Try getting one character to 7* as fast as possible to be able to join heroic tier raids.
  • Options
    You're gonna give a mobile game 400 a month...ok
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    As others have stated, Phoenix will only get you so far. You still should farm them because of the reasons listed here and for LSTB. It might be a while before you need them for there, though.

If you’re spending that much a month then you have a few options. Energy refreshes will get you a long way. Buying gear will get you a long way as well. You can also save the money for when new toons are released. They typically run right around $300, give or take for rng. Buying gear might be the best way to go, tbh. Get to the top of the leaderboard fast. Use the crystals earned there for energy refreshes to keep pace with the whales of your arena. If you are the whale of your arena then set the pace. Though, at $400/month you’re probably not the biggest whale.

I cannot stress enough, find a good guild. Research. Finding the right guild for you is important. Don’t just join some rando guild that recruits you first. Your goal is to find smart players who are constantly learning about the game and improving. Find a mentor that can help you get to the next level.

Have fun. It’s your game. Play it however you wish and don’t apologize for it. If you want to dominate arena then dominate arena. If you want to be the best in tw then do that. If all you want to do is collect characters, knock yourself out. Above all else, remember it’s just a game.
  • Options
    Thanks ... amazing community in action!
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Phoenix are the easiest team to farm early on with synergy to develop.

They are the exclusive method to obtain a legendary character and are one of a number of options to obtain another legendary character.

Always buy energy and cantina energy. They give their rewards and help you level up two. Dont buy too many on one day though as the price doubles every 3 purchases.

Most free to play players that top arena buy 3 normal refreshes and 3 cantina refreshes every.

Pick a team to farm. Either go phoenix or go for another option.

For your own sake pick at least one character in your team that works in fleet arena as in early fleet arena its about having well built up pilots.

Also find a list of events and build teams for them.

Phoenix to thrawn and Palpatine, thrawn and palpatine+3(vader tie and tarkin for ships perhaps) to r2d2, r2d2 +anh rebels to cls is a common formula for new players seeking to min max with the lowest number of characters possible.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Lots of good advice given so far. Since you’re a paying player, you have access to some characters early that free players can’t afford. Getting characters like Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion, and Sith Trooper unlocked early can give you a big advantage in arena.
  • Options
    Kai, this is what I was looking for. Got lucky with Nightsisters, runninng full squad already. They made me top3 in arena and full auto cleared GW with some squads 15 levels higher!
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    1. Phoenix is a great early game FTP faction, which explains why they're everywhere in your arena right now, but your Nightsisters can absolutely counter them no problem. I've been running NS in the arena pretty much since I started (I started when Talzin was first released so I lucked out there with packs being available for her at the time). The only problem with them is on defense. Most Phoenix teams will be able to take out NS on offense too so you might find yourself dropping overnight.

2. You'll need them eventually, and if you weren't a paying player, I'd suggest farming them right away too. But I actually think you'd be better off farming other rebels instead. The next event to come is probably Palpatine, which Phoenix can get you, but any rebels will do. Since you're probably going to experience a credit crunch sooner than most, I'd recommend building a rebel team around Lando and STHan while getting Boba Fett in the cantina store. You're going to want to be able to do the highest possible level of Credit Heist events every time. You'll have time to get Phoenix later on.

In your case, you'll really only be farming Phoenix just to get Thrawn. You probably won't use them much outside of that as there are better LS and Rebel teams to use.

3. Crystal packs for the daily energy refreshes. Early on, I would say you can spend on chromium packs too, but once you start to build a reasonable stable of toons, they're less and less useful and you'll probably end up just getting shard shop currency.

4. You're actually in the same shard as the alt. account I just created. I recognised your name. We'd love to have you in our guild, but I see you're now in one. Hit me up on here if you want. We're capable of doing high level raids, but we're still doing tier 5 and 6 Rancor and AAT just for the lower level players that have joined so that they could participate. Overall, I'd say getting at least one character to 7* as soon as possible to get the rewards from a guild doing lots of heroic raids is a better benefit. But it's all about what you want to do. Do you want rewards but not contribute to the success of the guild, or do you want to actually participate? There's no wrong answer. Play the game the way you want.

5. Just remember it's a game and sometimes the grind makes the rewards that much sweeter. I would suggest working towards the legendary event requirements, but the first step should be in building a foundation to keep yourself competitive. Having scoundrels for credit heists, a strong team with synergies for the arena, and getting a fleet started will keep you going while you build towards the legendary events. Even if it means letting an event pass you buy the first time around. Don't forget, they always come around again.
  • Options
    Oh NS are a NOPE for me if they pop up. I don't have any counter to the loop. Hit a few people, zombie tanks, kill it and by the time you killed the zombie they all heal. Of course the zombie is back up again.

Does Boba's execute deal with that? Or is the zombie immune to that sort of thing?
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Remember ships.

Night sisters are a good team but they dont fly.

Phoenix has two ships between them. Wedge biggs and boba have ships. TFP and Vader have ships.

3 common early game combos have multiple ships and thus a advantage in ships at level 60.
  • Options
    Wow, more amazing advice! Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.

YKMisfit your post is great! Probably I will keep my NS squad developed just enough to hit Top in arena and concentrate on building Rebel team. I already have lando, baze and imwe in good shape! I’m happy to hear that Phoenix is mandatory only for Thrawn, which just have finished. All my luck with chromiums went towards other characters ))) my guild is very helpful too and I feel comfortable being there, thanks for the invite though!

Hellsteeth30, I believe execute is direct counter to NS.

• Options
    Sorry to dissappoint, zombie revives no matter what, I've seen that nihilus doesn't even kill it with annihilate.

Phoenix counter NS pretty well as long as they are within 10% of power, focusing daka, talzin, ventress is best order, assuming zombie and acolyte. If they run talia, the extra heal is super annoying, but my phoenix at 63k can usually beat 65k NS, higher power if they aren't too fast.

The key is getting zombie dispelled with high health, so I have ezra pretty fast, so a cleanse immediately lets hera call assist and get daka stunned by zeb. Once she is down, talzin can also get a revive in, so key is to keep her stunned. After that, ventress is powering up, especially when they start revive assisting. I think those count as deaths for her, so it gets absurd if you don't kill her fast. Then hope you have plenty of time for stealth to go away, and once it does, you should be good to go. Of course RNG can make it impossible, so there's that too.

NS are good, as well as really annoying (I only have my empire at 40k so far, so very little aoe to kill the stealth.)
    You have a better start than me, I figured out what I was doing at lvl 55, so I only have 23 levels of solid play, and just learned mods well at 65.
  • Options
    Nightsisters dominated our arena in the begining as whales bought em to get advantage. Now after 4 months of play I dont even see them in top 50 anymore. A good empire team who are very easy and doesnt cost money kills nightsisters in 1min arena battle.

I would focus on phoenix to unlock palp and thrawn and make scoundrels good to unlock tier4 creditheist as fast as possible to get advantage by hording cash to lvl up rooster later on.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    jursllla wrote: »
    Nightsisters dominated our arena in the begining as whales bought em to get advantage. Now after 4 months of play I dont even see them in top 50 anymore. A good empire team who are very easy and doesnt cost money kills nightsisters in 1min arena battle.

I would focus on phoenix to unlock palp and thrawn and make scoundrels good to unlock tier4 creditheist as fast as possible to get advantage by hording cash to lvl up rooster later on.

Later on nightsisters reappear because of jtr. For now though nihtsisters dont have a place in your shard.
  • Options
    Phoenix till 7* G9 Lvl 80. After 7* Palp and Thrawn, switch arena team to palp,.thrawn, vader, tarkin, tfp. you need to swith to new team as soon as your arena shard gets these 2 events because phoenix lose viability after that
  • Options
    RogerGamer wrote: »
    Phoenix till 7* G9 Lvl 80. After 7* Palp and Thrawn, switch arena team to palp,.thrawn, vader, tarkin, tfp. you need to swith to new team as soon as your arena shard gets these 2 events because phoenix lose viability after that

I'd run (and am running) thrawn lead over palp lead until palp is zeta'd, but otherwise I definitely agree.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/