So is this the way communications are going?

Replies

• TVF
    36575 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I'd rather find out when the change actually goes live, a month later, than watch a video. Hard pass.

... So don't watch them. Other people who like them can. Then everyone is happy.

You've missed the point completely. I'm fine with videos that other people can watch ALONGSIDE written posts. This ships video did not come with an associated written post, so I'd have to watch it to get the information (putting aside the awesome transcript, which shouldn't be necessary). A choice is great, but at least in this case, I wasn't given a choice.

That was the OP's point, and it's a good one. More choice is better. A text version accompanying the videos is great...

But you didn't say that. You said you would rather find out a month later when the changes go live than watch a video. That's kind of confusing.

If my choice is a video or not knowing, I choose not knowing. Not sure why you're confused.

Because you said you'd rather have nothing than a video. I got that loud and clear... because you said that. Then you said that I missed your point which is that you want a text version... which you never said. So I don't understand how you expect people to get your point if you don't actually say what that is.

I think it's clear there's no point in going further with you on this.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Nomad1941 wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie if this is the way future info is going can you please at least have someone provide a summary? For reasons I will get into here I will not be forced to watch the GC video's for information.
    I don't think it is asking a lot to summarize the important points in a post.

Just maybe they are doing it this way to give more advanced communication. The official release will include the breakdown as they always do. People complained about lack of communication well here it is. Don't fault them for using the Gamechangers either. It's a reward for them as they help the game for many who do watch it. You won't miss anything by not watching any videos. But if you want the latest tips, thoughts or a heads up about the future of the game then you have a way to do that.

Also there was already a written breakdown on reddit hours after the video. So it's out there. Can't get mad if you don't get it the way you want. Well I guess you can but why. It's better then nothing until a couple of days before it drops like before.

Just saw a transcript was posted 45 minutes before your post on the forums so it is here too.

I do fault them for making GC the main source of this information. I will not expand on that here as I will let others form their own opinions on GC's.

I am not mad, simply asking for bullet points to be shared in the official forum. If they don't want to do that I will live.

IMO I think it is better to get feedback from as many people as possible and only providing this information via GC limits the audience, granted it might be the audiences choice to not watch the videos, however there is also a language barrier with solely doing video posts. Many people can read English, or run it thru a translate, way better then they can understand spoken English.
  • I like the new info. I don’t watch the videos cus they are too long. I appreciate volunteers transcribing them. Thanks.
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    Let me add I don't have a problem with them doing videos just would like the main points or a transcript of what was discussed posted here.

I do thank the forum memeber(s) that have done this on their own to help out the community.

let's be real a 20-30 min phone interview will have maybe 5 points which will take a couple minutes to type up in a forum post that could be shared here.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    I'd rather find out when the change actually goes live, a month later, than watch a video. Hard pass.

... So don't watch them. Other people who like them can. Then everyone is happy.

You've missed the point completely. I'm fine with videos that other people can watch ALONGSIDE written posts. This ships video did not come with an associated written post, so I'd have to watch it to get the information (putting aside the awesome transcript, which shouldn't be necessary). A choice is great, but at least in this case, I wasn't given a choice.

That was the OP's point, and it's a good one. More choice is better. A text version accompanying the videos is great...

But you didn't say that. You said you would rather find out a month later when the changes go live than watch a video. That's kind of confusing.

If my choice is a video or not knowing, I choose not knowing. Not sure why you're confused.

Because you said you'd rather have nothing than a video. I got that loud and clear... because you said that. Then you said that I missed your point which is that you want a text version... which you never said. So I don't understand how you expect people to get your point if you don't actually say what that is.

I think it's clear there's no point in going further with you on this.

Because you were wrong, and you don't know how to communicate clearly? I agree. I also agree that a text version for those so inclined is nice.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Yeah I don't mind some key highlights post because we are in a mobile world and I'm always moving about without having 20 minutes to sit straight in one place when I don't have that much time.

I do understand why they want to do videos, CG staff feel more human, they are supporting GameChangers by providing them with YT Views, some content is better shown in video format (such as beta footage of new ships) but not all the past 20 mins interviews had clips / stuff that wasn't shown before or had 2 minutes of info that you needed 20 minutes to sit through

Another issue with YT is that you can't easily look up this info weeks or months down the line when you need to refer back to it in text form to share in other media.
  • scuba wrote: »
    Nomad1941 wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie if this is the way future info is going can you please at least have someone provide a summary? For reasons I will get into here I will not be forced to watch the GC video's for information.
    I don't think it is asking a lot to summarize the important points in a post.

Just maybe they are doing it this way to give more advanced communication. The official release will include the breakdown as they always do. People complained about lack of communication well here it is. Don't fault them for using the Gamechangers either. It's a reward for them as they help the game for many who do watch it. You won't miss anything by not watching any videos. But if you want the latest tips, thoughts or a heads up about the future of the game then you have a way to do that.

Also there was already a written breakdown on reddit hours after the video. So it's out there. Can't get mad if you don't get it the way you want. Well I guess you can but why. It's better then nothing until a couple of days before it drops like before.

Just saw a transcript was posted 45 minutes before your post on the forums so it is here too.

I do fault them for making GC the main source of this information. I will not expand on that here as I will let others form their own opinions on GC's.

I am not mad, simply asking for bullet points to be shared in the official forum. If they don't want to do that I will live.

IMO I think it is better to get feedback from as many people as possible and only providing this information via GC limits the audience, granted it might be the audiences choice to not watch the videos, however there is also a language barrier with solely doing video posts. Many people can read English, or run it thru a translate, way better then they can understand spoken English.

That’s a great point, Scuba. People from different countries- speaking and reading different languages are at a clear disadvantage with the videos. I’m not against the videos either- just thinking these forums should always be first priority.
    Sure trying new approaches is great and commendable but why not both. It’s certainly do able. Post vid, post bullet points. It doesn’t always have to be this or that. We re lucky enough to have a passionate fan base to transcribe for others just to share.
  • We definitely need transcripts (I personally don't like having to watch videos for information), but I doubt we'll get them. They're clearly doing this financially compensate the GCs. Those little ads add up. And are they annoying. Whether this "payment" in lieu of actual moola is to keep them from jumping ship to Strike Force or another game, I don't know. But if the goal is to provide info to the community (and not pay off the GCs), an accompanying text summary should be an obvious choice.
  • We definitely need transcripts (I personally don't like having to watch videos for information), but I doubt we'll get them. They're clearly doing this financially compensate the GCs. Those little ads add up. And are they annoying. Whether this "payment" in lieu of actual moola is to keep them from jumping ship to Strike Force or another game, I don't know. But if the goal is to provide info to the community (and not pay off the GCs), an accompanying text summary should be an obvious choice.

To me- wouldn’t it help the GCs more if there was a link to the vids within a bullet point posts??
    Here are the main ideas...
    Here’s the vid.
    Voila- info + views.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Count me in the decisively hate the immediate pop-up when I log in linking me to the GC video. This is blatant "I'll scratch your back; you scratch mine" and doesn't even attempt to hide the insidious favoritism shown to a portion of the player-base.

I refuse to watch those videos; another player said it best. Why should I help monotize somebody who spends between 10 and 20 minutes "breaking down" what I could read about and move on in a significantly decreased portion of time?

EA/CG's thought process seems to be like this...ok, sure. The players want to spend less time in game. We'll decrease the time for this. We'll decrease the time for that. We'll allow sims for this action, and automate this one.

In return, we'll spoon-feed information on the OFFICIAL forums, leave Reddit to get a segment as well so players have to go to two places for complete intel...but wait, that's still not enough.

We can't forget our "partners" so let's drive traffic to them through the game, so players have to spend the time they stopped spending in our game on learning how they're going to be playing the game going forward.

Everyone wins!

Just give us the complete information, via official channels, on the official forums. I don't want to watch talking heads, I don't want to read Reddit, I want one bloody place to visit and I don't and have never understood why that stopped being the forums.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • To me- wouldn’t it help the GCs more if there was a link to the vids within a bullet point posts??
    Here are the main ideas...
    Here’s the vid.
    Voila- info + views.

Possibly. Although, I know if I could get the info without having to watch, I wouldn't watch.

• JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Count me in the decisively hate the immediate pop-up when I log in linking me to the GC video. This is blatant "I'll scratch your back; you scratch mine" and doesn't even attempt to hide the insidious favoritism shown to a portion of the player-base.

I refuse to watch those videos; another player said it best. Why should I help monotize somebody who spends between 10 and 20 minutes "breaking down" what I could read about and move on in a significantly decreased portion of time?

EA/CG's thought process seems to be like this...ok, sure. The players want to spend less time in game. We'll decrease the time for this. We'll decrease the time for that. We'll allow sims for this action, and automate this one.

In return, we'll spoon-feed information on the OFFICIAL forums, leave Reddit to get a segment as well so players have to go to two places for complete intel...but wait, that's still not enough.

We can't forget our "partners" so let's drive traffic to them through the game, so players have to spend the time they stopped spending in our game on learning how they're going to be playing the game going forward.

Everyone wins!

Just give us the complete information, via official channels, on the official forums. I don't want to watch talking heads, I don't want to read Reddit, I want one bloody place to visit and I don't and have never understood why that stopped being the forums.

Oh good grief Charlie Brown. "Blatant favoritism?!?" Its not bribing a congressman. Some people make videos about a game they like. The makers of the game appreciate the free exposer they get from the videos, so they use them to help disseminate info in a way some people like. It's not an evil conspiracy.

And people go to all different places, so don't fault the devs for going where they are. Some people are on Reddit, but never the forum. Some people scan YouTube all the time, but rarely the forum. Some people only get info from guild mates on discord. Some troll the forum constantly. Everyone is different.

Having the info in text form for people who don't want to watch the videos is a nice idea. Having everything accessible from one location is smart. And I totally support those asking for that. But the nastiness is just silly.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    For reasons I will get into here I will not be forced to watch the GC video's for information.

I was patiently waiting for you to get into those reasons, turns out you probably forgot to type "not" in your first post...
    Now i'm even more curious to what these reasons are than i was before. I personally dislike the entire gamechanger program for various reasons, imo it would have been better if the youtubers stayed independent. Everything the gamechanger program does for them is only beneficial for them and not for their viewers, nor for the playerbase in my humble opinion.
    I've said it before, i hope they cancel the entire program. I'm sure those youtubers will still make great vids for their fans even without the promo material... uuh, i mean early access footage and other priviledges granted to them by ea/cg.
    Information should be handed down to the playerbase by ea/cg themselves at the same time for everyone. Youtubers can still make the same vids with the information available for their viewers who prefer the video format and their style of delivery over written text on the forum.
    Unfortunately for me not everyone shares this opinion and from ea/cg's and the youtubers' persepective the program makes total sence, so i doubt anything will change. Talking about change, wasn't the the original premise of the program that players/youtubers could actively help with offering a player's perspective on upcomming changes to the game beforehand so that the devs could potentially adjust accordingly?
    Oh well, it is what it is. No point in ranting any further about the program.

Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    Let Kyno be the community manager.
    Set it info in a certain cadence , which they kind of have now, unofficially.
    Example:
    Bossk event- date/type of event/abilities/zetas etc

Game changer video on the new toon.

Dev interviews - should be transcribed and posted here- always. This forum should always be the central station for information, something that we can always click back to and see. Add links to the videos.

Easy breezy :)

I dont think we need a transcript or even highlights, as long as most of the information gets here when the official release happens.

I would be fine with the gamechangers being the pre info hype, then the official information, then the event. That seems fine. Just not sure many agree with me on that point.

Count me as one who disagrees, and with good reason.

The internet in general has moved to video and audio sans transcript, which leaves out a portion of the population: the hearing impaired and deaf. Like me.

It is hard as hell for me to watch the videos. Closed captioning on YouTube is wildly inaccurate. I have to read instead of watch (when there is something interesting on screen to actually watch, which is rare), then try to translate what is being said into something that makes sense. I can watch the person on the video (often a pastime in which I am not at all interested) to lip-read IF they are on screen. Thus far, the developers have been audio only, and generally at lower quality audio than the game changers, which compounds the difficulty. I can’t see their faces in order to read lips. Don’t get me started on varying accents, because that makes it even harder.

I maintain the news server on our guild’s discord. I scrape the forums for useful data and deal with videos so our guildies don’t have to. I don’t mention to them how difficult it can be for me because I enjoy researching and writing, but videos are the bane of my existence. I know very well that player frustration gathering data contributes to burnout, and as an officer it is in my interest to reduce that so our players remain involved and effective. That means I have a difficult job with my disability.

My spouse is color blind, which affects playing many games negatively. SWGOH doesn’t suffer from that as much, which is great! We can play together! Getting information sans video about it is just a bear.

So yes, in YOUR opinion there does not need to be a transcript because *you do not physically need one*; congratulations on being fully abled in the hearing realm! Please just be aware that there are many players whose abilities, both physical and cognitive, are limited in using this method to gain information, and consider them when disseminating details.

(Tagging @CG_Carrie in case she finds this important enough to address with her team.)

@JaaiaLandis
    One of my dearest professors happens to be legally blind,

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/mp3-converter

Here is one of the more commonly used sites that allows you to turn any youtube video into an mp3. Which is what he does when we share content needed for his research.

I would imagine that this file could then also be turned into a transcript if needed using other sites that would be more accurate.
  • Depending on the presentation style, I tend to tune out of videos plus it's far easier to cherry pick specific information if it's written down.

Plus less "waffle" is always good.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    And people go to all different places, so don't fault the devs for going where they are. Some people are on Reddit, but never the forum. Some people scan YouTube all the time, but rarely the forum. Some people only get info from guild mates on discord. Some troll the forum constantly. Everyone is different.

That's all fine, but wouldn't you agree that the official forum is the one place where all the information ea/cg is willing to give us should be posted?
    While my previous post is negative towards the gamechangers program, no one is asking for the forum the be the exclusive source of information, just that all the information is atleast also posted on the forum. It being the official forum and all.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    words

The amusing part is that, not knowing me, you think I'm being nasty now. I'm just speaking logically and sharing my opinion on this action, which is clearly not shared alone. If you had your head in the sand, it'd be understandable if you thought there wasn't clear favoritism. You seem to be possessed of some intelligence in this regard however, so why you seem shocked at the direction of these diatribes is the questionable part. Especially since this sentiment is widely shared amongst the population, and it's not even hard to understand why.

Who gets information before anyone else? Who gets hand selected for a plane ride to headquarters and early access information weeks and months before anyone else?

It ain't you, bub. It ain't me. It sure ain't most of us.

Favoritism, whether you like it or not.

They scratch each other's backs and all get wealthier.

• I’m like you, I refuse to watch 10 minute videos by annoying people that contain 99% garbage that I don’t care about and 1% content I’m looking for hidden in the middle of the video. This is absolutely ridiculous. I’m not a child, I want to read these things.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    We need that gif kozi used to post frequently. With the Girl saying why can't we have both?

I agree that it is a reasonable request to post on the official forum first, but they have used Reddit for new information for a long time now. They won't change that.

It does make sense to have an accompanying word text with the video. Almost too much sense.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    They won't change it, you're right.

It doesn't make it any less dumb to force your players to visit multiple 3rd party sites for information.

If they wanted to be halfway decent to their playerbase, one of their forum people would be in charge of collecting and disseminating information released elsewhere into an official "Blue Tracker" or some such. Warcraft used to do that, and was bloody brilliant.

Another one of my unsolicited opinions: an ex poster's .gifs is exactly what we don't need this thread devolving into. There's good opinions being shared here for the Head Honchos to parse, and turning this into a lame meme battleground serves no purpose.

I'm glad that's done with.
  • Vinny_Vader_Vedi
    4626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    VagueNearAyeaye-max-1mb.gif
    Nebulous wrote: »
    We need that gif kozi used to post frequently. With the Girl saying why can't we have both?

I agree that it is a reasonable request to post on the official forum first, but they have used Reddit for new information for a long time now. They won't change that.

It does make sense to have an accompanying word text with the video. Almost too much sense.

• They won't change it, you're right.

It doesn't make it any less dumb to force your players to visit multiple 3rd party sites for information.

If they wanted to be halfway decent to their playerbase, one of their forum people would be in charge of collecting and disseminating information released elsewhere into an official "Blue Tracker" or some such. Warcraft used to do that, and was bloody brilliant.

Another one of my unsolicited opinions: an ex poster's .gifs is exactly what we don't need this thread devolving into. There's good opinions being shared here for the Head Honchos to parse, and turning this into a lame meme battleground serves no purpose.

I'm glad that's done with.

Sorry for the gif :( I’ll do better next time.
    But the subtext to all of this has been mentioned in the past. From twitter to reddit and now YouTube. Again I don’t mind the GCs at all. I’m a smithie d guy myself. But again in this age of excess why not both! Lolol
    Tbf maybe these discussions will lead to what most are asking for. Example- Ender asked Kozi to take out recruitment posts from “recent discussions” and it happened.

We re also still waiting on the response for the places of power event star requirements. It’s why I love the people here - ever watchful and notice everything.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Sorry for the gif :( I’ll do better next time.

You do you, mate. I'm just pet peeving today =D I think there's a difference in that though, and using it in lieu of a properly worded and contextualized debate. You did both :smile:

On topic to your reply: I wouldn't mind both. Ideally, they'd release an official post here alongside whatever was said on Reddit, and whatever these videos are. You don't want to watch Ahnold or Smithie or whoever crack jokes and play Arena for 15 minutes? Here's a synopsis from an Official, Paid CG employee with everything those guys are saying.

All you're missing is the attitude and atmosphere and humor (your mileage may vary) from these videos. Go watch if you enjoy.

But don't stick it right in my face where I can fat finger it accidentally, get taken out of the game, get YT loaded up, close it and repeat the process.

That's not too much to ask. Don't put it right there in front of me that you prefer other players. I don't care for that at all.
  • Sorry for the gif :( I’ll do better next time.

You do you, mate. I'm just pet peeving today =D I think there's a difference in that though, and using it in lieu of a properly worded and contextualized debate. You did both :smile:

On topic to your reply: I wouldn't mind both. Ideally, they'd release an official post here alongside whatever was said on Reddit, and whatever these videos are. You don't want to watch Ahnold or Smithie or whoever crack jokes and play Arena for 15 minutes? Here's a synopsis from an Official, Paid CG employee with everything those guys are saying.

All you're missing is the attitude and atmosphere and humor (your mileage may vary) from these videos. Go watch if you enjoy.

Absolutely. Options are the spice of life and should be here for SWGOH. As stated numerous times this is the official forum- this should be the main hub - everything else is a bonus for those that want it.

It’s pretty amazing though- the reliance of 3rd parties for this game.
    Imagine solely just playing the game. No forums, no discord, no swgoh.gg. Maybe it’s blissful and easier.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Back in the day when games were games, you got what you bought and you didn't even have to worry about DLC or microtransactions. It was good or it wasn't, lol.

You're takin' me back, mate. You're takin' me back.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

That's all fine, but wouldn't you agree that the official forum is the one place where all the information ea/cg is willing to give us should be posted?
    While my previous post is negative towards the gamechangers program, no one is asking for the forum the be the exclusive source of information, just that all the information is atleast also posted on the forum. It being the official forum and all.

I agree with that. And that's why in the post you quoted from I said...

Having the info in text form for people who don't want to watch the videos is a nice idea. Having everything accessible from one location is smart. And I totally support those asking for that.

So I think we actually agree.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    words

The amusing part is that, not knowing me, you think I'm being nasty now. I'm just speaking logically and sharing my opinion on this action, which is clearly not shared alone. If you had your head in the sand, it'd be understandable if you thought there wasn't clear favoritism. You seem to be possessed of some intelligence in this regard however, so why you seem shocked at the direction of these diatribes is the questionable part. Especially since this sentiment is widely shared amongst the population, and it's not even hard to understand why.

Who gets information before anyone else? Who gets hand selected for a plane ride to headquarters and early access information weeks and months before anyone else?

You sure seem to be getting your undergarments in a bunch over a giant nothing. I couldn't care less that they get a bit of advanced notice. Several of them aren't even completing heroic Sith raids yet, so that's sure doing them a ton of good.

They put in the work to make videos. Most of them were doing that before the GC program existed just because they like the game. CG noticed the work they were doing (which amounted to free adds for their product), and decided to partner with them. Yes, that is a mutually beneficial arrangement. So what? You talk like the GameChangers are illegally trafficking for some evil narcotics cartel. So very silly.

The GCs are not getting wealthy, and EA/CG would be wall papering their headquarters with hundred dollar bills without them. Readjust your tin foil hat, and relax a bit.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    words

To be fair, those gamechangers put a lot of work in. Each video takes a few hours to edit and they're all pretty active in maintaining their own discord servers, so any "favoritism" they're getting is earned
  • Eutus
    232 posts Member
    Yes please. Forum links to these videos with text details. Really really i understand some folks are illiterate, but i am not and would prefer to quickly read the info. But if for no other reason a dedicated section to the videos and the text details here on the forum would be spectacular for archival purposes.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    More words

Please continue to explain things to me I'm obviously too dumb to grasp. I need more help! I didn't know any of that!

My mind, the fog is lifting! The haziness is parting like the sea! I am being swayed by your derision, nay, apologies...explanations!!