So is this the way communications are going?

Replies

• This too shall pass.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    More words

Please continue to explain things to me I'm obviously too dumb to grasp. I need more help! I didn't know any of that!

My mind, the fog is lifting! The haziness is parting like the sea! I am being swayed by your derision, nay, apologies...explanations!!

We agree on that.
  • Athusk
    348 posts Member
    Agreed with all the points supporting posting a written version of the video updates.

I also understand that the gamechangers want to be promoted. But as mentioned prior, searching for the updates after the pop-ups in game makes is extremely difficult. I am not going to search through all the game changer YouTube channels just to find out the latest updates. I am also not going to subscribe to them all and have my notifications bombarded with every video they post.

My suggestion (if CG does want to keep video updates):
    - Create an official swgoh YouTube channel (if it hasn’t been created yet)
    - Upload all video updates on that singular channel

In eah video update, you can have the respective game changer plug their channels in the video itself and the description of the video. This way they can still promote themselves, while keeping all updates organized and more importantly easy to find. Additionally, if my intention is to just watch videos to get updates with the game, I will be able to do so by subscribing to said channel.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    This is intense.
  • Athusk wrote: »
    Agreed with all the points supporting posting a written version of the video updates.

I also understand that the gamechangers want to be promoted. But as mentioned prior, searching for the updates after the pop-ups in game makes is extremely difficult. I am not going to search through all the game changer YouTube channels just to find out the latest updates. I am also not going to subscribe to them all and have my notifications bombarded with every video they post.

In eah video update, you can have the respective game changer plug their channels in the video itself and the description of the video. This way they can still promote themselves, while keeping all updates organized and more importantly easy to find. Additionally, if my intention is to just watch videos to get updates with the game, I will be able to do so by subscribing to said channel.

I can actually get onboard with this suggestion. I would still very much prefer they release an official text synopsis alongside the video, which would make the entire thing more digestible. Video released under the SWGOH official umbrella, and the Content Update post for those who prefer this.

Make it happen, along with the Dev Tracker Thread that corals any official post on another medium and relates it here, and this whole thing has something for everyone.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    words

The amusing part is that, not knowing me, you think I'm being nasty now. I'm just speaking logically and sharing my opinion on this action, which is clearly not shared alone. If you had your head in the sand, it'd be understandable if you thought there wasn't clear favoritism. You seem to be possessed of some intelligence in this regard however, so why you seem shocked at the direction of these diatribes is the questionable part. Especially since this sentiment is widely shared amongst the population, and it's not even hard to understand why.

Who gets information before anyone else? Who gets hand selected for a plane ride to headquarters and early access information weeks and months before anyone else?

It ain't you, bub. It ain't me. It sure ain't most of us.

Favoritism, whether you like it or not.

They scratch each other's backs and all get wealthier.

You sure seem to be getting your undergarments in a bunch over a giant nothing. I couldn't care less that they get a bit of advanced notice. Several of them aren't even completing heroic Sith raids yet, so that's sure doing them a ton of good.

They put in the work to make videos. Most of them were doing that before the GC program existed just because they like the game. CG noticed the work they were doing (which amounted to free adds for their product), and decided to partner with them. Yes, that is a mutually beneficial arrangement. So what? You talk like the GameChangers are illegally trafficking for some evil narcotics cartel. So very silly.

The GCs are not getting wealthy, and EA/CG would be wall papering their headquarters with hundred dollar bills without them. Readjust your tin foil hat, and relax a bit.

Didn't it come out that one of the game changers who's guild finished the Sith raid, leaked the info to their guild early. I swear I saw posts about that somewhere in the forums.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Didn't it come out that one of the game changers who's guild finished the Sith raid, leaked the info to their guild early. I swear I saw posts about that somewhere in the forums.

Shhh, he told us earlier. It's not a conspiracy; nothing for us to worry our pretty little gullible minds over. Follow the finger, mate. Keep your eyes on the pointer and nothing else.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Athusk wrote: »

I can actually get onboard with this suggestion. I would still very much prefer they release an official text synopsis alongside the video, which would make the entire thing more digestible. Video released under the SWGOH official umbrella, and the Content Update post for those who prefer this.

Make it happen, along with the Dev Tracker Thread that corals any official post on another medium and relates it here, and this whole thing has something for everyone.

Those are absolutely reasonable, and polite requests.
    words

The amusing part is that, not knowing me, you think I'm being nasty now. I'm just speaking logically and sharing my opinion on this action, which is clearly not shared alone. If you had your head in the sand, it'd be understandable if you thought there wasn't clear favoritism. You seem to be possessed of some intelligence in this regard however, so why you seem shocked at the direction of these diatribes is the questionable part. Especially since this sentiment is widely shared amongst the population, and it's not even hard to understand why.

Who gets information before anyone else? Who gets hand selected for a plane ride to headquarters and early access information weeks and months before anyone else?

You sure seem to be getting your undergarments in a bunch over a giant nothing. I couldn't care less that they get a bit of advanced notice. Several of them aren't even completing heroic Sith raids yet, so that's sure doing them a ton of good.

They put in the work to make videos. Most of them were doing that before the GC program existed just because they like the game. CG noticed the work they were doing (which amounted to free adds for their product), and decided to partner with them. Yes, that is a mutually beneficial arrangement. So what? You talk like the GameChangers are illegally trafficking for some evil narcotics cartel. So very silly.

The GCs are not getting wealthy, and EA/CG would be wall papering their headquarters with hundred dollar bills without them. Readjust your tin foil hat, and relax a bit.

'I could have sworn I vaguely remember something.' That's an iron clad indictment if I've ever seen one. It was supposedly a beta tester that knew about the STHan exploit, and waited to share it with his guild... which is a rumor so far as I know, didn't involve the GameChangers, and was totally irrelevant, because it became common knowledge instantly, and every guild over a certain GP (with or without GCs or beta testers in them) completed their first HSR using that.

words

'I could have sworn I vaguely remember something.' That's an iron clad indictment if I've ever seen one. It was supposedly a beta tester that knew about the STHan exploit, and waited to share it with his guild... which is a rumor so far as I know, didn't involve the GameChangers, and was totally irrelevant, because it became common knowledge instantly, and every guild over a certain GP (with or without GCs or beta testers in them) completed their first HSR using that.

Didn't say vaguely. If you not going to use what I exactly said, you lose credibility in your argument
  • My own 0.02 - I dislike getting game info from youtube. Give me text, please. This is the official forum, please just officially state official game changes here that I can read. Thank you.

Officially yours... PV.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited April 2018

words

Didn't say vaguely. If you not going to use what I exactly said, you lose credibility in your argument

I didn't use these. " " I used these. ' '

And I inserted it because you were being vague. You 'swore you saw it somewhere', with no details, or proof. I said what I said, and meant it.

words

And I inserted it because you were being vague. You 'swore you saw it somewhere', with no details, or proof. I said what I said, and meant it.

Can't hear you anymore
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member

words

Can't hear you anymore

From what I've seen, smart move.

PySdNGa.jpg
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Most of the videos are not informative, just a waste of time, it would be more useful if those interviewers could post a summary page at the start of the video like Warrior or Arnold did.

Besides, they never show their faces, so its faceless interviews, I wonder whether they let their family members play this game and financially support this game like we have been doing.
  • I prefer the vids. I can listen to them on my way to work. Can’t read them as easy while driving.
  • Eutus
    232 posts Member
    9:30 am. I see a pop up with the words "faction synergies". My curiosity is peeked, i click it. Sorry kitty kats i dont have 23 minutes to watch a video with four commercials in it. Posts please.
  • I also dont like the popups, because usually when I see them I want to play the game and not switching to youtube. Also there are too many popups right now and even if I want to see a video its usually lost and I have to search. So what about an inbox message, so the video link is saved for some time instead of a popup?
  • There needs to be a post for all the changes, otherwise you have to spend an hour listening to similar questions and answers to find out all the changes and even then, they don't ask important questions like are they changing target lock so it isn't as important in battle?
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    +1 for written info, plus, stop with the ingame popups for those videos (at least make an option to disable them for people who dont like them)
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • To be fair, those gamechangers put a lot of work in. Each video takes a few hours to edit and they're all pretty active in maintaining their own discord servers, so any "favoritism" they're getting is earned

Hear, hear.

I just genuinely don't get why everyone thinks the fact that EA/CG is a business...and that EA Game Changers are running businesses is some grand, dark and hidden conspiracy. And that they've achieved some sort of Gnostic epiphany of peering beyond the veil to learn this esoteric and mystic truth.

EA/CG are businesses, desgined to make money. Game Changers do what they do to make money. Just like we all do. Everyone has to eat. There is no conspiracy, except in some people's minds...

• scuba
    14043 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    To be fair, those gamechangers put a lot of work in. Each video takes a few hours to edit and they're all pretty active in maintaining their own discord servers, so any "favoritism" they're getting is earned

Hear, hear.

I just genuinely don't get why everyone thinks the fact that EA/CG is a business...and that EA Game Changers are running businesses is some grand, dark and hidden conspiracy. And that they've achieved some sort of Gnostic epiphany of peering beyond the veil to learn this esoteric and mystic truth.

EA/CG are businesses, desgined to make money. Game Changers do what they do to make money. Just like we all do. Everyone has to eat. There is no conspiracy, except in some people's minds...

Sadly this thread seemed to spin into a GC <> CG conspiracy thread which was never my point.
    There have been many good points brought up about why CG should also be putting out notes and or highlights of the interviews. I am not asking to not do the interviews, just give us some written text.
    Just to summarize some of those big reasons @CG_Carrie
    • Personal preference to read rather than listening
    • Language barrier
    • Hearing imparied
  • The spirit of the new communication effort is great, but the execution is lousy.

Instead of wasting our time with YouTube videos nobody wants to watch, just say what’s happening. Or at least send out a parallel text message. I’ve tried watching several of the videos and have gotten nothing of value out of them.
  • ( @Kyno this response is to your last response to me but my post keeps having errors )

With respect, when discussing disabilities, it’s a good idea to strike “I would imagine” from your options as a reply. Of course you would imagine those things! So would disabled people! I know you did not intend to come across as condescending; not dealing with such a thing on a day to day basis insulates you from particular challenges inherent in these situations. I’ll fill you in here a bit on transcription software capabilities.

Transcription software often is expensive, is buggy or woefully inaccurate, does not do well with background noise, and does not handle multiple voices, such as in interviews. Siri, for instance, has a monster of a company behind it with insane access to superior quality technology and data for improvement and Siri still sucks. Add the wrench of peculiar vocabulary, and you have a real problem.

(Just for fun, if make a video of you saying the following words, upload to YouTube, and turn on closed captioning, it’s hilarious what the system comes up with! Calrissian, wookiee, geonosian, Tatooine, hAAT, sidious, palpatine, Hux, Kylo, Rey, organa, Holdo, Dameron, dagobah.)

There is a distinct reason why television systems still hire human closed caption transcriptionists, and even they are nowhere near perfect. Bigger podcasts have transcription done by volunteers. Dictation software is useful for transcriptions to a certain extent, but then one must go back and enter all the punctuation manually in one enormous run on paragraph. The multiple voice issue still applies. Tl;dr, this method is more time consuming, less accurate, and even less fun than the other method. Any worthwhile service certainly has associated costs. This does not address why the onus is on the person in question to handle accessibility issues for a company with the resources to handle this themselves, nor does it assist people who don’t speak the language spoken in the original video. Fortunately, free translation sites online are decent with written languages, assuming there is a clean and accurate transcript in the first place to translate from.

Aside from all that, I’m interested in the thought process behind your response; a person with a disability says “hey, this method of releasing information from a wealthy company whom I pay for a service is not really within my physical capabilities” and your suggestion is for the person already paying for the service to work more, pay more, and spend more time and resources on less than fulfilling tasks instead of considering that the corporation with worldwide renown and many millions of dollars a month in earnings just might have an intern to throw at the problem and be done with it for all their customers with this disability (as well as those with a preference for reading) at once.

I mentioned earlier that popular podcasts often have volunteer transcriptionists to assist their listeners with differing abilities. It’s entirely possible that someone with excellent hearing out there would like to take that on, but doesn’t know there is a need for such a thing. That’s why having these conversations is so important. This post is less just for you and more for everyone reading to have an opportunity to understand this issue a bit better, including video makers, developers, and fans running their own websites. If there’s no one talking about it, no one knows what is needed.

(EDITED TO ADD: sound quality and enunciation is everything in this situation as well. YouTube closed captioning handles Ahnald badly and Warrior well, for instance, due to different sound qualities and speaking habits.

Tagging @CG_Carrie in this reply as well, because now I’m extremely interested in any response from the devs.
  • Agreed.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Devs get slated for not communicating more so they start communicating more...and get slated for it.

Oh well.

If you don't like the videos then don't watch them maybe? I don't.

The videos are barely communication - and what little true content is in the videos is hardly worth sitting through a 15-20 minute video for. It's extremely inefficient - and it's really only a commercial with vague "information".

I agree with Scuba. If youtube infomercials are the new "information", it is yet another misstep in a rather long line of recent ones.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Miffed
    29 posts Member
    In addition to all that there is little of relevance in the videos. Things will different at some point in the future, but we can’t say exactly what or when or really anything.

Regularly saying very little in a long winded video where some of those participating come off as a bit clueless about the game isn’t doing anyone any favors.

How about we just communicate 1 thing really well.

Remember those Bounty Hunter change videos? How many more of these do we need?

They just make more questions and create expectations that are yet to be met.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    I’m totally fine if CG wants to release information via Game Changers but it should not be exclusive information! Any information should be at the minimum released together at their OFFICIAL FORUMS. (Preferably text format)

Maybe I’m just biased but I just don’t like some Game Changers because they get some game mechanics wrong but because of their influence, a lot of random Tom, Kitten and Hairy are quoting the GC misinformation to me like it’s some Bible.
  • Good Afternoon,

Can we potentially get a summarized thread of these videos that are being made in text? I don't have the patience to watch some guy playing the game with people talking in the background. It's distracting, I can barely follow the conversations, and I have learned nothing from any of these videos since they began except changes are coming. I don't know what changes are coming, I just can assume they are.

In short, I (as I am sure with many others) are clueless on what's to come. We need summaries, not transcripts or videos.

IMHO, It seems like a cheap tactic to boost some YouTubers view count versus sharing information with the community that everyone can digest. I see no other reason for this execution. You're not gaining new players from this, since the video is being promoted in the game and no one (who doesn't play the game) knows who CG Carrie and others are and aren't likely searching those keywords on YouTube/Google.

• There really is not much information in these videos. I know we all want all of the information in exactly the way that we like best, but even if they shared the information in these videos via text, it would essentially be, "things are changing in the future, here are some broad strokes of how it might, but of course, everything is subject to change." The best way to think of this information is as a, "sneak peak" for future content. When the content comes closer to launch, we will get text notice with a bunch of information on the official forum. It is really not worth getting worked up about not getting a scrap of info that might change.
  • Miffed wrote: »
    In addition to all that there is little of relevance in the videos. Things will different at some point in the future, but we can’t say exactly what or when or really anything.

Regularly saying very little in a long winded video where some of those participating come off as a bit clueless about the game isn’t doing anyone any favors.

How about we just communicate 1 thing really well.

Remember those Bounty Hunter change videos? How many more of these do we need?

They just make more questions and create expectations that are yet to be met.

This is pretty good.
    Want to boost communication - take one thing and put into a straightforward, well written, post. What was it Hemmingway said, "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know." You'll have the community spell bound, more or less... :)
    #AcolyteShootsTwice