Radio silence

Replies

• When the movie Episode 8 will be in theater, are they going to reveal new characters ?
  • Look, I'm happy they responded, but I'm gonna play devils advocate and pause premature celebration. At the moment weekly updates is a carrot dangling on a stick in front of us. It starts next week Friday so it's another week of silence, that's fine. But I'm reserving judgement until we actually receive the aforementioned weekly updates.

Have a great day guys.

I agree. Im all for optimistic outlooks, but i like to have realistic expectations on what communication and updates will be like in the future. I came across a post from November stating that they were working on a way to convert extra shards to something more beneficial. It took the 3 months to implement that. Look at the Q&A that was supposed to be so informative. It took several weeks to finally post the answers, and out of the hundreds of questions they answered 8 of them in a very vague way. We will see what happens next friday. If i were betting on it I would say there is a 35% chance of the weekly recap happening next friday. I predict a 10% chance to follow up the next friday with a 100% chance to apply anger up if the post is dodged.
  • GizOne
    150 posts Member
    Thanks for the weekly update, but I'm also suspicious about how evasive it will be.

Another thing I would like to see is a sticked post in the bug section with a recap of the acknowledged bugs. No need for the progress in fixing them (althought it would be great), just to let us know that you are working on that cooldown or Dooku or IG-100 bug (Jesse said you were doing testings before update ?)... And all in one place so it is easy to check things. Another benefit is to avoid multiple threads for already known bugs.

Thanks.
  • Darth_Malak
    577 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    So instead of a preview of what's coming up with the game, we got a preview of the next planned preview. I feel happy but also feel like I've just been conned...

but that's good enough for me

*puts down pitch fork*

All i read was: No Update next week

And yeah they are trolling hard: as you said 'Preview of an preview'
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    (Note: I'm responding to you here, JSA, and it's a harsh response, but not meant to be directed at you personally, there are many similar posts around that say pretty much the same thing, yours is just the most recent one I found.)
    Honestly, whether there are no weekly updates or daily updates...or hourly updates...this game is a longer-term play and people need to have patience.
    People have been patient. Very patient.
    This game was released in a beta state, full of bugs, lacking most features other similar games have. We were made many specific promises with regard to the pace of updates and bug fixes that have not happened. We were made representations with regard to communication that have not happened.
    Almost 4 months on, there's still less than an hour per day of actual gameplay, even though the game has taken in tens of millions of dollars in revenues. Communication slowed to a dribble.
    Other games update once a week -- this one we are lucky if it's once a month.
    Other games run bonus events and fun activities weekly or daily -- this one does nothing.
    The only priority seems to be revenue generation. Price increases, overpriced packs, new packs with $200 minimums, deliberate credit shortages to force people to buy credits.. this is what they have prioritized.
    No messages from the devs directly doesn't indicate anything negative especially about the game's viability.
    It has in other games in the past. But that's not the issue. The issue is the lack of effort put forth to keep people updated, to allow them to make long-term plans in a game that requires grinding, and the general lack of concern and consideration.
    This is a Star Wars / Disney title supported by EA / CG. The game isn't going anywhere anytime soon and we all see more content is in the game already, but it's going to take time.
    As others have pointed out in various threads, there have been many Star Wars games that have shut down after a short time. But once again, that's not the main issue here.

I swear, the gaming industry must be the only one in existence where customers spend THOUSANDS of dollars, are made promises that aren't carried through, are given the "mushroom treatment", and then told to "be patient".. and they accept it! Really quite amazing.
    I work for a software company. We don't ship beta software and pretend it's a finished product. When we have unhappy customers, we don't tell them to "be patient". When they find bugs, we don't put them in a long list and never tell them if or when they'll be fixed. When they ask for a feature we don't answer "well, maybe someday we'll do that but we have no idea if or when". When they ask what will be in the next version we don't say "oh there's so much exciting stuff coming, you are going to like it so much, I wish I could tell you!"
    What a load of horsehockey.
    I'm really tired of hearing all the fanboy laments about how hard the poor, poor development team has it because of us green meanie players. That too is a load of horsehockey. Gamers are the biggest bunch of pushovers around.
    I mean, look at this thread. We basically get no communication for weeks, no updates, nothing interesting going on. Jesse comes on and makes one post -- not actually saying anything, mind you, just promising to say stuff in the future! -- and everyone swoons like they've just found their soulmate or won the lottery.
    John Salera makes one post in a week and everyone acts like it's the second coming of Jesus **** who appeared to them personally to give their life meaning and value. Ridiculous.
    If anyone wants to know why these games overprice, underdeliver, and undercommunicate: it's because they can. Because no matter how much they raise prices while not adding content, people keep spending outrageous amounts of money. Because one post promising future communication is taken as a wonderful, amazing gesture, when it's what should have been happening already, and comparable to other promises in the past.
    Because people like me will get flamed for pointing out how easy these game developers actually have things in the context of business as a whole, by a bunch of lemmings who will happily gobble up whatever scraps get thrown to them under the table.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I hope so....
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Jesse comes on and makes one post -- not actually saying anything, mind you, just promising to say stuff in the future! -- and everyone swoons like they've just found their soulmate or won the lottery.
    John Salera makes one post in a week and everyone acts like it's the second coming of Jesus **** who appeared to them personally to give their life meaning and value. Ridiculous.

I think the main reason people are super positive whenever any dev posts is because they don't want to scare them away. I'm guilty of this quite a lot.

But I also directly attack them when they're here too, so I'm not that much of a greaser.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Jesse comes on and makes one post -- not actually saying anything, mind you, just promising to say stuff in the future! -- and everyone swoons like they've just found their soulmate or won the lottery.

Video Games it 's the new religion :D:D:o

• Look, I'm happy they responded, but I'm gonna play devils advocate and pause premature celebration. At the moment weekly updates is a carrot dangling on a stick in front of us. It starts next week Friday so it's another week of silence, that's fine. But I'm reserving judgement until we actually receive the aforementioned weekly updates.

Have a great day guys.

I agree. Im all for optimistic outlooks, but i like to have realistic expectations on what communication and updates will be like in the future. I came across a post from November stating that they were working on a way to convert extra shards to something more beneficial. It took the 3 months to implement that. Look at the Q&A that was supposed to be so informative. It took several weeks to finally post the answers, and out of the hundreds of questions they answered 8 of them in a very vague way. We will see what happens next friday. If i were betting on it I would say there is a 35% chance of the weekly recap happening next friday. I predict a 10% chance to follow up the next friday with a 100% chance to apply anger up if the post is dodged.

Well said, I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares these sentiments. It's not wrong to go against the grain.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    The bottom line is simple: I was looking for a new game in late November. I love Star Wars, this looked like it could be a good one, and I wanted to get in on the ground floor. I replaced the other main game I played with this one. I've spent now on the order of around $350 on this product in around 3.5 months. I don't want to be talked down to or ignored.
    The people who have spent 10x as much deserve it even less.
    People need to stop acting like they are doing us a favor every time they give us the slightest little thing, when we are the customers.
  • @Qeltar

We just have different expectations. I went in to this figuring a 6 month ramp up date for the game to get some legs. That's May or so. Dev communication or not, the game's been in idle for me probably since about mid December. I just get the enjoyment out of it daily that I can and have been taking is slow lately. I do my GW daily - after today I'll be at 101 completed as a Day 2(I think) hard launch start player. When the game adds more content and ramps back up I'll ramp up with it. I've just found these mobile games are always works in progress. They always evolve over time and have peaks and valleys in terms of fun / utility.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    @JohnnySteelAlpha - Probably a better approach to the game and to life in general than mine. But someone has to hold their feet to the fire and be the resident grouch and I guess that's my specialty. ;)
    I guess what frustrates me most is that there are so many little things they could be doing that don't take a lot of development time, that would give people things to do, and they don't do them. I made a big writeup with dozens of small improvements, many of which could have been done by now. John responded to the thread positively, and then none of it was actually used.
    I don't expect miracles. I'd just like to see some effort.
    A practice mode with no rewards -- how many people have asked for that? Easy to implement, it's the same code they use for arena, just stick it in events with random opponents and no rewards.
    Events.. why are there no events? Giveaways? Holiday specials? Nothing!
    Nobody is asking for the moon here. Just something that shows they actually value the ridiculous amounts of money we are paying.
    They are "phoning it in" while pulling in 6 figures a day in revenues. It's not right.
  • XCOM
    250 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The bottom line is simple: I was looking for a new game in late November. I love Star Wars, this looked like it could be a good one, and I wanted to get in on the ground floor. I replaced the other main game I played with this one. I've spent now on the order of around $350 on this product in around 3.5 months. I don't want to be talked down to or ignored.
    People need to stop acting like they are doing us a favor every time they give us the slightest little thing, when we are the customers.

Glad to see you finally came around... I remember being torched for suggesting that I and others had any rights/expectations in terms of digital content ownership/investment... I was told to just take and basically be glad it's given. Hmm... Ohh well, better late than never.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I haven't come around on anything. We don't have any legal rights. But that doesn't mean we have to act like lapdogs.
  • Plasmaj
    297 posts Member
    . But someone has to hold their feet to the fire and be the resident grouch and I guess that's my specialty. ;)
    This board certainly doesn't lack for grouches. You're just the most articulate :smile:
  • XCOM
    250 posts Member
    I haven't come around on anything. We don't have any legal rights. But that doesn't mean we have to act like lapdogs.

Well... Devil's advocate, they don't have to do anything. Not legally obligated... They didn't sign a contract, etc. It was always about doing the right thing! I happen to agree with you on this matter, just don't like the fact that you are a hypocrite... It's all about rights/promises when it's important to you.

"Why don't you try hunger strike." Is what you told me when I tried to suggest that there was some degree of expectations/responsibility to the consumer. And yet now you are ready to tear them to pieces again because this time it's important to you.

• Krey
    341 posts Member
    But someone has to hold their feet to the fire and be the resident grouch and I guess that's my specialty.

The difference between you can most other "grouches" is the you actually make decent arguments without decending into mean spirited ranting and personal attacks.

I work in the IT department of a billion dollar company, and my team is responsible for developing software and working with software vendors (ah..the glories of being in Middleware). And we would never accept being treated this way by a vendor, and we would never get away with treating our customers (other people in IT and business users) like this. It is unprofessional. And given the amount of money this single program is bringing in, they can afford to make time, whether that means hiring more people or whatever. Interns can take and compose notes.

But I do hope they are learning. And when they take a step in the right direction, I try to let them know. Thus my post about being happy about the weekly updates. I hope they are learning their lessons, and we will see what this new promise of weekly updates entails and if they follow through with it. It is sad that I have to say "if", but that's where we're at right now.

But don't ever think I am being a lapdog. I know how it should be, and I know this isn't it. It is obvious we are paying to be beta testers. The only difference is, in most of the beta programs I have been involved in, there was a lot more communication between the testers and the devlopers.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    @Krey - Thanks, and well-expressed yourself.
    I didn't mean to suggest that everyone who gave them positive feedback on their responses was a lapdog, that wasn't right.
  • Krey wrote: »
    But someone has to hold their feet to the fire and be the resident grouch and I guess that's my specialty.

The difference between you can most other "grouches" is the you actually make decent arguments without decending into mean spirited ranting and personal attacks.

I work in the IT department of a billion dollar company, and my team is responsible for developing software and working with software vendors (ah..the glories of being in Middleware). And we would never accept being treated this way by a vendor, and we would never get away with treating our customers (other people in IT and business users) like this. It is unprofessional. And given the amount of money this single program is bringing in, they can afford to make time, whether that means hiring more people or whatever. Interns can take and compose notes.

But I do hope they are learning. And when they take a step in the right direction, I try to let them know. Thus my post about being happy about the weekly updates. I hope they are learning their lessons, and we will see what this new promise of weekly updates entails and if they follow through with it. It is sad that I have to say "if", but that's where we're at right now.

But don't ever think I am being a lapdog. I know how it should be, and I know this isn't it. It is obvious we are paying to be beta testers. The only difference is, in most of the beta programs I have been involved in, there was a lot more communication between the testers and the devlopers.

The+ea+cycle+my+opinion+on+ea+is+probably+not_0254a1_4939384.jpg
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I think the next "big" update will say a lot about where things are headed.

EA/CG can either create a lot of warm fuzzy feelings from their current player base or alienate a lot of them, depending on what the next roll-out has under the hood.

If it's got some new content (and specifically content that non-whales can access), cleans up some bugs and maybe even makes some things more "reasonable" (either a fairly priced pack or a credit event that isn't actually worse, etc.) there is a good chance fences will be mended, faith restored and the forum flames will die down.

If, on the other hand, it's simply a cap level increase, a buff to GG, a nerf to GS and a new chromium-only toon. Well, let's just say it'll make the last few days on the forums look like a garden stroll.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    CronozNL wrote: »
    The amount of complaining is amazing around here. Better if I leave silently in the night!

You used to be one of the posters I looked forward to reading here. Now all you ever do is jump into thread after thread with fanboyish meta-complaints about other posters' complaints.
    Yes, this thread contains a complaint. It is a single complaint, politely-expressed, with a valid reason and a specific purpose. What is your endless flaming of other posters in thread after thread meant to achieve? Other than making it so I now am tempted to no longer read anything you post at all?
    Nobody here is asking for anything unreasonable. Just to not be left in the dark.
    Some of us have paid hundreds of dollars to this company in a short time. Some have paid thousands. The company represented to us that it would communicate regularly, and it is not living up to its end of the bargain.
    When the company does something people like, they get compliments. When they do the opposite, they get complaints. They have complete control over this. We have very little.

I do have better input, just not in the complain threads. I'm not always positive in replying but I do see the potential this game has to offer and I see improvements nevertheless.
    If you let go of all the complaining, the game gets more enjoyable.
    Also it's more the way complaints are being formulated than the complaint itself.

439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Krey wrote: »

HAhahaha! That cycle is exactly what my friends would do when a new COD was released. I played COD online for 5 or 6 years when they were run by EA/Activision i believe. The fixes for bugs were taking longer and longer as the new games came out and they catered to the "kids" that whined about this gun being OP or that ability being so OP that only noobs used it. I got tired of that cycle of hyping the game and releasing a broken ****, and repeat, so I decided to try Battlefield 3, an EA/Dice game with less whiney brats. BF3 had the same broken guns and same bugs as COD, and it took them just as long to fix them. In fact there are still huge bugs in BF3, but it was basically abandoned when BF4 came out. Im a ****. I bought BF4. I played it for a few weeks and eventually i couldnt play longer than 10 minutes without my PS3 restarting. I would spawn every time with no weapon and no way to attack. Everyone was invisible and i would constantly be killed until the system reset. That game is 2 years old and the same thing happens every time I load the game. That is how much EA cares about their games.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    DarthCyren wrote: »
    Rolf wrote: »
    HanSlowMo wrote: »
    My suggestion, hire one personn...the REAL conduit between their team and their player base. Have a meeting for an hour twice a week, take notes, let that person reveal things and get us excited. Ease some questions, or raise some concerns on balance...EVEN if they don't agree. Just something. Heck, even just give a post once a week on upcoming things. SOOOO many other games do this...
    There are many people here who would do this for free.
    I have a software engineering background, work professionally in QA, and have an MBA from a top school. I'd do it for free. And I'd do it well and gladly.
    I'd even volunteer to give up playing the game, despite enjoying playing it still, if that were required to avoid accusations that I were getting an unfair advantage.
    This is just not important to them. I'm sorry, I know people hate "complaining", but it is what it is. People and companies take actions based on what they value.
    I'd hire you, if I were them. :)

I agree, we're not really asking for that much here. This is the sort of thing I'd write:

Hey GOH fans!
    Thanks for all the continued interest and high traffic on the forums! Here's the "State of the Game" for now:
    -We're working hard on our next release patch, target mid-April. We've got some bug fixes coming, some Quality-of-Life improvements (moving the auto button away from the options cog), and look out for a new character! (Spoiler: He's blue with red eyes.) [Ok, that's just wishful thinking on my part.] We're also looking at possibly revamping how defense works, stay tuned for more info! Advance patch notes will be posted when we're closer to launch.

-Looking toward the future, our next planned table content opening will be [ships/guilds/live PvP/gear customization]. We can't give too many details yet as there's still lots of work to do, but we're hoping to get this up and running by [May, Summer, Fall]. There should also be a companion event for Yoda soon.

To some of the more talked-about topics here on the forum:
    -The level cap raise [has been postponed/is planned to happen]. We're targeting [next week, next month, mid-summer], and will fine-tune the date release as we know more.
    -We're still working on the answers to the Q&A thread from way back. We know how important this is to you, and we're committing to getting you the info you asked for. We're setting ourselves a hard target of [date] to have the replies done, and we're going to work hard to meet that.

See? Wasn't that hard!

I would weep in joy if a developer gave us that kind of post. In fact, I welcome them to just copy and paste that and provide those details.

This is exactly how they made their patch notes last time. Remember the backlash it got?
    You get positive replies, if a dev copies it it will be flooded by negativity and complaints shortly after.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Krey wrote: »

Yeah...I have seen this one before. The thing is, this and Mass Effect (do not get me started on ME3) are about the only 2 EA games I play. I keep waiting for them to put out something Star Wars related that is worth playing (SW:Battlefront just isn't my thing), and this is as close as I have come. Longing for another KOTOR...and that MMO doesn't count. I enjoyed some of the story elements, but that game could have been so much more as a single player game.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    If they just gave us more to do to waste our time we would not have the time to complain/rant/praise/joke in the forum.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    CronozNL wrote: »
    This is exactly how they made their patch notes last time. Remember the backlash it got?
    You get positive replies, if a dev copies it it will be flooded by negativity and complaints shortly after.
    If they make changes that people like, they get positive feedback. If they make changes that people do not, they get negative feedback.
    If they make hidden changes that have a major impact and don't appear in the patch notes at all, they get even more negative feedback. That's mostly what happened last time.
    That's how it works in business.
    So what's your suggestion? They should never release patch notes because they might get some criticism? Maybe they could instead make more accurate patch notes, and make changes to the product that paying customers like?
    Nah, let's just make lots of excuses. The poor fragile darlings can't possibly handle some negative responses to the glorious tablets of wisdom being handed down from the mountain. Sycophants like yourself never cease to amaze me.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member

Very well said sir. I am in the same situation. I am now unfortunately looking for a new game though (which I found and love) as I have no faith left in EA/CG at this point. I am the type of person who only plays one game at a time, and there just isn't enough content here for my play style.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »
    If they just gave us more to do to waste our time we would not have the time to complain/rant/praise/joke in the forum.

Hit the nail perfectly.
    {RotE}
  • LaLiam wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

Hit the nail perfectly.

That is actually a very interesting statement. I think the majority of people that post here enjoy the game and want a little more. they want to know whats next. That's the only reason i Joined. I wanted to know when the update was coming out and what it entailed. but i saw all the other people talking about the game it gave me a way to talk about the game without boring my friends and family that couldnt care less. I never expected to get into conversations, arguments, or just general laughs. It was a result of the search for more. And its fun to see nerds heads implode sometimes.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    @Widget_gaget
    I see what you mean, and to an extent I agree- what I think is acurate though is that threads like this where we are specifically complaining about the awful communication and to an extent care put into what the consumer wants. Maybe CG are deliberately making this a product orientated game (i.e the way they want it made rather than suggestions from us).
    I feel though that I'd rather spend time right now actually playing goh, rather than speculating for days-weeks on end with no real direction for the game. I love search for more, I joined a guild, i made mates; what I want though is more gameplay at this point.
    {RotE}