Can someone explain the difference between a thrawn lead vs palp lead

Prev1
Wardai
252 posts Member
I don’t have EP but I’m just wondering what the differences are on offence/defense. Would EP be better overall lead with the potency?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    They are a world of difference. Palp lead makes all empire/sith have no issues with potency, then the heals and TM gain really help solidify the team.

honestly Thrawn lead would be viable and should be the perfect counter to this palp meta, but they gave him the added skill and the AI spams it. all that does against palp is feed them TM.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    So it’s terrible so on defense if I run thrawn lead. Just working towards first zeta/prepping for palp event to throw him in, just do like running thrawn lead for the ability to get culling blade back early sometimes (I know that’s not how it should be used), the dispels in debuffs.
  • Exactly, Thrawn lead works reasonably well on offence vs any debuff-heavy team but on defence the AI goes crazy and spams the special ability thrawn's lead gives, which wastes turns and also feeds a zPalp team TM.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Thrawn doesn't fall on defense anymore than any other team. I left off in the 30s yesterday and about 24 hrs later was in the 40s so probably lost one battle on defense. When I got back on offense I made it to 13.

Thrawn, if fast enough, easily beats palp lead.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Thrawn doesn't fall on defense anymore than any other team. I left off in the 30s yesterday and about 24 hrs later was in the 40s so probably lost one battle on defense. When I got back on offense I made it to 13.

Are you running ep/what team, I dropped about 200 but I’m guessing I need better mods all around
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

Interesting. Do many on your shard have zPalp? It used to be fairly common on my shard to use Thrawn lead to climb but once people started putting the zeta on Palp's lead, it's too much of a liability - one time I ended up dropping while trying to climb because I was such a target.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    lots of palps/ns/Phoenix/some weird variants with double kylos and boba but I’m sitting around 500 atm (I joined around 2000). Not many zpalps around me but the higher I climb the top 50 is dominated by palp teams.

That falling 200 happened once most of the time it varies between 100-150
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Interesting. Do many on your shard have zPalp? It used to be fairly common on my shard to use Thrawn lead to climb but once people started putting the zeta on Palp's lead, it's too much of a liability - one time I ended up dropping while trying to climb because I was such a target.

My shard is probably 40% zzpalp. I run the only Thrawn lead in the top 50. Been that way for months.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited April 2018

My shard is probably 40% zzpalp. I run the only Thrawn lead in the top 50. Been that way for months.

I'm intrigued that you can hold. Thrawn leads are easy stepping stones for me, even zThrawn. Haven't faced any zzThrawn yet, shard is from Dec so most of us only have one zeta.
    Post edited by FailingCrab on
  • Palp gives TM when you inflict a debuff. Thrawn gives TM when you suffer a debuff.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Random9 wrote: »
    Palp gives TM when you inflict a debuff. Thrawn gives TM when you suffer a debuff.

Yes, the main problem is that under thrawn lead they will waste that TM to cleans with his special leader ability and give them more TM as things are cleansed.
  • I, too, have a little anecdotal evidence. I run Thrawn lead (no zPalp yet), and the one time I switch to EP lead I fell like a stone compared to how was holding with Thrawn lead. Maybe I switch when I zeta EP, but for now Thrawn simply holds better.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • The Thrawn-lead AI is just... bad. It makes them an easy stepping stone for my zeta Palpatine team--which makes up something like 75% of the top 100 of my shard right now--but I'm curious to try it, considering I can only get my Vader to 200 at the moment (well, while preserving Thrawn at 233); I know, I need to up my mod game.

Maybe I'll give it a go tonight, and report back (though if my rank keeps falling--so far I've gone from 33 to 98--it will probably be better to stick with Palpatine on the climb).
  • The Thrawn-lead AI is just... bad. It makes them an easy stepping stone for my zeta Palpatine team--which makes up something like 75% of the top 100 of my shard right now--but I'm curious to try it, considering I can only get my Vader to 200 at the moment (well, while preserving Thrawn at 233); I know, I need to up my mod game.

Maybe I'll give it a go tonight, and report back (though if my rank keeps falling--so far I've gone from 33 to 98--it will probably be better to stick with Palpatine on the climb).

My shard has plenty of EPs at the top, but I don't think many of them are zeta'd yet. I'm sure that will change things.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    I can't even find a Thrawn lead to fight.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    I normally get the palp down before he makes a move atm, my thrawn is 210, Vader is 138, only got one speed arrow so far. Thing is I’m dropping 100-200 overnight (don’t seem to drop below 700). Been seeing a couple of wiggs/lando/st Han teams and I normally focus those atm.
  • Maybe I'll give it a go tonight, and report back (though if my rank keeps falling--so far I've gone from 33 to 98--it will probably be better to stick with Palpatine on the climb).

Well, I fell to 117 and tried swapping to a Thrawn lead against one of the rival Palpatine teams on my way up only to wind up losing quite badly. Tried again with Palpatine as lead and knocked them out rather easily--it's probably because neither Sion or KRU benefit from Thrawn's leadership; if I had ShT or DT arena ready it might be a different story--so I'll be sticking to my Palpatine in the time being.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

I'm intrigued that you can hold. Thrawn leads are easy stepping stones for me, even zThrawn. Haven't faced any zzThrawn yet, shard is from Dec so most of us only have one zeta.

I've been around a bit longer and all squads in the top 50 have pretty much every zeta available and g12 is the norm. Not saying I never drop, but I am familiar with others in my shard and watch them drop at least as far as I do.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Random9 wrote: »
    Palp gives TM when you inflict a debuff. Thrawn gives TM when you suffer a debuff.

Yes, the main problem is that under thrawn lead they will waste that TM to cleans with his special leader ability and give them more TM as things are cleansed.

My Thrawn outruns every palp, and a lot of vaders... I swap TM with Rex (yes this does give a little TM to enemy), then use Rex ten up. Everyone on both sides then pretty much have full TM but with ten up palp wastes his aoe and never gets the TM/stun train moving.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Well, I fell to 117 and tried swapping to a Thrawn lead against one of the rival Palpatine teams on my way up only to wind up losing quite badly. Tried again with Palpatine as lead and knocked them out rather easily--it's probably because neither Sion or KRU benefit from Thrawn's leadership; if I had ShT or DT arena ready it might be a different story--so I'll be sticking to my Palpatine in the time being.

Yeah DT is very helpful by increasing cooldowns. It stops palp's stuns and slows down DN. Thrawn is also quite slow, so if you don't have the mods or some way to make sure he goes first, it won't work.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    So is my thrawn meant to be faster than my vader? My thrawn normally goes first, fractures a tank/palp/big hitter then vader goes with force crush?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Usually best to have Thrawn go first because then you have option to swap with anyone. I don't even use vader with my Thrawn squad. You mentioned no DT or shore. Do you have tarkin, rex, or nihilus?
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I run thrawn lead/tarkin/vader/tfp/st

I have rex 6*and nihlus 3* rex is g7 and nihlus is g8 atm. My only speed arrow is on thrawn atm.

Edit: checked gear on nihlus/rex
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    You can try using Thrawn's first move to swap TM with rex who then does his tenacity up special. Then fracture tank, and use nihulus to reduce their cool downs. If you can take out palp before he can aoe stun you, you will probably win. Tarkin is good for buying a little more time with his tmr. Might look for enemies that don't have palp unique zeta. They'll go down even faster.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Just a heads up, idk if there are JTR on your shard yet, but this doesn't work well against them. Cls is tricky also (I use both shore and stormtrooper vs them).
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    JTR were only obtained by whales and I'm sitting around 500 so it's ns/phoenix/rebels/empire and some weird hybrid team.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I've never seen phx in arena but might work. For NS use any aoe troopers you have (snow, magma, starck, veers) but you really want shore or another healer for them.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Well I really want shore, still have to level up a little more, and troopers is a side project for later on as I need strack and veers but I think cls is a bigger goal. Plus I heard troopers need veers zeta for them to work?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Nah, veers zeta is good for p4 of tank raid. Anywhere else I usually us thrawn lead. Lots of better zetas to get first. And yeah definitely go for cls.