Sion & Nihilus in Arena

FailingCrab
1155 posts Member
edited May 2018
https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/

Looking for a bit of help with my arena squad. I'm in a December 2017 shard and am finishing top 20 (just about) with zEP/Vader/Thrawn/TFP/Tarkin. It works OK on offence but clearly I'm going to need a tankier setup. My current plan is to put Sion and Nihilus in place of Tarkin and TFP.

I have Sion 4* but I'm only 34/50 on Nihilus. I'm also farming shore (18/50) - only hit 85 a few days ago.
Most of the people running Sion/Nihilus/Shore around me are whales at 7* G12 :(

I understand Sion is considered arena viable at 4* but at what star count and gear level would Nihilus be considered viable?

What do people think I should do? If Nihilus needs 7* to be effective I think I'll put shore in as a placeholder once I unlock him. I also considered Sith Trooper but there's so much else I need to do with my Cantina energy.
Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
Post edited by FailingCrab on

Replies

• ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi @FailingCrab :)

Nihilus is viable at 4* as long as he's properly geared (at least 10~11) and modded (Speed & Protection).
    The Zeta on his Unique can help too but I'm not sure whether it is worth it for you.
    All of this depends greatly on your adversaries in Arena though.
  • Nema
    136 posts Member
    I'm running dn and Sion in my rex arena team. I haven't moved in 2 days. Just sat in 16th place lol.
  • jursllla
    48 posts Member
    Hye!

I started play dec 2017 also.
    I been farming my **** of to get DN, and been slowly buying Sion shard in shipments. I also farm shore/reaper (50 extra refresh for 16 battles each day). I started with phoenix team and got palp and thrawn of that and then just unlocked Vader from the achivments. I been buying zeta materials from fleet store and managed to add two zetas to my team (palp leader, sion unique). I am dropping a bit on defence mainly couse its 15 realy good teams on my shard and human brain is smarter then AI. I feel Sion/DN is okey on defence but sickly good in offense.

I face mainly whales nightsister teams with better gear and mods for the top spots and thats why i farm shoretrooper to counter plauge from enemy talzins whos been bugging me for 3 months.

Your setup depends on enemies. TFP Tarkin Shore Thrawn Palp is realy strong vs nightsisters, while DN+sion vader combo good againt other darkside teams and so on.

https://swgoh.gg/u/jursllla/
  • Naminef
    34 posts Member
    Sion is tanky enough if you have him geared up inside a Palp squad. There seemed to be a bigger difference between 4 stars and 5 stars in terms of Sion being able to take some punishment. You need to get him geared up if you want to use him in the arena though.

As for Nihilus, farm him and throw him in later. He's a very nice compliment to Sion and he's useful for more than a punching bag(unlike Shore).

My squad doesn't move much anymore and I'm running EP, DN, DV, Sion and Thrawn in a Dec 2015 shard
  • Naminef
    34 posts Member
    jursllla wrote: »
    Hye!

I face mainly whales nightsister teams with better gear and mods for the top spots and thats why i farm shoretrooper to counter plauge from enemy talzins whos been bugging me for 3 months.

https://swgoh.gg/u/jursllla/

EP, Vader and Sion plus 2(preferably DN and Thrawn) will shred NS teams pretty much every time. NS is all about being able to hit all of them at the same time(Sith excels there) and debuffing(Sion).
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    @Naminef so you're suggesting Sion's worth including even without Nihilus? I had kind of thought the two needed to be together, maybe I'll try gearing up Sion now.

Top of my arena is mostly zEP leads, a few CLS/R2/Chaze/RHan and some oddities (one Rex, one ZMaul etc). Haven't seen any NS this high up but if I drop to the 40s and have to climb I come across one or two.

@jursllla Nice squad! That's what I'm working towards but you're far, far ahead of me. Glad to see it holding so well. I haven't bought any zetas from fleet store yet because I've been focusing on ships, but I'm comfortably holding 2 so maybe I can afford to divert attention for a bit.
  • Naminef
    34 posts Member
    @Naminef so you're suggesting Sion's worth including even without Nihilus? I had kind of thought the two needed to be together, maybe I'll try gearing up Sion now.

If you're looking to eventually get DN into your squad, then yes. Sion is useful once geared. I haven't even gotten his zeta yet and he's a load to deal with even at 6*. Being able to wipe out all of the other team's buffs at once is extremely powerful. Having that ability in a tank is just that much better. Having him at 6* now, I can tell you that I wouldn't use him in arena until he's 5*. In your shard, you should be able to get away with having him in at 4*.

Throw him in once you have some gear on him and get Nihilus in your squad down the line. He's worth it.
  • jursllla
    48 posts Member

Top of my arena is mostly zEP leads, a few CLS/R2/Chaze/RHan and some oddities (one Rex, one ZMaul etc). Haven't seen any NS this high up but if I drop to the 40s and have to climb I come across one or two.

@jursllla Nice squad! That's what I'm working towards but you're far, far ahead of me. Glad to see it holding so well. I haven't bought any zetas from fleet store yet because I've been focusing on ships, but I'm comfortably holding 2 so maybe I can afford to divert attention for a bit.

Thanks, that team is pretty easy to get. Now in 4-8may events you get free DN shards also for darkside battles. Both sion and DN are arena ready at like 4* annhiliate and aoe dispel. But put gear on em palp,vader,thrawn you get from phoenix who are very easy to get.
  • I highly suggest shore trooper. I am not a big fan of Sion or nihilis. I suggest unlocking the shore trooper gear him up, mod him out, and replace TFP with the shore trooper.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    I highly suggest shore trooper. I am not a big fan of Sion or nihilis. I suggest unlocking the shore trooper gear him up, mod him out, and replace TFP with the shore trooper.

I was also thinking of perhaps using zEP/Vader/DN/Sion/Shore to keep the focus off Palp. Thoughts?
  • Naminef
    34 posts Member
    I highly suggest shore trooper. I am not a big fan of Sion or nihilis. I suggest unlocking the shore trooper gear him up, mod him out, and replace TFP with the shore trooper.

I was also thinking of perhaps using zEP/Vader/DN/Sion/Shore to keep the focus off Palp. Thoughts?

That could work, but you'll be limited by the damage that you can inflict. Rex and rebel teams might give you issues with that much tanking and damage that is limited. Personally, I would pick one tank or the other and get either someone to do big damage or to manipulate buffs or turn meter.