Will Arena Meta always be the yardstick?

I have watched and read for a lot longer then I have posted. It seems to me, most players here measure worth by it's viability in the Arena. Will this always be true? Is it even true now or am I misunderstanding?

Replies

• CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Nope. I have the best average arena rank in my guild but my overall contribution is only top 20%
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kinda, it's just old hat. There were really only 2 measures of a toons "worth" for a long time. Arena and raids. If they were worthy in either of those they could probably hold their own in anything else that was around i.e. GW.

Now we have more game modes, but it still holds true that if a team comp is good in arena then it will help other places too. Arena translates almost directly to TW and slightly less but also TBs.

I think this relative relation to meta (past, present, and future) is just one of the points that many players are committed to so it will "always come up". Like it, love it, loath it, arena is something almost everyone will have an eye on. It's also a topic of usefulness, the more points a toon hits the more everyone loves them. Best investment toons will help you do better in arena (meta measuring stick) but also have used in other game modes.
  • Is it fair to say that at inception, some heroes are created that will have little or no future in the Arena?
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    I think that's a fair assumption. Look at the BH rework - clearly focused on improving their performance in PvE and not arena.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Is it fair to say that at inception, some heroes are created that will have little or no future in the Arena?

Correct and they have event stated that when they introduce a new toons they "know" or have a plan about where they will be useful.
  • Minowara
    536 posts Member
    I think that's a fair assumption. Look at the BH rework - clearly focused on improving their performance in PvE and not arena.

The question though is where will they be useful? If they are indeed PVE focused (I intend to try to break that), is it just the DS TB? If so, that's not enough to justify starring and gearing on its own.

I agree with Kyno that the worth of toons is judged by arena and raids. If characters are not good in either of those two facets, they are simply unappealing, because there are enough characters that ARE good at one of those two game modes that are good in the others too.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    It's a yardstick.

Some like to use it. Others don't.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    imo people sometimes underestimate toons that aren't well suited for arena, but do really increase "roster value" ( couldn't find a better word for it). But like others have said, generally speaking toons worth their salt in arena are pretty good in other game modes aswell.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Squad Arena is still the biggest source of crystal income. If and when another game mode pays out more, then maybe the standard of measure will change.
  • Yes. Arena is.