What is the exchange rate used for currency conversion?

Hryme
5 posts Member
I noticed that apparantly the Vault of Crystals sell for 100 usd. But my ingame store uses my local currency, where the exchange rate is today 1 USD is 8.12 NOK. The price of a Cault of Crystals for me is 1090 NOK, when it should be around 812 NOK if you followed a reasonable currency conversion rate. So what is going on here?

I will not spend a dime more on the game now that I realized it is a 20 percent price markup just because I don't live in the US.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    that is not set by them, FYI. these rates are based on the standard method and it controlled by your OS. there is an internet currency exchange rates and i believe they use that, but it is also not updated live, i think its done periodically.
  • Hryme
    5 posts Member
    How can it be so different from the exchange rate? Maybe there is some kind of sales tax involved?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    that is possible, i'm not sure on all the details.
  • Hryme
    5 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    that is not set by them, FYI. these rates are based on the standard method and it controlled by your OS. there is an internet currency exchange rates and i believe they use that, but it is also not updated live, i think its done periodically.

That is not actually true. According to this https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/billing_admin they have ways to control prices for every region. Of course they can let Google do it automatically, but somehow I get a feeling EA is a bit more hands on in their pricing policy.

• FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    if I want to spend I have to spend $1.37 for every $1 an American would. My experience is literally everything is more expensive here though so I'm used to it.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Hryme wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

That is not actually true. According to this https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/billing_admin they have ways to control prices for every region. Of course they can let Google do it automatically, but somehow I get a feeling EA is a bit more hands on in their pricing policy.

From my understanding the last time we had an issue on crystal prices. no they do not control the prices. but sure you have a feeling. :wink:

but yes i didn't realize they could control that, my bad.
  • Vorgen
    254 posts Member
    How can it be so different from the exchange rate? Maybe there is some kind of sales tax involved?

You live in the eu and you don’t know this thing called VAT?
  • Hryme
    5 posts Member
    I would like an explanation why the prices are so high in my region compared to the US thanks. And it is something they have control over.
  • Hryme
    5 posts Member
    I am not in EU. The US have no sales tax?
  • Hryme
    5 posts Member
    After some researching I found out that Google is responsible for charging sales tax from my country, and that is probably added to the US price. Ok, question answered.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

We do. When I would buy the crystal subscription pack for $9.99, I was charged $11.84. Sales tax is added to the "printed" price.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

We do. When I would buy the crystal subscription pack for $9.99, I was charged $11.84. Sales tax is added to the "printed" price.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. AFAIK I only end up paying the advertised price (UK)
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • UdalCuain
    5009 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

That's interesting, I didn't know that. AFAIK I only end up paying the advertised price (UK)

We do, the VAT is included in the price. Shown on Google play receipts
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm guessing you don't like alcoholic beverages either for the same reason? ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!