An idea to resolve the uselessness of potency and tenacity

Gannon
1619 posts Member
As it stands, as the moderators have explained it in previous posts, the chance to resist an effect = tenacity- potency with a minimum cap of 15% resist chance. Considering that most modded and geared characters will have far more potency than tenacity, it makes the tenacity stats completely useless unless you push it past 100%, and will generally always end with the same cap of 15% resist chance (Thanks, Palpatine!).

So here's an idea.. take the potency stat in game.. and move your decimal over one! now rather than having a 130% potency Palp vs a 32 tenacity unit , it will be 32-13=19% chance to resist.

When you figure that the lowest tenacity possible is 15, and the highest average potency is around 130 or so under Palp lead (15-13=2% resist chance.) THAT SEEMS LOW, RIGHT? But not really, as you should never have a situation where a base tenacity unit (so ungeared) is facing that high level potency of anyway. alternatively, if you have 60 tenacity against a 40 potency unit, you would see a clear difference, and the scale of resist chance would actually exist (unlike the current setup of 15% resist chance with 0-100 tenacity)

This minor change could drastically change the usefulness of both potency and tenacity, and potentially even begin to break the "speed over everything" theme in the current meta teams.

The best part is, the ONLY change would be moving the decimal place on the potency stat when it passes through the tenacity/potency check, and the display everyone sees could even remain the same. It would make potency and tenacity actually play a role in how the game is played.

So test it out, run some numbers.. and you'll see how much more effectively that would play out.

THANKS!

Replies

• Hellios
    43 posts Member
    +1
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    i don't like it at all and here's why.
    • it will make potency almost useless instead of tenacity being almost useless. The difference between a 130% potency palp and 40% potency han solo trying to stun a 30% tenacity character will be 9%. That's 3 times as much potency for a measely 9% increase in the chance to debuff. Trippling the tenacity however does result in a much higher chance to resist. 17/26% to resist at 30% tenacity and 77/86% to resist at 90% tenacity vs that same palp and han. Obviously still a very small difference between the 40% and 130% potency attackers.
    • It will also result in more resists. 130% potency is ALOT, yet it already results in a lower debuff chance vs a 30% tenacity character (very common) with your suggested change than how it is currently. (19% vs 15%) So for characters with lower potency and/or facing higher tenacity characters it's even worse, mainly due to the higher tenacity (see previous point). Slap a tenacity cross and tenacity set on a character and you're gonna resist 50% pretty easily vs the majority of the characters/teams.
    • It can lead to characters being immune to resistable debuffs regardless of the amount of potency the attacker has.
    Those 3 reasons make it an undesirable change imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    i don't like it at all and here's why.
    • it will make potency almost useless instead of tenacity being almost useless. The difference between a 130% potency palp and 40% potency han solo trying to stun a 30% tenacity character will be 9%. That's 3 times as much potency for a measely 9% increase in the chance to debuff. Trippling the tenacity however does result in a much higher chance to resist. 17/26% to resist at 30% tenacity and 77/86% to resist at 90% tenacity vs that same palp and han. Obviously still a very small difference between the 40% and 130% potency attackers.
    • It will also result in more resists. 130% potency is ALOT, yet it already results in a lower debuff chance vs a 30% tenacity character (very common) with your suggested change than how it is currently. (19% vs 15%) So for characters with lower potency and/or facing higher tenacity characters it's even worse, mainly due to the higher tenacity (see previous point). Slap a tenacity cross and tenacity set on a character and you're gonna resist 50% pretty easily vs the majority of the characters/teams.
    • It can lead to characters being immune to resistable debuffs regardless of the amount of potency the attacker has.
    Those 3 reasons make it an undesirable change imo.

I don't disagree with your reasons, but that was my point. Currently, very few people mod for or even consider potency and tenacity, as potency is a much more common secondary mod stat, with much higher values, and so generally potency will overshadow tenacity for most units. (resulting in a 15% resist chance in most cases)
    What I mean is that this idea would be a use for both, and yes, tenacity would have much more application, but this would result in others modding for potency to counteract it (better than all speed mods tho). Currently my highest potency toon is around 130, my highest tenacity is 70. But say they did change it, a 70 tenacity toon vs a 60% potency toon would be a 64% resist chance, far from irresistible, but a major improvement.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Gannon wrote: »
    Currently my highest potency toon is around 130, my highest tenacity is 70. But say they did change it, a 70 tenacity toon vs a 60% potency toon would be a 64% resist chance, far from irresistible, but a major improvement.

A major improvement to what exactly?
    In my opinion having reasonably modded toons be resisted more than 50% of the time vs equally reasonably modded toons sucks. So by "fixing" the issue with potency and tenacity mods you're actually making the game less fun to play.
    PvE it does pay off to mod for potency and in some cases it even pays off to mod for tenacity. So it's not entirely useless, it's just (mostly) useless for arena purposes.
    In my opinion they should just leave potency and tenacity alone, every suggestion i've seen thusfar has made it worse and is usually way too much in favour of resisting for my liking. Debuffers are supposed to debuff.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    The thing is, the abilities and their debuffs play a very important part in the viability of a character. The idea isn't to have Han Solo resisting the Dark Side of the force more than 15% of the time. We are talking about Sith zapping scoundrels here.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Now, of they make EP triple tap for 30k+30k+20k in a single turn, then sure. Reduce the odds of him landing a shock.