Fleet arena rapidly approaching, ship advice requested.

Prev1
So I'm approaching fleet arena unlocking some time this week and was wondering if there's go to ships I should be aiming for.

I understand there's a rework coming that will reduce the amount of ships to 3 (with capital ship). I did read that the various TIE fighters are a good choice alongside Executrix, at least for starters.

I have pretty much what the game gives you through the the training stuff right now. Though I could easily get the Silencer if I farm a few KRU shards.

I'm asking now as I shall be on the move a lot next week, so won't be doing much internet stuff.

Hey, it's still better than MSF

Replies

• CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Biggs.

Tie and First Order Tie.

Moff's Capital ship.

Silencer, sure!

Got Five's? Boba's?
  • Options
    Boba is achievable, the toon himself is decently geared and powered up. His ship is just fleet store isn't it?

I take it Fives is good, I had no idea he had a ship actually. Easy (ish) farm too.

I'm basically looking for a solid foundation force that can hold on defence reasonably well.

I'm level 57 now but working on Phoenix/any Empire toons I can farm from Hard nodes.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Ghost and phantom arent bad ships if phoenix pilots are developed.

Not meta but in early game your best pilots are your best ships.
  • Options
    I've started work on Sabine but she'll take a while. Can't stand Chopper.

Not too worried about meta as that's beyond my wallet though I do buy a few things, mainly crystals.
  • Options
    To begin with you have two priorities for fleets. 1. Build a viable arena fleet and 2. Unlock zeta challenge. To unlock the zeta challenge you'll need DS ships. I'd go for Vaders TA, ITF,FOTF, Slave 1 and Tie Silencer. These are five of the better DS ships, and all the pilots can be useful in other events (R2, BB8, and heists and new bounty hunter events). Another option is the Scimitar. Two other DS ships are really useful to have, the Tie reaper and Gar saxons Gauntlet, but these both require two crew members and they are on hard to farm nodes. Farm five of these guys. The spanner in the works is you'll need to farm a light side ship to be competative. Biggs X wing. Without a doubt the best tank in the fleets at the moment, so add him to the list. Other ships I would recommend adter farming these are Fives Umbaran , Bistans U wing, and wedges xwing, ghost and phantom (the last 4 along with Biggs will get you Thrawn,the best cap ship). As far as Cap ships go, put your effort into Tarkins Executrix. Its the best of the three cap ships available to you before you unlock thrawns, and having 2 or more good cap ships is really useful when it comes to TW/TB
  • SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    Options
    Biggs has the best tank ship
  • Options
    Seeing as I'm on a good run for GW atm, I'll get going on Biggs. Won't take long......if I can get the creds that is.

Zeb is on 6* so I can leave him for. I'm kind of on a dash to try and catch the tail end of the Palp event. On track for a 5* version at least.

So it's Biggs, Tie Advance, Slave 1 and FOTF and ITF alongside an Moff/Executrix cap ship.

I'm a ways off needing Zetas of course but a head start is always good. I've seen the costs.
  • Options
    the rework will start as a 3v3 but you can have up to 5 in battle at once.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking, the most efficient way to go initially is to farm 5 dark side ships (to get Executrix to 5* for the highest tier fleet ability challenge) and 5 Rebel ships (to get Home One to 5* and unlock Chimera). However, you will probably find you need more than these ships or need their pilots leveled and geared very well in order to do everything you want with the minimum. Home One upgrade challenges are particularly difficult.

I can say getting 3 stars on the highest tier fleet ability challenge (requires Executrix and 8 other ships at 5*) as soon as possible will be very helpful if you want to be competitive in arena, since that will get you zeta materials. As one of the last players in my arena shard’s top 50 who still doesn’t have any zetas, I can tell you the right zeta can change a battle.
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I assume TIE advance is locked to a fleet arena achievement which I can't see currently. TIE reaper is a ways off due to Imp super commando.

So I'll focus on what I can do. The running bonus has given me Gar, so that saves me a little cantina farming later at least.
    Post edited by Hellsteeth30 on
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    I assume TIE advance is locked to a fleet arena achievement which I can't see currently. TIE reaper is a ways off due to Imp super commando.

So I'll focus on what I can do. The running bonus has given me Gar, so that saves me a little cantina farming later at least.

Tie advanced, slave 1 and scimitar (vader boba and maul) three of the top 8 ships in the game imo. They are rare drops in the middle slot on the top row of the fleet arena store.

The meta is biggs vader tfp fotfp reaper with maul and boba as reinforcements in a fleet under thrawns capital.

That said i hold by my original statement that your best ships will be the one with your best pilots for a while.

I started in November and i regularly rank 1 in fleets. Ghost phantom and wedge on my bench still as the pilots are well developed.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Unpopular opinion - I value Ahsoka's and Jedi Counselor's ships.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Come join my fleet shard and you'll be very popular. :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options

While not the best long term ships they do fall into a gap of being sort of good for a new player as they are two of the more common gw drops and their pilots arent hard to farm.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    Options
    Naraic wrote: »

While not the best long term ships they do fall into a gap of being sort of good for a new player as they are two of the more common gw drops and their pilots arent hard to farm.

I'd agree. I know they're not top-level of meta but they both do a decent job for me...obviously a low-to-mid game Fleet player.

Can I ask please what "better" ships do the same "remove buff" thing she does? That's a genuine question by the way, not a sarcastic one!
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    In order (and from my experience only):

Reaper.

Vader (if the target is target locked).

Fives.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    In order (and from my experience only):

Reaper.

Vader (if the target is target locked).

Fives.

I'm presuming that was in answer to my question, right? If so- thanks :smile:
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yep.

I run both Reaper and Vader and use them to wipe Maul's retribution.
  • Options
    Good job I'm planning on getting Maul for a Sith team then. Lot's of stuff to do. Can't say that about certain rival games of this type....

Consular is actually my highest ship, the toon himself could use another star though.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Scimitar (Maul’s ship) is an exception to the norm because it can be useful even if it’s incredibly weak. My Scimitar is roughly 1/5 the power of the other ships I use in fleet arena. All you really need it for is the special ability as your first reinforcement.
  • Options
    Problem is Reaper requires farming shoretrooper and deathtrooper - which don't unlock until 82/83. And I've NEVER seen Reaper shards anywhere outside of that single hard node.

5 rebel ships will technically get you into the Home One challenge, but it's unlikely to win it for you (if they're all just 5*).
    Technically you can get into the Chimera event with Ghost, Phantom, Home One and one to four rebel ships, but again it's not going to win the fight.

So don't rush to enter those events as soon as you hit the minimums, or you're going to be very disappointed.

And @Kai_Mulai nailed Scimitar - that reinforcement/steath/retribution tactics is super annoying and highly effective.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    Hah, I was looking at the Gauntlet when I was actually looking for the Reaper for some reason.......They don't even look that similar really. I have Gar but not the super commando.

Maul is absolutely on my shopping list. Not sure if there's an event use for Sith teams but I want one anyway.

The majority of my focus away from ******* Phoenix, whom I hate, is Empire. Though I'll have to leave R2 at two tiers done for now unless the game cuts me a break with Gar at next free refresh and grants me a 3*. Only 4 fragments off.

I've seen many a topic on the difficulty of Home One missions, so that'll be a distant project. I won't worry if I can access it but not beat it.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good thread...lots of sensible and reasoned responses. Definitely not the sort of thing we want to encourage on here...

:smiley:

Re. ships - let's not forget there's a big shake-up coming. The Devs have already said that they will boost some lesser used ships and nerf some popular ones...

So, who knows?

:neutral:
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options
    Don’t forget sun fac and his ship, I take first every day with thrawn Biggs the fotfp tfp vader and sun fac, maul as first reinforcement, never needed my second one. This is against 450k ish reaper
    meta fleets, he is greatly underestimated as his auto taunt against buffed enemies means getting rid of Biggs taunt isn’t the be all and end all, also he’s not that bad a farm..
  • Options
    Good thread...lots of sensible and reasoned responses. Definitely not the sort of thing we want to encourage on here...

:smiley:

Re. ships - let's not forget there's a big shake-up coming. The Devs have already said that they will boost some lesser used ships and nerf some popular ones...

So, who knows?

:neutral:

Didn't know there was a buffy/nerfy thing coming too. Now I'll have to learn how to play fleet arena twice.

Hopefully it's fairly soon as knowing my luck I'll end up picking the nerf recipients that become nigh on useless.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much - there is a move from 5 initial ships to 3, and some other as-yet-detailed reinforcement bonus mechanics, but I have a feeling TL is still going to be the name of the game, and Biggs is going to still be a grade A tank. TFP is still going to be awesome for tm gain, and reaper is going to be deadly for slowing down other cap ships.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    Well, Biggs decided to drop from a bronzium, so that's a good head start.

OG rebel too. Which leads me nicely onto my next question, do he and Wedge have any synergy in fleet arena?
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Not really, since Wedge can't produce target lock. Although they both do get a bonus under Ackbar.

Wedge X-wing is a good early-to-mid-range ship because it (and he) is easy to acquire, and it hits hard. But eventually people tend to replace it for ships with more utility.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much - there is a move from 5 initial ships to 3, and some other as-yet-detailed reinforcement bonus mechanics, but I have a feeling TL is still going to be the name of the game, and Biggs is going to still be a grade A tank. TFP is still going to be awesome for tm gain, and reaper is going to be deadly for slowing down other cap ships.

Whether one worries or not is their business...but, the Devs have categorically stated that some popular ships will get nerfed and some less popular ones will get buffed. That's all we know at this stage. To say that we know Biggs will still be great, for example, is simply not true. We don't know that.
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So I'll be hitting 60 tomorrow it seems.

I'm guessing the main priority is ships from the store and I'm guessing which ships are in there to buy is random.

How is the payout structured as I hear the fleet shards have fewer players in them compared to the regular arena?

Oh and less competitive as well.