Remember when raids were fun?

Prev1
We complete the new Heroic Sith Raid in less than an hour, but god it sucks. Great graphics, but worse than Rancor to stomach. :/
SnakesOnAPlane

Replies

• Hey, if you don't like HSTR, I'd be happy to take your place in your guild. XP
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • We’re forced to do it for the gear. Traya is not a GK for whales.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    You’ll be fine. They’re going to take the competition out of it soon enough.
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    Its all about Nihilus imo. It isn't a fun mechanic. Whoever decided that should be part of a raid should have their position reconsidered. Scion and traya are fine. Scion is fun because you get to see large dmg numbers. Traya is ok. Nihilus is poor design.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    We complete the new Heroic Sith Raid in less than an hour, but god it sucks.

Well here's a new complaint.

Sheesh.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ugnaught wrote: »
    Its all about Nihilus imo. It isn't a fun mechanic. Whoever decided that should be part of a raid should have their position reconsidered. Scion and traya are fine. Scion is fun because you get to see large dmg numbers. Traya is ok. Nihilus is poor design.

I agree with you about Nihilus. He's not a lot of fun in any way. Random Annihilate usage, causing a restart occasionally, the protection drain/regen making it so a lot of your damage doesn't count.. It's just pure frustration on about every level.

Sion is just a boring slab of meat to beat on, but I guess some people might enjoy that.

P3 Traya is okay, yeah, I don't see much issue with that one. Fairly okay design.

P4 is where I check out.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Ugnaught wrote: »

Phase 1 Nihilus is fine if you only attempt it with a strong JTRey team. But in our guild, if you're not around within an hour of launch, you could miss phase 1, as those teams can do 8%+ with decent rng.

Honestly, just like all other raids its not horrible once you get an idea what works and what doesn't. Also like other raids, the strongest guilds are going to have to start putting damage caps on or 24 hour "0 damage" rule.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    actually, no not really. I have never really liked raids in general, especially when they are new. I generally dont do well in raids at first.
  • darthjeary
    170 posts Member
    Raise your hand if you feel bad for the guy/guild bragging about finishing the Hsith in 1 hour?
  • darthjeary wrote: »
    Raise your hand if you feel bad for the guy/guild bragging about finishing the Hsith in 1 hour?

I'm not sure if I feel bad for them, or just feel bad in general as a result.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    darthjeary wrote: »

*Raises hand* That is one very busy hour. Sucks for anyone who has a P.O. during that time, dinner, work, a life.

I’m glad my guild purposefully splits the raid into two days with extra restrictions on how many teams can be used.

Yes, I feel sorry for HD Wolfpack.
  • No, raids have never been fun to me. How is it fun to send your best teams into a suicide mission against a damage-soaking punching bag just to see how many times you can hit it before enrage?
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    No, raids have never been fun to me. How is it fun to send your best teams into a suicide mission against a damage-soaking punching bag just to see how many times you can hit it before enrage?

If that's what you're doing, you're doing it wrong.
  • We just completed our third, I was away for the first two so this was my first and - as much as retrying chex mix 20 times to get the right damage number was annoying - man, was it a gratifying experience to complete that raid, and being one of the lower GP members of my guild and finishing in top 15 made it all the more sweet. I think I'd rather spend time doing HSith, than spend 40 minutes babysitting a 20M damage HAAT run to get 11th place and some challenge gear.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    No, raids have never been fun to me. How is it fun to send your best teams into a suicide mission against a damage-soaking punching bag just to see how many times you can hit it before enrage?

I think we're talking about HAAT at HSith, not Rancor. That's exactly what it is....and how you do it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ender22 wrote: »

*Raises hand* That is one very busy hour. Sucks for anyone who has a P.O. during that time, dinner, work, a life.

I’m glad my guild purposefully splits the raid into two days with extra restrictions on how many teams can be used.

It’s a tough life for sure, but I always feel just a tad worse for the guilds that tank in TW and still struggle to clear someone’s board. The struggle is real for Alpha Squad too. Enjoy the extra restrictions! To each their own!
  • TVF wrote: »

lol ok, you are right. Sometimes your best cannot even make it to enrage.

It's a good thing the separatists did not produce many of those B2 Rocket Troopers, because they would have won the war with all the abuse they can take.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    how bugged is p4 if you clear the entire raid in 1 hour?
    (assuming it's bugging because too many players are chipping away at traya at the same time)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

lol ok, you are right. Sometimes your best cannot even make it to enrage.

It's a good thing the separatists did not produce many of those B2 Rocket Troopers, because they would have won the war with all the abuse they can take.

Still sounds like you need a different HAAT squad.
  • Qvwste
    43 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    title is a bit dramatic. my guildmates and I enjoy str now that we are learning the strategy. at first it stunk cuz it seemed to be so anti-debuff. you're maybe a bit displeased because of the whale curse, which is a symptom of progressing in a game extremely fast. I experienced this as a child when using game genie. it was wickedly cool for about 10 minutes. then I whined about it not being fun anymore as children generally do.
    Post edited by Qvwste on
  • Rebel_yell
    928 posts Member
    Raids all follow the same progression.
    - this is difficult and new and I hate it
    - oh yeah, we beat it!
    - this is fun! we're clearing heroic regularly and I have more team comps I can use
    - this is such a chore, why won't CG make it simmable?

repeat
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Ender22 wrote: »

It’s a tough life for sure, but I always feel just a tad worse for the guilds that tank in TW and still struggle to clear someone’s board. The struggle is real for Alpha Squad too. Enjoy the extra restrictions! To each their own!

Sounds like the Wolfpack is a little salty that they almost lost to a 20mil gap in GP ;)
  • So far this raid has forced my guild of the past 18 months to split in two. Now despite a GP of 3.56M, I am expected to strip and replace half my mods (and then put them back to remain arena viable), and play in airplane mode so I can repeatedly shut down and relaunch the app until, after 15-20 tries, I am satisfied that I'm getting the maximum possible score with my squad.

This is the exactly, polar opposite of fun. EA and CG are of course well aware that players are using this airplane mode workaround, and could have anticipated that this would be the response to having no retreat option built in. But that would require prioritizing player satisfaction over revenue-generating frustration.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    It didn't force anything. Your guild, on some level, decided that the raid was so important that you had to do things which led (apparently) to your guild breaking up. That's not the raid's fault.

If the people in your guild have different goals and the guild can't manage the varying goals, it's gonna break up. The content may be the accelerant, but it's not the cause.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    So far this raid has forced my guild of the past 18 months to split in two. Now despite a GP of 3.56M, I am expected to strip and replace half my mods (and then put them back to remain arena viable), and play in airplane mode so I can repeatedly shut down and relaunch the app until, after 15-20 tries, I am satisfied that I'm getting the maximum possible score with my squad.

This is the exactly, polar opposite of fun. EA and CG are of course well aware that players are using this airplane mode workaround, and could have anticipated that this would be the response to having no retreat option built in. But that would require prioritizing player satisfaction over revenue-generating frustration.

You should switch guilds with the OP ;)
    Joking aside, once your guild has cleared 2 or 3 HSR's, clearing won't be an issue anymore. I highly doubt any guild that has done more than 3 HSR's expects their members to keep mod swapping. Once it has gotten to the point where the OP is at now (way sooner than that actually), you don't even have time to retreat and try again because the phases fly by. You snooze, you lose the oppertunity to do dmg in that phase.
    Also, there is a build-in retreat mechanisme ingame. The only "issue" with said system is that you can only retreat during your own turn. That's why people use airplane mode, to not get caught of guard and being whiped before you had the chance to retreat. Not sure if you knew that, but judging by your comment you didn't. I personally only use airplane mode with NS in p4 and still almost never have to restart the game because i have i could retreat before my team got just fine. The abilty to retreat during enemy turns would have been nice, but if we're being honest it would only be usefull in very rare ocasions.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    The abilty to retreat during enemy turns would have been nice, but if we're being honest it would only be usefull in very rare ocasions.

Not really related to the topic, but I was in DS TB yesterday, final wave, and my NS were down to Acolyte and Zombie. A bunch of HR Scouts in the battle with varying amounts of TM. One kills zombie, they all gain 50% TM. The next one goes, kills zombie, they all gain 50% TM. Repeat over and over. I watched it for about five minutes for the entertainment factor, then I force crashed.

Long way of saying I wish you could pause the game and retreat, just for these kinds of situations.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    brings back memories. I still enjoy this vid, haha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjuKL3rDOvk
  • leef wrote: »

hahahaha. I watched that to the bitter end.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

hahahaha. I watched that to the bitter end.

The person who made that vid did us a favour by not making it last 20min, we would have been glued to our screens for that long instead of just the 2min xD
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    players are using this airplane mode workaround, and could have anticipated that this would be the response to having no retreat option built in.

Airplane mode isn’t a workaround.. the retreat option that you speak of is very different than being able to start over.. the only “retreat” mode that is different in this raid is the ability to conserve toons, not the ability to start a run over.

What would be a nice function to have though, a really really nice function that would make all players happy @CG_Kozispoon is an in game restart button. Instead of going back to “choose a team” and replay a short scene.. if we could just restart with the same team right away.. cuz a lot of us ARE having to retry 20 times.. that’s just how the raid is