Who should get my first zeta?

Alright y'all, you've given me great advice in the past, so I'm coming to you again. In the next couple weeks (hopefully), I'll be ready to give my first Zeta, and I'm not sure who to give it to. I think I have it narrowed down to R2 or Palp. Empire is going to be my new Arena team, but I'm also building up Rebels/prepping for CLS. (Full roster here: https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/collection/)
"Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/

Who should get my first zeta? 35 votes

R2-D2 (Number Crunch)
20%
GifafiSpartan549DaltonjulesPileRichardCheeseTripleBManrodandreelguy 7 votes
Emperor Palpatine (Leader)
62%
Bnorth86jedikilla84BhbravehartHuatimusDrazz127Jay_1997_CDarthKefkaRiffinatorEvgeniKesselHskull55DarthGugelWestvleteren12chionophileSyrup_Chugger3SlethgmeistaLavelioscatharsis478ManuGswgregoriou 22 votes
Emperor Palpatine (Unique)
2%
TooL 1 vote
Other (comment below)
14%
SamuraiUXElleMadaradennishsnyder57cougarfan94CPace 5 votes

Replies

• Looks like you've invested pretty heavy into Phoenix already... There are so many times I wish I could have 4 of my zetas back and have a monster Phoenix squad for raids and TB.

I have the 3 zetas you're interested in. It is possible that the meta will move on pretty fast and by the time you get enough zetas to have an arena viable Palps-team we could be off to dominate teams comps from the Solo movie with a release of Scoundrels. Also, we're not done with Resistance and First Order yet... still 1 more movie to go in the trilogy. Not to mention I doubt we've seen the last of Bounty Hunters.

Throw in the never ending rumors of Separatists and Jedi reworks and throwing zetas on Palps can feel like chasing. The best advice I have received when it comes to zetas in save up enough so you always have 2 to give so if something comes out that is really great, you're ahead instead of chasing.

If you're like me and have to zeta when you get one... I'd go R2
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Thanks for the advice! I might save up for a while, like you suggest. :)
    So, are you saying that Phx is worth the Zetas? I have indeed invested heavily in them, but they were always a means to an end for me (earning Palp and Thrawn). Are you saying I would get more use out of them if I added the zetas?
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Thanks for the advice! I might save up for a while, like you suggest. :)
    So, are you saying that Phx is worth the Zetas? I have indeed invested heavily in them, but they were always a means to an end for me (earning Palp and Thrawn). Are you saying I would get more use out of them if I added the zetas?

Phoenix zetas are top 30 zetas for raid purposes not a first zeta by any means.

Id say palpatine.
  • Macattack9
    207 posts Member
    Palp lead is well worth it. Amazing in arena, TB, and TW.
  • Speedokillz
    575 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't think they are worth the zetas right now for someone just getting their first but there will be others who may have a more informed opinion on their viability. I just look back at the one's I feel are wasted now though and would love to put them toward Phoenix. Vader's Leadership, Kylo Ren's Special, ROLO's Special, and Holdo's Unique are 4 that I'd love to have back. At the time, I thought " now i got it! This will make all the difference..." But nope, not really.

From my experience, chasing the meta 1 zeta at a time has left me frustrated a lot. I had more than 70 zeta mats saved up, 50 Omegas, and a couple hundred Mk3 at one point and then BB-8 and Rey (Jedi Training) came out and I had all their zetas and held in arena for ever. Started spending zetas 1 at a time, then Papls / Vaders reworks came out and Sion and I couldn't do a thing. I'm still paying for it as I hardly ever get into the top 5 now.

I'm saving for the next run, brother cuz I'm not going though this agony again. But it's just a game, you wanna claim your 1st zeta then have fun and to it :)
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Thanks for the advice! I might save up for a while, like you suggest. :)

Definitely - Kanan's in particular is a gamechanger.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • TVF
    36586 posts Member
    Thanks for the advice! I might save up for a while, like you suggest. :)

Definitely - Kanan's in particular is a gamechanger.

But it depends what your goal is. Phoenix does not last in arena. If you have other goals, that's maybe a better reason for Kanan.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    R2-D2 (Number Crunch)
    phoenix is garbage unless thrawn.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Arena is a small part of the game, despite the huge importance people like to place on it. Would Kanan be my first zeta? Nope - that honor went to Emperor leader skill. Would it be my first step in taking Phoenix into uncharted territory? You betcha.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • TVF
    36586 posts Member
    I agree about arena and I say that very thing often. I'm just saying the answer to "what should I zeta" depends overwhelmingly on where you want to focus your energy.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Been researching Rancor squads. Should I consider putting my Zeta on Thrawn's Ebb and Flow, for a Rancor squad?
  • Emperor Palpatine (Leader)
    If you wanted an Empire-based Rancor team, I'd do Vader's lead before Thrawn's unique (and you can eventually use that to solo all of HAAT if you cared to). However, there's lots of characters and teams that can take on the Rancor--some of the people in my guild without CLS solo with old school Teebo teams--and it may not be the wisest course of action to spend a zeta on a Rancor team. Even for Arena, I'd put Thrawn's at third or fourth importance in an Empire/Sith team (and if the META hasn't changed by the time I get to my 6th zeta, it'll go on Thrawn's unique, 5th'll go to Sion; if not we'll see).

Considering the age of your shard, and that Palpatine seems to be the strongest leader with Traya, I don't see him--or the Sith--going away any time soon. I'd say we'll get another month, maybe more, out of him (and perhaps more in a younger shard, barring OP character releases; when the devs are saying they're focusing on DS-love at the moment, I don't see the new SOLO/BH characters breaking the META). If Arena is where you want to focus--your other uses would be Territory Battles and Wars--I'd probably drop it there first. I don't know how close, or far away, your guild is from HSTR, but if your guild leaders are thinking about it, you could always poke them and see what they want you to build for it (or whether or not they want to wait for more efficient teams, characters, strategies).

You probably won't have many zetas in your shard for awhile, even after you hit 85 I doubt you'll see more than 50% of the teams you fight with them until you get into the top 25 or so. I'd take advantage of that if PVP was a priority, honestly.
  • R2-D2 (Number Crunch)
    Palpatine lead is very good, but I had R2 Number Crunch before and I have never regretted his Zeta. They are both good, either choice will be great
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    You probably won't have many zetas in your shard for awhile, even after you hit 85 I doubt you'll see more than 50% of the teams you fight with them until you get into the top 25 or so. I'd take advantage of that if PVP was a priority, honestly.

I started playing in December, and my arena shard top 50 is full of zetas. I think I was one of the last to get one, and I got my first earlier this week. In top 20, there are more teams with 2 or 3 zetas. They pop up faster than you’d think (or at least faster than I expected).
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Emperor Palpatine (Leader)
    Palpatine lead and transitioning to an Empire/Sith arena team will probably do you the most good at this point, though there are many strong options.

Getting Number Crunch is never a bad decision, after all.
    Still not a he.
  • CPace
    151 posts Member
    Other (comment below)
    CLS
  • CPace wrote: »
    CLS

Would love to. Don't have CLS yet though. ;)
  • Looks like you've invested pretty heavy into Phoenix already... There are so many times I wish I could have 4 of my zetas back and have a monster Phoenix squad for raids and TB.

I have the 3 zetas you're interested in. It is possible that the meta will move on pretty fast and by the time you get enough zetas to have an arena viable Palps-team we could be off to dominate teams comps from the Solo movie with a release of Scoundrels. Also, we're not done with Resistance and First Order yet... still 1 more movie to go in the trilogy. Not to mention I doubt we've seen the last of Bounty Hunters.

Throw in the never ending rumors of Separatists and Jedi reworks and throwing zetas on Palps can feel like chasing. The best advice I have received when it comes to zetas in save up enough so you always have 2 to give so if something comes out that is really great, you're ahead instead of chasing.

If you're like me and have to zeta when you get one... I'd go R2

Everyone is saying R2 is super versatile. That won't go away.