Update to Timezone Change Policy for Extreme Changes Only [Mega]

Prev1345
Vampire_X
1435 posts Moderator
CG_Carrie wrote: »
Hi all,
One of the things we've been talking about for some time is how to handle timezone changes for people who have moved, particularly significant distances, since they first set up their SWGOH account. Since SWGOH bases your payouts on the timezone when you first set up the account, we have a number of players with incredibly inconvenient arena and fleet payout times, and we would like to help improve their quality of life.
While frequent timezone changes have the potential to create abuse around shard payouts, we do want to slowly begin to roll out a program by which we allow a one time only timezone change for anybody who has moved in excess of four time zones (so from US to Europe or Asia, for example).
Our Customer Support team has a process that will be able to verify this information, and so you will need to provide some info to them in order for them to make sure your account is eligible.
If you are a player who has moved or who set up their account while on vacation abroad, or is four or more timezones away from your current time set for any reason, please contact our support team at https://help.ea.com to request your one-time timezone change to your current timezone.
Please be patient with them as this is a new process, and we will continue, as always, to evaluate and see if it warrants other limited timezone changes to other people for any reason, along with any other policies that may be able to be improved to better your experience.

Thanks, and as always, we'll see you on the holotables,
-Carrie

<<MEGATHREAD>>
Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber

Replies

• Lekrom1982
    343 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Call me crazy
    But I would think the majority of calls to change the 2 HOURS of payout times for your account is not because a great chunk of players moved from Siberia to Vancouver :open_mouth:

It's because those 2 hours (arena plus fleet) are right in the time when you either commute (drive!) or spend time with your family making dinner and playing with the kids before the sun sets.

So why limit timezone changes to only the first category?? :(
  • PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    Because the more people are unable to battle during payout hours the worse the results and therefore they earn fewer crystals in total which is more likely to encourage spending. Yeah it's unfair but you have to live with it.

It bothers me as well since it rewards lazy bums who have no life and no job, and people who's real life schedule is not busy around those hours. And punishes responsible people who have lives, family and responsibilities.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    It's not missing the point, it's addressing something different.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    It's not missing the point, it's addressing something different.

It seems to, yes.
    However, I literally did not read one comment in the previous Q&As where this came up from people who moved timezones. Most of what I saw echoes what I experience - people want to play the game in time that does not suck from their other responsibilities.
  • I absolutely have the same opinions expressed above regarding payout times. That's when I'm at dinner with my family! I don't see how allowing a one time only convenience change of the payout time could lead to any abuse.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • clscoza
    31 posts Member
    I totally agree. I move 2 hours in timezone metric". I an not going to wake up at 04:00 to catch that extra energy. And 16:00 is a very busy time in normal life. This is not EA or CG actually listening to their player base but rather some convoluted pretence at listening. This has been an issue for me for almost a year already but this "fix" really me not "feel" but actually Know that the powers that be don't understand nor care about the general population. (please feel free to imagine some rude emoji right here)
  • Aethrwolf
    46 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    It's at least a step in the right direction. I suspect it's a test to see how many people change vs how many complaints they've had. I'm also guessing it won't lower the number of complaints, but raise them as people who have odd schedules throw a fit.

I personally have a work schedule off 1:45pm- 9:45pm (got out early today) with about an hour commute before and after. ALL of my energy refreshes and arena Times are while I'm working or driving... I don't complain mostly because changing them would probably make it so I have to choose between game or sleep. I would like to be able to have my arena times changed so i could hit them during breaks and not have to cross my fingers that no one hits me for the next 2 hours but it's just a game and I'm not going to get that worked up about it.

I would suggest that they had a way to take into account people's daily work schedules when setting these things but I'd rather see in game bugs fixed first.

Edit: adjust for daylight savings time, for kitten's sake!
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    The point of changing timezones is not to make payouts more convenient. Changing your payout time is SO easily exploitable.
    As Carrie said, this is for extreme circumstances, such as I move from the US to Europe/Asia, and now my bonus energy and arena payouts are in the middle of the night.
    It would be incredibly nice if arena payouts weren't smack dab in the middle of most people's busiest time of the day. However, they would have to rework the entire payout system, which I don't believe they're going to do (they don't want everyone to be able to take 1st every day).
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Lekrom1982
    343 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    they don't have to rework payout system
    just allow you to change your payout times (or your default timezone as it were) on a one-time deal

many many players can't reach first - that's not the point (even though I can and try to)

the point is for most working people, the hour or two around your payouts is when you can enjoy the PvP portion of the everyday game and maximise your crystal returns (whether you payout 50 or 500 crystals) - and having that happen during your busiest family time is just kitten...

if I knew what the payout time would be when I downloaded the game I would have manually changed TZ on my phone, but that's bygones and should not be a workaround that's needed?
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    The point of changing timezones is not to make payouts more convenient. Changing your payout time is SO easily exploitable.

How is allowing a one-time payout time change exploitable? I cannot imagine an exploit I could do in that system.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    I say do away with battle limits! I want to stay in first 24/7 365!!!
    Dr-Evils-Laughing.gif
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    There's obviously a difference between having your "noon" free energy at 2am due to moving to the other side of the world and pay-out not being convenient due to real life priorities/responsibilties. Not to mention the players who just want to change their pay-out time to a less crouded hour.
    ea/cg chosing to only adress the former is understandable.
    That said, i wish they'd get rid of pay-out times alltogether.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    I say do away with battle limits! I want to stay in first 24/7 365!!!
    Dr-Evils-Laughing.gif

Is this supposed to answer my question?
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    wrong mega thread
  • One of my guild members was at Okinawa when he set up his account, so he'll be glad to hear about this (downside is he might move to another guild now that he can reliably get his 600). I agree that the change doesn't go nearly far enough--and it should consider DST in regions that use it, though that can understandably be complicated--but it's a step in the right direction.

Perhaps this limited-basis pay-out change will show us--and CG--that allowing the occasional pay-out change doesn't necessarily break the game. I think many of us would appreciate being able to adjust our game schedule to fit with our work and family schedules, and not only the "normal" schedule of a majority of people within your time-zone (as there's always going to be people working extraordinary schedules).
  • DaGoMan
    5 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I have installed game while on vacation on Tokyo. But I live in Brazil, the other side of the world.
    For months I’ve missed PO (it’s 6am) until I finally managed to enter shard chat and negotiate with my shard mates. They are great and helped me stay at rank 2 everyday. I sit there for about 7h and nobody touches me, they even prevent snipers to hit me.
    So even tho I would be able to be more active during PO if I change it, if it’s gonna be 6pm, I may have worse income because I’ll be superbusy at work.... so I think CG should consider real life schedule as an important issue.
    Many players get upset by not being able to collect crystals and after a while, they move to Marvel game. So please, treat us well cause if you don’t, other game developers will learn from your weaknesses and steal your customers.
  • timezone change for anybody who has moved in excess of four time zones

I moved from California to New York and i habe 3 time zones.
    Why does the limit has to be 4 ?

I always miss the last energy refresh which is at 1 am because i sleep.
  • Dabro112
    79 posts Member
    DaGoMan wrote: »
    I have installed game while on vacation on Tokyo. But I live in Brazil, the other side of the world.
    For months I’ve missed PO (it’s 6am) until I finally managed to enter shard chat and negotiate with my shard mates. They are great and helped me stay at rank 2 everyday. I sit there for about 7h and nobody touches me, they even prevent snipers to hit me.
    So even tho I would be able to be more active during PO if I change it, if it’s gonna be 6pm, I may have worse income because I’ll be superbusy at work.... so I think CG should consider real life schedule as an important issue.
    Many players get upset by not being able to collect crystals and after a while, they move to Marvel game. So please, treat us well cause if you don’t, other game developers will learn from your weaknesses and steal your customers.

This is why shard chats should not be allowed he is protected though not active and active players are penalized. Great system.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Oh dear.

I moved from California to Florida and was hoping for a shift, but I'm one time zone short of qualifying. That's unfortunate.

But hopefully, this will be slightly more generally available in the near future.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Oh dear.

I moved from California to Florida and was hoping for a shift, but I'm one time zone short of qualifying. That's unfortunate.

But hopefully, this will be slightly more generally available in the near future.

If Florida passes its DST Law change, then you should qualify come fall. I moved from Washington State to Florida, so in the same boat.

• This is why shard chats should not be allowed he is protected though not active and active players are penalized. Great system.[/quote]

Yeah, I had to do that or retire from game. I’d rather fight my own battles but won’t set alarm to play a game. Besides that, I’m ok with shard chats. Coordinating with other players are common in multiplayer games. I believe CG agrees with that as much as they are releasing a better ingame chat in near future.
    Back to the topic, I am favorable of us being able to choose a PO hour that best suits our playtime. This way game becomes more enjoyable as Arena is the best part of this game. Might prevent gamers to stop playing. CG wants our cash? Fair enough, but for us to pay, we need to keep playing and not feeling frustrated.
  • Eirrann
    16 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I was visiting Eastern Europe when I started playing but live on the US East Coast. My payouts hit right as I start work in the morning. It had contributed to me losing interest in the game. Changing my time zone to where I live now would be huge towards getting me to actually play again. I hope they can do this for me. @CG_Carrie, thanks in advance for this, it'll be so awesome!

EDIT:
    I know not everyone likes when the standard payout time hits, but it's better than being 7 or 8 hours off
    Post edited by Eirrann on
  • @CG_Carrie I'm really happy to see this being available for players, it was one of the points of feedback I was really intent on providing. Sadly, I do see it is only a 1 time timezone change (to prevent exploits, totally understandable) but would like to see a possible quality of life fix for those of us who have to go on long business trips every so often. In my situation, I am based in the US but have to travel to Japan for 2 - 4 months at a time 2 times a year (I'm in a specific scenario here). This fix is not designed for players such as myself, but I hope this will be something that is addressed in the future. Regardless, I am very happy that the company is taking steps in the right direction. Keep up the great work and I am eagerly awaiting future quality of life improvements.
  • A 1 time payout time change would be great for the game and probably prolong it for me. As is I am in transit and then get home and need to spend time with the family, make dinner, etc.

I want to play the game but don't make me choose between the 2 options.
  • Been waiting for this for a long time... I moved from Hawaii, where I started the game, to the east coast (5 or 6 hour change depending on DST; Hawaii has no DST). But if it's a one time only thing I'm going to keep "suffering" with my 1:00 AM fleet payout because I move around a lot and in about four months I could be moving back west.

(I say "suffering" in quotes because I have a sense of perspective and realize that this is just a cell phone game)
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    (I say "suffering" in quotes because I have a sense of perspective and realize that this is just a cell phone game)
    We don't allow none of that "sense of perspective" stuff around here, bub. ;)
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    We don't allow none of that "sense of perspective" stuff around here, bub. ;)

We don't take kindly to folks that got perspective around here!
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Dabro112 wrote: »
    DaGoMan wrote: »

This is why shard chats should not be allowed he is protected though not active and active players are penalized. Great system.

Are you kidding? First of all, how exactly would you enforce that? You know he's probably using Discord right?
    Second, "though not active" .....at five in the morning. You're right, he's such a leech, not waking up at five A.M. to play a cell phone game. He's probably plenty active at other times throughout the day. You know, like when he's awake.
    Third, shard chats are great. If people want to be proactive and engage with the people around them for their mutual benefit then more power to them. I do it, and guess what? Everyone is super cool and we help each other out by not attacking each other right before our payouts. We collectively bring in more crystals because we're working together.

You should go try to find your shardmates. They may actually be pretty cool people.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Dirk_Brightblade
    207 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I originally asked customer services if I could change my payout time back in December 2016.

This was because the payout times might suit kids who just finished school but they don't suit adults with a life, work and family.

@CG_Carrie this will become the one biggest asked for qol update. Please allow a one time update to move payout time..... Or as an alternative I have those suggestion...

Is there a way to revamp the shard system totally and allow players 24 hours in which to battle as much as they need to reach as high as they can. That way people can play at times when it suits them and fits around life. I'm sure you will find a lot of people suddenly become a lot more active and willing to work towards the top arena and ship payouts.

One thing that will be needed to be monitored is the selfish sort of players who constantly feel the need to always live at the top of their arena no matter what the time of day. These players don't think about others and working together.... Shard chats exist so we can coordinate against players like that.

So... Maybe have a system that once you have reached number 1 in a particular day that you can't battle any more that day. This will need to be clearly monitored in terms of how it actually worked. After all you want everyone to participate and you need the incentive to be earning rewards (crystals).... And if you have to spend more than you earn then there is no incentive at all in that.

So all in all maybe it would be easier to let folks have a button to choose their payout time in game settings.