ASUS PC stuck in Bios loop

Bambii
14 posts Member
Recently, I asked my dad to help me install a second hard drive from a computer I owned around 9 years ago. I'm not very experienced with building PCs and all that looks like sorcery to me. After an attempt in installing the old hard drive we had, my PC would start up in bios mode automatically. Embarrassing to admit this, however, my dad accidentally cut ONE wire from the power supply, and somehow put it back together. I'm not sure the wire is the reason for this happening, but as I said, I'm not a PC expert, neither is my dad. We removed the hard drive we were trying to install, and it still starts up in bios mode, even after saving and exiting. Because of this, I'm left with my cruddy school laptop to play video games and such. Please help me asap. Thanks.

Replies

• Bambii
    14 posts Member
    P.S. I used this forum for help, as this is the only forum I use frequently.
  • Bambii wrote: »
    Recently, I asked my dad to help me install a second hard drive from a computer I owned around 9 years ago. I'm not very experienced with building PCs and all that looks like sorcery to me. After an attempt in installing the old hard drive we had, my PC would start up in bios mode automatically. Embarrassing to admit this, however, my dad accidentally cut ONE wire from the power supply, and somehow put it back together. I'm not sure the wire is the reason for this happening, but as I said, I'm not a PC expert, neither is my dad. We removed the hard drive we were trying to install, and it still starts up in bios mode, even after saving and exiting. Because of this, I'm left with my cruddy school laptop to play video games and such. Please help me asap. Thanks.

Well, it is unlikely that you would be in your bios with a critical power cord cut, and without a beep code.

Since you are in your bios you can read if it is detecting the old hard drive or new one, whichever it is in.

Some laptops don't have CD/DVD from drives, if your Asus does not and your hard drive is not detected then it has nowhere else to boot but the bios.

Step 1 - is bios detecting hd
    2. No? Swap the other drive and see step 1
    3. Yes, If so, reboot pressing your Function key that lets you choose where to boot to. F2 or f12 usually, f10 too sometimes.
    4 boot to your operating system
    5. If that didn't work but the bios detects the drive, make sure in the bios that your hdrive is 1st in boot sequence. Possible but unlikely that somehow the h drive is not set to boot in bios settings
    6. Make a Linux pen drive usb , boot to the pen, install linux alongside the old OS on hard drive and see if it runs. I often do that just to check if a system runs at all
  • Bambii
    14 posts Member
    Bambii wrote: »

Well, it is unlikely that you would be in your bios with a critical power cord cut, and without a beep code.

Since you are in your bios you can read if it is detecting the old hard drive or new one, whichever it is in.

Some laptops don't have CD/DVD from drives, if your Asus does not and your hard drive is not detected then it has nowhere else to boot but the bios.

Step 1 - is bios detecting hd
    2. No? Swap the other drive and see step 1
    3. Yes, If so, reboot pressing your Function key that lets you choose where to boot to. F2 or f12 usually, f10 too sometimes.
    4 boot to your operating system
    5. If that didn't work but the bios detects the drive, make sure in the bios that your hdrive is 1st in boot sequence. Possible but unlikely that somehow the h drive is not set to boot in bios settings
    6. Make a Linux pen drive usb , boot to the pen, install linux alongside the old OS on hard drive and see if it runs. I often do that just to check if a system runs at all

This isn't a laptop, it's a desktop. It doesn't detect any hard drives at all, they just come up as "N/A". Anyways, my grandfather has taken the PC to his friend for me, and he can repair computers, so everything is under control atm. Will post here if anything new comes up.