Ship Shard “Migration” is just a split?

Replies

• PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    Why should everyone else have to suffer because your shard is more competitive than average? Leave my shard alone, thanks.
    If we assume they created 1000 leaderboards when ships were launched, which might be high so let's say they created 500. But if we assume they created 500 leaderboards and have 1000 active competitive players (which is probably also high--but let's be conservative and assume high activity and low other boards) you're looking at adding 2 players per board.

No one's suffering.

So the 1st opening of those 500 and the 500th are going to have the same powers? You want to drop a whale with 450k power into a shard full of 350k fleets?

Look the same thing happened with marvel strike force, players were mixed up with prelaunch shards and they were then moved into new shards having a month's advantage. Sure a month doesn't sound like a lot but it was like 20 level difference and there was no way to beat them. I made a new account hit level 30 in 2 days and I realized level 50-54 were in my shard so I just quit. This solution screws so many innocent players
  • Mattos
    24 posts Member
    Of course all shards have whale. But this shard have at least 500 whale no joke... they should split the shard by 5 or 6 or even more
  • Fleet shards can be very competitive for the older shards. Keeping in the top 500 is a challenge. Teams with a fleet power of 400K+ are in the 400 range, seems out of balance in my opinion.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Mattos wrote: »
    Of course all shards have whale. But this shard have at least 500 whale no joke... they should split the shard by 5 or 6 or even more

I'm fairly certain they will split the shard into whatever constitutes the average number of players per shard as every other ship shard, and the whales proportionally as well...which would make the "new" shards the same as all others.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    It's not my business to talk on behalf of others but my understanding is that those people are whales who simply don't have a crystal issue, afterall only the top 20 earn crystals. Their issue seems to be fleet tokens and thus the ability to purchase more zetas.

There is a simple solution, just increase their payout in fleet tokens to let's say the top 20 get 1st place tokens, the top 21-50 get 5th place tokens, the top 51-200 get 10th place tokens, the top 201 to 500 get 20th place tokens and the top 501 to 1000 get 50th place tokens.

This increase in fleet tokens will allow these players to be able to purchase more zetas and this is going to stop the complaints.
  • Furbs
    1 posts Member
    It is extremely frustrating that for the past year and a half to have been at a disadvantage compared to my guild mates and arena shard mates in terms of ship currency and zetas bought. Even averaging one rank higher for the time ships have been out comes to almost 3 full zetas. (Unless I just fail at math)
  • Ghost_Goh
    152 posts Member
    I agree Furbs. It straight up sucks.
  • Pseudot
    102 posts Member
    Am I the only one noticing the disturbing 'elephant in the room' so-to-speak?

At the time that ships launched players were split into the shards. An 'algorithm' was applied to determine the placement of players. This algorithm resulted in an extremely large amount of 'whales' in one shard.

The obvious correlation is that a large part of the 'algorithm' used was spending history, or something similar. More than likely the desired result was to create an environment for the game's whales which would stimulate extra spending.

Am I off-base here, or isn't this exactly what is being reported?

The presence of a 'spending habit' variable being used in any algorithm has some serious implications.
  • The biggest point gap is 200 points a day from 501 to 500, or 201 to 200. That's 10 days for 1 zeta mat.

That's 200 days for 1 zeta. Has ships been out for almost 2 years?
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    Pseudot wrote: »

At the time that ships launched players were split into the shards. An 'algorithm' was applied to determine the placement of players. This algorithm resulted in an extremely large amount of 'whales' in one shard.

The obvious correlation is that a large part of the 'algorithm' used was spending history, or something similar. More than likely the desired result was to create an environment for the game's whales which would stimulate extra spending.

The presence of a 'spending habit' variable being used in any algorithm has some serious implications.

Hhm someone forgets what kind of world he lives in
  • Pseudot
    102 posts Member
    PeteSolo wrote: »

Just someone who played a mobile game where a 'spending habit' variable was discovered to be part of the RNG algorithm that determined premium box contents.

• Fleet shards can be very competitive for the older shards. Keeping in the top 500 is a challenge. Teams with a fleet power of 400K+ are in the 400 range, seems out of balance in my opinion.

Yeah, this. If you aren't already in the top 20 of any shard, you'll probably not be able to reach it any time soon, if at all - there's just too much competition to wade upwards through. Even if you are of a level with the top ranking players there's a few hundred just as equal in power all scrapping for those spots.

This shard migration won't affect that a bit, and the upcoming update to ships won't either.

It would be nice if they granted crystals in ships similarly to how regular arena does, but ... they don't. Here's hoping that's something that comes with the update.
  • MCThr33pio wrote: »
    It would be nice if they granted crystals in ships similarly to how regular arena does, but ... they don't. Here's hoping that's something that comes with the update.

That's due to shard size - arena shards (apparently) hold a lot more players, so the top x% equates to more people there. I heard 20,000 for squad vs 2000 for fleet.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member

Im fairly sure the algorithim may have been arena rank or gp rather than spending habits. Same effect really but without the nastiness of directly tracking cash spent
  • PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    PeteSolo wrote: »

Just someone who played a mobile game where a 'spending habit' variable was discovered to be part of the RNG algorithm that determined premium box contents.

Not a huge discovery, i have always known

That's due to shard size - arena shards (apparently) hold a lot more players, so the top x% equates to more people there. I heard 20,000 for squad vs 2000 for fleet.

True, but regardless of that, the minor amount of crystals that would be granted wouldn't change much, and it would be a nice reward for the lower level players who just can't compete.

If the bottom 10,000 of arena get 15 crystals a day then there's no real reason - or much impact probably - that the bottom 1,000 in fleet shouldn't get 15 crystals a day too?

It's not a big deal, but it'd be nice.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

That's not at all what was being reported. It was the fact that the shard in question had been significantly overpopulated. That would naturally also mean more actual number of whales.

But I am going to be selling tin foil hats later.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
    MCThr33pio wrote: »

True, but regardless of that, the minor amount of crystals that would be granted wouldn't change much, and it would be a nice reward for the lower level players who just can't compete.

If the bottom 10,000 of arena get 15 crystals a day then there's no real reason - or much impact probably - that the bottom 1,000 in fleet shouldn't get 15 crystals a day too?

It's not a big deal, but it'd be nice.

yeah i've made similar mention elsewhere. it's a big dropoff from 100 crystals per day for the top 20 to 0 for everyone else. the rest should get some small amount too.

• Ghost_Goh
    152 posts Member
    This is clearly a hot topic and I hope CG will make it right for those affected.
  • Reyspet wrote: »
    Why should everyone else have to suffer because your shard is more competitive than average? Leave my shard alone, thanks.

Adding one or two people to each shard would make little difference to that shard. What “suffering” are you going to experience? Having to compete against one or two extra individuals? I’m sure it’s nice to get top spots with no effort. When you see that there are 1,000 players in a shard that are all getting shafted, how is your reaction “I only care about the slightest inconvenience to myself, and no one else?”

Is that not what your complaint is? You think you are inconvenienced so you want it easier for yourself. You feel you are "suffering" because sone mystery algorithm treated you "unfairly." There is already plenty of competition in my fleet arena with everyone running the same ships at max gear. Will it make a difference if you and a few of your friends join my arena? Yes, yes it will. Do I compete for first every day? No, no I do not, I take care of my family instead.
    #leavemyshardalone

By the way, I don't really care much about this, but the preferential treatment afforded some groups of players in this game is ... unseemly.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    Reyspet wrote: »

Adding one or two people to each shard would make little difference to that shard. What “suffering” are you going to experience? Having to compete against one or two extra individuals? I’m sure it’s nice to get top spots with no effort. When you see that there are 1,000 players in a shard that are all getting shafted, how is your reaction “I only care about the slightest inconvenience to myself, and no one else?”

Is that not what your complaint is? You think you are inconvenienced so you want it easier for yourself. You feel you are "suffering" because sone mystery algorithm treated you "unfairly." There is already plenty of competition in my fleet arena with everyone running the same ships at max gear. Will it make a difference if you and a few of your friends join my arena? Yes, yes it will. Do I compete for first every day? No, no I do not, I take care of my family instead.
    #leavemyshardalone

By the way, I don't really care much about this, but the preferential treatment afforded some groups of players in this game is ... unseemly.

How is there any preferential treatment? The devs have already stated that this group is being UNFAIRLY treated at the moment and are attempting to redress that.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Lol, you really believe it is unfair because your arena is "too hard." Nah man, you are just the squeaky wheel that they want to grease because there might be a business advantage to it. Whatever.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    Ghost_Goh wrote: »
    Here’s the conservative math...

6 months @ 4 weeks per month @ 7 days per week = 168 days.

168 days @ 100 extra ship currency for finishing top 200 instead of top 500 = 16,800 extra ship currency.

16,800 ÷ 2,000 currency per mat =

8.4 zeta mats missed out on.

What are you talking about? It’s not been 6 months since we are in this shard. It’s been 1.5 years!
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Lol, you really believe it is unfair because your arena is "too hard." Nah man, you are just the squeaky wheel that they want to grease because there might be a business advantage to it. Whatever.

"Squeaky wheel gets the kick!" - Minsc
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    Antares wrote: »

168 days @ 100 extra ship currency for finishing top 200 instead of top 500 = 16,800 extra ship currency.

What are you talking about? It’s not been 6 months since we are in this shard. It’s been 1.5 years!

It’s more like:

500 days of ships, each day we missed at least 200 ship currency. That makes 100k currency missed, or 50 zeta mats. That’s the conservative number!

• I do appreciate that something is being done about it now. However I honestly feel there should be some sort of compensation for those affected. Regardless of what we may have spent them on (toons, ships, zetas), I think it's fair to say a number of us have gotten rewards well below what we may otherwise have gotten.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Has fleet been ingame for 1.5 years already? dang, time flies.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

November 2016 iirc. Time indeed flys. :)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

November 2016 iirc. Time indeed flys. :)

gosh darn it, i ruined my own pun by not being able to spell correctly.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Antares wrote: »

Yep. Multiply it by what you want. I’ve just EXCLUSIVELY purchased zeta mats in ship shop for at least 6 months. No other use for the ship currency so I’m trying to make a very conservative appeal. That’s all.