Jack of all trades or master of one?

Hi all, I've been playing for a few months now. Got my Phoenix farmed (except Sabine) and up to G8-9. I'm slightly struggling for where to go now. I have some vague directions but a little unsure of just how much resources to allocate to what. My main aim is to get ready for the Tarkin Zeta challenge then build my empire team up with Scoundrels on the side.

So, here's an example of what I'm rambling about:
KRU is about to hit 5*. Would I be better of rounding out some other pilots now (such as FTP at 2* or geo soldier at 2*) up to the 4-5* mark or just smashing KRU up to 7* then focusing on one pilot at time? I'm looking at the specific context of being ready for the zeta challenge as opposed to overall fleet ranking.

Replies

• Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    @poodletron this is a good guide for early players.. worth a read
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/143909/adaptive-f2p-guide-2-0#latest

Basically pick 5 farm then
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    I would focus on an EP lead squad. You can build up your empire arena team and your fleet squad at the same time. It's easy to farm and doesn't eat up too many resources. Then you can branch out to CLS and other farms.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    For pilots, I would keep working on Kylo unmasked until he and the TIE Silencer are 7*. One really good ship is often enough to overcome a few mediocre ships, and you get the most benefit from the last star.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    It depends on what's important to you.

If Arena placement is important, then become a master of that (to extend your metaphor) and work solely and exclusively on your arena team to the expense and detriment of your roster as a whole. You'll find plenty of guides on how to do that, because it seems to be the default position of a lot of people on the forum--not the leastofwhich the people who write guides on the forum.

But I"m here to tell you as someone who went for roster depth and bredth, you can do fine building out instead of building up. My recommendation is to pick an event and build your roster to the point where you can complete that event, then move on to the next one. That way you'll have several good squads to use throughout the game, and have decent flexibility if there's a meta shift or if a new event comes out that improves the viability of those teams elsewhere.

The other incredibly satisfying thing about having so many characters is that when something new comes around and you're ready for it, you can come here and read all the people whining and kvetching because they can't use their shiny Lukes. Not to mention the deliciousness of their sour grapes when they say the reward isn't worth it anyway...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    My recommendation is to pick an event and build your roster to the point where you can complete that event, then move on to the next one. That way you'll have several good squads to use throughout the game, and have decent flexibility if there's a meta shift or if a new event comes out that improves the viability of those teams elsewhere.

^^Best advice you will get anywhere.
    This game is meant to be a marathon (with an ever changing end point), not a sprint.
    You can work toward any goal you want, but not every goal at once.
  • So talking very specifically about fleets: if you're prepping for the zeta challenge, I'm guessing you're going for Silencer, TIE Fighter, FO TIE Fighter, Scimitar or Sun Fac's Fighter, and TIE Advanced or Slave 1. And maybe SF? The good news is that out of ALL those ships, only KRU and TFP overlap in Cantina farming. Because KRU's ship also comes from Cantina, and because a 7* ship early on in fleet arena can be so powerful, I'd definitely finish KRU to 7* before working on TFP. Keep buying TIE Fighter shards at every opportunity; it takes much, much longer to level the ships than to level the pilots.

If you're building a squad where two toons come from the same source (like when you were farming Phoenix, for example) where you might want to alternate stars on toons (Ezra to 3*, then Hera to 3*, then Ezra to 4*, etc.). Fleet is a little different because while the strength of the pilots determines the strength of the ships, the stars on the ships unlock the challenge levels. I used a 1* Geo Soldier in a 4* ship to get 5* Executrix because getting Slave 1 to 4* was taking too long.