What's your opinion on the store packs?

Let me start by saying this is not a rant post or a post demanding changes. I'm just curious to see what everyone's opinion is about the shard packs.

The only pack I have bought so far was one of the Rogue One packs. I misunderstood the pack details ( it was written in Japanese. I live in Japan). And I was kind of new to the game and I didn't get what I was expecting. So I was disappointed with what I got.

Fast forward and now I understand how this game works. I understand the time line of character releases. And knowing this information has prevented me from buying any shard packs. So in total, I think I've spent like 700 yen on this game.

But then here comes Bossk. I'm really liking the new bounty hunter mechanics. They are a lot of fun and I really want to try using a higher level Bossk. And I could do that, right? But how much would I have to pay? I want to buy a couple of packs, but I can't justify the unpredictably of the results at such a cost.

So has anyone bought any of the Bossk packs and what were your results? What do you think about the payout of the packs? Should there be such a gamble? 1299 yen is not a lot of money, but when you think of how many packs it may take, it gets really expensive.

Replies

• If I absolutely wanted a character and couldn't wait, but the packs with guaranteed 30 shards. Packs for crystals, expect 5-10, with 10 being rare.
  • MistahShowtime
    68 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    The packs are overpriced and never worth buying. 5-330 shards? It's a proven fact you're spending $300 on average to 7* a character with those packs. $300 for a full unlock is ludicrous no matter how you look at it. Even then, you still have to level, gear, and mod the character after. But, so long as people keep buying them the price will never change. It may even go up.
  • Pending on your budget- buy the straight money pack and if you want to get more get the crystal pack. If you’re trying to get to 7* it will get expensive but getting to 4* shouldn’t be bad.

It’s your money, if you enjoy something why not spend on it?
    Flip side to that is - he ll be farmable in a few months.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yeah $200-300, is the "average ", I doubt it will go up, that has been the average price range of a toon even back to the auroduim packs.

That's a 3-5 month advantage for you. But less of your not hoarding gear or willing to spend on the gear too.
  • So basically getting really lucky and getting 330 shards is a 'never tell me the odds' situation because it's pointless. Haha

I guess my initial gut feeling about it is correct then. I'll just patiently wait for him to be released.

On a side note -- I wonder how much potential money is lost from this game due to the high costs like that. But on the other hand, I know that because of the long wait for getting new characters it keeps us playing longer.
  • Ironicstan wrote: »
    So basically getting really lucky and getting 330 shards is a 'never tell me the odds' situation because it's pointless. Haha

I guess my initial gut feeling about it is correct then. I'll just patiently wait for him to be released.

On a side note -- I wonder how much potential money is lost from this game due to the high costs like that. But on the other hand, I know that because of the long wait for getting new characters it keeps us playing longer.

That’s def the gamble thinking you will beat the odds. You haven’t needed Bossk yet , you should be good till he’s farmable.
    Also - to the players that do spend , ty. It’s why this game is as ftp friendly as it is.
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    not worth it. I leveled Fulcrum that way and now I am sorry I did, she’s not viable. A full 2/3 of the roster can be tossed because they are not viable anywhere.

I almost made the mistake of buying the vHan and vChewie pack then realized it was no longer worth it. I have better scoundrels, they are only a $200 pay wall to Rey buying the 14k crystal refresh each. I can’t justify them no matter how much I want Rey. Bossk is a bench warmer. He does not fit into the STR BH option.
  • Id pay $100 up front for a game that worked a few bucks for a skin.
    Spending for power isnt fun , no skill needed there apart from ego , play the stock market for that at least you have a chance of a return.
    Came into this game early thinking i would be able to pick what toons i wanted to wrk on then slowly the forced gameplay came in , must have this and that rubbish and if ya dont ya feel like your letting ur guild down ..
    This isnt a game of Star Wars more like a game to empty ur pocket for something they can close dwn in 30 days when it suits , whos being played ?